5.0 out of 5 stars A nice device for golfer
Published on September 10, 2012 by Jeff Cymore

3.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need this?
Published on November 10, 2012 by D. Weingard

3.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need this?, November 10, 2012
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
There is no end to a golfer's desire to buy things to improve their swing, and I am no different. So, when I discovered a $500 gift card burning a hole in my pocket, I figured why not? You want to know why not? Because, in the end the GSA will not tell you much that you could not discern for yourself by inspecting your ball flight or divot. On to the review. The makers of the 3BaysGSA appear to be based in the UK or at least somewhere other than the US, so it makes for some strange setup decisions.

GSA Device: The device is about the size of a Jujyfruit or a gumdrop and sits in the hole of the butt end of your club. It is very accurate, and while small, is a bit of a distraction when on your club. Nothing that you cannot get over, and eventually, you probably will get used to it. Lots of people have complained about the blinking red and blue lights, and honestly, you don't need to know what they mean. There is a page on the quick start guide and on the app itself that tells you what the lights mean, but they aren't necessary. Charge the battery with micro USB either from your computer or the AC adapter (provided).

Pairing: No issues here, the device pairs with the iPhone effortlessly via the Settings/Bluetooth settings. Put the GSA into pairing mode, and input the 8888 code and you're good to go. I wonder how it would be if a bunch of golfers at the range were each using a GSA with the same code, but I don't think it's going to see that much user adoption to be a problem.

Application: The app is a little awkward. It basically has 3 views, however: (1) down the line (2) face on and (3) statistics. While the GSA seems pretty accurate drawing your swing arc on both the back swing and down swing,I'm not sure it's as informative as I hoped. It does appear to show you that you have a redirected swing, however, when I compared the arc against the two "pros" provided on the app, they do it too, so I think it's just the way it draws the arc. It's a little small on the iPhone to really have the arc tell you much, though you can play it in 3 speeds and it saves many swings without making you do anything.

The statistics are probably the most useful. The GSA claims to take in over 10,000 inputs, but it shows you about 10 different statistics: (1) Consistency (not too useful (2) Club Head Speed (useful) (3) Tempo Up/Down (very useful), (4) Impact Force (not sure), (5) Back Swing Time (useful) (6) Ball Speed (okay), (7) Down Swing Time (helpful), (8) Carry distance (over reported) (9) Face Angle and (10) Swing Path.

My conclusion is that of these statistics the most helpful are the tempo numbers. Most of the other statistics are only moderately helpful and I'm not sure they will really do anything to help my swing. As I said above, the path and angle is not helpful. If you understand the basics of the swing, the flight or divot will tell you what you need to know. Club speed might be helpful I suppose if you were going to buy new clubs and not get fit for them, but honestly, if you are dropping $300 for a new driver or $1000 on new irons, you are likely to get yourself on a monitor or at least deal with the guy at Golfsmith.

What would have been nice, similar to the golf image capture programs, would be to have some real (actually known) pros to compare your swing with. I am working on my tempo (which the GSA has been helpful), and am trying to emulate an Ernie Els or Louis Ooosheizen type of swing. The GSA tells me what I already know, that my swing is too quick and my transition too violent. But, the GSA gives me only 2 pros and 2 pros I have never ever heard of. The LPGA pro, who has won 2x on tour, is clearly being paid to endorse this product, as her website is linked to GSA. The other guy is a Class AA UK pro. I would take any LPGA or PGA pro that I know, and it would be nice to have about 5-10 pros to compare with. Ping does this with their putter app and cradle, and I don't know why GSA canont do it too.

Extras: The app allows you to export your data via Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and Email. Sounds great, but in practice it's just a jpeg of the statistics page. Perhaps it could be useful to send to your pro, but the biggest issue with the data is that the GSA has not given you the ability to export the data into Excel or something that would allow you to compare the data over time. It's possible it has this option, but if it does, I haven't been able to find it.

Conclusion: This is a "nice to have" but not a "need to have." As great as it might be for helping me with tempo, it's just as easier and far cheaper to get a metronome and just work on tempo with audible help. For distance, the GSA over reports the distance (I don't hit an 8 iron 150 in the air), but really who cares. Laser to the flags at your range and focus on determining distance that way. Face angle/path? Again, look at the divots and ball flight. In the end, you're better off investing in a swing capture app (like V1 golf) and a tripod or something to take an image down the line and face on and determine what it is you are mechanically doing wrong.

3 stars because some people may want luxury item, but I am not seeing that I will pull this out very often.

