5.0 out of 5 stars The PERFECT tape for my record 'jackets'!
When I was much younger I used to wonder where the library got the thick, glossy, clear tape they put on the edges of 'perfect bound' softcover books. I thought it would be ideal to use on my record albums' outer jackets to keep them from deteriorating into illegibility on their spines.

I finally made the all-important 'connection' when I spied a library intern...
Published on July 25, 2009 by Doctor Dan

3.0 out of 5 stars The cost is a bit much
Published on April 4, 2011 by G. Swift

5.0 out of 5 stars The PERFECT tape for my record 'jackets'!, July 25, 2009
Doctor Dan (Bangor, Maine) - See all my reviews

I finally made the all-important 'connection' when I spied a library intern applying this tape to some books behind the checkout desk. She told me that this tape doesn't dry out, yellow and crack like all other kinds of clear tapes and that it's especially designed for the "long-run"(it is 'archival' and neutral Ph). That was over thirty years ago and I've been using 3M's 845 'Book Tape' THAT long on my record album jackets with TOTAL success!

I have hundreds of LP record album jackets that I've used the 2 inch wide tape on and they're still clear and perfectly readable after all these years! Some of my albums that I used other 'clear' tapes have utterly failed the test of time, the various other types and brands disintegrating into crumbling bits of brittle opaque flakes over the years. But not ANY that I used this 3M tape on!!!

So, if you want THE 'perfect' clear tape to protect your record jacket edges and keep them readable for decades, use THIS tape! There are other widths available, but the two inch wide seems to be the best for the record album jackets. Most highly recommended!

And, yes, I also use it to protect and preserve the edges of most of my 'perfect-bound' paperback books too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for paperback books, August 7, 2009
I never knew about this product until I saw a librarian at the school use it. It's great for paperbacks where the covers are starting to separate from being read too many times. If you have the 4 inch wide tape you can run it down the spine & it folds over to protect the fold for the front and back covers. It stays pliable and works great.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing ,but not commonly known product., March 17, 2013
This is an amazing product from the "Get Go".I have a large personal library.Many of my books are "used" and as such, often need some repair.I am not talking about rare or expensive books;but simply books that show wear or even damage.It took me several years to learn how to make simple ,inexpensive repairs that did not result in even more damage or unsightly repairs.By this I mean Duct Tape,Colth tape,Vinyl tape such as electrical tape,ordinary "Scotch Tape",of which there are many manufacturers;or God forbid,Masking Tape.These are all very prone to failing by drying out and/or becoming sticky;resulting in a mess.
Then one day,I noticed that libraries used a tape that did a great job,withstood much hard use,even abuse, and lasted for years.I asked what they used and was told about this tape.It is about double in cost to the cheaper tapes;but at least ten times better.It never dries out,discolors or gets sticky.However; must stress that this is a super product for reparing ordinary or low cost books,but in no way am I suggesting it should be used on rare or very expensive books...that is the realm of experienced bookbinders and experts.Once I found out about Book Tape,I had difficulty in buying it as it is not generally found in most stationery stores.I eventually found a Distributer and got it there.Now it is easy to find,right here on Amazon and at a great price.I can also tell you that the tape which I use is made by Scotch and is called "Book Tape",just as shown here.I don't know whether or not there are other manufacturers or not.I have read several of the other Reviews and agree with everything they say about how good it is.I use the 1 1/2 inch wide;but other widths are also available.The use of this tape is not limited to books;as I have found many other uses for it over the yesrs.Just about any time you want a long lasting tape that won't dty out or get sticky,it does a great job.Beware,if you have kids making crafts,or people wrapping gifts;it's a shame to waste this great tape on that sort of stuff.Transparent ,Magic ,or ordinary tape will suffice.
Also,another product,Goo Gone is a just as useful for repairing books.This product is invaluable for removing all sorts of stickers as well as any tapes that have been used in repair bor aqttaching clear covers over dust jackets.See my review dated March 27,2011.It's on one of a couple of the Goo Gone products listed on Amazon.
While at the Distributer,I asked if they had a good glue for repairing books.They recommended a product by Radiant Bond.It is "a strong flexible permanent Plastic Adhesive". It is better than the ordinary white glues or the super product Weldbond which I Reviewed on December 16,2012.An excellent product,but not flexible as required for repairing books.
The fact that Radient Bond or similar glues remain flexible makes them a much better glue for repairing the binding ,separated splines,etc.I can't find the product I use here on Amazon,but there are several similar glues listed under "Book Repair" What you should look for is a glue that dries clear,is acid- free and most important long lasting and flexible.
There are lots of choices in products.They are usually a little more expensive than run-of- the- mill products,but far superior in performance.There are also Book Repair kits which are excellent and there are many pamphlets and books available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Did a great job repairing our book, October 9, 2009
Susan Allen (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This product exceeded my expectations. I had never properly repaired a book binding before. The detailed instructions are very clear and produce a great result. The only criticism is that unless you have a very thin book, the width of this tape is not really adequate to cover the spine with some extra for the sides. We solved this by using two separate strips: both covered the spine, and one went to one side and the other to the other side. Turned out great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for children who love books, June 1, 2010
This review is from: 3M 1.5" See-Through Book Repair Tape (Office Product)
Perfect to help save worn/torn pages from young children.
No yellowing either! Next baby shower I'm giving a book and This tape!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough tape, December 23, 2009
J. R. Schafer (Sonoma, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M 1.5" See-Through Book Repair Tape (Office Product)
We use this tape to reinforce manila folders in my office. It means the folders last 3 time longer before needing replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bookbinding, June 27, 2010
I do simple bookbinding of some of my E-books using a heavy-duty stapler than can staple up to 300 sheets. I searched for a simple way of covering the spine and stables of the book and tried this 4 inch wide book tape.

