Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2013 2:29:44 PM PDT
Trying to make the classic, MGM 1939 Wizard of Oz into a 3D movie is wrong on so many levels. If you're going to do that, you might as well re-make the whole thing (been done, none of them successful) and have all the CGI that goes with it.

Posted on May 9, 2013 8:39:48 AM PDT
Darrin S. says:
This is a travesty. Leave classics alone. No more conversion to 3-D! If it wasn't filmed in 3-D, let it be.

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 11:09:11 AM PDT
Baby Charm says:
How is the 3D in this version? I have this movie on DVD, I am buying this version because it is in 3D. I was glancing over the reviews and I didnt see anyone commenting on the 3D effects. Can someone tell me if it is worth buying please?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2013 11:15:09 AM PDT
Baby Charm says:
I don't agree. When I think of any movie I would like to see in 3D The Wizard of Oz is the first movie that comes to mind. This movie is just magical. Last night I saw the new Oz movie and with all of the amazing effects they could have used, It didnt even come close to the original. I never expected it to be better but I did expect it to be better then it was. Back to the 3D conversation, I would LOVE to see a good 3D version of this movie. I can't understand why you would not want to take that trip down the yellow brick road in 3D?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2013 4:05:13 PM PDT
PipeSCL says:
As far as I know, the 3d version is not released yet. I have pre ordered mine, can´t wait to watch the movie and comment it for you.

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 11:32:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2013 11:36:48 AM PDT
Brian T says:
Can't wait to see this. To those who think it's a travesty, tough. This 3D version will NOT replace the conventional 2D version (which will in fact be included in this package). It's just an option for those of us who enjoy 3D at home, especially on fantasy movies just like this one (from any era). If anything, it might convert more people to fans of the format. 3D conversions are infinitely better than they were even a couple of years ago, and the time and effort expended on The Wizard of Oz was substantial, according to the studio itself (via a press release reprinted at The Digital Bits):

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The new 3D version of film is also being re-released into IMAX 3D theaters for a one-week engagement in North America starting on 9/20. "The 3D conversion was a long and complex project which Warner Bros. initiated with a very high resolution (8K) scanning of the original Technicolor camera negative. The restored 2D image was then transformed by creating a depth-map of each frame to construct 3D imagery and determine distances from the viewer's vantage point. This was followed by the long process (with the use of a rotoscope) to further refine viewer distances and fully layer shapes and objects."

"People have asked for years about The Wizard of Oz 3D conversion. My answer was always, `We're not doing it until it's perfect.' And now it is," said Ned Price, Warner Technical Operations' Vice President of Mastering. "As a kid, I was so enthralled by this film. Watching it, you just want to enter the frame, enter the Land of Oz. This new version will allow you to do just that."

Really looking forward to seeing this, and frankly I'm not even the biggest fan of the film!

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2013 5:33:44 PM PDT
Baby Charm says:
Thank you for this post. I also cannot wait to see it in 3D. I really do not think there is a film that can capture the imagination as much as this one does. I love 3D. I always have. I remember wearing the red and blue glasses and being amazed at how amazing everything looked then. Now I have a ew 3D tv, its just unbelievable! Again, I cant see how people would turn their back to this. Im so happy they are releasing this version of The Wizard of Oz!!!

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 11:08:52 AM PDT
compsciguy says:
Speaking of converting old movies to 3D, how about Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho? the knife stabbing Marion Crane, and coming RIGHT OUT OF THE TV SCREEN would be the scariest thing ever.

Posted on Jul 7, 2013 10:28:10 AM PDT
I will be interested to see just how good a conversion CAN be. Having just purchased my first 3D TV, and the supporting sound/video equipment, I now need quality media to enjoy. After, of course, I see star trek in 3D. :-) The possibilities of applying this technology to the millions of prior feet of film is quite exciting to think of.

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 4:25:14 PM PDT
Cat says:
I don't see the point to making it 3d. Most of the enhanced movies turned into 3d just end up having a shadowbox effect: a bit of depth and that's it.

Also, what are they changing in the bluray release that wasnt on the last one?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2013 7:07:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 27, 2013 7:07:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 15, 2013 10:00:29 AM PDT
Neil Elliot says:
I LOVE "THE WIZARD OF OZ" I first saw it in the theatres somewhere around 1950. I decided that I, at the age of 8, should be the Lion, and to this day I can "put 'em up" with the best of them. I LOVE 3D. Probably one of the few pre-teenagers of my group who saw KISS ME KATE in 3D and couldn't stop "wiving it wealthily" for days. So, when it comes to combining the two, I am all for it. I was underwhelmed with the new 3D OZ movie...though there were some clever "homages" to the original, the lack of magic from some of the actors was the big let down. Visually it was beautiful, but all wrapping and not great contents does not a movie make. So, next week I am off to see The Wizard at the new Chinese owned (Grauman's) Chinese Theatre, which has been re-fitted to house an IMAX theatre within the original theatre. This is the only reason, at this time, to even think about buying a 3D tv, but once that overture starts I know it wouldn't matter if it were on my little black and white tv when I was a kid, or the big screen or an IMAX city block sized screen with new technology 3D, it will be a trip back to my 8 year old dazzled by the true magic of the cinema. Thanks Warner Bros., even though you didn't make it, you've saved it, restored it and given it back to a totally new and different generation based in uber technology, allowing them to see the simple magic of a 75 year old film.....

