5.0 out of 5 stars BIG COLLECTION low price

3.0 out of 5 stars Keith Is Keith, But The Release Is Questionable
Published on May 6, 2008 by Kevin T. Rodriguez

5.0 out of 5 stars BIG COLLECTION low price, May 15, 2008
This review is from: 35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] (Audio CD)
This is an excellent collection at a low price. The 35 tracks contain the majority of his hits from 1993 on. We can always quibble over what should have been included or excluded or if She's a Hottie should be included. However, there is over two hours of solid Toby Keith hits on two CDs for under forty cents a song. That is real value and a hard buy to pass up. Unless you have not listened to music since the 1990s, you have heard one of these songs. A number of them are radio standards and will stay on the radio play lists for years. Unless you can't stand the new Nashville sound, this is a great collection of songs that you will listen to again & again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keith Is Keith, But The Release Is Questionable, May 6, 2008
This review is from: 35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Back in 1993 the music industry was introduced to a new album from a man named Toby Keith. The album, self-titled "Toby Keith," didn't give the singer a look that screamed "star," but the songs sure did. The album produced four hit singles and was solidified platinum. And a star was born. Since then Keith's accomplishments in the music world have been phenomenal. He's had numerous number one hits, and all of his CD's have sold gold, with most going platinum. Not only did Keith become one of the biggest country singers in the music industry, he became one of the biggest singers in the music industry PERIOD! Now, I'm a big Toby Keith fan, but ever since establishing his own record label Keith has been releasing a new album every year. On top of that he's been in movies, TV specials, and contributed to soundtracks.

While this may sound great, his CD's have been...let's say, mostly sub-par. Yeah there is at least a couple of entertaining tracks, but if you took all the hits he's had since his last greatest hits album you'd have a decent album. Not a great album, a decent album. Which makes the inclusion of a third greatest hits CD a mere four years after the previous one puzzling. Acknowledging that Keith hasn't had too many "real" hits since then is what most likely contributed to this being a career spanning hits album instead of a standard hits album. So what is on this career spanning collection? Well for starters it contains all the songs that were on previous greatest hits albums (as far as I can tell), so longtime fans who pick this CD can throw those two CD's away (or bring them to a used music store). So "Dream Walking," "I Wanna Talk About Me," and "How Do You Like Me Now?" are all here.

Some of his weaker "hits" like "Mockingbird" and the Willie Nelson duet "Beer For My Horses" even makes the cut. Since these songs are making third or forth appearances I'll skip those songs and look at what's been added. From what is (arguably) his weakest album, "Honkytonk U," "As Good As I Once Was," and "Big Blue Note" all make the cut here. For me these are all poor songs...with the exception of "As Good As I Once Was," and even that's not a particularly memorable tune. From the brilliantly titled (though still very underwhelming) album "White Trash With Money" we get "Get Drunk and Be Somebody" and "A Little Too Late." "Get Drunk and Be Somebody" is a no-brainer, as I feel it's one of his most fun songs in years, and "A Little Too Late" is also a good song, so it's good to see them here.

It's a shame that "Crash Here Tonight" (which was also featured on the "Broken Bridges" soundtrack) didn't make the cut. No songs from Keith's Christmas album or "Big Dog Daddy" are here, so either those songs are being held off for the next greatest hits CD, or neither album produced any real hits. The sole new song is "She's A Hottie." And I have to admit, it's pretty bad. Now keep in mind, if this song was on an album filled with new material this wouldn't be an issue, but since it's the only new song on a collection of previously released songs, it stands out as a bit offensive. I'll get to why in a minute. So now here's the question: Should I buy this CD? If you are a new fan, or have never listened to Toby Keith before, then the answer is yes, yes, and yes.

While listening to the full albums will (naturally) provide a more complete and fulfilling experience, this is a great start to one of the best singers on the market. Hardcore fans though...well, not so much. Now, chances are if you are a hardcore Toby Keith fan you'll be buying this collection regardless of any review. I understand, I bought this too. That said, it's too soon for another greatest hits collection. The fact that they had to combine these songs with the old songs proves that there wasn't enough new material to make a new CD.

