Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 14, 2013
Nintendo's 3DS handheld has quickly become one of my all-time favorite gaming devices. We're only two and a half years into the console's lifespan, and we've already been treated to several masterpieces so good, they can easily compete with and defeat many home console releases in terms of quality and overall excellence. It has also been a hugely successful venture for Nintendo, but some people have still held off from buying one. Why? Maybe it's the price that has kept people away. Perhaps parents are afraid their children will break the hinges of the 3DS. Admittedly, one of the coolest features of the system, the 3-D effect, isn't for everyone, either due to preference or age. Well, whatever the case, Nintendo has come out with the 2DS to try and appeal to those people. Let's get one thing straight right off the bat: everything about the 2DS has the same high-quality and attention to detail that is to be expected of Nintendo products, but in my opinion, the 2DS pales in comparison to the 3DS XL in almost every way. You should only consider getting a 2DS in specific circumstances. I'll warn you right now, in order to be as informative as reasonably possible, this may be a long review. If you don't like long, detailed reviews, give this one a pass. You've been given fair warning.

Build Quality and Design: The 2DS' design is quite bold, to say the least. Abandoning the classical clamshell design that has been around for nearly a decade since the original DS (or even the Game Boy Advance SP, if you want to go way back, :P) was introduced is pretty gutsy. Here, we get more of a solid slate chuck design. It's a little shorter than the original 3DS folded out, and actually weighs a little less than the 3DS. On the one hand, this design makes the handheld really tough and a lot harder to break, which is great for kids. On the other hand, this design makes the system a lot clunkier to carry around, and really lessens its portability. Not being able to fold the system makes it much more of a dust magnet, and little incidental scratches on the screen over time are more of a likelihood. All that means is you have to be a bit more careful with where you store it and how you handle it. You can also buy really high-quality screen covers for dirt cheap that will protect the screens, so that isn't much of a problem. Instead of folding the system, there's a slider button on the bottom of the system to engage sleep mode. All buttons have a nice click to them, but are lacking any colorized highlights to label the buttons. Instead, it's just indentations showing which button is which, which gives the system a much cheaper feeling than the other 3DS models. The d-pad itself has a shape similar to the 3DS XL's, but is much, much spongier and the clicky nature has been lessened in comparison to the other 3DS model d-pads. Personally, I actually like it more, but whether others will find it to be a negative or positive change is really up to personal preference. Button placement is different as well. Instead of the buttons, d-pad, or circle pad being to the sides of the lower screen, they're much more central and playing the system feels like holding the Wii U's gamepad, which is surprisingly comfortable. The shoulder buttons also help with comfort as they are much bigger than the other 3DS models and wrap very nicely around the top rounded corners of the 2DS. They also have a nice concave groove to them, making holding the system superbly comfortable. My hands used to cramp up a lot with both the 3DS and the 3DSXL and I was forced to buy grips for both systems to be able to play for extended periods or else suffer from crippling pain in my hands, but not so with the 2DS. This is an incredibly comfortable system to hold, regardless of hand size, right out of the box. Overall, the build quality of the 2DS is excellent, despite the jarring nature of its design.

Sound: Unfortunately, one of the worst aspects of the hardware is the sound design. There's only one mono speaker on the left of the system and while the sound from it is just as loud as the other models, it's simply not detailed or distinct enough to match the other 3DS models (and their speakers aren't that amazing by themselves either, but their stereo set-up is much better than the 2DS single speaker by comparison). Trust me, you'll want to get a pair of stereo headphones to use with the system. Personally, most of the time I don't even play my 3DSXL without plugging in a nice headset or a decent set of speakers, so this isn't that big of deal to me. 3DS games are just much more enjoyable with headphones/earphones/earbuds/whatever regardless of which 3DS system you have, at least in my opinion. Still, some will probably be bothered by the mono speaker in the 2DS, so I must mention it. It sounds great with headphones though!