The Scotch 4 inch wide Book Tape is a perfect solution!

Harry G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sturdy Tape, February 4, 2009
Tinkster "Bell" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I needed something to tape labels on with that would be difficult to remove. This stuff really fills the bill. I have not had to replace a single label since I started using it. The only problem is when you are ready to remove the label. Then it is a fair amount of time and effort to get it off.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this stuff!, October 2, 2011
I run a very busy preschool and need to stick labels on everything, including tables that get wiped down frequently. I used lots of different methods of adhesives and the corners would peel right away. I don't remember who suggested Book Tape, but I've been using it for a couple of years and it has saved my sanity. I usually buy the 3" and 4" rolls.

The corners do start peeling, but only after months of constantly wiping the table. What I really like is how cleanly it comes up. When I do need to replace them, it comes up without leaving any residue. I don't understand how something that stays stuck so very well can also be pulled up cleanly. With my other adhesives, not only did it not last long but invariable I'd have to get out some GooBGone and elbow grease to get rid of the sticky residue, then soap and water to get rid of the goo remover and then put on the new adhesive. Now I just pull up the book tape and slap down a new one (if you round the corners of the tape with scissors it stays even longer with wiping). Labels on things that are not wiped daily last the entire year and on into the next.

I use it to put picture labels on plastic toy boxes, name labels on wood cubbies, and labels on laminate tables without it leaving any residue. Oh, I have even repaired a few books and used it as lamination for small projects. I cannot do without it. In fact after visiting my sons classroom and seeing the horrible state of their desk table labels, I think I am going to donate a roll to his teacher.

3.0 out of 5 stars The cost is a bit much, April 4, 2011
G. Swift "97jedi" (Southwestern Missouri) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Sure, this tape will do everything the small illustrations on the package show (which are apparently for people who never figured out how to use tape...). However, this tape is not any different from the same tape you can get for less in a generic form anywhere. It does not seem appreciably stronger or thicker (which would be detrimental to strengthening edges of books in any case) than the cheap packing tape available at any department, discount or hardware store. I love this kind of tape for repairing or preventing damage to larger format paperbacks (like my Rise and Fall of the Third Reich), but the price on this roll of simple clear tape is just too high. Get some of the cheap stuff for $1-2 and get the same results.

3M 1.5" See-Through Book Repair Tape