On top of that, the new songs included are fairly uninteresting, "She's A Hottie" is a lousy song that shouldn't have been released on this collection. It's amazing to think that Keith knew he was only going to put one new song on this CD, and that this was the song he chose. Was this the BEST he could do?! Really? I hope the extra workload doesn't cut into the quality of his songs in the future, but if this song is a glimpse into the future then I'm a bit worried. Still, despite the questionable nature behind the release, this is a great CD for new fans of Toby Keith. Old fans might want to stick with their current CD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD but if it was going to have all his hits up 'til A Little Too Late it should have had these 4 also:, May 20, 2008
This review is from: 35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] (Audio CD)
1998 #40 "Double Wide Paradise" (on Dream Walkin')
1999 #44 "If a Man Answers" (on Greatest Hits Volume 1)
1999 #44 "When Love Fades" (on How Do You Like Me Now?!)
2002 #13 "Rock You Baby" (on Unleashed)

Still a great CD and I agree they shouldn't have edited Who's That Man but I have they original CD so it doesn't bother too much. Still sold my 2 Greatest Hits CDs and got enough to upgrade to get this.
It would have been nice to put Santa, I'm Right Here on this set as a bonus since that's also a great song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Career-spanning retrospective, September 6, 2009
This review is from: 35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] (Audio CD)
After years of struggling to get anybody in the music business to take him seriously, Toby first made the big time in 1993 with Should've been a cowboy, which was one of the must popular country songs of the nineties, and he has maintained a consistently high level of success since, up to the release of this compilation. He knows, as all singers do, that success with new material won't last forever, but you can be sure that he'll be trying to keep his career going for as long as possible.

The compilation title wasn't entirely accurate even at the time of release, but it contains all the hits that matter from the period 1993 to 2006. This includes the big hits from his first album on Toby's own label, Show Dog Nashville, which was titled White trash with money. Although this compilation dates from 2008, it doesn't contain any of his big hits from his 2007 album, Big Dog Daddy, which is fair enough as the album was his current original album at the time. As seems to be the custom with hits compilations by current performers these days, Toby recorded one song, She's a hottie, specially for the compilation. Released as a single, it made the country top twenty.

Three duets are included here, these being I'm so happy I can't stop crying (with Sting, whose musical tastes appear to be very eclectic, though he also recorded a duet with Tammy Wynette, so he enjoys some country music) , Mockingbird (with his daughter, this is a cover of the classic pop song written and first recorded by Charlie and Inez Foxx, but which is more famous via the Carly Simon and James Taylor cover) and Beer for my horses (with Willie Nelson). Of these, Mockingbird was only a modest country hit (though I think it deserved to be a big hit) but the other two were both huge hits. Toby has also recorded duets with other singers including the Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffett, but those recordings are outside the scope of this hits compilation.

Toby was very successful during the early part of his career when he recorded for Mercury. Following his debut success with Should've been a cowboy, he had many other big hits, my favorites among them being (in the order in which they were released, which isn't my order of preference) A little less talk and a lot more action, Wish I didn't know now, Who's that man, You ain't much fun, A woman's touch Does that blue moon ever shine on you and Me too, though I love all the other songs too. Having bought the earlier Greatest hits volume 1, I had these songs already, but for one reason or another, I never bought any of Toby's other music, apart from his first Christmas album (filled with original material), until I bought this compilation. With the exception of one minor hit that wasn`t successful enough to merit inclusion here, If a man answers, all the tracks from that compilation are to be found here.

It seemed that Toby's career was beginning to fade when he switched to Dreamworks in 1998. That was a good move, because during his years with that label he became even more successful than he had ever been before.

During his Dreamworks years, Toby became known for his political views although I'm not clear whether this was because he started recording political songs, or whether he made his political views clear before he started recording those songs. One of the most controversial songs was Courtesy of the red white and blue, which ultimately started some bad feelings between Toby and the Dixie Chicks. Natalie Maines once wore a T-shirt emblazoned with an acronym that she said stood for Friends United in Truth and Kindness, but few people believed her claim even before she eventually admitted what everybody had concluded anyway.

Of his solo hits on Dreamworks, my favorites include (in the order in which they were released, which isn't my order of preference) How do you like me now?, My list, I love this bar, Whiskey girl, As good as I once was and Big blue note. But as with his earlier Mercury hits, Toby had so many great songs that your favorites may be among the songs I haven't mentioned.

Toby sings great songs, many of which he wrote or co-wrote, though he's happy to record original songs written by others as well as the occasional cover. Toby's gritty voice may not appeal to everybody, but it is a real country voice so it's no surprise that he is popular among country fans. Every country fan should have at least one Toby Keith album. If you only want one collection of Toby's music, this is the one to buy, containing as it does all his big hits from 1993 to 2006.