Screens: The screens on the 2DS are the same size as the original 3DS. Despite what I said a little earlier about the screens always being exposed being a small cause for concern, the 2DS' screens seem to be made of a tougher material than the original 3DS screens, which makes them more resistant to scratches by nature. They're also set into the system deeper, making it harder to brush the surface accidentally. The actual quality of the screens are very nice. Colors are vibrant and bright. The sharpness is very crisp and detailed. One of my biggest complaints about the 3DS is that when the 3D is all the way up, there can be really annoying "ghosting" of images in areas where brightness contrast is high. You don't have to worry about that at all on the 2DS, and that is a big positive in its favor. Overall, fantastic screen quality.

Battery Life: The 3D effect can be a major drain on the batteries of the 3DS(XL). Since it's gone here, battery life has been dramatically improved by default. This is a big boon in the 2DS' favor. Now, batteries last at least 7-9 hours per charge, as opposed to the 3DS' 3-5 or the 3DSXL's 4-6 (keep in mind, that's with the 3D all the way up). That's really nice and makes the system less of a hassle on trips. Granted, without 3-D on, the 3DS and XL do last longer, and all 3DS/2DS models last longer when you turn off power draining features like wifi or lower the brightness setting. That been said, I stand by my statement that the 2DS has great battery life by default, about as good as the 3DSXL with its 3-D turned off.

Backwards Compatibility: This is a bit of a mixed bag. While the colors and vibrancy are very nice, the screen size and pixel resolution leave a little bit to be desired. Playing in native resolution makes the screens so small you can't see very much and the bottom screen becomes super cramped. If you don't opt to use the native DS resolution, then you have to deal with the games taking up the whole screen as normal, but with a little bit of blurriness. Is it that big of a problem? Not really, no. Only the biggest sticklers will even notice any blur, let alone be bothered by it, and most will easily be able to enjoy any DS game on their 2DS.

Lack of 3-D and Price Reduction: What is the 3DS without its most distinguishing third-dimensional feature? The 2DS. Is that a problem? For me, it would be because I love the 3-D effect personally. For those who don't like the 3-D, or for the kiddies, it's perfect. The 3DS' stereoscopic effect is not supposed to be used by kids younger than seven or eight. Until now, those young'uns could only play their games with the 3D slider off, and parents had to pay full-price for a system which would have one of its most prominent features unused. What a waste. Now you can spend much less and get pretty much every other good aspect of the 3DS system, including its most important feature: an excellent library of games. This is an idea I can get behind. Aside from the 3-D effect, the 2DS has virtually every other feature the 3DS has. All software aspects, such as wifi connectivity, access to the eshop, and all on-system programs, are here. The 2DS also comes with a nice-sized SD card so you can download a good number of eshop games. At a cool $129.99 (and don't ever pay more than that for this system), all of this is an absolute steal of a deal.

I have to admit, when I first glimpsed the announcement for the 2DS, I was incredulous. What was this clunky monstrosity before me? A 2DS?! Why remove the very thing that defines the 3DS? What's with that slate design? Has Nintendo lost their mind?! As time has gone by, however, I've warmed up to the idea, and got one for certain occasions where I wouldn't be able to bring my 3DSXL. It has worked out well so far. Let me be clear, the 2DS is certainly not for everyone. If you have the funds, then I would invest it on the 3DSXL over the 2DS any day of the week. Ultimately, the 3DS XL is still the best version of Nintendo's current handheld brand. However, if you're the parent of a child who isn't old enough to use the 3DS' stereoscopic visual effect, a monetarily challenged gamer who wants to enjoy the incredible 3DS library, or someone who'd like a cheaper secondary 3DS-type system, then the 2DS is certainly a worthy investment. If you fall into anything resembling those categories, then I heartily recommend the 2DS. I hope you found my review helpful. Thanks for reading. Toodles
4545 comments| 310 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2013
I'm a huge fan of the original Nintendo DS and was a bit put out when they released the 3DS and 3DS XL. Frankly, I am not a fan of 3D- whether in video games or movies- and think it's really unnecessary. As time went on after the 3DS release, I began seeing more and more games I wanted to play that were not compatible w/ my DS. Imagine my delight when Nintendo announced the 2DS at a cheaper price!

