5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly - don't be fooled by bad reviews...
Published on August 5, 2008 by Lancelot

1.0 out of 5 stars ...I returned it
Published on October 19, 2007 by K

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly - don't be fooled by bad reviews..., August 5, 2008
This filter is excellent! It works perfectly. You can see the screen clearly while you are facing the monitor but it fades quickly to black as the angle from the screen increases. The screen is completely black from a 45 degree angle is and is fuzzy / grey from about 20 degrees. Our secretary uses it to keep all of the human resource and accounting information secure. The filter provides time for her to minimize work or lock the computer before someone can stand over her shoulder to see privilaged information.

If you are expecting to be able to keep people from seeing what is on your screen while they walk behind you, forget it. But, if you need to keep people from running up to the side of your computer or merely peering over a shoulder from an angle, this filter will work great for you. Other people have stated this filter doesn't work, or that it was not what they expected, but it will do everything 3m says it will do.

I agree with others stating that the clear tabs that hold the filter to the screen are a little cheap and seem a bit rediculous, but they do work. After a couple of days, you won't even notice them anymore.

Overall, this filter is great. It's well worth the money if you need to protect important information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive Product - Bought Four More!, October 2, 2011
K. J. Simon (The Great Lakes State) - See all my reviews
My work space is like a fish bowl. I often work with student or applicant confidential information on my computer. I always felt guilty whenever someone approached me and I hit Alt-Tab to switch to a benign screen - I worried that it suggested inappropriate use of my computer rather than work :-) !

I'm using the 3M Privacy Filer PF 19 on a Dell LCD 19" monitor.

Things to Consider When You Purchase a Privacy Screen:

PRICE: I got out the catalog of the office supply chain that offers our institution a discount and checked the prices of privacy screens. Then I talked to our IT department and found out what they could offer my department. To say I had sticker shock is an understatement! One source was $100 more, our own IT department was $30 more than the screen I'm reviewing here and purchased from Amazon.

STYLE: I checked different privacy screens throughout our 8 story building and decided that there was no clear advantage to having a frame around the screen. It added to the bulk and quite a bit to the cost. The screens I looked at without frames were held in place by small tabs that came with the screen and attached to the monitor frame. No one I spoke to who used the frameless models reported any problems with the screen falling out, and a number of users said it stayed in place without the tabs (as I discovered later, mine does too).

EFFECTIVENESS: This privacy screen works very, very well. I've lost track of how many people have made me laugh by stopping and watching me stare at my screen as I'm intently reading something and asking me what's so fascinating about a monitor that's not on! I usually laugh, switch to a neutral web page and invite them over to "see" what I can see. The next question, after the "WOW", is where did I get it? I'm glad I kept the original packaging because I just pull it out and lend it to the person and usually I hear later that they've ordered one for their workstation(s).

As another reviewer noted, unless someone is standing right behind you or within approximately 20 degrees of the center of your monitor, they won't be able to see what's on your screen. And yes, if someone walks behind you, there is a point in their pass-by that they can see your screen, but it's brief, and unless they stop to focus, they quickly are out of the "I can see your screen" zone.

NICE FEATURES: There are two different "finishes", or looks to the screen. One side is a high gloss, the other matte. After using it both ways, I've decided that the gloss works better for my eyes. A second nice feature is a little half-circle, thumb-notch in the screen, at the top, that makes it easy and fast to pull the screen off the monitor if you want to share your screen with those around you. When I'm done sharing, I just pop it back into place. This is easy because as I mentioned before, the privacy screen stays in place wonderfully without the need for the tabs that are included.

The 3M Privacy Filter -3M PF19 is a product that not only would I purchase again, but did - 4 more of them for just our little department. I've always trusted 3M products, and this item has reinforced that trust.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but one caveat, April 17, 2011
I bought this for the office, since I wanted an anti-glare screen as well as some privacy. If you wanted the same thing, read on for my review:

Application:
This screen has a two step process for application.
1. Affix this sticky tabs to inside your bezel on your monitor
2. Insert your screen inside the bezel of your monitor, and then rely on those sticky tabs to keep the screen from falling off.

Effects:
Anti-Glare: The screen works pretty good! I already had a matte finish LCD, but the screen had a greater dulling effect against the glare of the sun. I highly recommend this filter if you are really going for the anti glare attributes.
Privacy: Like advertised, the screen limits the viewing angle of the monitor so that the person directly in front of the monitor has the best view. Although it kind of defeats the purpose of these newer displays, promoting a greater viewing angle, this privacy screen works as advertised to fend off against nosy neighbors!

