4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price. Some tips for applying coating.
Product definitely works as advertised. There's a slight learning curve, so start with the least visible panel you plan to cover. You'll do better with each panel you spray. Overall a great experience with this product. I will likely re-do my application simply because I picky, but my wife was perfectly happy with my first attempt.

Some lessons learned that...
Published 20 months ago by jw59

For $25, this is an incredible bargain when compared to the traditional paint "clear bra" films, and unfortunately, the results I achieved were unsatisfactory and look like a $25 job.

Published 20 months ago by Brian

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, flawed execution. My tips for decent results are..., May 18, 2013
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)

My biggest gripe is the nozzle. The spray builds up at the nozzle and drips onto the freshly covered surfaces constantly. Since it was advertised as self-leveling, I thought this was somewhat normal and that it would 'heal' itself. 8 hours later and the clumps did go down a little, but it's very obvious where they landed.

The product works well on vertical surfaces like the bumper and rockers, but for horizontal/flat surfaces (like the hood), this does not work due to the above issue.

Masking is also a critical step, and probably the most important step of the process. I had masked the front end up to the hood line and half the windshield, however there is overspray on the other half of the windshield, the roof and the A pillars. To remove the overspray on the windows, a little bit of Rain-X worked wonders. The paint is a totally different animal. I tried a clay bar to no avail, then goo-gone but it seemed to harden the patches I could not remove. I then went in with elbow grease and a microfiber towel and I can see that I'll be at it for a few hours getting all the little spots off!

Here are my tips:
- Mask EVERYTHING
- Spray indoors (garage). Lint/dust/crap seems to be attracted to the wet spray.
- Slow alternating sweeps @ about 8" away seemed to yield me the best results and coverage
- Do at least 3 coats or else you'll get orange peeling
- Only do the trailing edge of the hood (first 2-3" of the hood), otherwise you'll drop clumps onto it.
- If you have any matte trim (ie plastidip), mask it or else it'll turn glossy. The 3M stuff is a clear coat, also removing overspray from plastidip doesn't work - you'll have to redip or cover the entire thing in 3M
- I've got an A5 and I used two cans to do the front bumper (minus grill), first 12" of the hood and 3" of the fenders, the side skirts (stone guards) and mirrors. This exceeds the number of areas covered according to 3M and I agree because I see orange peeling in some areas which mean improper coverage. Order one more can than you think is necessary!

With that said, I'm going to peel off the hood and order another can just for the edge, and if I have leftovers, I'll do the trailing edge of the rear bumper and front doors/rockers.

If 3M would to fix the nozzle, I would definitely recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price. Some tips for applying coating., May 25, 2013
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)

Some lessons learned that will help me do it better next time. Hopefully these will help you on your first pass.

- Do this in your garage with plenty of light
- Start with the least visible panel, you'll probably mess up a little the first time.
- Use a clay bar before waxing to remove any microscopic dirt on the paint
- Make sure the car is DRY. I had water behind some trim pieces from a recent wash that dripped on to the fresh coating.
- Be careful when using fans, they'll blow dust into the coating
- Follow the video when they show applying the second strip of tape. This one is much easier to remove and make a clean line.
- The line needs to be especially clean on the hood where its very visible.
- If you plan to mask off anything intricate, you'll need more tape. Lowe's or Amazon will have blue painters tape.
- I prefer applying thinner coats, but more of them. This seemed to reduce my chance of drips especially on vertical surfaces.
- Don't let go of the trigger at each pass. Hold the trigger the entire time, this seemed to keep my nozzle from dripping.
- Buy the spray handle, its worth it.
- Dont touch the wet coating!!!
- I tried to smooth out drips more than once. The results were far worse than the original drip.
- Drips will dry clear, leave them alone and they may not look that bad in 3-4 hours.
- Err towards a thicker application. Too thin and it won't peel off in a single sheet if you need to re-apply.

I have the professionally installed film on my other cars. This doesn't match those, especially for the front protection. But for $25 a can, it is way better than I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to apply paint protection; clear with good gloss level, May 20, 2013
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)
I just purchased a new 2013 Jeep and declined the dealership option for paint protection. While cleaning up my old Jeep in order to sell it, I quickly noticed all of the rock chips in the paint as well as the love bugs embedded in the clear coat after living in Florida for 5 years. I didn't want this to happen to the new Jeep and wanted it to look new for as long as possible, so I bought the 3 products from 3M (Paint Defender Spray Film, Application Kit and Spray Trigger).

