5.0 out of 5 stars Fan-freaking-tastic
Like many a cheap turkey, I used the ulta-cheap dust masks when chopping leaves, sanding, or what have you. They sort of worked, caused my glasses to fog in 2.4 seconds, and afterwards I'd hack up dust and gunk a bit. After one particularly vile session of hacking and coughing, I thought that perhaps my lungs might be worth spending another $1.10 per mask...
Published on December 16, 2010 by Matthew Dyer

3.0 out of 5 stars 3M #8511 dust mask
I make a lot of dust in my woodworking shop and am careful to ALWAYS wear a dust mask. Once you develop a wood allergy, it never goes away so I am very careful to use this mask.
Published on February 27, 2009 by LeRoque

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan-freaking-tastic, December 16, 2010
Matthew Dyer (South of the Mason-Dixon Line!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack

Wow. The difference between these and the charlie-cheapos is huge. I wore one of these while leaves with the leaf blower until my clothes were brown with dust. It was about 3 hours of work, and as I say by the end I was just brown and covered with dust. Normally I'd spend the rest of the day wheezing and hacking and spitting, but with this mask I didn't cough once. Not once. No wheezing, no hacking, no nothing.

The valve makes it much easier to breathe and greatly reduces the fogging of your glasses. I have a massive head (98 percentile my son's pediatrician told me after realizing that perhaps there's a genetic component to my kid's big melon) and I didn't feel the straps are too tight. They are snug, but you need that for a good seal around your mouth and nose.

This is a great product. Buy it. Your lungs and sinuses will thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent basic respirator, July 18, 2007
This respirator is better because of the one-way ventilation valve in the front, which keeps your exhalations from coming out and fogging up your glasses. Also, the elastic is much more durable than the really cheap masks.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3M 8511, October 1, 2007
This respirator did a good job of reducing construction dust (tear-out, sawing, etc.). It didn't fog up my safety glasses like similar products and I didn't get dust in my nose and throat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work great for air pollution, December 10, 2013
ohioengineer (Vermilion, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack
I bought these masks to use on our trip to China. I had read about the terrible air pollution in the big Chinese cities and my wife is very sensitive to this, so I was looking for something to help her. These worked very well. Not only did they perform well and allow my wife to enjoy her vacation, but they are easy to take on and off. Also, they stood up well to being squashed in a suitcase.

My wife used them in Beijing to filter air pollution and in Tibet to filter the incense that is used in the Buddist temples. For both uses they worked well. Again, she is very sensitive to bad air and she was fine while wearing these. I would highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best particle respirator for your money, September 7, 2009
Erich "EV" (Western Slope of Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack
During construction demolition it's important to protect your lungs from inhaling dust. I do a lot of demo and found the 3M 8511 Particle Sanding Respirator to be the best dust mask for the job. The straps remain firmly attached and the one way valve helps with exhalation and to keep glasses from fogging up. Once you pinch the metal nose clip you achieve a solid seal that keeps dust out. If you're working in extremely dusty conditions be sure to change masks once a day. Watch the Amazon site and pick up on deals of 3 or 4 10 packs of these masks. They are very affordable.

I've tried the Moldex - 2300 N95 Respirator and had about 20% of the straps snap off as I tried to pull it over my head for the first time. Don't waste your money with the Moldex respirators.

9-22-09 Just reordered another 30 masks that will make a total of 80. Still very satisfied and wouldn't order any other brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mask, September 22, 2009
cupcakebabe (Los Angeles CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack
This is a great mask for cleaning and other household chores. I've used this mask in dusty environments. It was also useful when my neighbors were remodeling their house and the dust was coming into our house. These masks are also good for wildfire ash. The valve makes this mask much easier to breathe through. The metal band for the nose is very sturdy. The only problem I had was that the mask was a little large for my face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Respirator/Face mask, August 17, 2009
This review is from: 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack
I purchased the respirator for general use around the house. Recently I used one of the masks while trimming a tall privet hedge. The hedge is usually loaded with pollen,dust,etc.. The mask kept out the dust and the vent prevented my glasses from fogging. This is a good general use mask for average jobs around the home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big respirator makes it difficult to wear with glasses, May 28, 2009
This review is from: 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack
Good construction, the exhalation valve works as advertised to reduce condensation from respiration. My only complain is that the respirator is a little too big for my medium size face, thus it is uncomfortable to wear glasses with the respirator.
Four stars because of the oversize issue, I wish there were a smaller size for 3M 8511, that would be perfect for me and I would give five stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3M #8511 dust mask, February 27, 2009
This review is from: 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack
First, if you are going to wear a mask all the time, it has to be comfortable. The #8511 is soft and with the adjustable nose-fit feature, it conforms snugly to the contours of my face. The two elastic straps provide snug but not over-tight contact and, with a little care, I get a close enough fit so that my exhalations do not fog up my safety glasses. The masks are durable and I typically can wear one all day, every day for several weeks (as long as I don't sneeze while wearing it!).
The masks appear to effectively remove even fine sanding dust as the inside remains clean and I have developed no allergies after many years of usage.
Thanks for another fine product 3M!
ROD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Replacement for Moldex Respirators, August 13, 2012
This review is from: 3M 8511 Particulate N95 Respirator with Valve, 10-Pack
I thought I'd give these a try after finally getting fed up with some equivalent respirators by Moldex. After going through two boxes of 10 each of the Moldex, I found that the straps broke on at least half of them the first time I put them on ("medium/large" size). These 3M units have a type of strap that I've found to be very strong in the past and I don't anticipate a breakage problem.

I use these for yard work and they seem to be very effective against pollen and dust. I'd prefer to have the surface that fits against the face to be as smooth as the Moldex ones, but these will do just fine, as long as the straps don't break.

By the way, I tried sending Moldex feedback about this problem after my experience with the first box of 10; sent them an email, never heard a word back from them and the problem never did seem to get fixed. Hard to believe they are an ISO9001 company.