Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: Audio CDChange

on September 27, 2006
As a New Englander, I have always reveled in the passing of the seasons, and this music provides a perfect soundtrack to the wonders of nature. My mother has another version of this Vivaldi masterpiece by Itzhak Pearlman, but honestly I think this recording is better and more enjoyable. The three extra concertos for violin included on this disc are real treats, especially the Concerto for 2 violins in A minor. The liner notes also include the sonnets Vivaldi wrote to accompany his music, which I think are really fascinating. This may be a cheap cd, but it has the sound quality of a world class recording!
0Comment44 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 4, 2011
This is a great version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Each movement is played with great passion and expression. Whenever I hear this beautiful piece (or four pieces, rather!), I can see the seasons change in my imagination, as each song unfolds in its glory. Right now, as we are working through the tail end of our winter season, in Seattle, listening to Spring and Summer, especially, remind me that the sun will return (hopefully) in just a few short months. The Four Seasons is, at once, jubilant, and full of haunting reflection. This particular version melds great, heightened notes, accented by smoothly interwoven melody. Lovely.
on April 8, 2009
Excellent clarity! Not only the beauty of the music but the mastering has is supreme. I not only can hear the birds in "Spring"
I can feel them!
VINE VOICEon August 17, 2010
I've always appreciated Vivaldi's "Spring," but wanted the entire Four Seasons Concerto. This CD delivers! Not only does this CD contain the entire Four Seasons Concerto, it also includes 3 other violin/cello concertos written by Vivaldi - and they are beautiful!

The recording is crisp, the violins intense and beautiful, and the rendering is very well done. This is a recording that one can either have playing in the background, or just sit and listen to and imagine the changing seasons while in their own home. Beautiful!
on March 27, 2012
I don't have a musical background, but recently I decided to start collecting great orchestral works. So consider this review from someone learning to appreciate classical music.

After listening twice to this CD, I can understand why The Four Seasons and Antonio Vivaldi himself are considered greats. Before my second listen, I discovered in the CD notes that The Four Seasons were part of a larger work and that Vivaldi had written sonnets to go with each movement for a particular season which were reprinted. After reading said sonnets, The Four Seasons came even more alive than the first time I had listen to the work.

The other three concertos contained on this CD were great as well, I particularlly liked Concerto for 2 Violins and Cello in D minor. However that doesn't mean I didn't like either Concerto for 2 Violins in A minor or Concerto for 2 Violins in G minor, but I liked the addition of the cello to a CD which was dominated by violins.

If you're like myself and starting out to collect classical music, this is a CD you should buy.
on May 3, 2014
My doubts that this would not be a quality recording were quickly put to rest as I listened to this CD during my morning commute over several days. This recording is a treat both for the music and the price.
on February 14, 2013
I tend to order music that I am familiar with, or by a composer that I like. I lost my previous CD of this, before I made a back up copy. I am gald to have it back. Vivaldi wrote a lot of very enjoyable music. Music is a lot like wine tasting. If it is tastes good, drink it. Screw the peachy overtones and richness on the palate. Or whatever those WTs say. This sounds good. Listen to it.

I suppose that would entail buying it, but that's what Amazon is here for. To sell you that CD that you want to hear. Go ahead. Take the plunge.
on October 5, 2014
Having been a native New Englander for my entire life, I can say that this timeless masterpiece by one of the greatest composers from the Baroque period is definitely one to which I can closely relate. The periodic consistency of the seasons is an everlasting cycle that is a part of the way how we all live out lives and carry out our activities on a year-by-year basis. Whenever I just want to be soothed into relaxation after a hard day's work or otherwise, this really does fill the bill - and this is coming from a die-hard heavy metal freak!

Every single piece just pierces the very soul with the pure, entrancing magic for which this sort of music is known. Whether slow and steady or fast and driving, the articulation and layering of the varying pitches of string instruments is right on the mark every step of the way, and holds the listener's attention. There is quite a lot I could say about this magnificent musical suite that I have already said about those by other composers, such as Beethoven, Wagner or Holst, but I will not repeat myself here.

Honestly, right along with Beethoven's "Ode to Joy," Wagner's "Die Walkure," and Holst's "The Planets," Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" stands as one of the greatest masterpieces of musical magic of all time, hands down. This is REAL music, unlike any of that meaningless, talentless, classless, non-artistic rap, pop, techno, house, dubstep or EDM trash that people like to call "music" nowadays. I should not even have to say this, as it is just common sense.

This is music for people who know what music is, no questions asked. There is a reason that people still listen to and talk about it in reverential tones, even to this day. Anyways, just buy this already.
on December 1, 2015
I bought this years ago. My very first classical CD. Actually I think I bought it at a 5 and dime for next to nothing. I have loved it ever since and still have it.
Sure, there are some imperfections with it but as an introduction to classical I would recommend it.
But from here I went on to Bach, Chopin, Mozart and, my all time favorite, Beethoven.
I do not have a 'trained ear' for classical I just now that it is my passion and that I know what I like.
I am also a fan of Black Sabbath, Metallica, Norah Jones, Conway Twitty.....well...you get the idea. I am a fan of music.
Classical is still what pulls me in the most. I do have some incredible versions of Vivaldi yet this one here pulls me back every time.
If you are new to the genre I would recommend it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2012
I won't pretend I know a lot about classical music. I will say, though, that I've been in love with the four seasons by Vivaldi since I heard them in humanities in high school in the early 2000's. The imagery created by these sounds is phenomenal and these pieces are timeless. The first track, la primavera (spring), will be recognized by anyone you give this to and makes a great gift, given they keep listening. 41 minutes to get through all four seasons--the best 41 minutes of music ever written in my opinion.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse