5.0 out of 5 stars Water Never Tasted So Good
Published on July 9, 2011 by Sassy7702

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent filtering with 3 separate filters
I'm on my third filter now. Unfortunately, the filtering quality has been very different with each of the filters. They were manufactured in at least two, and possibly three, different countries, which may explain the inconsistent performance.

Published on February 11, 2012 by CJE

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent filtering with 3 separate filters, February 11, 2012
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)

The first filter I had ' the one that came with the pitcher ' was great. I flushed the filter as directed, and my first pitcher-full of filtered water tasted great. Water was filtered fairly quickly. I do not know where this filter was manufactured. I didn't think to check at the time, and it may not have been noted on the product. (If I recall correctly, the filter that comes with the pitcher is just enclosed in plastic and not in a separate box where the country of origin may be listed.)

With the second filter (the replacement filter on this product page), I flushed as directed, but the taste wasn't right. It turned out to be charcoal. When I looked at the water, I noticed specs of the charcoal filter everywhere. I figured I just didn't flush the filter enough, so I flushed it some more. I still got charcoal in the filtered water. It took many, many gallons of flushing to get all the charcoal out. Once I did that, the water tasted fine. Water was filtered fairly quickly through this filter as well. I noticed the box indicated this filter was manufactured in Mexico.

I had the worst experience with my third filter. Remembering the excessive flushing I had to do with the previous filter, I flushed this one for an extended period. Right off the bat I noticed water was being filtered much slower than with the previous two. (Whether that translates into better filtering, I don't know.) Even after the extended flushing, I still got specks of charcoal in the water. It took a lot more flushing to get it all out. This filter was manufactured in China.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!!, March 27, 2012
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
Let me repeat: DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THIS PRODUCT!

If you've bought these filters recently, please call 3M at (800)388-3458 and complain. If they hear from enough of us, they may fix this problem. I read the reviews about how bad the newer filters have become and I thought,"How bad could this be??" Well, it is bad. VERY bad.

I've had a Filtrete Fast Flow pitcher for about a year and a half. The filters worked great, water flowed through quickly, and the taste was terrific! Sure, the "time-to-change-the-filter" indicator was a joke--sometimes it didn't work at all and sometimes it worked too quickly. I just always kept a tally of how many pitchers I'd filled; that, and the taste always told me when to change the filter.

The filters I recently purchased through Amazon are just horrible. The water no longer flows through quickly. In fact, it barely flows at all. I filtered two full pitchers to try to get rid of the excess charcoal I'd read about. No easy feat, since the water moves so slowly that you have to fill the filter with water, leave the room, and come back several minutes later and do it again--over and over until you get a full pitcher. YOU DO NOT HAVE TIME TO DO THIS! Nobody does, and nobody should. That, and after running two full pitchers of water through, the next pitcher of water still looked nasty.

I don't care if some countries produce a better version of this filter for 3M than others. Consumers should not have to put up with such inconsistencies and risk getting one that is a real piece-o-crap (like I just did). I didn't believe the bad reviews, but you should. I'm done with Filtete until 3M straightens out this mess.

1.0 out of 5 stars Filtrete Both filters were defective, October 27, 2011
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
Have purchased these many times before from other vendors but this time both filters were defective, the charcoal came out and was floating in the water.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor filtering on this filter, November 27, 2011
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
We purchased a Filtrete water pitcher and for 3 months we loved how fast it filtered the water. We recently replaced the filter and it now takes a very long time to filter the water -- which totally removes the benefit of having this pitcher. We've asked for an exchange for a new filter and a free one to make up for the trouble. Hopefully they will send a replacement and this is just a one-time problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts out fast, then gets slooooow, April 14, 2012
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
We've gone through four of these filter units now. The first time I used one it was amazing. I could fill the pitcher at about half of our faucet's maximum output rate. Unfortunately, that slowed down over then next couple of weeks to barely a trickle - right at the point where the flow will break into individual drips. For most of the life of the filter it takes from 5 to 15 minutes to fill our pitcher. I found that by disassembling them and moving the filter mat then reassembling, the flow rate can be made temporarily higher for a few days.

Also, they have a little indicator in the middle that is supposed to gradually fill with red as time passes, to give you a clue how long you've been using the filter. We only got it to work on one of them. All three other units would never activate the red timer no matter how hard we pressed on them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, February 23, 2012
Jamison E. Ousley (Atlanta, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
I have been using this Filtrete system for over six months now. Originally, I bought it so I could take filtered water on the go without the expense of frequently purchasing new water bottles. When my landlord installed a new water faucet, however, he took off our old tap filter, and we have yet to install the filter on the new faucet. I'm not the most obsessive person in the world about filtering municipal tap water, but my girlfriend is, so she uses the filtrete system for all of her household hydration needs. As a result, we may be using this system more than I realize.

That said, though, my latest replacement filter has barely made it a month and will need to be replaced in another week or so, according to the indicator. They're advertized to last roughly 3 months. It is possible that the demand we put on the filter is higher than average, but keep in mind that I barely use it and my girlfriend is using it exclusively for the water she drinks. We do not have children. So either she is drinking gallons of water every single day, or these filters do not last as long as they should.

This is the first replacement filter I've had to buy for this system, so I will have to go through a couple more before I make up my mind, but so far I've been underwhelmed with this system.

1.0 out of 5 stars new filters are so so so sad, October 20, 2012
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
I bought this system from Canada to Australia after a holiday at Christmas time. I succesfully ordered filters from Amazon a few months ago and they worked even better than the one that came with the box. We use this system so much, it is one of the best devices I own. I ordered new filters a few weeks ago and I went to change the filter this morning and I am devastated. The new filter (from Mexico) goes so slow it will not be worth my time to use it. The new filter even floats in the dish whereas the other one never did. Please filtrete, tell me where I can buy some of the old filters or go back to making the old ones. It was such a great product, I would have paid double (which I kinda did cos I get them shipped to Australia). No one is going to buy this station when the filters are rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3M DID US DIRTY!!!!!, June 4, 2013
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
The filter that comes with the pitcher is awesome. It filters quick with a great taste and no filter particles are floating in the water. When you get a replacement filter everything is the exact opposite. The water barely trickles through the filter. Tons of particles are in the water from the filter. I never tasted the water because I was so frustrated at how slow it was. I bought one off amazon that was very slow. The I went to walmart thinking i got a bad one and purchased two from them with the same results. So thats 3 replacement filters that dont work. Little more the coincidence. They give a good one with the pitcher but all the other ones are garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars charcoal vs taste!, July 13, 2012
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
The original filter was good but this replacement turned out to be awful! The charcoal particles still float in the "filtered water" even after several hours of passing water. Pay, spend time and drink water with some sort of black chemicals floating in just to get rid of the bad taste? Very frustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Water Never Tasted So Good, July 9, 2011
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter (Kitchen)
OMG I love this system. My water tastes better using this than from my own fridge! My only complaint is where to store it. Unfortunetly I have a tiny counter with very little counter space so I can't just leave the filtration system in a convient place but that's my issue not 3M's. I had originally hoped I could purchase this and use at work but I have the same problem at work. I still highly recommend this product, the bottles are easy to carry.

3M Filtrete Fast Flow Filter