I received the 2DS on Saturday along with two 3D games and am very, very happy with the device. It is small and features the same dual screens as prior DS versions, but does not fold shut- a change I had no problem adjusting to. The size and shape reminds me more of Gameboy or Game Gear, which I played a lot in my youth, so there's actually a nice nostalgia when playing. I've read a few other reviews that mention the sound quality as poor, but I haven't noticed this at all. For the price, the 2DS is a great choice if you're not invested in 3D gaming but still want to play the variety of 3DS games Nintendo has to offer.
66 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 15, 2013
For those who have followed Nintendo Handhelds, the very idea that they'd release so many different versions of one handheld is nothing new. The original Gameboy eventually had the Gameboy Pocket and then Gameboy Color. The Gameboy Advance had the SP and the Micro. The DS had the original release, the lite, the DSi and the DSi XL. The 3DS already has the original and the XL. It seemed strange that so soon after the launch of the 3DS XL we'd find ourselves with another DS release. This is the 2DS. On the outside it doesn't seem like much, but once you get it in your hand it's actually pretty solid.

As a note before beginning: The following review assumes you are quite familiar with the 3DS already. In reading this I am assuming you are familiar with the 3DS interface and features. They will not be detailed here. Just know that they all work exactly the same here.

There are only two major differences between a 2DS and 3DS. The first is that there is no stereoscopic 3D. This means those hoping to play their games in stereoscopic 3D won't be able to do it. For someone like me who insists on playing his original 3DS with the 3D slider turned off anyway, this is no problem. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. The second major difference is that the screen doesn't close like other DS models. Other DS models had a clamshell design that allowed you to fold the screen down. Both screen are visible at all times. If you plan on getting this for a child I would strongly suggest buying screen protectors.

Aside from those two things, the 2DS pretty much does everything your 3DS does. All the channels are still there. You can still access the Nintendo eShop. There's nothing really "stripped" away here. There is still a place for your SD card on the side. All games are inserted into a slot that's on the top of the 3DS. The camera still works just fine. The interface is still fine. The stylus is located in a slot on the back about halfway down the right hand side. Anything you could do on your other 3DS systems you can do here. It also retains being able to play your original DS games, although it doesn't look like there's a chance of it playing GBA games for those who are wondering.

For those curious about the size of the 2DS, it's relatively small. The screen sizes are that of the original 3DS and not of the XL. So you won't have to worry that it's "too big" for the little ones. Although the DS itself might be a tad small if you've got big hands. Other differences include the fact that the L and R buttons are a lot bigger and easier to press. The button placement itself actually works. The face buttons (A, B, X, and Y) and circle pad are located next to the top screen while the directional pad is located closer to the bottom screen. The start and select button are also located near the bottom screen off to the side just below the face buttons. They're all very easy to get to and because it's not too big it's perfect placement. Also, and I must say this is especially nice, there is a switch that allows you to put the 2DS into sleep mode. Since you can't fold the top screen down they built in this little switch to compensate for that. Just a flick and your 2DS goes to sleep. A flick back and it wakes up. Perfect if you need to put it away for any reason.

There are only a couple of gripes with the 2DS. None of them large. The first is that I think I'd have preferred a clam shell design. The 2DS is quite a remarkable device. Yet a fold down top screen would've still been nice to have. That way you could easily stick it in your pocket and not have to worry too much about scratches on the screen. Both screens could've been protected this way. This is pretty minor, but something that would've been nice, nonetheless. The other thing is that if you are getting this to replace a 3DS or 3DSXL some accessories don't work. Those who got a Circle Pad Pro, for instance, won't be able to use it here, for instance. I'm sure there will be brand new accessories to go with it, but at this point it feels odd that Nintendo isn't simply making a model with a second circle pad always there. Likewise, if you're actually getting this to replace your 3DS, Nintendo has made it very tedious to transfer your data. As you must perform a system transfer. So if, for any reason you plan on trading in your old 3DS for a 2DS for any reason, keep in mind that you need to do a system transfer before handing it off. You can't simply pull out your SD Card and put it in another system.

