5.0 out of 5 stars Works with a lot of iOS apps
Before this 3M projector arrived, I had two main concerns:

1) Would it be bright enough?
2) Which iPhone apps are compatible?

Here is what I found:
Published 23 months ago by N. Krumpe

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a limited type of usage
Published 22 months ago by John W. Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with a lot of iOS apps, October 23, 2012
This review is from: 3M Projector Sleeve for iPhone 4/4S (PS4100) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before this 3M projector arrived, I had two main concerns:

1) Would it be bright enough?
2) Which iPhone apps are compatible?

Here is what I found:
1) The brightness is quite good. 3M's own specs say this has a brightness of "up to ANSI 35 lumens" (from 3M's own specs). Though this may sound rather low, I found that this projects photos, videos, and text very well when used as recommended. "as recommended" means a diagonal of 10 inches to 60 inches. Clearly, this is a "hobby" type of device. Don't plan a professional business presentation with this projector. Keep your expectations reasonable. In a dimly lit room, with your iPhone projecting on a wall 10 feet away, images and text look good.

2) I was afraid that this device would be limited to Apple's own video and photo apps and nothing more. I was happy to find that it worked with quite a few of my go-to apps. But, there are some apps which did NOT work with this projector. So, here are some specifics you might care about (and note that what works may depend on which version of iOS you are running, as well as which version of each app you are running):

* Netflix: works under both iOS 5.1 and iOS 6
* Hulu Plus: works under both (however, I needed to update the app...an older version of Hulu Plus didn't work)
* YouTube: works under iOS 5.1, but NOT under iOS6 (probably due to the fact that Apple kicked YouTube out of its built-in apps, and the downloadable YouTube app does NOT project)
* Apple's official Photos and Videos apps: work under both (note that the photo app only works in "slideshow" mode, meaning you can't swipe through your pictures...you'll be at the mercy of the slideshow timer)
* KeyNote: works under both

3M's spec sheet says that this device is for iOS 4 and iOS 5. However, I have had no trouble using this with iOS 6.

There are other reasons to recommend this:
* I like that the sleeve can be used as a charger for my iPhone. In other words, when I don't need to use it as a projector, it can serve as a backup charger instead. Note that it cannot be used as both a projector and a charger simultaneously. It's one or the other.
* There is a button that allows me to switch among projection modes: a mode for brighter video, a mode for sharper contrast when viewing text, and a mode for preserving battery life by dimming the screen. 3M says this will last for 100 minutes of projecting before needing to be charged. Though I haven't tested it, I would assume this means "100 minutes when using the mode that preserves the battery".
* The sleeve holds the phone securely: Once the phone is slid into the sleeve, there is an edge around the sleeve that securely holds the phone in place. It takes a fair amount of effort to remove the phone. In other words, once the phone is in the sleeve, you don't have to worry about it sliding out or falling out, regardless of how you hold it. Keep in mind that this is NOT meant to be a protective sleeve. I would only leave it in the sleeve when you want to use it as a charger or a projector.

All in all, this is a decent projector for the price. It works with the apps I care about (though not YouTube, but for me that's not a deal breaker). Interested in showing a video or photos to a small group of people? This might be just what you're looking for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a limited type of usage, November 26, 2012
John W. Graham (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got the 3M Projector Sleeve for my iPhone 4S. This thing is marketed as something you can slip into the back pocket of your skinny-jeans and reveal it at an opportune moment to become the envied owner of the coolest gadget ever, sharing viral videos, doing a slideshow of your photos and projecting a blockbuster movie in a darkened room. But wait, there's more! It even charges your phone. Sarcasm aside, it does do all of those things.

I first hesitated when reading the brightness level of "35 ANSI lumens." Given that most business level conference room 4:3 projectors weigh in between 2500 and 4500 lumens, 35 sounded awfully low. Scaling and contrast ratios mean a lot when viewing content in the context of a home theatre. So how does the PS4100 compare? In a darkened bedroom, projecting against an unobstructed wall, it displays movies and pics pretty good. Not so good in a conference room full of stuffed shirts.