After doing some research, I decided to purchase the 3M Paint Defender Spray Film as an alternative to dealership clear bras and the old black car bras that look awful. I wasn't exactly sure how it would look given it cost $25 a can, but wanted to protect the paint, not pay > $1000 and have it look good when I was done (meaning I didn't want to see the film) and knew 3M made good products.

When I walked into the garage to see how it looked after applying it the previous night, it looked really good. I could barely see it after it dried, which is crazy because it sprays out looking almost whitish. The film is really clear and the gloss level matches the rest of the car. I applied it to the front bumper and first half of the hood using 2 cans and had enough product left over to do some of the side fenders as well. The product was really easy to apply, and I was surprised how good the final apearance was, great value.

What I liked:
- easy to apply
- affordable
- it's pretty much invisible, you really have to look to see it
- gloss level, it matches the rest of the car. I didn't want to see the film when I was done, and this dries really clear.
- good level of protection from rocks and bugs

What I learned from using the product:
- Get the trigger and masking kit. It will make the entire process easier. The trigger has a full handle to squeeze which is comfortable and it fits on the other spray cans I had in my garage.
- The 3M Paint Defender Spray Film sprays a little different than spray paint, not bad, just different. After your first pass or two you'll quickly see what I mean and how to overlap passes. Recommend watching the video before applying.
- Mask when it isn't windy and do the project in your garage, if possible
- I contacted customer service to see how to maintain the film. After it cures you can wax over it just like the rest of the car, which is pretty cool. After waxing, the film feels like the rest of the paint.

Highly recommend. Great new product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Apply thicker than you think, or else, October 19, 2013
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)
I decided to try Paint Defender on my new car instead of paying $700 for a clear bra as I have with past cars. I am confident that it really is almost as good, but you will probably spend a lot of time getting there.
First and foremost, I mistakenly applied like spray paint, about 10 thin coats about five minutes apart. It stayed relatively clear while applying so this looked right. It's not. It dried to a very matte appearance that looked terrible on my black car. Even worse, it was way too thin to remove by hand. You could scratch through it with your fingernails, and only get little bits off. I had to spend hours with a claybar to remove it.

Before removing I did an experiment and put on a very thick coat in one spot. This dried surprising level, clear, and thick, and was easy to remove.

So I applied again, this time making a very thick coat, turning almost opaque white on my black paint. This thick coat dried clear and smooth, and was easy to peel right off. This is what you want.

Why did I remove it? Well, contrary to the forecast it decided to rain the next morning and all day. What seemed completely cured and dry the night before turned to glop and actually fell off in chunks as I drove! It looked terrible again!

So lessons learned:
Apply VERY thick. Just before it starts to run. Doing the front of your hood should use a good 3/4 of the can.
Make SURE you can guarantee it will not be expose to water for more than 24 hours! Considering I had some flies and other things embedded, it is best to find a garage you can let your car sit in for two days.
Also: overspray is a major issue. Anywhere I was lazy and did not cover with plastic, several FEET away, now has a light spray on it that I will need to polish off.

