Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

Showing 1-10 of 460 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
2,960 of 3,247 people found the following review helpful
on December 14, 2010
I enjoyed the book. I'm not going to claim that the book is perfect or earth-shattering or anything like that. I did find it entertaining to read all the stuff Tim Ferriss put himself through. I've also benefited from some of his recommendations (though not all). Here's what's in the book so you can make your own decision. I've read all 571 pages and tried most of the strategies (I had my copy for a while because I got my hands on an advanced copy).

Ferriss spent more than a decade researching, monitoring, and noting the progress of his own mind and body. He served as his own laboratory genea pig and also played the role of a doctor, physical therapist, and coach to prepare for this book. Like a school boy, Ferris teaches you how to get your classwork done fast so you can go out and play. He asks you to be skeptical of the book and try only that which you think will help you.

Here's what's in it:

Chapter 1: Fundamentals--First And Foremost

* Ferriss describes the "Mininum Effective Dose" (doing the bare minimum to gain the most desired outcome).

Chapter 2: Ground Zero--Getting Started and Swaraj

* Uses Mahatma Gandhi reference to make the case that only we can govern our body and destiny by what we purposely choose to do.

Chapter 3: Subtracting Fat

Five rules for cutting body fat:
1. Avoid "white" carbohydrates
2. Eat the same few meals over and over again
3. Don't drink calories
4. Don't eat fruit
5. Take one day off per week

* The Lost Art of Bingeing: Specific steps to minimize fat gain while splurging

Chapter 4: Adding Muscle

* Building the Perfect Posterior
* Ferriss turns the table for readers who wish to gain weight by offering strategies on how to gain 34 pounds in 28 days with exercises like the Occam's Protocoli, the Bike-Shed Effect, and GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day).

Chapter 5: Improving Sex

* Ferriss tells a story about a promise he made to a female yoga instructor who have never experienced an orgasm in her life that he "would fix her inability to orgasm"
* the women has to bring herself "there."
* men need to change the angle and pressure during penetration.

* The 15-min Female Orgasm
1. Explain to partner that you will touch her
2. Get into position
3. Find the Upper-Quadrant Point of the Clitoris, and Stroke Lightly--for 15 minutes.

Chapter 6: Perfecting Sleep

How to Fall Asleep Faster:
* Focus on getting to sleep
* 67ºF to 70ºF is the best room temperature to fall asleep
* Eat a large fat-and protein-dominated meal 3 hours before bedtime
* Use low light in the bedroom
* Take a cold bath an hour before bed
* Use a humidifier to generate cool mist
* Try to sleep in the half-military crawl position

How to Sleep Less and Feel Great
* Learn how to manipulate the sleep cycle to stay in REM sleep longer
* Take frequent 20-min naps throughout the day

Chapter 7: Reversing Injuries

* The $10,000 Fix: Ferriss cured his "permanent" injuries by receiving a concoction of chemicals (i.e. Platelet-rich plasma, Stem cell factor, Bone morphogenic proteint-7, Insulin-like growth factor 1) via injection.

The Cheaper Fix in Stages:
* Stage 1: Movement
* Stage 2: Manipulaiton
* Stage 3: Medication
* Stage 4: Surgery

Chapter 8: Running Faster and Farther

* Jumping Higher: Joe DeFranco, a renowned trainer of the NFL Scouting Combine, worked with Ferriss on his shoulder drive, arm position before the jump, squat stance and hip flexors that allowed Ferriss to jump vertically three inches higher in 48 hours.
* Running Faster: Joe DeFranco also coached Ferriss on how to run the 40-yard dash faster by correcting Ferriss's line-and-arm position at the start line. Ferriss was advised to keep his head down, his knee head of his toes, chin tucked and upper body head of lower body, and to take few steps. Ferriss improved his 40-yard dash by .33 seconds in 48 hours.
* Running Further: Ferriss trains by running 400-meter repeatedly (over and over again) while monitoring quantity of repeats, maximum effort percentage, and rest time. Ken Mierke, a world-champion triathlete helped Ferriss with his stride rate, lean position, and arm movement. With preparation, biomechanics, and training, Ferriss was able to increase his running distance of 5K to 50K in 12 weeks.