For a business traveler or someone who jumps here and there to do presentations to small groups, this probably isn't the device for you. In fact, the 3M Mobile Projector MP410 would be a better choice for road warriors. For playing back a video to a group of friends gathered in the living room, this is pretty cool and appropriate.

I also tested this device on an iPod Touch and used it to play back a movie, National Treasure from a distance of 8 feet against a white wall. Playback was flawless. You do get about 60-90 minutes on a full charge depending on which projection mode is used. I use it with the charging cable plugged in. I expect that number to decline as the projector ages.

The big dilemma I have in recommending this product is whether it provides any value beyond what you'd get with an iPad or a slim notebook. I really don't find myself using it that much. However, I did use it after a Thanksgiving dinner to display some pics to gathered family. In that capacity, using it was successful. But I typically just use my iPod Touch and the Apple video cable with my HDTV to watch movies. Bottom line...yes, there is a cool gadget factor associated with this device. I'm not skinny enough to wear skinny jeans and even if I did I wouldn't put an iPhone 4S with this thing connected to it in my back pocket. But for a casual gatherings and the ability to quickly throw content against a surface this does its job.

5.0 out of 5 stars runs like a champ!, April 15, 2013
At first I thought this projector was a dud because it flickered so bad, but it turns out it was just super low on battery. Once it was charged up, it's pretty amazing. I know it's made for an iPhone, but it works just as well for an ipod touch 4th generation. Seriously folks, it's super nice for the price. To be honest, if I had paid $300 for it, like those entry level SVGA 800x600 projectors, i would have been satisfied believe it or not. My somewhat...i hate to say elderly...how about "mature" parents thought it was as good as a projector could get. So if you are the type that doesn't notice the difference between 480p and 720p, this will blow you away and make all your wildest dreams come true. For everyone else, it will still impress you, no doubt. Here's the good stuff...

It's very bright, much brighter than i EVER would have thought, pretty incredible. I mean in a very dark room I can project, idk, maybe an 8-9 foot image on the wall and, while it could stand to be a hair brighter for the darkest scenes, it's very very much watchable and enjoyable. You can watch a movie on an image, say, 30 inches across no matter how bright the room you're in is, with all the windows open on a sunny day, doesn't matter. In the late afternoon and evening, maybe a 40-50 inch screen. At night, make it as big as you want. The best color and brightness for me is roughly a 80-100 inch image i suppose. Now...for the nitpicking :)

1). If pressed, i would say it has a hint of a red tint in the picture. Not enough to really bother me though, and is only noticeable if you're looking for it in certain scenes.
2). The focusing wheel is kinda lame lol, but it works. it makes it hard to fine tune it jussssstt right though, but i'm very picky and notice these differences more than most people and it still doesn't bother me much.
3). YOU CAN'T HOOK IT UP TO EXTERNAL SPEAKERS!!! there's no way around it because the headphone jack is blocked (i even bought a 30pin extension cable to circumvent this issue, but to no avail). so disappointed, but then again, the ipod is loud enough for me and in a quiet room will even suffice for a small crowd (not really if they're all eating popcorn though lol). Waaaiiittttt a minute....a BLUETOOTH speaker...yeah, that might just do the trick!
4). When hooked up to the charger, only the projector sleeve charges, the iPod does not. in other words, if it's hooked up to the charger, the amount of movie runtime you get depends upon the iPod's battery.

All in all, it's a great little device. *gives stamp of approval*

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparing 3M's Projector (PS4100) with Telstar's (MP07), August 18, 2013
I really like this type of iPhone pocket projector from the first day I saw it at Brookstone (Telstar MP07) because it combined a) an IPhone 4 case with b) a spare battery and c) a cool pocket projector which I use to show videos and photo slideshows everywhere (including the ceiling in a pinch)! My first one (Telstar) from Brookstone did it's job. When I dropped my iPhone: the case broke apart but the phone survived! But a connector between the two case parts detached. I tried to get a replacement connector by locating / calling / emailing the Chinese company which makes it. No dice. They told me to go back to Brookstone.