All that said I need to buy another can and do it all a third time. Still much cheaper than a clear bra, but I have already wasted a good 8 hours of time. Don't forget it must be washed and waxed perfectly before applying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product but takes practice for a perfect result, July 4, 2013
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)
I have been contemplating utilizing a protection product for the front of my 2010 Corvette for quite some time. So when the 3M Paint Defender came along I felt that this was worth a look. Since I was little nervous about starting with the Corvette without any practice I tried the product on my two other cars first.
First of all I would highly recommend viewing both the 3M videos indicating application and masking procedures before starting out. They're very helpful and delineating techniques to get a better outcome.
I first tried the product on the hood of my wife's Infiniti M 35. I followed the instructions to a T masking everything within 6 feet of the designated area which was 18 inches of the hood front surface. I used the back and forth and up and down spray technique doing one side of the hood and then moving to the other side. I have to say that I was very impressed with the result as there was an incredibly smooth overall surface texture with almost no perceivable orange peel. The only issue that I had was slight migration of the spray underneath the masking tape edge which resulted in a minor overspray beyond the mask line. Once again this was minor and the overspray was easily removed with cleaning compound
I next used the product on the bumper of my 2003 Cadillac CTS which is black. Unlike the hood of the other car the bumper consists of both vertical and horizontal surfaces with multiple changes in surface angles. This application proved a bit trickier. The angled and curved surfaces turned out really well but the sharp vertical surfaces on either side of the grill demonstrated some sags and runs. It's quite obvious now that you have to apply less material on vertical surfaces since gravity will result in runs if you exceed a certain amount of spray. Even though it was a small vertical area the result was unacceptable but interestingly I was able to use an X-Acto knife and remove the cured material in the precise location between The grill and the headlight housing. I then masked the rest of the work and re-sprayed
only that area And the outcome was very good. The material actually peels off quite easily from the waxed surface and has the consistency of somewhat thicker than saran wrap. The most important lesson is in my opinion knowing just went to let up on the spraying. When the material takes on a course orange peel appearance you've clearly sprayed enough on. After self-leveling the resultant material will be smooth. If you spray beyond the orange peel phase so that the material looks smooth the results will likely have sags or runs. I will be trying the product on my Corvette fairly soon

4.0 out of 5 stars fine for minor occasional dings etc. but for regular heavy duty "abuse" e.g. dirt roads not so much, July 2, 2013
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)
one of our vehicles is an hhr our daily runner so to speak. as owners of this vehicle are aware if you don't have the optional running boards even with mud guards/flaps stones fling back and basically sand blast the paint on the lower front portion of the rear wheel wells. we live on a dirt road and thought to give this a try to save putting out a few hundred on running boards. for occasional light off road use it works okay. BUT for regular use like what we deal with day and day out on our roads after a little over a week stones/rocks had broke through the protective layer and removed paint. our problem is not typical for most vehicles so we need something that provides more protection than most. that said for most this product will work just fine. for areas that you might get an occasional stone or rock damage this is a good product and very easy to use. once dry it doesn't look half bad either, fyi carefully, slowly and at an angle remove the blue painters masking tape or you will likely mess up your application. fyi as for application of the product spray smooth easy back and forth layers light, not too heavy. give it a minute or two to dry somewhat and then another coat. i did a total of six coats. i also noticed towards the end a few bluish green droplets on the surface. could not be easier to deal with. as soon as you set the can down, look for the droplets on the surface and with your finger tip lightly touch and dab and its gone and when dry you have a flawless coat. imho if you don't live on a dirt road this product will serve just about anyone for just about any purpose. especially handy if you just want something to apply over the winter to protect your front end from damage caused by leftover sand that the snow trucks spread. very good medium protection at a reasonable cost. again can't stress enough masking your area to protect from overspray and give clean crisp lines is essential.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing product.. See Pics, August 19, 2014
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)
I am a optimist so even after reading many negative reviews I applied this to the front of my RV and no way this product would have ever worked for my application I like many others ended up with a cloudy mess that looked bad! We had to peel it off like a sun burn and finally rented a large 6000 psi pressure washer to get it off (this was the best way to remove it) after 2 solid days with 2 people of picking and pressure washing we have finely put this nightmare behind us! Back to the lab 3M this stuff sucks and you need a much more informative Video on all the do's and dont's with this product. If your just doing 18'' of your hood only and you lay it on about a 1/8 of an inch thick and get it done in under 8 min.... it may work... but any thing else and you will have a nasty mess to clean up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, September 9, 2013
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)
This stuff works great. I can barely tell were I applied it and so far it has been great at protecting the leading edge.

Tips:
Watch the 3M videos on the website these help a great deal.
Don't stop spraying once you start or else the nozzle will start to drip.
On vertical panels go for several lighter coats to help avoid drips.
You want just enough coverage for it to start to orange peel and no more.

EDIT 10/2/14:
No longer have the truck but when I got rid of it the 3M was still on from the original application and looked exactly the same as when applied it had been on there about 11 months. I will be getting a second car for my new truck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., July 21, 2013
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)
Reading other reviews, I was a little worried at first, but the end result came out perfect as advertised.

