Published 15 months ago by John B.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Moderately Priced And Lightweight Hard Hat for Everyday Use
I know every household in America needs a hard hat, am I wrong? Although I do lightweight projects around the house and even used to do moderate construction on work projects, I've never even thought about having a personal hard hat on hand! Now that I have the 3M Vented Hard Hat H-700 Series with 4-Point Ratchet Suspension and UVicato (say that three times fast), I...
Published 13 months ago by K. Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hat, but unassembled and with very bad assembly instructions, June 1, 2013
This review is from: 3M Hard Hat H-701V-UV, UVicator Sensor, Vented, 4-Point Ratchet Suspension, White (Misc.)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Note - This is a revision of my original review, which I am making because as a result of my complaints (see THE NEGATIVE described below) and those of other reviewers regarding the assembly of the hat, 3M is making an effort to rectify this problem. Among other things I believe that they are posting a video showing how to assemble the hat. As a result I am revising my original 3-star rating to 4-stars.

THE POSITIVE- This hat has a number of interesting features - it has air vents and a UV indicator that alerts the wearer that long-term UV exposure has made the plastic shell brittle and therefore not protective. However, I have not owned the hat long enough to evaluate the UV indicator, and the Vine program requires a very prompt review, so there is no way for me to evaluate this feature. I found the air vents did make the hat cooler than my traditional hard-hat. I also found that, when properly assembled, I could adjust the hat for a good fit, making it quite comfortable. Also, when assembled properly, it did not ride too high on my head. All in all, if I were only considering the hat itself I would give it five-stars. However, the assembly and assembly instructions are terrible, as discussed below.

THE NEGATIVE - This hat comes with the suspension system unattached from the hat, with the attachment instructions just printed on the plastic bag that covered the hat when it arrived. The instructions are terrible, making it impossible to assemble the suspension system within a reasonable amount of time. I tried the best I could to assemble the suspension system, but try as I might after more than an hour I was unable to fully insert the suspension key into the suspension slot. Fortunately, I own an older hat and I examined it to see how the suspension was attached on it and from this examination I realized that I was inserting the suspension key upside-down. When I realized my error I was able to properly assembly the suspension. The pictures on the instructions are small and do not show the parts very clearly, and there is no exploded drawing to clarify the orientation of the parts for the proper assembly. At least one other reviewer had the same problem and others alluded to difficulties in this assembly, so I am not alone in finding the instructions to be very unclear. I suspect that with clear instructions I could have assembled the suspension in a minute or so. Better yet, the hat should have come with the suspension already attached; then seeing how it was attached I could have made any adjustments rather easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to assemble, June 18, 2013
Length:: 1:29 Mins

Trying to assemble this hardhat was a very frustrating experience for us. I made the video to show how hard we tried without success.

My husband is an engineer and a PhD chemist. He is a bright guy and couldn't figure this out.

But...after Jason's comment we tried again and finally got it in. Seems okay now.

My husband and I both have arthritis in our hands so we would prefer not to have to struggle with something that has to be bent in half.

Thank you Ryan Sartre for your response. I am glad that you care enough to read the reviews and make some changes. Good business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable basic hard hat, June 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The key feature that differentiates this from most other hard hats is the UV indicator. I assume that 3M did their testing properly and that the indicator will turn color eventually. Aside from that, I find the helmet to be fairly comfortable and the ratchet works fine. If you are familiar with hard hats, you should not have difficulty installing the 4 point suspension band. If you are not, orient the ratchet part of the suspension band so that it will be the lowest part of the helmet, then fold over the four clips at the easily identifiable crease (bending them to the helmet side), and then insert the folded portion into the corresponding slot in the helmet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch the 3M video before assembling. And see in real time how a company responds, August 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very nice, inexpensive UV protection hard hat with ventilation across the top. A problem, noted by others, is that the written instructions weren't easy to understand. In fact, I couldn't understand the fine print instructions for assembly. The product video gave good assembly instruction.

Therefore, there's one trick to enjoying this item - simply watch the product video. What was not intuitive is made easy, saving the user from vain struggle to fit the head assembly to the shell.

Moreover, this experience makes an excellent business case study. A corporation with a sterling record launches an excellent product with fatally flawed written instructions. Initial reviews could have made the customer base incredulous. But, but there is recovery in the form of a well-placed 74-second microlecture.

In my view, there may be multiple lessons in this case study.

First, investable companies respond - quickly. Notice how 3M's Ryan was all over this. A lot of organizations don't have a Ryan or recognize the need for one. I know because I've reviewed their products (and they still don't get it).

Second, written instructions cannot accomplish what the video microlecture can. This is the future of product assembly instruction.

Third, don't go on vacation before the reviewers start submitting their responses.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3M Hard Hat: From those folks who bring you Scotch tape, with tacky instructions, July 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
People buy hard hats for a wide variety of reasons. Some need them as part of a job requirement, where meeting the standards of ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2009 Type 1, Class C, is a necessity for work. Others buy them for yard work in areas where low-lying branches can cause a severe bump on the noggin (not to mention squirrels with a good aim). There are others who will buy them to emulate members of the Village People disco group from the late 1970s. Whatever the reason, hard hats of all types and colors abound here on Amazon.

Picked up the 3M Hard Hat H-701V-UV, UVicator Sensor, Vented, 4-Point Ratchet Suspension, White as a Vine selection in lieu of a far more expensive garbage disposal, a home insect killer (kills German cockroaches for up to 12 months) or a hummingbird feeder, as if the latter could be used in the upper floors of a NYC apartment building. I had my reasons, as will be explained. But first the good and other points about this hard hat, followed by the details.