Pros: small, lightweight, accurate, pairs easily

Cons: questionable help, strange app that takes a while to learn how to navigate, numbers only moderately helpful. Expensive for what it provides. No ability to export data into Excel or spreadsheet (or other program) to enable review of numbers over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice device for golfer, September 10, 2012
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
I am a 20 handicap, and I actually bought this GSA unit before I read the comments, and I decided to give the 3bays guys a more objective review. First of all, the packaging that the unit came with was astonishingly pretty, looking every bit the $199 that I paid for (as a matter of fact I might buy one for my father for Xmas). It contained a charger, a small leather pouch and also the guide. While the quickstart guide was sufficient to get me started, i found more tips on their [...] facebook site too. The GSA Pro apps download was a breeze from Appstore and I don't see any confusion.

I then went to the driving range, plugged in the GSA into the hole on the grip, which by the way is very smart I think, because you will hardly feel it at all, and started to swing. From the apps I was able to read off parameters such as club head speed, tempo and view my swing plane. Between the avatar showing the swing arc and the parameters, I just need to swipe between the screens.

What I found most useful is that with this device, I can actually also practice in doors, and not necessarily at the driving range.

Finally I have been a golfer for the past 8 - 10 years, and perhaps also due to my engineering business, I haven't practice enough. Hopefully with this device, I can now practice more often and be able to analyze my swings.

In short, I actually think that this is one of the most interesting golf training aids I have purchased (the other being a Medicus), I have bought it for myself and plan to buy one for my father. I probably won't buy one for my mother-in-law, I don't want her to brag that she is now better in golf than I am.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than what I had expected, February 15, 2013
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
I have received the GSA pro via mail today, and have played around with it for about an hour.
I just started playing golf about 2 weeks ago, so all I have done was just to practice my swings with a 9 iron.
I got one of these because I wanted to practice my swings at home; but one can only do so much by oneself, because you don't know what you're doing right/wrong.

Here are the reason why I thought it was better than my expectations:

1: I go to the PGA Superstore where they have a nice indoor driving range facility, and the ball carry distances for the two--GSA Pro and what the folks at the PGA Superstore use--are quite similar.

2: Contrary to what the "The most helpful critical review" has mentioned, yes, you can send your swings via email or share them via your SNS account--Facebook, Twitter, etc. There must have been an update to the app; and it could be pretty helpful.

3: Furthermore, you could compare your swing with a PGA pro. Granted, there are only two pros--1 gent, and 1 lady--available for comparison, but hey, one could definitely use a comparison. You can now have the two swing paths simultaneously and see what you are doing right/wrong.

Here are some of the things that I did not like:

1: Plugging the GSA device into the golf club made me worry a little bit, because I was worried that I might break the pointy tip while putting it in. Further, the device did not go in fully inside the club. I don't know if that would impact accuracy, but it made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

2: Like the other reviewer has mentioned, it occasionally does not pick up the swing. Mine, too, has a rate about once per 10-15 swings--out of 60 swings, it has failed to record 5-6 swings. Not many, but more than what I would like. For all my swings I made sure I wait till the steady blue light came on, but it just didn't pick up for some reason.

3: Although the app shows graphs of your performance, you can't click on a specific swing and see the details of it. Say, you are looking through your swings and want to see how your swing was for the swing that had the longest carry. The only way you could do it is to manually swipe through swings to get there.

Regardless, I still find this very useful. I think it's not just about all numbers and such, but what you make of it. I am working on fixing my slice and hip rotation, and this actually does help. However, I would like to try other stuff before I would recommend it.

****UPDATE 2/18/2013****

This little thing deserves an update, as I have realized that someone might experience a similar encounters.

1: If you are unable to pair the two devices, read this first. You might see the GSA Pro listed on Bluetooth, and when you try to connect it, it won't connect. Further, you are not able to see the device anymore no matter how many times you try to push the button.
If this happens to you, there is no need to panic. First, reboot your iOS by holding the hold+home button for a while; even when you see the "Slide to power off", ignore, and keep on holding on to the 2 buttons. The screen will turn black, and now let go. Then, turn the iPhone back on. I noticed this problem happens when you press the GSA for too long. As soon as you see the red and blue lights flash, let go, then try the pairing again.

2: I have swung a number of times without an error in recording it. It seems that when you do some exotic moves while swinging doesn't register the swing. Further, because of where it sits on the iron, I sometimes hit it when swinging. When I don't do those things, it works really well, it seems.

Here is a reason why I have decided to drop a star to a 4-star rating. This is a real bummer, because even when you miss a shot, it cannot recognize that. I guess, you can't expect too much from a little thing, compared to more expensive mechanisms that use infrared lights. However, I find it annoying when I topple the ball and roll it, but see that I have driven that ball 150 yards.

Further, the GSA Pro has a tendency to turn itself off after a while for no apparent reason. I thought the battery was dead, but no. I had to turn it back on and it worked fine after that, but it worries me, because I'm afraid that the thing won't power back on.

Lastly, compared to other less expensive swing analyzers, the app doesn't look as appealing as the others. What I mean is that, compared to other analyzers--Swingbyte or SwingTIP, the information don't seen to fly out as soon as you see the screen. Also, I found it annoying that you have to hit "OK" to view your swing--I would like to place the iPhone between my legs and see my last swing as soon as the data is entered, but clicking the "OK" button every time is a bit more annoying that I would like.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, I love it., September 13, 2012
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
I just got this today, went to the range and used it for a few hours. I'm a complete novice at golf, I've been playing just over 30 days. Therefore, my swing can easily become terrible quite quickly and this device helped show what went wrong. I slice quite a bit and sure enough each time I did it told me I had an open clubface and an outside-to-inside swing path. As I made adjustments to my swing mechanics and shots straightened out the results were accurately reflected on my iPhone. Seeing my clubhead speed with each club is pretty awesome too. I'm very satisfied with my purchase and now I can work on my swing at home without having to always be at the range spending on a bucket of balls.

The device comes with a charger and a pretty cool cylindrical storage pouch

There is a negative though, it's not perfect. A little too often it's not recognizing a swing took place. It's not very often but definitely more than I'd like... I'd say somewhere around once every ten to fifteen swings or so. But overall it's not a huge deal and definitely not bad enough to be too annoying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, June 15, 2013
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
The primary purpose of this purchase was to track my swing path. The path, no matter how I swing, appears as an inside out swing. Additionally, circles appear at the top of my backswing and at the end of my follow through - really weird. The only thing worth anything is the swing tempo. Other information is captured but there is nothing that explains what it all means.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device, September 14, 2012
Nana Mizuguchi (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
I don't understand how it works but the instant feed back is amazing. Swing path analysis is helpful. Swing speed, ball speed, club face position, swing path, etc. are all helpful. Will try with trackman soon to see correlation

5.0 out of 5 stars For me this thing rocks, January 10, 2014
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
I've used this only in a golf dome hitting balls and recording on my Ipad. It seems to reflect pretty much how my swing works, my club head speed and distance seem pretty right on. Not sure of club head path and head angle but over all it's pretty good bang for the buck, the tempo is really neat. I put my son-in-law on this thing and again, CH speed and distance seemed right on for him, his tempo is way quicker than mine but I'm old, he's younger. I'm not sorry at all for purchasing this and will use it on the outdoor range this spring. I'm working on trying to get my club head speed UP a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Bays Analyzer, February 19, 2014
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
I've owned this now for about 7 mo.s so here;s the value and the limitations. It does offer 10 items that are important to a golfer, Consistency with multiple swings, Club Head speed, Tempo, Impact Force, Back and down swing times, ball speed, carry distance, Face angle and swing path. All items are important and need to evluated if you're looking to improve your game. One of the most important statistics is ball speed. This is a algorithm that incorporates club head speed, face angle and the club angle (8 iron @ 35 degrees) to determine calculated distance. if the face is open the maximum distance will not be recognized. This is only a calculated value. Devices such as Trackman truly measure this value but are also 35 x $ as much. For $200.00, this is a great value and allows the standard golfer to use this indoors/outdoors and obtain the same results. During this winter, I've been working on clubhead speed using a Somax trainer. This tool allows me to monitor my progression as well as visually comparing my swing paths via the avatar video simulation. The biggest issue I've found with this is making sure the device is properly positioned in the end of the grip. This easily slides into the end, but needs to be continually minitored to ensure its aligned properly. By no means is this a problem, just a note. Otherwise if misaligned, it will not provide the feedback. The images can be copied and emailed. I've sent an image to a golf pro via email who commented on the results and made a recommendation.
Good Luck,
Dana from Connecticut

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, July 1, 2014
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
I was bought this as a present, after looking at many products and reviews and videos, I got this device, it does the most important thing for me. it shows my swing path which is what most amateur golfer struggle with or need to know, everything else is just a bonus. I have only tried it for 1 session down the range so far with my girlfriend there watching to see what she spent all her £££ on. trying to impress her my swing was awful as I was just trying to hit it as hard as I could and it showed my swing path very accurately each time was a big out to in (worst session at the range for years I may add). I have lesson's with the golf pro at my club and will be using this between lesson and with him in lessons. great product. :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, execution a shank., September 23, 2014
Rafael E (Casselberry, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer (Electronics)
The app is awful, does not give the pro numbers for lefties and it's impossible to navigate. Clearly some features were added as second thoughts, disproportionately shrinking the screen to slap extra buttons on the interface. It might be tolerable if the hardware would work properly, but on every swing you have to readjust the alignment. Took 6 swings and the thing fell off the grip. Keep in mind these were brand new grips, installed the week before. Not worth the trouble imho.

3Bays iOS Version Golf Swing Analyzer