I washed the hood of my wife's Suburban with regular, non-wax added, car wash soap.
After rinsing off the soap, I rinsed the hood one last time with distilled water and wiped off excess water with micro-fiber towel.
I pulled the vehicle into the garage and waxed the whole hood with included 3M wax, again with a micro-fiber towel per the instructions.
I masked the car as in the 3M product videos and started spraying.
The key seems to be the distance and speed of spraying. I practiced this a little bit before-hand, counting seconds and moving my hand to get myself used to the speed of 2-3 seconds per foot.
I used the plastic trigger and once I started spraying, I didn't let go the trigger until I was all done. I didn't have any problems with the spray building up by the nozzle.
Our car is white, hence it was a bit difficult seeing whether I was spraying everything evenly. The temperature in the garage was probably little over 60.
At the end, I had the orange texture for the most part. I had a few spots of under spray and a few spots of over spray. But after two hours it all seemed to have smoothed out pretty good. Again, with a darker colored vehicle, it might have been easier to notice those during application.
I will be ordering more cans, and spray around fenders, rocker panels, bottom parts of doors.
When it's done right, I think this is a great, low-cost alternative to expensive clear-bra applications.

Additional review:
I applied more of the product to the right side of our vehicle, starting from the headlight, down around the front fender, along the bottom halves of doors, around the rear fender and the bottom portion of the rear bumper exposed to mud/rocks coming from the tire. Even though I sprayed sections at a time (similar to as shown in the product video with the hood), spraying the whole mentioned area at once was a bit too much in my opinion. By the time I got to the end, I was already running late on making corrections to the initial part I had sprayed. I didn't have much under-spray, but I certainly had quite a few over-sprays, which caused several blobs running down and drying like that. Eventually they all dried clear that they can't be seen unless looking closely. Temperature was mostly high 60s during application and the next day, the sprayed area got exposed to slight rain. That made the clear film get back its milky white appearance again. But after several hours of sun later, it all got clear again. My suggestion would be not to do big areas at once. Next, I will do the left side of the vehicle in 2 sections.

So far I am happy with the product.
My concerns are;
When the time comes that product needs to be replaced, hopefully;
- it will peel off without too much hassle. (I did wax prior to application, but still a little worried)
- there won't be a color difference between the sprayed and non-sprayed area after peeling off the film. FAQs at 3M site say it shouldn't and that the film does not provide any UV protection, but it is still a concern to see about a year down the line.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste Your Money, June 27, 2014
This review is from: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film (Automotive)
This product is horrible. It seemed nice in the beginning, was inexpensive and went on fairly well (had the same nozzle clogging problem as others).

After about 3 months it start to lose its shine. Then pollen and leave start to stick to it. It takes on a dull matte finish.

Then fun really begins when you try to remove the film as recommended after a year. Unless you have sprayed it on way too thick it does not want to come off. The biggest piece I was able to strip off was a 3" X 3' square. The rest basically came off in small bits after a lot of finger nail scraping.

Better off to spend the money and get a good clear tape protectorate kit installed by a professional.

Regret ever putting this on my truck and the 4 days wasted trying to get it off.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 5, 2014 9:23:55 AM PDT
Hello car50,

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Paint Defender did not live upto expectations.

Here are a couple tips to help.

Post Application Shine: As Paint Defender Spray Film is exposed to the elements, it can start to show some wear over time. This can vary greatly, depending on the driving conditions in your area, temperature, and your general application results. Thankfully, Paint Defender can be cared for much like you care for other painted areas of your car - you can apply wax on Paint Defender after it has been applied, and this will help to keep the film clean and help to resist/delay some of the wear you are seeing.

Removal of Paint Defender:
Removal of Paint Defender is aided by applying the 3M Synthetic Wax, included in the box, before Paint Defender is applied. The chemistry of this wax allows for an easy release of Paint Defender when you choose to remove it. The chemistry of other waxes will not provide the ease you are looking for when you go to remove the film.
Application Tip: When Paint Defender is applied too thin, it can sometimes result in a more difficult future removal. A tip is to try to maintain a good spray "tempo" - we recommend 2 seconds per foot. This will help result in an optimal thickness when dry - and will also mean the film is easier to remove later.

We hope this helps improve your experience.

Regards,