5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Price
Published 7 months ago by Tinman Learning

3.0 out of 5 stars Good & Bad
This is an upgrade from the original 3500STB. The only real upgrade is a much improved remote control. The rest of the unit is the same.

Published 8 months ago by TimH

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Price, January 15, 2014
This review is from: iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box with Recording and Media Playback (Electronics)
This product is a DVR(digital video recorder)/tuner that has no monthly fee. It is capable of tuning in over-the-air(free) and cable broadcasts and recording shows to usb hard drive or usb stick. I have connected a 500GB USB drive to the 3500STBII's usb media port and installed a large UHF/VHF antenna in the attic (Get a pro to do this for you.), and now I can (with no monthly fee) record a great number of shows in HD. I primarily watch ABC, CBS,PBS and NBC, so I don't really miss cable; I can also play back any media that I can get on the drive from a computer-- photos, movies, music. This can be done via USB stick or USB drive.

Though, the coolest thing for me is the "EPG" button. Here's how it works: A lot of folks don't know that over-the-air tv stations broadcast the day's list of tv shows along with the tv actual current tv show. So, you can just go to your over-the-air tv station, hit the EPG button and select the show that you want to record in the line up of shows listed for the day. You can also set the the show to be recorded regularly.

The second coolest thing for me is pausing live over-the-air television. Phone rings; wife wants to chat a bit; mailman has a delivery-- no problem-- hit the pause button once to stop and hit the same button to get rolling again.

Is this product perfect? No. I don't like the transparent menu for some menu screens. The EPG screen is currently transparent-- as of this writing, but the main menu is opaque (which is nice). I'm hoping a firmware update will change this, and or that they change it in future versions. The plus for the transparent screen is that you can continue to watch a show/multi task while you fiddle with the EPG menu-- which is why they added this feature.

This tuner has the best reception of any tuner that I've owned. I've owned four different models. If you're getting bad reception with it chalk it up to the antenna.
If you're interested in free over-the-air tuning give up on those super sleek looking tv antennas that mount over/near your tv. Unless you live within 30 miles or less of a tv broadcaster or live in a high rise, they're not going to do the job. Get a pro to install a large UHF/VHF antenna Yeah, just like the ones that many of us grew up seeing on top of houses-- they're just what you need. (There is no such thing as an "HD TV Antenna." It's VHF/UHF(almost same antenna in use since the 50s)=best HD TV Antenna.) I say get a pro for installation, because it can be dangerous-- think aluminum antenna falling into power wires and such. I put mine in the attic to avoid wind and other weather abuse, but they're downsides to that of course.

I would say that a lot of complaints here about this tuner amount to "user error," or nit-picking (like my transparent menu issue). But, come on, folks! The tv tuner alone is worth the price. Now you have a media player and dvr and huge easy-to-use remote. Five stars for that. No monthly fees for a DVR=happiness. For me this thing (along with a large UHF/VHF antenna for great reception) works well.

P.S. Sometimes I feel sorry for folks who work so hard to make products. Imagine going to school to study electrical engineering (a very challenging discipline) or computer science (another very challenging discipline) and studying more to keep current on ever-changing technology. Imagine spending months/years working on a complex product only to have it unfairly "dissed" by an ill-informed or "unwise" reviewer who doesn't take the time to even read the manual or think. Just my two cents. It seems so unfair to me. I don't know what the solution is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good & Bad, December 16, 2013

It does exactly what it says . For the money, this little device probably does more than any TV converter box currently available. It takes not only over-the-air DTV signals, but also unencrypted cable (Clear-QAM) and converts them to ANY TV (it has analog, HDMI, RCA and Component connections). PLUS you can connect a USB hard-drive or flashdrive and use it as a VCR-like recorder to record programs for playback on your TV, computer or mobile device. It's perfect if you need an extra tuner for an old TV, a video projector or picture-in-picture tuner, or an easy way to record TV to view on your computer or mobile device. That's the good part.

Now the bad.
Where this unit excels in the potential of the hardware, it fails in the way it is programmed. The user interface is very clunky and programming is somewhat difficult. Depending on your cable company and which firmware version you have, your cable channels with either be missing the channel name or display the channel name and be missing the channel number.

Overall, if you're technically proficient and don't mind researching user forums and experimenting with firmware updates then this unit is well worth $40.00. If however you want your technology to be simple to set up, I would suggest spending more for a easier to use converter box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Near impossible to beat, November 17, 2013
Applause! Applause! to the designers that had the balls to create a product like this at such an affordable price. A digital TV tuner with all the proper outputs for use with older TVs and newer projection systems. PLUS, a USB input you can connect your portable HDD or memory stick and play all the latest formats in music and video…AND allows you to record your favorite programs in mts format (full High Def) which can play back on your computer, etc.
PLEASE NOTE: this is the 3500STBII and shouldn’t be compared with the reviews for the 3500STB. The remote is completely different and more non-directional when in use and issues have been addressed for effortless use. I have my 3500STBII hooked up to my $300 ACER video projector via component (to VGA) cable and the image is sharp and the color spot-on. I have the digital audio output attached to my Sony 5.1 receiver with subwoofer and I get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from most major network channels. Awesome. A great price and a wonderful product.

5.0 out of 5 stars This unit is excellent for what you are paying, February 9, 2014
I just bought another one.

Assuming you have a decent antenna, you should be fine getting a great HD signal over the air. I think I get a better signal that some cable signals I have seen. (I am in metro Los Angeles; your mileage may vary.)