This, of course, brings about the question always asked when a new model of a system comes out. Is it worth it? The answer varies from console to console. But here I'll say simply that the 2DS is definitely a cheap alternative to the 3DS if you don't have one. The price isn't bad. This is especially nice if you have a young child. If you've already got a 3DS there's no particular reason to get a 2DS. It does all the same things. The only reason to really replace a 3DS with this one is if you really like the design (or if you're looking for a cheap alternative should your need to be replaced). Nevertheless it's not bad by any means. As a cheap alternative it's perfect.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 2, 2013
Great System. About a year ago I was running low on cash and had to get rid of my 3ds!!! I have missed it for a while.. I rarely used the 3D mode on it so when I saw Nintendo was coming out with a 2D only version of the system I was very excited!!

The cost, hands down is great! I picked up the system online for MSRP and then purchased the case at a local retail store for 12 bucks. Much cheaper than a 3ds!

Build quality is great. I was a little worried about the design when I first saw it, however, the system was smaller than I thought. It feels very good in hand. The buttons seem to be very high quality and the "D" pad seems much better than past DS system "D" pads.. I love how Nintendo has done away with the "Shiny" finish. it always showed scratches and fingerprints so the new 2DS doesn't.

Screen and graphics seem to be the same as the 3ds, just without the 3d.

Battery life is great! It seems to be lasting longer than my 3ds ever lasted.

Overall I would recommend this system to anyone who wants a 3ds, doesn't use the 3d, and wants to save at least enough money to pick up a cheap game with it..
on November 27, 2013
This Nintendo 2DS really hits all the right notes. It feels great to hold and all the controls are well placed. I've had all the handhelds over the years from the Gameboy, GBC, Gameboy Advance, DS etc. Nintendo does handhelds very well and after taking a reprieve from Gameboys in favor of tablets and other touchscreen devices for gaming, in my opinion gameplay is infinitely better on a Gameboy. The 2DS allows me to comfortably play all the classic titles downloadable from the Nintendo e-store as well as Nintendo only titles like Mario, Luigi, Wario, Metroid, Zelda etc. The lack of 3D is no dealbreaker. The single speaker is plenty loud. The utilitarian plastic casing and wedge shape feels kinda retro and again feels nice in the hand. The price is great at $130 (unfortunately not on Amazon).
Note: I am an adult and feel that the marketing of this device to children is partly correct but also appeals to adults who want to relive past Nintendo goodness or discover a new DS or 3DS title for a small investment. Game on & enjoy!
on April 19, 2015
The Nintendo 2DS is the cheaper little sibling of the 3DS, Nintendo’s current handheld gaming system. I’ve owned my 2DS for well over a year now, and I still love it.

I bought the 2DS so that I could play the latest Pokémon game, X and Y, with a college friend. I’d enjoyed my Gameboy Advance SP and Nintendo DS Lite in the past, and felt confident investing in Nintendo’s products. While I wouldn’t say I’m too picky, I do want a sturdy system with decent battery life, a bright screen, and that’s easy to hold for an extended period of time. Plus I want to feel like I’m not wasting my money.

The 2DS does not come with 3D capabilities. While at first I thought this was a bit of a loss, I tested a friend’s system and decided that I would most likely be turning the 3D off when playing most of my games. Any kind of 3D makes my eyes hurt a little bit. Since I wouldn’t be using the 3D capability of the 3DS, trading the 3D for a savings of 70 dollars seemed great. I paid 130 dollars for the 2DS, which isn’t small change, but it felt like a steal when I looked at all the games I could play on it. When you include the compatibility with original DS games, as well as Nintendo’s impressive E-shop offerings, I suspect that almost anyone could find something to enjoy.

