5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for metal work/painting
Published on May 25, 2008 by H. Boothe

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I need a better filter but not sure what to get
I can still smell the stuff that I'm allergic to and thus I still react. I think I need a better filter but not sure what to get.
Published 5 months ago by R. Flint

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection for metal work/painting, May 25, 2008
I use these filters on a 3M 7502 half-face respirator and they are great. I build smokers which require gas-flux (MIG) welding, stick-welding (SGMAW), oxy-acetylene cutting, and a lot of abrasive use (cutting wheels and grinding). Before I started using the respirator and these filters I would expectorate blackened material from the junk I was inhaling but with these and the respirator I can work a full day and not have any discolored discharge; it's great and I'm pretty sure it's going to help me live longer and healthier. I also then paint these smokers with a high-temp paint that I cut with mineral spirits. I made the mistake of painting one once without the respirator and the fumes gave me the worst migraine I've had in years, but when I use these and the respirator I can't even smell the paint/mineral spirits, and I don't get a migraine. I love these things and the whole setup is *cheap*.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Filters, June 29, 2009
I have a horrible time with allergies. Also, I live in an area on the west coast of Florida where when you cut the grass, the mower throws up this fine, grey sand that you can't help but breathe in as you work. I tend to get an upper respiratory infection just about each time I cut the grass, and the last time it turned into atypical pneumonia. I tried the regular white paper 3M face masks, but they weren't that easy to breathe through, and got to be really hot. So, after I got well from the bout of pneumonia, I decided to get the 3M 6100 Small Series 6000 Half Facepiece Respirator and these filters. These things have made a world of difference! The face mask is comfortable, the filters keep out ALL of the pollens and dusty sand, and I can breathe easily. I like that I can change filters for other things I do (painting, sanding, etc.). And the price isn't bad at all, a lot cheaper than I would have thought. I highly recommend these filters if you have problems like I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST EVER, February 12, 2009
J. Leggett (Asheville, NC) - See all my reviews
I've tried many different kinds of dust masks but never one as good or as inexpensive as the one this filter attaches too. I've always fought inhaling dust with palm and belt sanders doing flat woodwork but no longer. I've recently taken up wood turning and noticed with other masks you end up with LOTS of dust in your lungs and nose, even turning wet wood. Using this half mask filter, you can't even smell what type of wood you're turning - there just is no smell getting through. This filter and mask set costs less than many "high grade" dust masks that don't even begin to stop as much as this set does. BEST EVER - BUY A SET NOW. I've just rough turned about 40 bowls over three days of turning and the filter set is still working great - there's been no noticable breathing retriction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better buy, February 22, 2011
This review is from: 3M 2097 P100 Particulate Filter with Organic Vapor Relief, 1 Pair (Tools & Home Improvement)
This filter does remove low level organic vapors so that I can apply solvent based finishes to small projects in my basement. For large projects use the cartridges for solvent removal. It is as easy to breathe through as the 2091 filter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with note of warning, June 16, 2012
****Update - 7-22-2012**** - please read the comments section for a link to a PDF that aids in selection. Right now I don't have time to read it to adequately update this review.

1. I am lowering the start one rating due to the difficulty in understanding which filter covers which substance/need. I know looking across the product line and reviews on Amazon that people are using certain filters in situations that don't match the filter. (what does "organic vapor relief" really mean anyway?)

3M needs to put out a mass matrix (or a look-up web site) that lists many different uses/chemicals/substances and then the appropriate filter. I have seen a matrix or two, but they are too simple. No need to over kill on a more expensive filter or more importantly end up getting the wrong one. It doesn't appear there is one filter that covers everything. If you think it is this filter, read my warning below as one example.

Which filters should I used for an insecticide or pesticide?

2. It would also be nice if there is some way you could tell when a filter needs to be replaced. (like a color change).

3. As other have noted this item is two filter (2 pack) work together. You are getting one filter set.

4. It would be nice to have a way to buy multiple sets and save some money. I know there is a 50 pack out there some where to buy but a 5 or 10 pack would be good.

A word of warning for ozone use....
Adding a note, based on reading, you need to use an Oxygen tank system for use in a High Ozone environment. see Self Contained Breathing Apparatus, or SCBA.

I recently purchased an ozone generator (shock treatment/blast) for cleaning/odor removal.
This filter is often referenced as being suitable for use to work while (by some of the makers for the ozone generators). looking at 3m documentation, this filter isn't rated for high levels of ozone. It is approved for 10x OSHA specs for normal. A ozone shock treatment does a lot more then 10 times (according to 3M this is for "concentrations up to 10 times the Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL))".

I found this out the hard way. I was using the mask to work in other areas of a building and started getting discomfort. I decided to stop the ozone treatments and do something else but had repository issues for the next day.

Just a guess, this filter is really only good for 2-4 hours in a high ozone environment. Disclaimer: I have no information to back this up other than when I first had it on, I had no issue for a couple hours and the air was clean. I was using a 14,000 MG ozone generator in less than 1,500 square feet. If you are using a larger generator you may not get much protection. I think I hit about hour 6 hours (filter use over multiple sessions, when I started noticing problems. By then it was too late. According the manual these filters are suppose to be good for 40 hours. Most of my use was not in the actual room where the generator was, but it other rooms usually protected by a door (of course ozone leaks out really easy).

So I will only use this filter for ozone generator setup/starting. So much for my idea of wearing this mask and still working in a building to save time. As I said this filter was mentioned by some of the generator manufactures for use. If someone knows of another inexpensive option for ozone filtering, let me know. See note above about "self contained breathing apparatus" (SCBA).

I am sure this same issue would apply if someone is painting and the there are too many fumes that the filter becomes overwhelmed too soon.

********************
Here is the wording from the instructions on limitations:

Time Use Limitations
1. If filters become damaged, soiled, or breathing becomes difficult, leave the contaminated area
immediately and replace the filters.
2. If used in environments containing only oil aerosols, dispose of filters after 40 hours of use or 30
days, whichever is first.
3. If used for ozone protection (3M 2097 and 2297 P100 Particulate and nuisance level organic
vapor), replace filters in accordance with an established change schedule, or earlier if smell, taste
or irritation from contaminants is detected.

5.0 out of 5 stars wrong color, right item, February 19, 2011
I'm using this with a 3M 7502. I was worried when I received the filters and they were NOWHERE NEAR the same color as this purple photo. In fact, they are exactly the same hot pink color as the P100/2091, and thus I thought that's what they had sent. These are labeled 2097, so I assume even though they're pink they are the correct filter (not the same as the 2091).

5.0 out of 5 stars They're PINK!, October 25, 2013
Lala (East Coast) - See all my reviews
These really make a fashion statement when you pair them with the dusty gray 3M 6300 Half Facepiece Respirator - Facepiece Only - Large Size, Requires Filters or Cartridges and golden DEWALT DPG82-11C Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle I also bought. To finish the look, I completed my outfit with some bright orange rubber chemical stripping gloves, along with vintage paint/cement-coated navy blue corduroys, a vintage light gray cotton dress shirt I found in the basement, and tall rubber boots featuring a brown houndstooth pattern. I was all the rage with the chipmunks and chickadees as I cleaned the cement prior to applying new foundation coating on my home's poured-concrete foundation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Filters, December 1, 2012
These are a great set of filters, and a good choice if you're new to the personal protective equipment world. I paired them with the 3M 7500 mask (see review here: 3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 7502/37082(AAD), Respiratory Protection, Medium They provide a limited amount of vapor protection and almost block almost 100% of particulates. I can't smell diesel fumes, or sawdust, when using these filters. I found that the small amount of carbon blocks "nuisance level" vapors for a day or two.

The general rule with vapor protection: If you can smell it, time to change the cartridge/filter. The particulate function is great, and has worked fine for several months. Unlike vapor protection, particulate filters don't degrade with use. You replace them when they're hard to breath through, or damaged. There's too much information on respirator filters to post here - do some research first, and make sure you're well protected (Search 3M Cartridge Guide). These cost nothing compared to any amount of medical care.

If you have any questions, please ask. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, May 21, 2011
I finally got a respirator and can't believe I didn't get one years ago. I sanded a table and my lungs didn't hurt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for spray paint and fiberglass works, January 16, 2009
Ms. Ya-nan Chou "yaya chou" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I use this pair of filters with my 3M #6100 half facepiece when I spray paint and work on fiberglass sculptures. I can not smell anything at all. It is perfect for protecting against nuisance level vapor, such as when working with resin, foam, glue or paint. Must have for sculptors' studios!