Chapter 9: Getting Stronger
The gems in this chapter to become stronger as experimented by Ferriss include:
* Dynamic stretching
* Bench press, push-ups, deadlift to knees
* Static Stretching
* Keep "time under tension" while lifting under 10 seconds to avoid muscle burn.
* "Lift heavy but not hard"
* Keep training times (day or night) consistent.

Chapter 10: From Swimming to Swinging
* Ferriss learned how to swim effortlessly within 10 days
* How to swing a bat like Babe Ruth
* How to hold breath longer Houdini, and David Blaine

Chapter 11: On Longer and Better Life
* Take 5-10 grams of Creatine Monohydrate per day
* Fasting and Protein Cycling
* Donate blood

My biggest criticism is the book didn't do enough with the mind part. For that, you might want to read Emotional Intelligence 2.0. That book did a great deal for my mind.
105105 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2010
Tim Ferriss is a master marketer. He has pushed this book up to #1 on the NYT best seller list. He could well be the Ron Popeil of the Internet age.

But wait! There's more! In the marketing of this book, Ferriss uses hype and hyperbole. In many cases, within the book, he uses hype and hyperbole. Without hype and hyperbole, not a whole lot of people buy self-help books.

But wait! There's more! The basic diet and nutrition stuff has been around for a while. The basic strength information has been around for a while. The basic fitness and athletic performance has been around for a while. And I'm not sure that the female anatomy is anything really new.

But wait! There's more! Tim Ferriss has taken this information, packaged it with a lot of personal anecdotes, and presented it in an enthusiastic and entertaining manner. The result:

* Some people who wouldn't touch a South Beach or Atkins book are going to try restricted carbohydrate diets. They will lose weight.
* Some people whose entire idea of exercise is 16-ounce lifts after work, are going to be swinging kettlebells. They will become more fit.
* Some folks, both male and female, who would never buy a "sex" book, will read a few chapters while no one else is around, and will try some new things, and may enjoy them.

Tim Ferriss' primary message in his first book (The 4-Hour Workweek) is that if you don't like your work environment, and how you spend most of your time, get off your backside and change it. Here are ways you can do that. The message of this book is if you don't like your physical well being, get off your backside and change it. And here are ways you can do this. Many are well-known, but a some are not, at least to the general public. There is nothing particularly magical about losing weight, being fit, or running a marathon. All it takes is the will to make the change. While the hype may offend diet and fitness purists, (I assume sex experts are non-offendable) they aren't the target audience.

The end result, is that a certain number of this book's readers are going to have measurably happier lives. A far larger number of readers will find it interesting (or not interesting) to varying degrees, and not do a doggone thing. I may, (or more likely may not) run a marathon some day. And Tim Ferriss will make another pile of money popularizing health and fitness in an unconventional way. It's hard to find a whole lot wrong with any of that.

A PS to the original review: There are a lot of objections out there based upon the laws of thermodynamics. Calories in vs calories out, and so forth. This is true as far as it goes. If you increase your metabolism, you burn more calories. A lot of Tim's advice falls into the metabolism-boosting regime. The other is that calories excreted, in #1 or #2 fashion, aren't an active part of your weight-calorie balance. If the "excess" calories bother you, that's where they go.

The cheat day, (binge) regimen as part of your diet to maintain insulin levels has been around for a long time. I had a trainer tell me about it some 10 years ago, and it wasn't new then.