Since I dropped it, I figured that it wouldn't be right to go to pursue a Warranty with Brookstone. So I just bought another one from Amazon. After a couple of months, the charging switch stopped working and there was a rattling sound in the case. This time I sent it back to Amazon to get a credit or replacement under the Warranty (manufacturer's defect).

While planning to order a third one, I saw on Amazon that 3M was now selling a similar looking but different version. So I ordered the 3M's and have been trying it out. Here's my thoughts to date:

3M PS4100 vs. Telstar MP07

- After Sale Service 3M. I haven't called 3M. But from comments here, they seem to be much easier to reach than Telstar's manufacturer (for which I could only find a telephone number by Googling creative combinations of the product ID). I called the Chinese company and after a while was put to an English speaking marketer who gave me her email address. I emailed in a request for the connector (with pics and Serial number). No surprises: never got a reply.

- Battery Capacity Telstar. 3M's spec's list a smaller battery capacity which creates a slightly slimmer model. Only problem is that I only get about an 80% recharge from a full 3M battery compared to 100% from Telstar.

- Video Quality 3M. Video projection is much brighter with 3m (specs indicate a brighter projector lamp), and 3M has three handy projection settings depending on whether one is showing video, text, or economy. I haven't compared the length of time which a full battery can sustain a video for either machine. But in practice, I haven't yet used the projector long enough in one session to run out of battery.

- Build 3M. Telestar's case is all matte black while 3M's case is glossy black with chrome panels. My wife thinks the 3M looks sturdier and slimmer. I do notice that 3M's buttons and focus wheel feel much more robust than Telstar's switch and wheel (see problems with switch above). Design and construction generally seems better on the 3M.

- Charging Telstar. When plugged with phone, Telstar charges the phone first then automatically charges its battery. With 3M it is not stated. But at first plug in, the 3M will charge automatically charge its battery. One has to press the "charge phone" button to charge the phone. Then after charging the phone, it looks like one has to press the button again to stop charging the phone and start charging the battery (this doesn't happen automatically and I am not sure whether after the phone reaches 100% the charging switches to the battery automatically; the LED indicators still show the phone charging until somebody presses the button to turn phone charging off).

Overall, I prefer the 3M for its better video, construction, and design (3M and Telstar are currently selling at around the same price of the iPhone 4). But it would be a plus if 3M could adopt the automatic charging of phone first then device battery second which Telstar has. Perhaps 3M may already have this feature when the phone + battery is plugged in and the charging phone button is pressed. If so, the 3M should state this clearly in the instructions?

Hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, December 30, 2013
I got this for my husband this Christmas. We love it!! The extended family loves it too. I think for the price. . . the picture is really good! Actually it is better than the large projector we have for our home theater. It is fun to take everywhere! We don't mind watching the movie on the side of the house if we are sitting outside or on the ceiling if we are laying in the floor. This is a projector so yes it needs to be dark and the darker the better the picture. I think the sound that comes from the projector is really good too, but we are going to look into a bluetooth speaker to see if it will work and we can get it louder :) My husband has a Vudu account and it works great with it as well as looking at home video and photos he has taken on his phone. I gave it a 4 star only because it stays charged for about 1 movie at a time. However, you can keep it plugged in while you are watching it. We will be getting an external battery charger to go along with it as well as a small tripod. Right now we just prop the projector up on whatever we find to hold it in place. Overall I'm very please with this product and my husband loves it. If you have anyone in your family that likes to watch movies on their iphone, I highly recommend this. My teenage daughter and her friends like to roast marshmellows in the backyard and watch a movie on the back of the house. This will prevent us from having to lug and setup our home projector outside.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't display youtube or internet content, only video from your phone, won't display pictures from your phone, December 11, 2013
Does not display any videos accept the ones on your phone. Does not display pictures or any content from the internet. Not worth the investment

4.0 out of 5 stars Important to know one thing, October 2, 2013
Craig Ayliffe (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Impressive in every way with bright daytime images and convenient size features that still allow you to carry your phone in your pocket without noticeable bulk except that the description does not mention that you can not view single images, only slideshows and video. As an oil paint artist who uses photography and digital projection in my preliminary sketches on canvas, I bought this projector sleeve for that primary purpose. I was ready to send it back when I found a wonderful App called "Go Universal" in the IPhone App store. This App seamlessly works with this (and other) IPhone projector sleeves and also extends the range of items you can project and share like Facebook, YouTube Videos, the World Wide Web, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF files. You can also share individual photos, pinch-and-zoom into photos, or add a custom music playlist to your slideshows. ($4.99 a the IPhone App store and a free version called Go U Lite also projects still images with the occasional pop-up reminder).
Very happy! Having a digital projector feature is such a fun addition that it would be hard to imagine that future IPhones wouldn't incorporate this somehow into the IOS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent projections, battery not so great, September 23, 2013
I bought the projector to show a film in Haiti. Needed everythign to be battery powered since there would be no electricity there. I charged the projector before we left and used a solio charger(solar power) as the backup and to recharge the projector. I find that even in the heat of Haiti the projector will hold the charge is says it will but only if charged right before you use it. The first part of the film we showed which was days after it had been charged only lasted 30 minutes. The second day after rechargign it it lasted over an hour till the film was over and still had life in it.

The only real negative thing about it is that it can't mirror your phone, so only stuff from your video or photo album or streaming content like netflix or youtube could be displayed. And you can't get audio from the headphones port, it has to be bluetooth. So I paired it with a HMDX Audio Jam bluetooth wireless speaker and it worked great. I would suggest though either having a larger bluethooth speaker or ones that can pair with others so it can get louder if it's for a larger crowd.

Would have been nice if it had some kind of popup stand to easily aim it up, but overall loved the projector, excellent picture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!!, August 22, 2013
In theory, this is a nice gift or item.....at 1st!!
I would NOT buy this item, you will end up returning it for a full refund.

Serious Warning points:

- When projector is on, the base gets warm/hot/then extremely hot as it is in use.
**** The heat will burn a child's hand if they try to hold the unit or grab the unit while in use. ****

- iPhone/iTouch gets extremely hot during use (be careful removing from base after immediate use).
- The unit does not have a cool down vent or mechanism built into it.
- The unit will allow you to watch 45 - 50 minutes of a movie before your iPhone/iTouch shuts off due to EXCESSIVE HEAT.
- When using as a back-up battery, the unit heats up as stated above.
- Color clarity distorted after 1st full length movie, next use...displayed in black & white to faint colors.

I returned this item back to "Woot.com" (an Amazon.com company) for a full refund and purchased (from Amazon.com) the 3M MP225a Mobile Projector.
B005LU2Z2A

The 3M MP225a Mobile Projector is a better unit that serves the same purpose with a cooling vent and safe to handle when in use.

I would NOT buy this item, you will end up returning it for a full refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work With My iPhone 4s, June 28, 2013
"This Accessory is Not Supported by iPhone" is all I get when plugging the 3M Projector Sleeve for iPhone 4/4S into my iPhone 4S (model A1387, running latest OS, 6.1.3). After troubleshooting the unit on and off the phone with 3M's customer support, I paid to have the unit sent back to 3M. I received a new unit yesterday and am getting the exact same dysfunctional results: a blue projected screen and the "not supported" message. I have no reason to believe my iPhone is defective, as it works perfectly with everything else. Nonetheless, that was 3M's customer support explanation: "Something must be wrong with your phone's connector." But again, everything else works just fine. The iPhone has never been dropped nor wet and is 100% functional. An $89 paperweight.

3M Projector Sleeve for iPhone 4/4S (PS4100)
Used & New from: $144.99