5.0 out of 5 stars Hands-free is nice!
Published on October 1, 2011 by M. Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not worth it (vs. Repel products)
Published 17 months ago by Sybilla Palmifera

2.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not worth it (vs. Repel products), August 14, 2013
This review is from: 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Hands-Free Lotion, 1.5-Ounce (SRL-12HF) (Lawn & Patio)
For a two-week trip around Costa Rica this August, I thoroughly researched the best insect repellents, especially as I am highly allergic to mosquitoes (I get massive welts that itch--and are often hot to the touch--for days). I also worried about the no-seeums and sand flies. We planned to trek through multiple rainforests and spend some time in the hot, humid Caribbean, so I wanted to be well covered! Originally, I thought I needed a 100% DEET product, but after much research, I learned that it was not necessary to have such a high concentration (which could also cause adverse reactions). I decided to go for products in the 30-40% DEET range, and ended up buying three different ones: the Repel Sportsmen MAX pump spray, the Repel wipes, and the Ultrathon cream.

I am writing this review to say that ALL of them worked well, BUT I HATED using Ultrathon. Like some reviews said, it is very sticky (does not absorb into skin). Therefore, everything sticks TO you! Dirt, sand, bugs...you name it. AND once stuck, it is almost impossible to get things like sand and dirt off without a heavy-duty scrubbing (brushing only smears everything). When you are already in a hot, humid climate, bug repellent makes you feel dirty as it is; Ultrathon, however, made me feel the ickiest. The Repel pump spray and wipes never had the sticky problem, worked very well, and did not smell offensive (except a little when you first apply them--outdoors, of course). Therefore, I'd recommend them instead.

I'd actually recommend getting BOTH Repel products. The wipes are good for carrying in a pocket and using quickly. They are especially good for small areas like your neck. I also tucked them in the bottom of my hiking pants (which cinched) to ward off sand flies while looking at turtles nesting on the beach at midnight. I even used them to wipe down for a little extra protection when in some of the more "rustic" accommodations at night. The Sportsmen MAX spray, however, was good for a more hands-free application (with Ultrathon and the Repel wipes, you have to wash your hands THOROUGHLY for several minutes after using them--especially with Ultrathon). The Repel spray was also good to spray on clothes (for things I either hadn't pre-treated with the Sawyer permethrin spray or things that were water-proof so that the permethrin wouldn't sink in). I think it was also easier to cover larger areas of skin.

I hardly got any bites at all, even when walking through swarms of mosquitoes! Most of the ones I got were indoors in bathrooms (when I wasn't wearing anything). I only got, maybe, 3 or 4 outdoors (two of them on my butt through untreated hiking pants--that's when I started spraying a little Repel on my clothes, too!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands-free is nice!, October 1, 2011
M. Anderson (Greenville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This lotion works well and goes a long way, but it can be a bit heavy and greasy. That's what makes the sponge applicator good. You don't have to use your hands. The down side is it takes a couple minutes to apply the lotion. It's not fast like a deet spray. But most sprays stink, and this is mild in the odor department. And it repels well - we were in India for 2 weeks, and I never got a bug bite while I used this lotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective, August 21, 2010
Tried a natural repellent, didn't work. Didn't want to use 100% deet, so the 33% deet offering 12hr protection seemed to be a less toxic alternative. Applied sparingly, Ultrathon worked very well. Reapplied after swimming. The sponge top did not really work that well. Next time I will buy the bottle of lotion instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, December 19, 2012
We recently went on safari at two game reserves outside of Kenya, Africa. Insects LOVE me :-( and was really worried about being exposed to any number of insect-spread issues.

This repellent from 3M was amazing. Apply a small amount on exposed areas and trust me that nothing will land on you....no insect will come close! Do yourself a favor and get the bottle with the applicator sponge built into it for easy application and no messy hands.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor applicator, July 29, 2012
The mediocrity of this product is related more to its applicator than the chemical repellant itself. I think that the lotion part of the product may work, but the sponge tip is hard and non-absorbent which makes application spotty at best. I guess that the bugs avoided the parts of body that the lotion hit, but found the spots where it didn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked in the Amazon Jungle, March 13, 2013
I bought this as recommended by my travel doctor. It's a little pricey, but a little bottle goes a long way. I took three bottles for a week in the Amazon, but really only used one. I wore pants and longsleeves for protection and put this repellent on my arms, neck, and shoulders. One village we went in was swarming with mosquitos and this did great. After an entire week I only had a couple of bites and they were around my ankles (where I didn't put any of this on). Great stuff, I will definitely use it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars India travel, March 24, 2012
Bought this at the recommendation of my doctor for a trip to India (instead of taking anti-malarial medication). It worked really well and I loved that I didn't have to touch it - just make sure to wash your hands afterward just in case. I thought I would need two bottles because it's so small, but I ended up with plenty extra in the first bottle and didn't open the second.

2.0 out of 5 stars Foam applicator good in theory but fails in practice, August 26, 2013
I bought this because I heard the foam applicator was a good way to spread the repellent on your skin without getting DEET on your hands. The problem is the lotion is very firm and does not spread easily. You end up with 2mm-wide stripes on your body. I ended up using my hands. I'm going back to the spray.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in the category, December 12, 2012
As anyone who really gets out in the wilderness knows, this is really the only insect repellent to use. It really works.

I wish it was less chemical-y but the natural stuff has never worked for me like Ultrathon does. This is what you use when you absolutely want the bugs to stay off you. Seriously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Product works well but the applicator is useless., August 21, 2013
I agree with some of the other reviewers; the applicator sponge is totally useless. The repellent squeezes through a hole in the center of the sponge applicator but the sponge itself is pretty hard and non-absorbent; the sponge just streaks the repellent on your skin. We ended up just applying the Ultrathon directly to our palms and them rubbing it in with our hands. Since we would apply it before leaving our hotel room, it was just as easy to use our hands and then wash them after applying the lotion.