Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on September 10, 2013
Disappointing book. Many of the questions are written to amuse rather than enlighten. The author encourages readers to use the book to record answers but then the space isn't given in the design to do more than tiny writing in tiny boxes, if there's space at all. The questions aren't arranged in a way that builds inquiry. I got little inspiration and means to reflect on survival or fulfillment. Wish I'd not taken the author's advice to write in the book immediately because I now wish I could return it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This 1 star is not a review for the book but it's for Amazon (and myself). This is not a book suitable for Kindle or any electronic device. For this book to be of any use you need a hard copy. Don't buy the Kindle version. Shame on Amazon for even offering it that way. Shame on me for not researching the contents.
on February 13, 2012
The book itself is great, thought-provoking, very helpful in making decisions. If I were reviewing the book itself I would give it 5 stars.

But this review is all about the kindle version. I am very disappointed in the kindle version, because of the heavy restrictions. I ordered the kindle version, and had it delivered to my iPad. The print was a little small on some pages, and it's really a workbook, so I decided I would rather read it on my iMac with a text window open beside it, to take notes about the questions. I can't do this. In fact I spent a good bit of time uninstalling and reinstalling the Kindle app, trying the cloud reader, and even my iPhone, without success, until I figured out: This book is restricted to using only one copy on one device. To read it on the mac, it appears I must de-register my iPad, delete the item, and start over. That's a lot of annoying work just to read it on my mac.

It's particularly annoying, because I chose to order the kindle version (which is MORE expensive than the print version) so that my books would be portable! Usually I love kindle books, but this experience was really unsatisfactory.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2012
I'm sixty-three years old and have been a self-help junkie as long as I can remember. While recently going through my garage, I discovered I'd bought two and three copies of the same book more than once, and most likely read them all, because after a while everything seems to give the same advice and ask the same questions.

I Kindled this book on a whim. It was the middle of the night, I didn't want to work, and I didn't want to get back into the mystery I'm currently reading. I found myself laughing out loud (to the dismay of my husband), and even bursting into tears when something really struck home. The fast pace of this irreverantly funny and immensely useful book kept me thinking until, amazingly enough, I actually drew some honest conclusions (a rare event).

If you want to take an entertaining but thorough look at yourself, buy this book! If you've read basic dreary self-help books before, you'll understand all the questions and be able to scribble out a psychological profile that will give you some real insight.

(P.S. I did also order the actual book because I want to be able to mark it up. The author would want it that way.

UPDATE: I got the actual book and it's tiny. I thought it was hard to read on Kindle; it's virtually impossible to read in book form, even with reading glasses (which I almost never need); even my forty-three year old daughter said she couldn't read it. And there's no room to write! What was the author thinking? This should be a user-friendly, scribble-all-you-want book, and there's literally no room for anything. The size, formatting, and font choice may be cute, but they make the book useless.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2012
I went through this book for about an hour, jotting down answers for these questions, then fell asleep and it didn't occur to me to return to it since. It seems to be geared towards people with severe personal problems who get easily depressed. Can't say it stirred any creativity.
on July 29, 2012
Amazon recommendations continues to shove this piece under my nose, so I decided to check it out. What a joke!

This book consists of something that, at first glance, appears to be flowcharts, meaning a lot of boxes connected with arrows. However, what the goofball who wrote it doesn't understand is that a flowchart is used not to give a number of unrelated tasks in a random order, but to represent a logical progression of steps whereby every step is a result of your answer to the previous one. The questions usually are of the "yes or no" kind, not "describe where you are at the moment", so that a choice can be made based on whether it was a yes or a no. What we have _here_ is a chaotic and random-looking assemblage of unrelated questions, mushy and vague, which, instead of being printed one after another as a list, for some reason are put in boxes that are meaninglessly connected with arrows. You can ask the same questions in any other order, there'll be no change.

In addition, it's not clear what you're supposed to do with all the answers: once you work through a page, that's it. Nothing is derived from your answers.... it's like you go to a doctor who then pulls out a huge gaudy flowchart with boxes and arrows and starts questioning you in a Mad-Hatter fashion: What is the colour of your granma's headdress? Do you feel festive on Mondays? When driving, brake by pumping or you're no good (not a question, to begin with, but so what). Is your stool too soft, describe please. Jim Blahm likes his tea with lemon, describe yourself, how about milk? Where were you on the night of March 25 1993? Where do you imagine yourself in five years? -- and then, having exhausted the questions on the chart, stops, and instead of an expected diagnosis and treatment suggestions, turns off the lights and shows you to the exit. Geez, well, thanks, Doc, it was nice talking to you -- and as to my being indisposed, never mind that: just sharing about stool and 1993 made me feel so much better: much obliged, much obliged, why thank you very much indeed [exeunt].

Bottom line: typical "advice" crap. Why this cutesy nonsense was published is a mystery to me: silly and incompetent, the book is entirely useless; positive reviews must have been posted by friends and family.
----------------
Comment appeared, from someone R. Blumenthal; he regales us with the following imbecility:
> Wow, 'Ghost'! What a shameful piece of bile-spewing
> you've indulged in. All because the book didn't fit
> with your narrow definition of how a flow chart
> is supposed to operate.
Wow, Blumenthal! Guess what? -- there aren't multiple definitions of the flowchart: a flow chart is a flow chart is a flow chart. You must be one of those "artistic" types with a lot of "creative", "spiritual", multi-culti mush for a brain. This might disturb you a bit, but 2 + 2 = 4 : that's not "my narrow definition", that's what it is, believe it or not. Same with flowcharts. So, instead of acting like a rebarbative dingbat, why not get an education, eh? Till that takes place, kindly stfu.
---------
01/22/2023: The author visited here and left a comment:
Stefan Bucher wrote:
>This is a small detail, but I don't ever actually refer to the graphs in
>the book as flowcharts.
You don't need to refer to a flow chart as a "flow chart" for it to be a flow chart. If you make a car with a steering wheel that doesn't turn, you can't wiggle out by saying "well, I didn't refer to that thing as a steering wheel". It doesn't matter whether you refer to a well-known entity as this entity for it to be this entity. If you don't know how to use it, it's 'cause you're stupid, not cause it's something else.

>Only a prominent review of the book does.
Because what this book holds is flowcharts. They're used in a half-witted way, but they are, graphically, flow charts.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2012
Did not find this little book to be the least bit insightful or inspiring. Did find it to be very dissappointing.