That 70 dollar savings also comes at the cost of some design differences. The 2DS is a solid slate, lacking the hinges that allow the 3DS (and the other systems I own) to fold up like a clam. The buttons are raised, and I was worried about them getting busted up. Since I wanted a sturdy system, I was initially worried about the slate shape. But the 2DS feels extremely solid. The plastic doesn’t bend under my hands. It creaks a little, but not to the point that I would worry about it. The buttons don’t feel like they’re going to pop out either. The 2DS would probably survive by itself in a bag, but I’m paranoid so I bought a lightly padded cloth case for it. I still make sure to put it at the top of my backpack, because I wouldn’t trust too many things that got wedged underneath my textbooks to survive.

And because it fails to fold, it is a little too chunky to store away in a regular pocket. So far I’ve only found success with a few of my coats that feature wide and deep pockets, and the leg pocket of my cargo pants. But since I usually carry my backpack with me, that’s not a problem.

The slate design raises another issue--how does it feel to hold it for extended periods of time? I have medium sized hands, and my thumbs could easily rest on the control stick and button pad while my forefingers were on the shoulder buttons. I felt like I had the best grip on the system when my palms were pressed up against the sides and bottom corners, which unfortunately would cause some cramping after a while, particularly in my thumb.

I couldn’t say that I noticed the cramping during my Pokémon game sessions, but it became very apparent while I was hunting monsters in MH4U. Granted, I did spend about 60 hours in the game over the course of 2 or 3 weeks, so I was on the 2DS a lot, and gave my hands few breaks. I have fairly weak tendons as well, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

I did suspect that if I held the system with the pads of my fingers instead of with my palms I would have had less cramping, but there was no way for me to support the bottom of the system and I was worried about it slipping out and away.

But beyond that slight complaint, the other features are great. The 2DS boasts a battery that can last a couple of hours. When it’s low an ominous orange light will turn on, and it lasts for a pretty long time after it warns you, which would give me enough time to locate an outlet.

The screen brightness is adjustable, with 5 levels to choose from. Level 3 was usually enough for me if I was indoors, and I rarely would try to play out in the sun, but Level 5 is surprisingly bright. Note that the battery will of course drain faster the higher the brightness setting.

I highly recommend the 2DS, it’s a great system well worth 130 dollars, and it’s usually on sale for an even better price. It great particularly for kids, who are not supposed to be using the 3D anyway, and the slate design means it can’t be snapped it half nearly as easily. Also, with some mindfulness about how you’re holding the system and taking proper breaks, as well as some prior planning in terms of storage, my only real complaints about the system are completely avoidable.
review image
on January 8, 2014
Pros:
Quality gaming engine is able to improve noticeably over DS games
High-quality upper screen
An ever increasing and high quality game library
Backwards compatible with DS games

Cons:
No second analog stick
Region locked
Portability a bit limited without the clamshell lid

The 3DS was released two years ago and is only just recently reaching its potential. I've had mine for a year at this point and I can definitely say that I've noticed the number of people I encountered through StreetPass skyrocket in the past few months. I used to be able to walk down the street without picking up anyone at all. In fact, I went through the London Underground in rush hour and only had five hits. But now I walk down through my fairly small town and I pick up ten new people every time. It's made it almost tooo easy.

The reason for this surge in popularity is obvious. The 3DS was marred by a rather dismal set of release games that was dominated by ports from the N64 and PS2, such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time,Star Fox 64, and Tales of the Abyss. It was the same way for the first year and a half as everyone tried to figure out what to do with it, with the strange 3D features and motion controls putting some developers off. Fortunately, the system got over that and now has its own unique games like Fire Emblem: Awakening,A Link Between Worlds, and Pokémon X.

As to the 2DS in general, the system is basically the same as the DS with improved graphics. Why improve on perfection I suppose? That machine was a near-perfect gaming platform with many classic games. The graphics however, were often quite blocky and sometimes ugly. The 3DS improves on that although most games keep the unrealistic style of DS games. They just do it better, with cartoony graphics that actually look like cartoons. Some of the visuals on the 2DS can be pretty amazing, but there are few games that show them off to the full. I think that the graphics level is somewhere around that of the PS2, as can be seen in a number of direct PS2 ports. This is good enough for a handheld system and means we can finally get rid of the blocky little shrunken men that dominated DS games. It's not as good as the Vita, but since 3DS games are rarely about superior graphics that doesn't matter. Most of the best 3DS games would have worked just fine on the DS, they simply look nicer with better graphics. And that sums up Nintendo's strategy to a T: If it ain't broke don't fix it. And since the 3DS can do DS games better than the DS as well as play higher end games (Ace Combat looked pretty good on its screen) this system offers a lot more chance for expansion while allowing Nintendo to take few risks.

One aspect of the hardware that gets people a bit upset is the battery life. The 2DS can't really play a 3DS game for longer than 3-4 hours, putting it well below the operating time of the original DS and even the Vita. However, that's only for 3DS games. The system can run on battery for eight or more hours when playing DS games, which isn't really any worse than the DS itself. The reduced battery life is just the tradeoff you get for superior graphics. There is no way around it. The one battery-related thing that does bother me though is that the sleep mode isn't very good at conserving energy. If you leave the 2DS sleeping for two days without a charge it will run out of battery. I assume this is related to Streetpass and could be resolved by simply turning the wifi off so I'm giving it a break on that score.

The 3DS comes with with a number of programs preinstalled including System Settings, the eShop, Activity Log, Nintendo Zone, 3D Camera, and Mii Maker. These programs are fairly self-explanitory and cannot be deleted as they are essential to the functioning of the system. I'm not particularly happy with the eStore. It seems rather clunky to use, and crashes frequently. It's nice that it can background download, but it makes everything up to that point far too difficult. The 2DS can play downloaded games rather than using cartridges, and the fact that it uses standard memory cards means that this isn't that difficult or expensive to do. A major plus over the Vita and its Vita-exclusive memory cards.

Also preinstalled are Face Raiders and Augmented Reality. These are both short games designed to be used with the 3DS's camera. They add digitally created figures to what appears behind your 2DS and allow you to, for example, shoot men with your face on them who fly about your room in little balls. It's pretty cool, and a real shame that no games have been made to take advantage of these features since. The other game on there is StreetPass. This is a collection of two games (though they can be upped to six if you pay for them) that depend on you collecting other players' characters via wifi. As you pass another 3DS in the street you will automatically sync with it and their character will show up on your Mii Plaza from which you can play games. I don't know of any other system that has social gaming features that make you feel as involved as this. I understand that Japan has something similar with cell phone games and I believe there was something like it for the PSP, but over here the only competition is Vita's Near, and StreetPass leaves Near in the dust. There's just no benefit to using Near whereas with StreetPass you get to play games with people you run into, even if they're not involved any more than that. Rewards include hats and uniforms for your Mii character.

A major problem with the 2DS when compared to its predecessor is that games are now region-locked. European games cannot be played on American systems, nor can Japanese games. This is a real problem for me as I have a European 3DS. So at the moment I can't play games like Shin Megami Tensei IV, though I suspect that they'll release it in Europe eventually. Fortunately, the DS cartridges are still region-free and can be played in any system.

The 3DS comes in three versions: the base model 3DS, the 3DS-XL, and the 2DS (this one). Now, the 3DS is fine as a system, but its screen is just as tiny as the DS's. The 3DS-XL however has a screen that's almost twice as big while still fitting comfortably in your hand or your pocket. It also has a longer battery life, giving you perhaps an extra hour's usage. Even if you only want to use it to play DS games it's worth the upgrade. It is of course, the most expensive of the three options. The 3DS is somewhat cheaper and fits in pockets easier, but I personally don't like how boxy it is. The 3DS-XL is all smooth lines and is only slightly bigger when you consider the increased size of the screen. But if small size really is important for you I'd go with the 3DS. The 2DS is really only for people who don't expect to carry it around in their pockets. The one-piece construction makes it stronger, but it does mean that it is less protected and you need a jacket or sweater to carry it in. The fact that it doesn't have 3D isn't much of a loss, but the low price can be a real gain. I have friends who swear by the 2DS, and I can see its advantages, but if you expect to bring it everywhere I'd go for one of the other two options. Given the option I'd go for the 3DS-XL, but there are advantages to all three models.

To sum up: the 2DS is an excellent gaming system that improves on what didn't work on the DS while keeping all of the features that worked. The lack of a clamshell lid is a bit of a nuisance, but the system itself is sturdy and not as easy to damage as might be thought. Anyone wanting a portable gaming system has no reason not to turn to the 2DS. I was never a fan of portable games since I came to them back in the days of Gameboy and Game Gear when 2D sprites were the way to go and difficulty settings often unforgiving. But the 3DS has made a convert out of me and consumes far too much of my free time. Definitely recommended.
on February 11, 2014
This is an excellent option for those who want to upgrade but don't care to go XL and don't care about the 3d screen - such as RPG players, simulation etc. and especially those on a budget. My 3ds passed its warranty and I spilled on it, and I couldn't quite afford a new one, but pulled some strings to afford a 2ds.

The controls are somewhat staggered differently than the 3ds or Dsi or DS lite in terms of where the crosspad is in relativity to the ABXY buttons, so it takes a little bit of adjustment, but it is a fairly easy transfer.

Good for kids and adults alike. Again, offers everything the 3ds does, same processor, plays all 3ds games, netflix and youtube apps compatible,

This could have been a failure, but Nintendo did the right thing by making it a virtual copy of the 3ds without the slider, this way budget consumers could afford the newest console instead of resorting to the DSi or DS lite whose games are now numbered, although the Nintendo Online Club still creates new downloads available for the DSi but they are pretty sub standard "bloop" games thrown together by small game companies using development software not much better than visual basic.

If you've never owned a DS and are on a budget, get the 2ds, you have ten times the options than with a DSi or lite.
on November 8, 2014
I sold my 3DS XL a while ago, I needed the money at the time. Now I wanted to play the new Super Smash Brothers 3DS. So I decided to wait to buy a 2DS to find a deal. I did, Walmart had the 2DS on their website for only $80. So my review might be a little bias because I got the system a full $35-$40 cheaper than on Amazon, etc.

Right away I notice that the material used on the back is of a cheaper quality. Yet still the 2DS feels very, very sturdy in the hands, and at the same time is constructed very well. I really like the shad of blue they went with for this system as well. The controls are well placed and of good construction to. It doesn't feel like a "cheaper" alternative to the 3DS. As probably some others reviewers have mentioned, it does not fold obviously. This is not really an issue for me, I carry a messenger bag everywhere I go, and it fits quite snugly.

By looking at the picture you would think the 2DS feels very bulky and heavy in comparison to the 3DS. This is quite the opposite, it feels fairly light and again very sturdy. Inserting a game is very easy and it comes with a nice 4gb SD card for game storage, etc.

The buttons are all responsive and don't feel cheap. The sleep button is at the bottom and along with the volume button on the side is not easily switched, which is a very good thing. The screen overall is pretty much the same as a 3DS screen, minus the 3D. The screen has the same exact DPI as the 3DS, meaning its the same basic resolution, but no 3D.

Overall the 2DS is a fantastic game system. The design does remind me of older systems, so I get a nostalgia factor from it.

I'm playing Super Smash Brothers 3DS on this and it looks fantastic and plays fantastic. The volume is good and loud and the brightness is very generous.
on February 25, 2014
Despite the design, which is the first thing absolutely everyone picks on, it works just fine for me. I previously owned a 3DS (it broke), and the 2DS functions the exact same.
I have rather small hands, yet the system is very comfortable to hold, and I play it often. Like, all day, every day.
I personally bought it used ("like new"), but it didn't make a difference seeing as it functioned just as it would have if it were brand new. I got to customize everything myself.
I've had this for nearly 2 months, and it's still one of the best things I've ever done with Christmas money.
I'd highly recommend it to anyone else who finds the 3DS feature useless and wants to save some cash.