I'm not necessarily a Ferriss fanboi. I think the book is overhyped, (anyone offended by that, I understand) and I certainly wouldn't do everything in it. And a lot of it was apparently previewed on his blog. But it is very interesting, and it has exposed me to a number of ideas that I wouldn't know of otherwise.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2011
I checked out "The 4-Hour Body" from the library, having done the same months ago with "The 4-Hour Workweek," so I knew to expect Ferriss's overcharged style. As a journalist myself, I've had hundreds of readers take issue with my articles, using comments like "why didn't you test with THIS?" or "how could you have possibly mixed up X with Y?" Such people seem so obsessive about displaying their superiority with minutiae that they completely miss the point of the story and fail to derive the help and knowledge I was trying to convey. I see that same sentiment riddled throughout these "4-Hour Body" comments. Come on, people, grow up. You want to argue about whether a female orgasm happens in the advertised 15 minutes versus 20? Or the fine points of glycemic conversion? Or how many angels can dance on the handle of a kettleball? The POINT is whether or not Ferriss sets you on the path to desired results. And for me, he did.

By happy coincidence, my months-long hold request for "The 4-Hour Body" came in right when a copy of Dr. Michael Eades's "The 6-Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle" also fell into my hands. The two authors came from very different directions and ended up saying much the same thing. I'm 40 years old, spawned from a gene pool that looks like a toxic vat of cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. When I read these books a month ago, I weighed 234 pounds (at 6' 0") and had blood work bad enough that my doctor wanted to prescribe statins.

I implemented the Ferriss diet plan on June 20th and deviated only slightly from it. For example, I got some plain, nonfat yogurt to mix with a few blueberries as a snack. Eades doesn't seem to object to dairy and low-sugar fruit in the same way that Ferriss does, so I went for a middle point between the two authors. Also siding with Eades, I went cold turkey on all caffeine and alcohol, figuring that if I was going to experience carb withdrawal (which I did for 2-3 days), why not throw caffeine on the fire, too? But the punchline is this: After 21 days on the plan, I had my blood drawn and analyzed. With effectively zero exercise, here is what happened:

1. Weight: 234 before, 221.5 after .. 12.5 lb. loss

2. Blood pressure: 132/83 before (averaged from many tests over weeks), 121/71 after [I have *never* had a reading this low in the past three years of measuring

3. Glucose: 93 before, 87 after

4. Total cholesterol: 192 before, 153 after

5. Triglycerides (the most important measurement to me): 228 high, 106 after

I had expected some improvement. I knew that statins (Lipitor, etc.) average a 15% drop in cholesterol and 20% drop in triglycerides (see [...]) after *many months* of use. But nothing had prepared me for the massive drop caused by this diet change -- a change that has me eating 3-4 whole eggs plus bacon plus other meats every day and heaping my plate with vegetables at every meal. The hunger that pervades calorie counting doesn't exist here.

Weight loss is fine, but THIS...this was a new lease on life. This meant that by turning my back on the mass-produced, over-marketed, sugar-and-carb extravaganza that comprises the modern American diet, I just might be free from the decades of torture I've seen my parents and grandparents endure.

I'll visit my doctor in a few days to get more details on my blood work, and I'm very curious to examine LDL and uric acid levels. (Some people caution that a high-protein diet can spike uric acid, which in turn can lead to gout.) But back to my original point, do I care if Ferriss is off on a few points? Heck, I don't care if he's off on 80% of his points. My job as an attentive reader is to identify the 20% of information that is most valuable and pertinent to my life and apply it for maximum benefit. As Ferriss advises, I did that here, then corroborated that 20% against outside reading from trusted authorities, and the results speak for themselves.

UPDATE: On December 14th, I crossed the line and hit my goal of losing 40 pounds. This was with weekly cheat days...OK, and maybe several extra cheat days thrown in along the way. Blood tests showed that my uric acid is slightly elevated, but otherwise everything looks very healthy. Since December, I've maintained at a 40-pound loss. I could probably stand to lose another 10 to 15 pounds, and I expect it will take a decrease in dairy and/or sucralose consumption as well as an increase in exercise to make this happen. Still, the modified Ferriss plan was sufficient to get me where I wanted to go on its own.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2011
If one thing is made clear in The 4-Hour Body, it's the value of self-assessment and self-experimentation. The reason this review is later than the 1200 before it is that I was actually doing some of that experimentation. The time has also enabled me to better digest the book than many of the other reviewers.