4.0 out of 5 stars What I did know... Now!, July 31, 2014
This review is from: 35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] (Audio CD)
This is a great CD with many wonderful songs. Toby Keith has a melodic voice and a hard driving style - inspiring!
I was glad to see songs like "I Should've Been a Cowboy", songs that bring back that nostalgia so closely related to music. "Me Too" and "What I Didn't Know Now" are two of my favorite songs on this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars stimulating, June 18, 2008
This review is from: 35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Hi I first heard about Toby Keith when i saw his movie Broken Bridges as i live in Australia we are not always up to date with your Country and Western singers. I was very impressed with the songs in the movie and got the soundtrack album. Then i saw advertised this album 35 Greatest Hits and i thought that i liked his voice so much i would get this album. I find his songs so varied and this reflects in his voice. His music has a very pleasant sound that you can listen to over and over. I feel that i will get many years of enjoyment listening to Toby Keith and i am very happy to have discovered his music. Thankyou Toby Keith and keep dishing out the songs and albums for all to appreciate your music. thanks all for reading this review and i hope you buy his albums and appreciate his music as much as i do. cheers from down under here in australia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd worth the money., October 3, 2014
I'm a metalhead I LOVE hard rock and metal I am also southern I grew up listening to country and even though I dearly love metal there still is a part of me that still loves good country artists like toby keith. This cd has many of his songs I remember listening to in High school and their still just as good most make me smile or grin. Courtesy of the red white and blue and american soldier are powerful and patriotic songs if you have any pride in your country these songs will hit you hard and make you feel even more proud of this great country and those who protect it. I would tell anyone who loves music buy this its good for those songs alone much less all the other great songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars the ironies of life, December 20, 2014
It's a rae day when a talented musician, writer, vocalist, and entertainer can bring something to the fore which effectively vommunicates life's ironic twist, turns, and revenge(living well) as this does- well-written/produced/played/and presented, it's a delight to hear,but also a warm expression of one soul's accomlishments and reflections on accomplishmentas meadured by the bsrometer of one's striving to succeed agsinst the perspective of a potential lover's cri

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, September 14, 2014
This review is from: 35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] (Audio CD)
What can I say about this "Great CD" - for that matter there are no words to really say about "Toby Keith" - his voice does justice to every song and the songs are great - have listens to this CD several times and each time I hear something different in his songs - from sad to funny, emotional - you really can't go wrong on a "Toby Keith" CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album but could be better, May 7, 2008
This review is from: 35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] (Audio CD)
Let me start out by saying this is an excellent start for new Toby Keith fans. It has all the biggest hits from each of his albums from 1993-2006 plus a new 2008 song "She's A Hottie. Where this greatest hits album goes in the wrong direction as most hits albums do is omitting or leaving off a few big hits. First omission is "Crash Here Tonight" reaching #15 on the country charts. He also omits all three hits from "Big Dog Daddy: "High Maintenance Woman" reaching number 3 on the country charts; Love Me "If You Can" reaching number 1 on the country charts; and "Get My Drink On" reaching number 11 on the country charts. Instead we get "Mockingbird" only reaching number 27 on the country charts; "Getcha Some" only reaching number 18 on the country charts; and "Big Ol' Truck" only reaching number 15 on the country charts. We saw it on Greatest Hits 2, which came out over a year after the Shock N Yall album. He left off all three number one songs from the album. Now he does it again leaving off all three hits from his Big Dog Daddy album. All three hits have come and gone off the charts. Two top ten hits and one Top 11 song. Disc one is 1 hour and 6 minutes long out of 80 minutes allowed on a disc. Disc Two is only 1 hour 1 minute long out of 80 minutes allowed. He could have had one with all his hits untitled "44 Biggest Hits" or one entitled "42 Biggest Hits" which would have all 42 Top 40 country hits out of 44 charting hits. The two left off would be the two songs failing to chart in the top 40. My final gripe is that all these songs are the full length album versions and not the versions you have come to love on the radio. Songs like "A Woman's Touch" 5:36(35 biggest hits version) and 4 minutes (radio version.) "Who's Your Daddy" 3:59 (35 biggest hits version) and 3:09 (radio version.) Finally "I Love This Bar" 5:33 (35 biggest hits version) and 3:51 (radio version.) All 1 minute or longer than the radio versions. All in all this is a good album, but like all greatest hits albums it could use some tweaking. The only perfect greatest hits album I ever saw was "Ultimate" but "Garth Brooks.

Here is my perfect toby keith collection entitled "42 Biggest Hits.

Track Listing:

A Little Too Late #2
High Maintenance Woman #3
Love Me If You Can #1
Get My Drink On #11
She's A Hottie (New Single)

35 Biggest Hits [2 CD]
35 Biggest Hits [2 CD] by Toby Keith (Audio CD - 2008)