I found the menus were solid, and the build in recorder function surprisingly useful. (You will need an external USB hard drive to use it properly, but I had one laying around.)

You can even see the signal strength of each channel when manually tuning them (and therefore set your antenna up in the right spot).

You can't beat it. I just got an HD TV for $40. (Assuming you have an old computer monitor and a stereo available. But I already do, because I'm watching Netflix all the time.)

You will need to buy a separate HDMI cable if you don't have one.

I liked the remote. Make sure you purchase the -II model, not the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am SO HAPPY!!!!!!, December 31, 2013
(Please note that I am reviewing the latest (as of 12/13) 3500STBII model)

I haven't even tried the USB record/playback feature yet & I am so happy! My other box is an expensive Samsung that only works at all in the 3rd floor of my house. It won't pick up ANYTHING in my living room

The Iview gets ALL local channels in the living room on my main floor, & with a $6.00 RCA antenna!!!!!

Happy New Year TO Me!!!!!!

Funny when one is as broke as I am, how a little thing like this is HUGE!

I can watch TV in my living room again!!!!!!!!! (I can't afford cable at this time).

Set up was easy, I'm using the coax as my other inputs are full from various devices & the picture is still superior to cable (42" 480i Sony). The only issue I've experienced is the auto aspect ratio is worthless, & letterbox isn't always quite right either on my FS. But I'm getting awesome reception & that's all that matters.!

I will eventually try the record feature; I have a dvd recorder, but would prefer to go directly to hard drive for editing....... but no hurry, no big deal! As far as USB playback, I won't need that until I move this to something other than my main TV; I have an Oppo Blu-ray that offers USB playback & works just fine. Edit: I just checked USB playback of an MP4 video file. It works perfect, other than there doesn't seem to be a pause button. It also does music, though is limited to MP3 & WMA (no flac or wav)

My only significant criticism would be the owner's manual, but both set up & the menus are so intuitive it didn't really matter. I paid $30 shipped for this unit & I couldn't be happier.

Edit: Just updated to the latest firmware from the AVS Forum. Went perfectly. This unit is the bargain of the century.

2nd edit: The RCA output is vastly superior to the Coax. I continue to be very pleased with this unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars iView 35ooSTBII Review, March 25, 2014
G. Valentine (3 miles from the Flight 93 crash site) - See all my reviews
The unit was very easy to connect to my TV (HDMI cables). I use 2 types of recording media - - an external hard drive & a flash drive. When I play the recorded show on my TV using the iView unit, everything is wonderful - - HD. HOWEVER, if you remove the hard drive or flash drive from the unit and plug it into a computer, the recorded show is broken down into 5 minute segments. At the end of each segment, you must manually double click on the next 5 minute segment in order to continue the play back. Perhaps there is a software solution to this problem. I will search for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations!, February 3, 2014
So, just a few days before the Super Bowl, I checked to see if my VCR tuner would pull in the channel playing the Super Bowl as it was my intention use it to pick up the signal for our Home Theater Projector. ...and we had about 50 people coming over to watch it on our 12' screen. The VCR was outdated it DID NOT work. In something of a panic I went on-line and discovered the iView. Although it doesn't say it is capable of doing what I wanted it seemed like it should work. They said they weren't in stock but would be by Monday and my ETD would be Thursday. I pulled the trigger and it arrived on Thursday as promised. I set it up and it works way better than I expected. Not only does it deliver an HD 1080i Picture which projected as if we were at the game watching the game through a window, but it also presents channel line-ups through our antennae very similar to cable. We grabbed a 64GB memory stick to record shows too. Can't wait to try it. I really feel this item should be marketed to people with home theater projectors. People would love it! We sure do!

Also, someone asked me if you can watch one channel while recording another? The answer is NO. I think this is because it is just one tuner. It doesn't matter for us as we will use it with our regular TV as a DVR so it can record for us while we watch our regular TV. This is easily done as we hooked up our antennae to a splitter sending one signal to our tv and the other to the iView. The iView is hooked up to the HDMI port on our TV as another input signal allowing us to easily flip between the two.

4.0 out of 5 stars iView Digital Converter Box, March 1, 2014
The iView works great so far - much better than the last converter box I had. It's my third converter box; they only seem to last a year. We'll see how long this one lasts. The iView instruction book is a different story. Some of the information was blatantly incorrect and in some cases, there didn't seem to be any instructions at all. Luckily, it wasn't difficult to figure out how to configure it on my own. Also, batteries were not included for the remote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, February 28, 2014
I connected this device to a small indoor antenna to receive high definition TV. It works well and allows you to record programs in HD using a flash drive or an external hard drive.I installed 5 of these in a retirement home to allow residents to watch high definition TV.
The picture quality and sound quality are excellent(using the raw HDMI audio setting). I bought one to record programs for our home. It is a very cost effective approach for recording programs. Other devices cost at least 5 times as much and require a monthly fee.

2.0 out of 5 stars good converter box, not for recording, February 27, 2014
Great to get your local channels on an old analog TV. As a DVR... not so much. Got this unit in January. It did not record properly from the get go. It would only record the first ten minutes of a program. After contacting support and updating the software, it worked for three weeks. It has now gone back to recording just the first few minutes of an hour long program. The internal clock is off as well. To get the right show, I have to program the unit an hour ahead of the actual time. The program screen is tough to read.. it appears blurred on my TV. IVIEW is making me IRATE.

Rate and Discover Movies