Tim Ferriss built a loyal audience with his previous book, The 4-Hour Workweek (thus the title of the new book, which really has nothing "4-hour" about it). Tim is by his own admission someone who loves "hacking" all aspects of his life--the ultimate geek. Add that to the fact that much of the Western world has become sedentary via the "new" economy, the appeal to America's tech workers is obvious.

In at least its first 300 pages--the ones most likely to be read and/or tried by the average reader--Ferriss sets up each chapter with a best-case scenario or minor celebrity using the "hack" in question, then outlines a very simple layout of the technique, followed by detail on everything necessary to get the best results. Later chapters devolve into simple tips to do very specific things slightly better, but let's face it, most who read this book want to lose weight, get muscles, have better sex or sleep well.

The 4-Hour Body's "money" chapter is "The Slow-Carb Diet." Mr. Ferriss' actual methodology for losing fat--meals consisting solely of protein, vegetables and legumes, with no other carb sources--is sound, because any restrictive diet change will initially help you to lose fat.

Make no mistake, this "diet" is very restrictive. Many of the negative comments here involve some variation on "who the eff eats pinto beans with breakfast?" Well, if you actually do this program, you will eventually be forced to learn to properly season food.

The "twist" that makes the Slow-Carb Diet unique is binge day, which is much like Fight Club: one day a week, you HAVE to eat to excess. The theory is that by this day-long cheat meal will keep your body's metabolism from slowing down the other six days. Many reviewers "reserve judgment" on this aspect of the diet. I actually tried it. More on that below.

Another talked-about section of the book is "The 15-Minute Female Orgasm," which includes a step-by-step process for theoretically giving a woman the orgasm of her life. While the specific stimulation technique may result in a big-time orgasm for her, I'd suggest that if she gets hooked on it, it won't be so much fun for you.

But it's highly technical, and has very detailed instructions--again, a big attraction for someone who has little idea of what feels good to a woman. I just can't help thinking this is a poor substitute for learning to use your tongue.

The crux of the book is "the minimum effective dose," which is another way of saying "the easiest way." There's a 15-minute lean-mass-building workout, a single-exercise posterior workout, and a super-simple strength-building workout. There are tips for boosting testosterone, sleeping better, learning to swim, and stretching those hips and back that have become stiff after a 14-hour workday hunched over the laptop.

Most of these "hacks" aren't new (although Mr. Ferriss readily admits standing on the shoulder of giants, so to speak), some are contentious (the bodybuilding community seems to have vast expertise with the one system that works for them), but this isn't for the bodybuilding community or someone happy with their Paleo diet. It's for the man or woman who is idly snacking while doing desk work or watching TV, wishes they could be thinner/stronger/better in bed but has failed at more detailed programs.

However, even when the setup is simple, there's an element of willpower to anything that will produce real positive change, and some (sometimes many) details necessary to turn that "minimum effective dose" into the "most effective dose."

The idea for this book came from Tim Ferriss' almost fanatical desire to self-experiment: he mentions it at the beginning of the book, and goes into great detail in 80 pages of small print in the appendices. He encourages every reader to do likewise.

And that should be the most important thing you get from this book. Humans are not exactly the same. Standing on one leg before bed like Tim does might not help you sleep better, but something else probably will. In order to succeed, you have to first try, then maybe fail, then try something else. That's life.

Not everyone has the time or willpower to document their daily activities. Mr. Ferriss understands that, and that's why he also offers quick tips and simple plans, and why the 4-Hour Body has become successful.

In the spirit of self-experimentation that Mr. Ferriss promotes, I devoted one month to sticking to the 2-page version of The Slow-Carb Diet. No supplements (aside from fish oil, which I take already) or "tricks" for cheat day. Following this program rigorously, I lost 7 pounds (from 172 to 165), and almost 5 of those 7 pounds were fat. (At 5'11", I'm not a huge man with that much fat to spare.)

As I mentioned earlier, any restrictive dietary change will cause fat loss, for at least the first 4-6 weeks of the diet. Usually I can decrease my fat while building muscle by following my own workout plan and ditching processed foods, so that wasn't the point. The real reason I tested this program was to see how restrictive, difficult and/or monotonous it would be.

Without cooking skills or imagination, this diet WILL be monotonous. Until you start learning to mix spices with the beans, they will become hard to eat at every meal. Breakfast was easy once I discovered I loved spinach omelets. The biggest day-to-day change was the meat source, which kept everything fresh, and I kept lots of salsa and sugar-free marinara on hand.

Hanging in for a month was fairly easy for me, and the binge days didn't seem to impede the weight loss (although I worry about this for someone who thinks nothing of eating an entire cake or bucket of KFC at a sitting). I debated carrying on for a second month, but I'm eager to start another chapter. I'll keep you updated.

If you geek out over "body hacks," The 4-Hour Body is for you. If you need structure and simplicity, you can find it here too as long as you don't read too far. If you're already following a successful weight-loss program or workout plan or have bought into the dogma of another guru or community, you're just going to get angry, so don't bother.

Approach The 4-Hour Body in the spirit of self-experimentation to get the most out of it. Remember, though, that there's no instant fix, no magic pill--drive and willpower are still required.
on November 12, 2012
As a physician and a scientist I read this book with a high level of skepticism. I looked up the references and found some of his conclusions to be acceptable but others as weak science. So I did decide to follow his diet. After 5 months I have lost 40 pounds. I have been using weight watchers and was stuck and had actually gained weight. So why did it work? Well a couple of his rules really makes sense. The most important is that all calories are not equal. For my body if I eat 100 calories of something with sugar my body turns it into fat. The concept of slow burn carbs appears to work for my body. The next most important point is that you have to just eat the same thing over and over again. Being a good cook I have been able to create a series of meals that I really enjoy and I loose weight on. Thus, I really do not ever feel hungry and I really enjoy what I am eating. This is not to say that I do not enjoy my once a week cheat day. I am such a type A person with an on/off switch. I have not cheated once in the past 5 months other than on my cheat day. Why? Because if I want to cheat on something I just put it on my list and eat as much as I want on my cheat day. I have yet to check my cholesterol etc, I plan to do it afar 6 months but my cholesterol etc has always been good. Finally, what about exercise. Well this is where I do not agree with the book. I work out hard and enjoy it. I usually do 4-5 days a week doing a variety of workouts including swimming, boxing, cross training and weight lifting. Again another point that is a key to this book is this is what works for my body and I just had to find the right formula of diet and exercise for me. The rest of the book about sleep and sex is highly suspect and I did not but skim it and laugh. This diet is not for everyone but it is something I can easily do for my life it just makes sense to my body. I hope you find these comments helpful and encourage everyone to find a lifestyle of healthy eating and exercise that works for you.
on December 18, 2010
I'm not one of tim's friends reviwing the book. One of my friends was excited about before it's release so he got me thinking enough about it that I actually got it. I did notice 100+ positive reviews within minutes of the book being released. But I was okay with doing my own research. I read as Tim suggested buffet style through the diet and excersise sections. The diet is basically Atkins with a cheat day. I'm not sure how long one can sustain a diet like that, I was looking for a permanent diet not a yo yo type. His weight training info is similar to others work on doing one set to failure, I've been working out long enough to know what works and doesn't. I was open to understanding his data but the problem is all his "subjects" are either obese or have never trained before. When you're really fat any change in diet and excersise will produce results. The same goes with if you never worked out, anyone who knows anything about working out knows that it's easiest to make big gains the first few months you ever start training. My thoughts are that just like his first book 4 hour work week this book presents false shortcuts that don't work long term. Although he does talk about the effect of cold on burning calories which was something I did not know. But then again mr. Hype also tells you that fruits and aerobic workouts are useless.