Pros:
Works as advertised!
Anti Glare is surprisingly strong!
Easy application (It's clean and sits inside the bezel so that you dont have to hang something on the front of the monitor, like the old school ones)

Cons:
Because you apply this sticky tabs to the monitor you want to dim, this thing isn't exactly portable and you can't easily transfer it from one monitor to another (as compared to the hanging old ones)
Pretty expensive for what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product..., November 5, 2006
Amazon Customer (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Just the perfect screen you'll ever need to keep those prying eyes away from any angle. You need to be directly in line with it to get the full view. Nothing else out there comes even close to it. Go for it with full faith, and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars - It Works!!!, April 8, 2011
Anna Covington (San Diego, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I sit in an open office with low-walled cubicles. We are a secured buiding and we deal with a lot of proprietary information. However, we often have customers and clients in the building, and I also have a few "overly-curious" co-workers. It bothered me when people came to my desk to "tell me something" and they would stand there looking at my computer screen instead of looking me in the eye. It is obvious when someone is tryng to read your on-screen documents, but hard to avoid in today's workplace environment. I had looked into getting a Privacy Filter about 2 years ago, but the cost put me off of the idea for awhile. I finally got tired of the stress of feeling continually exposed at work and gave in to this purchase. I must say, I wish I had bought this product 2 years ago! It WORKS and is well worth every penny. Just the other day a co-worker came to my desk and, like everyone else, looked right at my screen. He said "Oh! I came over to talk to you about that ticket, but... are you leaving? I see your screen's turned off." I laughed and said "No, it's on!" and then I told him about my Privacy Filter. He was shocked! He said he had to stand directly behind me to see what was on my screen. Thank you 3M, and thank you Amazon.com for bringing us this amazing product and for making it so easy to get - delivered ASAP right to my door! Amazon - you are the BEST!

5.0 out of 5 stars The 3M Privacy Filter (pf19.0) is private, July 15, 2008
I purchased this privacy filter a little over a month ago. Works well, I am pleased with it.

The screen is easy to put on the monitor (19" HP flat screen - not a wide screen). It comes with small, clear, self-adhesive, stick on tabs. Just put the tabs on your monitor frame to hold the screen in place. The filter, itself, is frameless. It doesn't slip out from the tabs, yet, it is removable. The screen is reversible, two-sided (matte or glossy). You can use either side. It does a good job of blackening out the contents on the monitor if you are viewing from a side angle. One must be directly in front to see the monitor clearly.

I did have to turn my monitor a few times to see what gave me the best privacy angle. Once I found that spot, all went smooth. Though a bit pricey, I am pleased with the results and have no buyer's remorse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, May 17, 2006
I've seen these online and they are expensive. This one works well and maintains privacy. It fits right over your screen and 3M provides these little tabs to make it stick. I bought it for my office where people walk behind me all the time time and it works great. I feel like I can check my email or shop on amazon during downtime through out the workday. This also would be excellent for laptops on airplanes and such.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, May 31, 2011
I ordered this privacy screen for my computer at work. The screen comes with some tabs that you can attach to the outside of the computer monitor so it will hold the screen in place but mine fit perfectly against the monitor so the tabs were not necessary. There is a shiny side and a dull side to the screen. I prefer the dull side as it does not cause a glare the way the shiny side does. If someone is walking up to my cubicle they can not see anything but a black screen. When they are standing right beside my cubicle they can see faint outlines of the colors but they have to stand inside my cubicle in order to see any of the writing or actual program screens. I measured the computer screen and went with the size that matched the height and width instead of the diagonal viewing size and it was a perfect fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I have ever bought!!!, August 20, 2007
Amazon Customer (Albuquerque NM USA) - See all my reviews
I love this privacy screen. My co-worker suggested it and people have said I cant see anything unless I am standing right in front of your computer. One of the best things I have ever purchased.

1.0 out of 5 stars ...I returned it, October 19, 2007
Was anxious for this to work - I put it on a 19" flat panel monitor in a very busy office setting. I was tired of my snoopy co-workers making comments about what I was working on. Some of the material I work on is extremely sensitive. I attached it to the screen and looked at it from every angle and was able to read clearly what was on the screen - from near and far. I was disappointed, but I had no choice but to return it. I since have purchased a much more expensive screen that works just fine. Returning the product to Amazon, however, was hassle-free.