5.0 out of 5 stars Recent Convert
Last week this item wasn't available through Amazon, so I drove to a Wal*Mart 40 miles away. It was worth the drive. I am thrilled with this product. It does everything and more than the ads say. It will fill one bottle at a time if you want and it has a spout on the side so you could fill a container to make coffee.

But just a little info., shame on this...
Published on September 2, 2010 by Linda G. Ezzat

The 3M Filtrete Water Station is a good product idea with some positive aspects. But the product's poor design will inevitably show its flaws after long term use. I advise anybody considering this product to buy an alternative.

Published on March 30, 2011 by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Recent Convert, September 2, 2010
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)

But just a little info., shame on this vendor for their price. I paid $37.95 for this at Wal*Mart. I know it's hard, but if you can't find it somewhere for that price...wait. Soon it will be all over the web.

1.0 out of 5 stars Filtrete Water Station - Too Many Design Flaws; Look For Something Better, March 30, 2011
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

This is clearly marketed towards families who drink a lot of bottled water. The product website repeatedly lists how using the water station is better than drinking bottled water. But they should have taken some time to compare this product to other water filtration systems on the market instead.

The bottom line: use a home filter or purchase an alternative filter system from ZeroWater, Mavea, PUR or Brita, and buy your own bottles to fill. I like the Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Water Bottle but see-through plastic bottles are also available.

PROS:
++ New filter design works quickly
++ Indicator system tells you when it's time to change your filter after 3 months
++ Filters are designed so that they can be disassembled and partially recycled
++ Can fill 1 - 4 bottles at once, or a pitcher using the spout
++ Bottles are BPA free, & also are nice and clear so you can see your water
++ Bottles are dishwasher safe

CONS:
-- No information is provided on filtration percentages or elements that are filtered; both Pur and Brita have this data on their websites and product packaging
-- Station does not drain well; standing water will provide a breeding ground for bacteria
-- Filter is not secured in place, so water will run around it if you over-fill it
-- To avoid that problem, you must fill the well slowly because it holds little water at a time
-- Bottles overfill, especially when filling fewer than 4
-- Mounting bottles is clunky
-- Spouts leak when you remove bottles
-- Bottles close via clumsy lever arms that are hard to close and open
-- That makes it easier to screw off the tops rather than drink from the tops
-- Drinking from the bottle tops also spreads germs when you attach them to the spouts for refills
-- Getting the water out of a specific spout requires you to lean the station all over, leading to leaks and more mess
-- If you refrigerate the bottles, the station itself becomes a space waster
-- If you leave the bottles attached, the water becomes stale
-- The only way to prevent stale water is to disassemble and dry the components nightly
-- Even after doing this, it's almost impossible to shake all the water out of the filter itself
-- Even after washing the filter many times and filtering 10+ gallons of water, there is still tons of filter sediment in the water station when I disassemble and clean it
-- Replacement filters are more expensive than alternatives
-- MSRP is also much higher than most alternatives

CONCLUSION

This product may work for a small number of people. Perhaps few people are as picky as I am, but I recommend you choose one of the alternatives outlined above. As for me, I have developed my own work-around to use this unit.
1. I filter my water with my Pur pitcher first.
2. I run the filtered water through the Water Station.
3. I use the filled bottles for drinking at home.
4. I disassemble the entire unit every few days to let it air out.

Happy shopping.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good at first but then issues with filters, December 5, 2010
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
I have been using this system for about 4 months now and about 2/3 weeks ago I started having a musty/mold type taste in my water. I replaced the filter since it was time to replace it anyway. I flushed about 3 full sets of bottles through the filter and system to make sure there was no residue left from the old filter. The first set after that seemed to be ok. After about 2 weeks though it now has a mold/mildew taste again. I tasted the water right out of the tap and that flavor is not there. After having it happen twice I will not be using this filter system again.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 12:40:04 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Thank you for sharing your experience. Filtrete™ would not expect this to happen. We invite you to contact us directly at 800-388-3458 (7:00 am to 6:00 pm US CST M-F) to discuss additional quality issues and to send out Postage Paid Label for the return/replacement of the product for our quality lab to review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast filter that doesn't really clean water, January 2, 2011
ch_everyounce (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
This filter is incredibly fast, especially compared with pitchers, faucet-mounts, and distillers. But the bottles leak more than 50% of the time in the week I used it. And more troubling: the system doesn't seem to purify the water much. The claim that it "helps reduce sediment, chlorine taste and odor from tap water" is not exactly specific chemical information. "Helps reduce" doesn't say much, nor are sediment and chlorine odor and taste the biggest things I want filtered out of tap water. As far as I can tell, this system reduces dirt and chlorine from water faster than letting the water sit in a glass for a couple of hours (which gets rid of chlorine and allows sediment to settle to the bottom), but not much more than that. None of the information on the box, the marketing copy, or the 3M web site specify what the filtrete water station removes from water. What percentages and what chemicals does it remove? If they don't specify, chances are it's still in the water.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 12:48:19 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Thank you for your review. The Filtrete™ Fast Flow Filter reduces chlorine taste and odor, and sediment. The Filtrete™ Fast Flow Filter has been tested according to NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) Standard 42 and found to reduce chlorine by 96%. The pH of the water that passes through the filter is not modified. The filter is intended for use with potable water (water that is safe to drink). If you have any other questions please contact us at 800-388-3458 (7:00 am to 6:00 pm US CST M-F)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't they come out with this sooner?, September 21, 2010
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
As soon as I saw this advertised on TV, I started searching for it online and in the store. I ended up finding it at Walmart for $37 as another reviewer did. The system filters very quickly - much more convenient than my Brita pitcher than I've been using for years. No more waiting 5 minutes to fill the pitcher! It only takes about 30 seconds to fill all four bottles and the overflow valve is handy as well. Also, no soaking filters for 15 minutes in addition to wasting a gallon of water. Just run water over the filter for a minute or two and you're ready to go! The bottles are a little difficult to open and close but the fact that they are leak proof is worth it. Also, my 2 year old daughter can't open them so that is a plus! However, the opening is small enough that she can drink from them without spilling. The bottles are attractive, a nice size, and good quality as well as BPA free!!
I suppose you can fill the bottles, take them off the station and put them in the fridge, or you can just put the whole thing in the fridge if you are like me and have more fridge space than counter space. My husband even likes it and that it a shocker!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, November 6, 2010
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
I just got this from Wal-Mart tonight for the $37.44 price - in the box was the station, 1 filter, and 4 bottles - I also bought two 2-pks of extra water bottles at $14.88 for ea 2-pk so I could have 8 bottles total ($67.20 for the station & extra bottles). I might even get more!

So far, so great - as others have said, the water filters through and fills the bottles very quickly and I tested it with 4 bottles and then with just one bottle and it works great with either - when filling just one, water does not come out or even drip out of the other dispensers.

The only thing I would suggest is to make sure to fill the bottles when the station is sitting in the sink - I noticed that when I pulled a bottle out of the station, a little bit of water came dribbling out of the station so keeping it in the sink while filling and removing the bottles would have helped with that.

Like another said, the bottles arent the easiest to open and close, but that's ok - I really just wanted this product to help me eliminate some/most/all of the plastic water bottles I was using and it is doing just that.

I also like that the filter is supposed to last for about 3mos - so I only need to spend $11 or so every 3 months for a filter, which is great.

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars because of the difficult bottle tops and the water leaking when you remove the bottles from the station.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the $$$, September 13, 2010
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
I just recently bought this machine from Sam's Club and find it COMPLETELY worth the money. The BPA Free water bottles are durable, and the lid snaps very tight! It will fill up to 4 bottles at a time, but will also do 1, 2, or 3 as well. No leaks whatsoever. I find the bottles the perfect size for travel, as well as to use with the single serving packets of crystal light. I would reccommend going to Sam's or Walmart where it is sold for $37 dollars and you get an EXTRA 2 water bottles as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poor implementation., April 8, 2012
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
I think this is a good idea, but it is a little misleading, I thought you could just dump some water in and it would filter and fill the bottles while I went about my business, actually the "reservoir" doesn't even hold enough water to fill two of the bottles, so you are required to stand there and keep adding water until all the bottles are filled and then dump the excess water out. In short, it is usable, but nowhere nearly as user friendly as I thought it would be. I personally will use this until the filter wears out and then buy one of the filtered water pitchers.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 12:41:00 PM PDT
(MANUFACTURER)
Thank you for your response. It sounds like your filter may not be fully conditioned. It may take 1 day or more to fully condition your new Filtrete™ Fillter for optimal water flow rate. The water flow rate should increase during the first several days. If you are still having issues, please give us a call at 800-388-3458 (7:00 am to 6:00 pm US CST M-F).

1.0 out of 5 stars This product is a complete fraud., September 5, 2011
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wanted to like this product - I am ever on the quest for a better water filtration system. Bear with me while I briefly mention a competitor - before I even get to the 3M Filtrete - because it is relevant to my assessment of the 3M product.

Filtration:

I recently purchased a ZeroWater ZD-023 23-Cup Water Dispenser and Filtration System system, which advertises the ability to remove all "solid" contaminants from water, as measured by a meter included with all Zero Water pitchers. Solids are measured in [solid] Parts Per Million, or PPM. The meter is supposedly manufactured by a company other than Zero Water. I have measured, by way of comparison, the following water sources, with this meter, to determine whether or not is is rigged.

Tap water at two separate hotels in Bethel, CT: 233 PPM
Home tap water in a town in Dutchess Co., NY: 81 PPM
Water filtered through the Zero Water filter: 0 PPM
Water filtered through a brand new Brita pitcher filter: 44 PPM
Water filtered through a Brita pitcher filter after a few weeks: 77 PPM

Thus, as Zero Water could have no way of knowing what relative water qualities exist in various communities, and the fact that it can measure a change not only in it's own filter's efficiency (my first Z.W. filter is now producing filtered water at 3PPM, not 0 PPM; Z. W. says to change the filter when it gets to 6 PPM), but also that of a competitor (the Brita Pitcher), I decided to use it to relatively compare the 3M product as well.

Bad news. This product is at best, a dud, and at worst a fraud. As I indicated above, my tap water is 81. My Zero Water, filtered, is at 3 PPM. And my Brita pitcher is at 77 PPM. Ok, so meter appears to be working. Here's what I got from five complete fill-ups of the four included bottles (max you can fill at one time).

(Please excuse the lack of spacing...I put them in, but it will not publish other than as you see below).

Fill 1 Fill 2 Fill 3 Fill 4 Fill 5
Bottle 1 81 80 81 78 79
Bottle 2 83 79 80 78 79
Bottle 3 84 75 80 80 78
Bottle 4 84 82 80 77 80

Essentially, worse than a used Brita filter on day one.

Ease of use:

The bottles do not fill evenly, even when on a level surface. It actually works best when you remove the full bottles, to force the system to fill the others more quickly.

This flaw segues nicely into the next absurdity: the manual indicates you should fill the system in the sink...by *repeatedly* filling the reservoir...after it empties. Folks, that is *several* fill-ups. The reservoir is small. Who has time or patience for this?? And do you know of a sink that has a level bottom? I don't, and it exacerbates the "level-filling" problem of the previous paragraph! <roll eyes>

The only positive I can give about the whole system is the bottle closures - pretty neat, and no leaks. There is also no leaking when you remove a full bottle from the system, so the instant "closure" of the valve - when the upward pressure of an inserted bottle is removed - is flawless. Given the Filtrete's total failure for its' intended purpose, however, these positives are not even worth one star.

Conclusion:

Bottom line? This is a total joke. A worthless fraud. How did this ever make it onto a retail shelf?! Look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, happy, happy, May 12, 2011
This review is from: 3M Filtrete Water Station (Kitchen)
We've been using this product for about two weeks now, and I am still very happy I ordered it. I started feeling guilty about how many cases of bottled water we go through each month (not to mention the cost of same), and when I saw this product advertised on TV, I looked for it here on Amazon and ordered it, an extra filter, and two extra water bottles. What I like best about it is the fact you fill four bottles at one time, but you can also fill just one or two (water does not come out the extra spouts if there is no water bottle in place). I also like the fact it has a fold-out spout on the side, which I use to get filtered water for my coffee pot and tea pot. Despite washing, the plastic bottles did have a bit of a "plastic taste" to them for the first few uses even after washing, but that lessened after just a few uses. I've filled six bottles a day for about 10 days, and the monitor that tells you when you need a new filter has barely moved, so I expect it to last three to four months at this rate.

I'm not putting plastic bottles out into the environment now, and I'm saving money by not buying the cases of bottled water. It's all good!

3M Filtrete Water Station