7/10/12 update:

Okay, I'll admit it, Tim's diet does work. IF you follow it and do not stray the results will show. I did it for 6 months and lost about 20 lbs (i was in decent shape before). That may not seem like a lot, but after the initial slow start and tweeking the diet I started burning off fat and weight and in the end I "settled" at about 175-180 I started at 195. The cheat day does help, it makes a big difference and helps you focus for the week. Although expect to have a food coma if you go crazy on that day. All in all I don't agree with Tim's self promotion and all the scam reviews that showed up within minutes, the guy does know what he's doing. So I wanted to update my review to show that.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2010
I'm a huge Tim Feriss fan, but from what I've read so far, I haven't quite seen the "hacking" we've come to know from him. The first few chapters haven't offered anything new thus far - it seems like bits of information repackaged in Tim's trademark writing style. And some of his (much older) blog posts with Q & A's added.

For those who are new to fitness, or looking to get started, I think this book is a great start. I admit, I haven't completed the book, and I intend to place a final rating after completing the book. I think if the hype hadn't been built so strongly so as to assert that brand new, left field underground science was about to reveal itself, I may have been more forgiving in this review.

Update #1: The 15 minute female orgasm

Since I already read a lot of fitness articles online, and I've gone through a close to 50 lb body weight change in the past year and a half (and maintained it), I figured I may be more immersed than the average reader, so I skipped ahead to the 15 minute female orgasm. I mean, getting a woman to climax for 15 minutes, that's crazy, right?

As it turns out, it is crazy. The title and hype were, again, misleading, as it was all about getting a woman to climax in 15 minute sessions of clitoral stimulation (there's more to it than this, this is just the final outcome). To be fair, the stories are great, and there is some interesting hacking of the system of bringing women who struggle to climax to do just that (moving from 0% to 100% is nothing short of spectacular), but this again is another chapter with great info from different sources brought together (and very well) with misleading hype. So far, I'm not let down by the quality of the info or writing, I'm disappointed by what I was expecting to receive.

I began skimming the testosterone chapters, those look promising, will update again when done.

Update #2: Upping Your Testosterone

Good read, nothing really deceptive here, though not sure how much I believe upping testosterone turns you into a pheromone emitting machine, and if so, if it's even ethical. Some food for thought, a few riveting stories - I can't comment on this chapter's efficacy until I try it out, so will give it a shot and comment later about how well it went.

Update #3: Injured my back a few months ago doing either deadlifts or squats (did both in the workout, wasn't sure which) and could not bend over to tie my laces without a great deal of pain. Read the chapter on dealing with injuries, checked in with an ART specialist, and within the first session I was mobile again, and a few months later, my back is fine and no problems, no surgery. I originally rated this book 3 stars, and I'm upping it now to four.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2010
It's no secret that the best of the Slow Carb diet information located within The 4-Hour Body is actually located on Tim's blog for free. So, if you are just interested in the diet plan, I would highly recommend that you take a look at it there. Just search for "lose 20 lbs of fat in 30 days" on Google, and it should be listed at the top. Since part of the 4 Hour Workweek lifestyle is to actually cut down on information overload, the blog is really all you need. But to get the information in a format that doesn't require a Google search every time, then I do recommend the purchase. Compared to other diet plans, the cost of the book is extremely cheap, even if you do get a lot of information that you might not need.

With that being said, I actually used the information from the blog to lose 47 pounds on this plan starting at the end of December 2009 up until the end of April 2010, so I know that it will work! I lost 20 pounds my first month, 15 the next, and then the rest over the next 6 weeks. I also suffered some pretty severe hypoglycemia episodes before the diet, but they have all but disappeared now (well except for when I splurged on desserts at Christmas). Because of the help I received from the blog, I gladly plunked down the money to purchase The 4-Hour Body because I feel that the positive change in my health is easily worth the $15 I spent on the book.

That being said, I do wish the orgasm sections weren't in this book. Those parts kept me from purchasing several more copies to give away as presents. I'm not a prude by any means, but I feel like some people (i.e. female employees, Mom, Dad) would take it the wrong way if I gave them a book with those sections.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. It can change your life if you follow the diet plans (it certainly changed mine). It might change your life if you follow the muscle building tactics. Tim says that everything in the book are experiments conducted on himself and others, but doesn't guarantee the same results for the reader. If you are stuck or limited in your own weight loss or exercise routines, give the book a shot, and see if it helps you out!
on November 19, 2012
I learned a lot of things from reading this book, but I bought it to lose weight. The low carb diet in the book works. I lost 21 pounds in 2 1/2 months and kept it off for 6 months. The only thing I think is the problem is when you don't have time to make meals or you wake up too early in the morning to eat 30 grams of protein with in a hour of waking up. After 6 months of doing this diet I got a new job that was very demanding and I found it difficult to maintain. If you don't have a crazy schedule and you have time to make meals this is a wonderful book. The science behind all the subject matter in this book was very interesting.
on March 14, 2011
I did extensive reading to see if this was just some guy BSing his way through the book, but turns out it wasn't. Of course,there's an enormous amount of text considering the meal plan is pretty straight forward and could be resumed in a paragraph or two.
I also haven't paid attention to the rest of the book, except for the Improve Sleeping section.
I didn't weight myself as I just don't care about weight but I do care about measures and about fitting into the rest of my clothes and dumping my fat suit and it went as follows.
I started on a 48.3 inch circumference of fat around my belly. Eating a protein, side of spinach and beans. As soon as I started I noticed how I didn't feel swollen anymore so I finished my first week to the letter. On my no diet day I ate and drank till I felt sick. On week two I started getting creative with my food and came up with some really interesting stuff (i.e. sandwiches with garlic rosted eggplant instead of bread, and so forth). I also couldn't keep away from wine, leaving beer aside for the duration of experiment. On my first 13 days, before I went on a binge I had lost 2 whole inches off my beerpot, no exercise whatsoever.
By week four I had to sew the waist of my pants as they kept falling. From then on I have derailed from the food plan and I'm not strict about it as I used to be. I will eat carbohydrates on some days but try to not go overboard with them, you know, just to get a taste.
By week five I didn't miss my carbs and still don't. I lost a total of 5 inches (I started on January 25th, 2011).
Last week I ate lost of pizza, pasta and other things I love (not a big fan of sweet, I guess that helps) since I was away from home. I back fearing I would have to undue the fixtures on my pants but turns out I fit into them nicely and even managed to lose more belly fat, since they are now loosening again. I also ingested magnesium and potassium per stated on the book but not religiously and drank lots of water. I also had some meals with that lovely cola drink we all know and wine.
According to Wii Fit I used to weight 224lbs, now I on 197lbs! I didn't suffer one bit. When I got hungry I just ate more. When I got fed up of the strict plan I would cook what I call Nacho-less Nachoes which is basically the topping, and sans-the-bread Pizza Salad and so forth. I did add some cheese from time to time for flavoring. I also found that some combination foods would just kill any hunger I would have for over 20 hours (frankfurters some BBQ sauce, huge olives and almonds, I'm eclectic, I know) to pay even further results.
Easy to do, cheaper than a digital download per meal, convenient and foolproof simple, I recommend this to anyone, pretty much. You might have some heartburn from time to time (until you tweak your food in to the right meal for you) but nothing a little pepto wouldn't take care of. I did no exercise what so ever during this time and I ate more without overstuffing myself.
So, read the book, learn the basics, keep them in mind. If you happen to sin along the way just hop on back and you'll be fine.
This truly was the first step to a 25% Off Me.