◆ The Good:

+ Ratchet suspension; easy to adjust for many heads
+ Vented; reduces sweat-head, encourages airflow
+ Hard plastic material; smudges cleans easily
+ UVicator sensor; lets you know when to trash it due to UV exposure
+ Meets ANSI/ISEA Z89.1 Type I, Class C standards; head protection criterion

◆ The Not So Good:

- Minuscule and cryptic directions; need a magnifying glass to read them

◆ First Impressions:

This 3M hard hat came packaged in a plastic bag, and the fitting directions are printed in a minuscule typeface. Even when using reading glasses, it was necessary to pull out a magnifying glass to read them. To make matters worse, the instructions for fitting the were very cryptic, and may as well have been written in the Klingon language. After much fiddling around with the headband, found that the plastic part that connects the suspension headband to the hard hat had to be folded in half so that it touched the headband, and then the tab had to be inserted into the appropriate key slot. This was later confirmed by the video that can be found on the product page or at this link:

This hard hat from 3M looked like a good one. The 3M Company, which has brought us such products as Scotch tapes, Bondo auto body filler and Post-it notes, might have done a better job with the instructions, including putting them in larger print. OK, rant on this is over.

This hard hat was needed as part of an emergency preparedness kit which was started following the havoc caused by Hurricane Sandy in late October 2012, then followed by the subsequent Nor'easter just days later, in which we had falling tree limbs. As a result of this, I've added a Coast HL27 Focusing 309 Lumen LED Headlamp to my preparedness items. This headlamp comes equipped with a set of helmet clips, which fit this 3M Hard Hat perfectly, and this combination has already been tested in inclement weather.

Already had one so-called hard hat that had been picked up locally on sale following the hurricane, a bargain product that was a farce in that its cheap plastic suspension was already broken when received. It was promptly returned, and that was why this one was picked up here. All that remains is to pick up some You Cant Fix Stupid Hard Hat Stickers as a reminder to not buy junk that doesn't work.

This 3M Hard Hat has proven to be a good one. Once you get past the obscure and incomprehensible 3-star assembly instructions, it's an excellent 5-star product, and can be recommended to those who need a good hard hat. Because of those maddening product instructions, I'll split the difference and call it a solid 4-star product, and hope that those folks at 3M, who bring us Post-it notes and Scotch tape, will notice this and make an improvement on those tacky assembly instructions.

7/31/2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Parking Garage, July 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This hard hat came just in time...I have been contracting with a valet company that recently took over operations of a garage with mechanical lifts. After about a week I stopped down and noticed many of the valets had nicks on their head from getting out of cars and banging the lift levers. So I was trying to direct the owners to provide hard hats. I was pleased to get this and test it. They are ordering more of this type for the company soon.

I had someone help me assemble this as I had never used a hard hat before. The instructions were horrible, but I understand that they are revising them so hopefully you'll get the new version. However, the guy who helped me had used hard hats and he said it was pretty intuitive.

The guys throw this on now when they are coming in and out of the garage. It has saved injuries (I can tell from a few of the scratches that they would have been brutal cuts). The UV indicator hasn't been tested long enough to comment. However, I like the idea that once it has been out in the sun and ages, they'll know when to replace it.

The hat is reportedly comfortable and cool in the hot garage. Sometimes I see them forget to take it off, so it must be pretty comfortable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent hard hat, poor instructions, June 17, 2013
Michael Smith (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't wear a hard hat on a daily basis, but do occasionally need to enter a construction site for a few hours to verify progress on a job.

This is a basic white hard hat (vented) with a ratchet suspension (easily adjustable, not the cheap strap variety). There's a special "UVicator" sensor that will tell you when too much sunlight has degraded the plastic and therefore the hard hat should be replaced. Height is also easily adjustable, which is not possible with another model I have.

I am dinging the item one star for the poor assembly instructions. I realized that you have to fold over a single part of the insert tabs to get it to install -- it took me an hour to realize this. Once I did, hard hat was ready in 1 minute. 3M needs to work on some better images. Fortunately I hadn't thrown out the plastic packaging -- perhaps a short paper with instructions on the inside with better images is in order as well.

Otherwise, I hope I never get dinged on the head to have to say how well the hard hat protects!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, basic hard hat. Good fit. UV Indicator seems like a good idea!, May 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had to knock one star off of this review just because assembly of the strapping/webbing and headband did not seem well-documented on the plastic bag the helmet came in. Why didn't this helmet come fully assembled?

Good, basic helmet that meets the standard for outside wear where head protection is required. For <$15, you get a helmet that is adjustable and is comfortable. The helmet is made to adjust to hat sizes: 6 5/8" to 7 3/4".

Good, basic hard hat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable design, September 15, 2013
Don Walton Jr. (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Hard hats aren't built to be comfortable, they're built to prevent injuries. It's nice that 3M has incorporated a few features that make their hard hat as comfortable as possible. The low-profile vents add a bit of cool comfort, while maintaining a protective design. The ratcheting headband is very nice. The knob as a slightly rubbery texture, but it would have been nice to have added some texture to it as well to assist gripping. Turn the knob and it ratchets to just the right size. Turn it back, and it loosens up, but in any position the ratchet locks the headband in place, keeping it secure on your head.

Assembly isn't very intuitive, but is easy and simple enough once you get your head around it (pun intended). The latches to attach the headband to the hat are creased. Fold along the crease before locking the headband in and it should be a perfect fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3M Hard Hat, September 11, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I work outdoors in the state parks. This is great to have when walking under trees here in Florida. Pinecones . Coconuts, etc all fall after rain, or when its windy. Whats great about this had, compared to my other is that its lightweight.Another key feature is that it does not make my head sweat as much as my other one does. I too had problems trying to put it together and looked at what other reviews did (thanks) and it was together very quickly. Overall it works well and like all the uv protection I can get.

Rate and Discover Movies