Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Color: BitmapStyle: Repositionable Adhesive BackingChange

on May 26, 2011
The picture is totally misleading. I got two first impressions from that top picture that ended up being false, but went with it anyways when I saw so many (+) reviews:

1. This product does NOT have huge bumps all over it, this is just a stylistic graphic.

2. This product is NOT clear, but is opaque so you can put it over a glass surface like what I did

Overall, I would describe this mousepad as:

1. Thin, and stiff, but overall still bend-able. It is NOT made of foam, which helps give the mouse good feedback.
2. Finely granular surface that I find appealing
3. Low friction to allow easy mouse movement
4. Adhesive backing that prevents mousepad movement. If you forget about this adhesive backing, and leave the sticker on it like I did, the mousepad will move all over the place because it is so low friction.
66 comments230 of 240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2010
I've owned a number of 3M's "mousing surface"s over the years, and this is the best yet. It's very thin--1/32" or less, and doesn't get in the way of keyboards, your wrist, coffee cups, etc. The back has a low-tack adhesive, like a Post-It note, so it stays perfectly flat and doesn't slide around, but you can easily lift it up and move it around.

The surface texture is less aggressive than the older versions, but optical mice track perfectly and I imagine a mechanical one would, too. The size is nice, although it might be a bit better if it was arced a bit and not a rectangle. Overall, it's just about perfect.
0Comment85 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2010
It's super thin, so it's ergonomic for your wrists. It has repositionable adhesive, so it won't move around and drive you crazy. The surface is designed for Optical Mouse. (It even saves the battery for wireless mouse).

I use it with my Magic Mouse. It's just awesome.

Best mouse pad ever
0Comment92 of 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 23, 2011
This is a really great mousepad; perfect for polished or glass surfaces; thin, ridged, and stylish; sticky and repositionable.

The outer dimensions are a standard 8.5" x 7.0", but the thinness is remarkable; like five sheets of 20lb printer paper; or about half a dime.

The surface has myriad little ridges that catch light. This effectively solves the biggest problem with modern optical mouses: they don't work on reflective surfaces. My desk is polished granite, and my wife's is 1/4" glass. On granite my mouse gets jumpy from time to time, but on glass it simply doesn't work without a pad. To show you this pad's ridges I uploaded a high-magnification scan, with a dime for a sense of scale. The ridges have a nice feel; grippy but soft, and I wish more things had this texture, like tools or steering wheels.

The sticky backing is very similar to a post-it note's. I've repositioned mine about 10 times with no noticeable deterioration in tackiness; there must be a limit, but it doesn't worry me. There is no residue left behind after moving. The benefit of the tackiness is that the pad can be ultra thin and not slip around. Plus, thin is critical to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome from a continually bent wrist. But 8.5" x 7.0" isn't large enough for me to comfortably leave the pad in the same place all the time. To avoid cramps in my inner-elbow I resituate the mousing ballpark periodically. And so the detriment of the tacky backing is that it takes more than a simple shove to move the pad.

Not a big deal, but if I could offer a suggestion for improvement: make it bigger -- legal sized 10.5" x 14.0" would be great, so I could stretch out my arm without leaving the pad or repositioning it. And if that were too big, the pad is thin enough to be cropped with scissors or an exacto knife.

Face it, optical mouses work pretty well these days, and you usually don't need a pad. It's not like the bad old days with those jumpy steel balls and little axles that jammed up with hair and worse things. But if you're reading this review you probably have a special need. I can't imagine anything better than the 3M Precise Optical Mousing Surface for glass or polished desktops. It's cheap and it works great.
review image
11 comment22 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Most mouse pads suffer one of two problems. The old-fashioned neoprene mouse pads (the ones that are about 1/4" thick) are too thick to be ergonomically comfortable. The newer "flat" mouse pads (which are basically just a thin piece of plastic) tend to slip and slide around the desktop.

This 3M mouse pad tries to find a compromise. It's very thin, but has post-it adhesive on the back to keep it from sliding around your desk. Clever design. I've never had a problem with post-its leaving residue on my desk, so I'm not worried about that. On the other hand, I also suspect that the post-it adhesive will become non sticky pretty quickly if you travel with this mouse pad and are constantly putting it down on new surfaces with a bit of dust on them. Time will tell.

The reason for my "OK but not great" star rating is that the surface of the mouse pad is strange. It's very grainy/pebbly. Presumably this is what lets optical mice use less battery power, but it feels odd. It's noisy compared to a regular mouse pad -- it's makes a sort of sawing sound as you run the mouse over it. I haven't suffered "thumb abrasion" (as one other reviewer called it), but I'm also not a really heavy mouse user.

Bottom line: Intriguing idea, but this is one product that I'd suggest you find an opportunity to try in person at a retail store before buying.
77 comments78 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2013
Thin and good looking, however as soon as I stuck it down it wasn't perfectly straight so I pulled it off and sure enough it pulled the finish right off my IKEA desk. Not cool.
review image
33 comments42 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2011
The adhesive on this mouse pad is more suitable to a glass or metal surface but definitely not (mahogany) wood. After about 5 minutes on my antique mahogany desk, it left a white impression the same size as the pad. I used a colorant and lemon oil to get rid of the stain. Major disappontment!
0Comment37 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2012
Sticks quite well, doesn't leave a residue, but the side that matters is much to be desired. After only a few weeks I started noticing problems with my mouse, thinking it was the mouse itself. But testing it against other mouse pads shows that the pad itself does not work any longer with an optical mouse. There are several "spots" on the pad that cause the mouse to freeze or not accept clicks because the pad has worn.

Possibly good for infrequent travel, but don't expect it to last.
55 comments15 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2015
I wasn't sure I was going to like this, partly b/c I wasn't quite sure exactly what it was, but very happy with the purchase. It takes a little trial and error getting the location on the desktop right where you want it, but once you do its great.

Its very thin so you don't have that thickness of foam pads to deal with. And it stays put so you never have to readjust it. Being so thin it almost becomes a part of your desktop instead of an obstacle like most pads.

Surface is relatively smooth, you can feel a slight texture to it, but the mouse moves smoothly across it. Very easy to clean. I've had it almost 2 months now and can't detect any scratches so appears to be pretty durable.
on April 11, 2010
It does its job. The only thing I did not like about it is the texture aspect. When using the mouse it feels as though I am exfoliating my thumb and pinky finger.
66 comments52 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse