5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - good seller
This product is excellent, but its hard to find at regular stores. Usually you'll only see the Upholstery product at hardware and department stores (make sure you get the correct version of the product for your needs!)

Published on February 15, 2009 by Andrew Moseley

3.0 out of 5 stars Ups and Downs of this product
If you use this on upholstery fabric like say a recliner
you want to do it outside where it can air out and dry quicker
even the heaviest multiple coats will last 12-18 months max with normal wear

Published on February 9, 2011 by Trinity

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - good seller, February 15, 2009
This review is from: 3M Scotchgard Carpet Protector, 14-Ounce (1023H) (Tools & Home Improvement)

We have very light carpet, kids, cats that throw up, and a dog who gets really dirty feet, so I use it every time I clean our carpets. I have high traffic areas that kept getting stains every few weeks or months (depending on the season) with ScotchGard Carpet Protector they have now gone over a year without getting any stains. You have to make sure you apply it heavily and then manually work it into the fibers of the carpet and let it fully dry for the best results. Don't think you can just lightly spray it and have the same durability. The time is worth the effort because you won't have to clean stains again for a long time.

A previous post mentioned that the current seller costs too much for shipping, but the alternative sellers all had higher shipping costs when I looked. I bought in bulk to reduce the overall percentage of the shipping costs, plus if you have a lot of carpet area, you need a lot of ScotchGard. The seller shipped the product quickly and it was well packaged to prevent accidental discharge.

Pros:

- Awesome carpet protection

Cons:

- Hard to find at local stores
- You need a lot of it. (Saturate the carpet area and give it time to fully dry before you allow anyone to walk on it (I use painters floor covers to give it a day of drying time (its worth the hassle because it protects your carpet for so much longer than the lightly coated spray jobs done by some professional cleaning companies. I had to redo the cleaning and protection done by the last company we used because stains came back after they did their work).

3.0 out of 5 stars Ups and Downs of this product, February 9, 2011
If you use this on upholstery fabric like say a recliner
you want to do it outside where it can air out and dry quicker
even the heaviest multiple coats will last 12-18 months max with normal wear

Walmart carries it now in the 10 oz cans and Home Depot carries the 14 oz. Don't let the 14 oz can fool you, it's basically the same stuff, I've used both and noticed no difference. Plus when you add in the shipping cost on this product, it's not worth it unless you only want minimal protection.

If you want real protection, the product should also resist oil/grease type stains as well and there are other better products out there that will do this.
They will also say they are used both for carpets and upholstery.

303 is an excellent product and Sunbrella likes it which says something.
I've noticed it sold here on Amazon. You get what you pay for.

I also have a bimini top on my boat as well as a good cover and the Scotchguard product barely makes it through the winter. Since switching to 303, I do it once a year if it needs it or not due to our incredibly harsh winters and harsh sun up in the mtns.

There's also Master Bled by SCM which is also excellent. I've tried everything out there over the years and these two products are exceptional both indoors and out. They take a little longer to cure and dry, but it's well worth the wait. They also penetrate the fabric better. If it says it can be used on anything from Herculon(olefin), leather, to silk, then you know you have a great product.

You can buy these two in larger quantities and apply them with a pump up sprayer.
If you're looking for something quick to just get by with, then the Scotchguard will get you by if your material isn't getting too much wear or weather.

With shoes and jackets and such, you can simply get by with Kiwi silicone spray for about $5 a can at Wallyworld. It will serve you just as well as the Scotchguard. I hope this helps some. It can be frustrating when you need serious protection and the product doesn't do the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works to make stain lifting easier!, August 15, 2010
I ordered this product after moving into a new place that does not have stain resistant carpet. The carpet is thick pile and a light color. Anything that spills on it, immediately soaks into the fibers, and nothing works to get out the stain. Absolutely nothing works. I've never seen anything like it, it's horrible. I have a dog who sometimes has accidents, a child who has food and beverage mishaps and now you can see everywhere they've traversed in the house due to the stains.

So I purchased this product to see if the remaining clean area could stay clean. While the spills/mishaps still seem to immediately soak right in, they are much easier to get out with regular soap/water and carpet cleaning products. The directions say you need to reapply the product after carpet cleaning so I ordered several cans.

One can did a small living room and dining area. There was no carpet fading. So I would rate this product a success.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep my carpets clean, April 7, 2011
Easy to use and no lasting odor. Only time will tell how effective it is.I have had scotchguard put on my carpets before after having them professionally cleaned and found that I don't have to have them cleaned as often if they are scotchguarded. One can was enough to clean 500 sq. of carpet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Less ounces than in the past, November 18, 2011
This product has been good in the past. I bought more recently at Menards for $6.99, less than Amazon and without the shipping cost, just the gas to get to the store.
Be aware of the amount of carpeting a can will cover. My old can (admittedly many years old) of 23 oz states that it covers a 9 ft x 12 ft area while this can of 14 oz covers a 5 ft x 6 ft area. This calculates out to 4.69 sq ft per oz for the old can and only 2.14 sq ft per oz for the new can. My memory must be right that I used about a can per room years ago, and this took 4 cans. It's the trick of the manufacturers giving you less in a package.
I didn't "manually work it into the fibers" as one reviewer wrote. I hadn't done that in the past, although it does seem like a good idea, I just didn't think of doing it. I will have to see how it performs with just the spray on.
P.S. Next day. I'm downgrading my rating. After letting my carpet dry, I vacuumed it. I could hardly move the vacuum cleaner over the carpet. It was like the vacuum cleaner was sticking to the carpet. And it wasn't the carpet shampoo sticking. In places where I didn't spray the Scotchgard, like behind my sofa, I didn't have the problem, the vacuum cleaner was easy to glide over it. I don't think I will be buying this product again. They must have changed the formula since I last used this product. I hope I will not have to re-shampoo my carpet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, November 8, 2011
DO NOT try to use this product on anything but carpet. It will leave residue behind that will be difficult to get out. Works great on the carpet though!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, January 14, 2012
i put this on in an even spray all over the main walk areas on our carpeting. stays clean much longer, plus stains are few. things wipe up much easier between shampoos, too. i would hate to clean my carpets and not protect them with this wonderful product afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars scotchgard carpet protector, February 22, 2014
The product protects my rugs for a year. Next time, I would order the 17-ounce size. The 14-ounce size was used up too fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars SCOTCHGARD CARPET PROTECTOR, January 17, 2014
I SHAMPOO CARPETS FOR MY CLEANING SERVICE..SO I PUT THIS ON AFTER. IT SAVES THE CARPET.. A BIG THANK YOU!!~~

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 15, 2013
This product doesn't allow anything to stick to our rug. Even dog hair won't stick, it just balls up, it's bizarre to see, but it makes cleaning easier. I dropped caramel on the rug, I picked it up with my fingers. Yeah, you read that right, I picked it up with my fingers. It stuck to my fingers just fine, but not the rug, or the furniture for that matter, but that's for the fabric protector review.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3M Scotchgard Carpet Protector, 14-Ounce (1023H)
$28.93 $8.77
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies