3D active vs. passive I just wanted to take a few minutes to educate those of you who may purchase this 'highend' led without fully knowing its limitations, mainly the 3D experience. By virtue of considering the hx929 implies that you are interested in not only the best 2d picture money can buy, but also a higher 3d picture. Although this led is the flagship tv from Sony this year, it lags greatly in one aspect that its competitors offer: passive 3d. What this means is that your 3d glasses are more expensive, they're battery powered, are heavy on the head, are only capable of viewing from a certain angle meaning you can't tilt your head, crosstalk between the eyes, and even some clouding.
All of these 3d problems have already been resolved in the last generation of 3d sets, so please do yourself a favor and instead of paying almost 4 grand on a 3d set with mediocre quality, invest in vizio's or LG's 3d sets this year which both offer passive 3d picture. My personal recomendation...LG LW9500 which is both 2d and 3d THX certified. This 3D LED set is by far the tv that should be at the top of your list when considering purchasing a led tv this year.
asked by M. Baseer on April 10, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
votes
This is not necessarily true of the new passive TV's. I agree that there are limitations of the active glasses I own, primarily that your ability to lay down and watch 3D is restricted, but the image quality seen from these passive 3D sets is primitive at best. I had taken consideration in waiting for a new passive 3D set until viewing them in-store. These new sets of passive 3D have a lesser sense of depth than their active 3D competitors as well as there inability to produce a 3D image in 1080p. Their 1080p resolution is limited only to 2D image production and on larger screens, appear very grainy. This is not to say that the next generation of passive 3D will not show improvement in these areas, but I am thrilled with my XBR-55hx929 and dont feel like waiting a likely 2 more years before passive can match this experience.
jhensen answered on July 11, 2011

A
votes
Sony and Samsung (the two most lauded TV manufacturers) among others, are moving towards an active shutter standard since it's consistently outperformed passive 3D.

I plan on buying this TV in November, and would suggest people go to the stores and see what they like best instead of listening to armchair scientists on the internet explain how eyes work.
Amazon Jeff answered on September 14, 2011

A
votes
The flagship set from LG, the LW9500, hasn't come out yet so you can't comment about it just yet. However, you bring up an interesting point regarding passive 3d image quality that is commonly misunderstood. The distinction that must be made is that although each doesn't receive 1080p, both eyes combine for a 1080p viewing experience that is far from being limited or 'grainy.' Without going into the intricate details of how 3d technology actually work, its important to remember that in active 3d, each eye is essentially viewing a separate image due to the production of alternating images. This causes headaches due to eye strain and ultimately a limited 3d experience due to cross talking between your eyes and cloudy images. However, on passive 3d sets, it is actually the opposite. Each eye is not required to interpret images separately but instead both eyes contribute to each viewing frame, just as we see things normally. This creates a natural viewing experience, thus the use of the word passive. Additionally, this eliminates headaches and cross talk, two of the biggest complaints about 3d technology. Thus, the claim that passive 3d provides a lesser 3d experience is completely unfounded.

I looked into purchasing the hx929 this year, but ultimately decided to wait on the LG LW9500 due to the superior technology it had. I'm sorry to say, but when it gets released in September, you'll wish that you had spent your money wiser. Not only does it possess superior 2d technology, but also possesses superior 3d technology when taking into account the full 3d experience. And to top it all of, the tv itself is jaw dropping gorgeous. It's absolutely stunning. It's an aesthetic masterpiece. It will merge into your furniture, so that when you turn it off, its not this gigantic piece of metal that stands out like a sour apple in your living room. Every aspect of it was designed thoroughly. Once it comes out in September, you definitely need to take a look at this wonder so that you may confirm my words. That is all.
M. Baseer answered on July 11, 2011
‹ Previous   1   Next ›