5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent General Dust Mask

3.0 out of 5 stars 3M 6291 Respirator
Published on November 14, 2011 by Bill Gallagher

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent General Dust Mask, May 26, 2008
libertywatch (Lake Geneva, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M 6000 Series Half Facepiece Respirator, Medium (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have been using this mask, with the pink 3M model# 2091 P100 RESPIRATOR FILTERS 3M - 2091 - 3M P100 Particulate Filter, for many years for woodworking, construction demolition and drywall sanding. It's like breathing through a HEPA filter. Keeps dust, mold, pollen and other airborne debris out of your respiratory tract MUCH BETTER than those cheap paper masks you find in hardware and Home stores. It's also very lightweight and comfortable for day-long use. A pair (2 needed) of replacement filters are cheap at around $5. The mask comes in small, medium and large sizes to fit your face for a good airtight seal against your skin. I'd have to find a new line of work and different hobbies if not for these babies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Comfortable, and Effective, October 21, 2009
Based upon this websites recommendations and my need to block allergans and particulate matter while doing yard work I purchased this mask. The disposable pink filters were the only assembly required and they were simple and intuitive. The medium mouth piece was large enough for my face, and I imagine fits must average size faces, but I sometimes wonder if I a larger size would have been slightly more comfortable. The medium size is large enough to cover my nose and mouth but there is light pressure on the bridge of my nose that causes some annoyance when I first start to wear it. The mask features two elastic straps. The first positions around the back of the head and even has a cradle for the top of your skull. The second wraps around the neck and features a simple plastic hook that is easy to adjust and very comfortable. Breathing requires a little more effort and there is a subtle temperature increase to the air you breath, but these very small differences reinforce the feeling that you are inhaling purified and particle free air. For the price and the obvious benefit it is a terrific product.

4.0 out of 5 stars the mediums are small on me, November 12, 2009
I read in a couple different reviews that the medium size is supposed to fit 70-80% of people. After trying on the medium, I'm not sure I believe that. I have a big nose, but I still think the medium is quite small... even if I had a normal sized nose. Because the fit isn't right, the mask leaks air and is uncomfortable.

I think this is a good product, but I'm going to have to order a large.

I'm guessing the small would have to be for small children. I can't imagine any adult would need anything smaller than a medium.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3M 6291 Respirator, November 14, 2011
I am 6'3" 220 lbs, have an average size head but have a broad nose bridge. I bought this respirator in a medium size and found that it was too small and uncomfortable after wearing it for an hour or more. I ended up buying the 3M 7500 respirator in large and it fits great and is made of a more comfortable material. The 7500 also forces exhaust downwards and away from your glasses or faceshield to prevent fogging.

Get the 7500 and go large if you have any doubts of the size.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great for cat allergies., September 8, 2009
We bought this for my husband, who has severe cat allergies but does not want to rely on medication every day to control his allergic reactions to the stray cat we recently adopted.

The mask works wonderfully and gives him the confidence to be in the same room with our cat. And no, he doesn't wear the mask 24 hours a day (that would be sad!), just when he's in really close proximity with the cat's bedding or any upholstered surfaces that have not been recently vacuumed. We also have a RabbitAir brand air purifier, which also helps immensely.

A note about the size of the mask: apparently this mask also comes in small and large. I couldn't find any information on the Internet about what size to choose, so I called the customer support number at the manufacturer, 3M. I was told that about 70% of customers fit into the medium size, so that was what we bought. The fit is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, May 14, 2010
I have bad allergies in the spring and summer time and I currently am taking care of foreclosed homes yard work here in the mountains. Without this respirator there is no way I could get as many homes done in a day and as comfortably as I do. My allergies would be killing me!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, June 5, 2011
I ordered this to use in my welding class because the schools vacuum ventilation system was not properly installed and failed to provide proper protection from dust and welding fumes. The fit up is important and most average sized guys of around 5'9" and 200lbs will find this a good fit in the medium. Cleaning it is a breeze and all you need is warm water and mild soap, adjustment is easy and it stays on securely regardless of your work position and has no problem when wearing a full face welding shield. Range of vision is barely obstructed thanks in part to the pancake filter and filter location. Filtration was fully effective and I went from allot of coughing and flem discharge to no coughing and no flem discharge and best of all no welder boogers ( trust me if you've never welded you dont want to know )so if your welding or working in a trade with allot of dust then get this respirator and save your lungs and your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, comfortable, breathable, May 23, 2013
Have been using this for shaping surfboards, outstandingly dusty work, and it works great for that. I don't think anything gets through. It's very comfortable and that head-strap is great, very secure. It's a little warm, but I think that's the case with any mask. I think it's very breathable, more so than other cheaper masks I've tried. It does block a lot of your voice since its so thick which is why it earns a 5 star review from my wife. You just have to talk a little louder. Works fine with glasses/goggles. One final note - this did not come with the pink filters that are shown in the pictures. You have to order the "3M P100 Particulate Filter with Organic Vapor Relief, 2-Pack" separately, and 2-pack means 1 pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Expected, November 9, 2008
This item came and I took it out. There were no punctures in the bag or package it came in. It fit my girlfriend well (she's wearing it), but it fit me small (as expected).

The fit is is pretty tight as you test it by inhaling and closing off the filter connections. So there aren't any air leaks. So I'm pretty confident that this respirator works well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing Filters, July 13, 2012
I have had several of these masks over the years, and they work well under a welding shield or clear face shield. The reason for the low rating is that this says it comes with P100 filters, and mine did not. I retured it