Posted on Sep 22, 2013 5:06:11 AM PDT
Tony J says:
Saw the IMAX 3D version on September 20 and was blown away. The 3D effect was great--much to my surprise--and the film looked like it was just made. The only thing that gave away the age of the film was the sound of the orchestra on the soundtrack. Still, it was the best I've ever heard it sound. It remains one of my favorite movies as it has since I first saw it over 60 years ago.

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 10:08:57 AM PDT
I LOVED the 3D presentation. The only scene that seemed problematic to me were a couple of beanstalks at the introduction of Munchkinland that were in the foreground, but out of focus (I believe they were like this on the original film elements). Two highlights were Dorothy leaning against a haybale during the first "Over the Rainbow" number, and opening the door to Oz. Even the matte backgrounds were believably rendered with depth. I can only hope the blu-ray can at least get close to what was accomplished theatrically.

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 8:47:39 AM PDT
Xen says:
The 3D was beautiful and added to the charm as well as the foreground .

Posted on Oct 2, 2013 4:06:16 AM PDT
Joe Cascone says:
I was really anticipating the new 3D IMAX release of this film which I have loved fanatically since I was about 6 years old (as well as everything Oz!) which is over 40 years now. The 3D effects were quite pleasing in many spots, but what really MADE it was the depth and quality of the picture. I've seen the movie dozens of times, but this time I saw many things I'd never seen before... emotions, faces in the crowds, details in the artistry. It really blew me away! How does this BluRay (non-3D) transfer compare with the 70th anniversary one? It seems like every few years they re-package it, add a couple of new perks and I "have" to buy it all over again! Must be love.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2013 11:03:08 AM PDT
Will says:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7850/wizard_oz_3d_75th.html

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wizard-of-Oz-3D-Blu-ray/72226/#Review

Posted on Oct 4, 2013 1:48:49 PM PDT
AH-1Z says:
Saw this in 3D @ IMAX. Like many conversions of older films, the 3D gave "depth" to the image, but nothing came "forward" from the screen. The 3D was very well done given the source material, but frankly I didn't think it really added that much.

What blew me away, though, was the restoration. Everyone I know who saw it @ IMAX said they had Never seen Oz like this, even in the occasional anniversary tours the firm has done in theaters in the past. Simply put, it was Sunning. You can see the weave of the actor's costumes, the fit of the masks, etc. . The colors are vivid and bright, it's incredible. Some might even think it's too good; you can see the trap door through which Margaret Hamilton enters and departs Munchkinland. It's more clear that the whole thing is a soundstage (That's also where the 3D backfires a wee bit: The fact that the backdrops are painted, such as the Yellow Brick Road becomes extremely obvious because they don't continue the "depth"), but Who Cares? It's magnificent! Here's an indication: There was a good crowd there when I went, and although just about everyone's seen this movie many times over, at the end the audience applauded.

If the 75th anniversary Blu Ray( Like lots of people, I have no interest in spending the bucks to buy a new TV and player just for 3D movies) is of this same restoration, I will race out and buy it without hesitation.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2013 3:36:16 PM PDT
Ahantrobus says:
How can it matter?
The original will not disappear.
It is the same when there is an outcry about b & w films being coloured.
If people want to see either then they can.
Not a problem.

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 12:13:55 AM PST
I was wondering about this. Naysayers hated colorization, I like it as a supplement (not a replacement). Then they squawked about turning full frame films into widescreen, which I don't like because it cuts off a lot of the picture. But 3D, I'm all for it. Don't have access to a TV to see this Oz, but hope to at some point.

Posted on Dec 23, 2013 6:02:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2013 6:07:37 PM PST
Joyce Cunyus says:
I bought the 75th Anniversary Boxed set, But I'm really disappointed that both the 3-D and the 2-D Blu-ray are in a 16-9 letterbox widescreen format and that the only disk in this boxed set in the 1.33 original standard screen format is on a DVD.
I'm really sad that Warner Bros couldn't have given us a Blu-ray disk in this set in the original standard screen format,
And I may be returning it unopened, I love all the bells and whistles in this boxed set but I really want to have the option of seeing TWOO on Blu-ray in it's original screen format, and this is a real letdown.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2013 12:04:38 PM PST
mgk says:
Well, maybe you SHOULD open it, before complaining. ;-)

The film is in its original screen format on Blu-ray being pillar boxed with black bars left and right of the 16/9-picture - as all HD-movies in 1.33 format are because the "pure" 1.33 format technically doesn't exist in HD. Maybe Warner should have been more clear about this on the cover.

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 2:29:43 AM PST
R D Grimes says:
The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / UltraViolet) I had questions about how good this would be in 3D. I just got a 3D tv last December and recently rented this on the Directv 3D channel and was very impressed with the conversion. I have no problem with post-conversions as long as they are well done and this one was.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2014 7:09:53 AM PST
To people like the regular poster, you really need to get a grip. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT IN 3D. If you don't you will never see it in 3D so what does it matter to you? To those of you complaining that this movie was not made to be in 3D, IT WASN'T MADE TO BE PLAYED ON TELEVISION EITHER! I don't remember Tvs in 1939. I am so glad they are taking movies like this one and redoing them in 3D. People just love to complain.

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 9:51:16 AM PST
hey carrot don't ya love these self professed Ingmar Bergmans?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  May 7, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 5, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about