5.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware
Published 13 months ago by Ben

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, October 27, 2013
This review is from: 4-Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan ($1000-1250) (Electronics)
Based on the Nikon Bundle I purchased, this plan may have very limited benefits. I purchased the 4-year agreement with accidental damage (ADH) ($1,000-1,250). Nikon has a one-year limited warranty on their cameras and lens plus 4-year extended service coverage on their lens, for a total of 5 years. The Smart Guard Warranty is basically the same as the manufacturer's limited warranty unless you purchase a plan with ADH. During the period of the manufacturer's warranty, Smart Guard will assist you in receiving repairs from the manufacturer. If Smart Guard ever has to pay for repairs, you are limited to the total amount of your plan (in my case $1,250). If Smart Guard replaces an item there is no further coverage for that item. Based on my understanding of this plan and talking with customer service, this plan is not for me.

Smart Guard clearly states this is not an insurance policy. If Smart Guard does not pay a claim, replace the item, comply with the service agreement, etc., within 60 days you can cancel the service agreement. If you are entitled to a refund, you can file a claim with Smart Guard's insurance company. In addition, Smart Guard "reserves the right, at Our sole discretion, to replace Your Product with a product of equal or similar features and functionality, not necessarily the same brand." I will have a problem, if I sent in my Nikon camera, which I have a number of accessories and parts, and got back a refurbished Epson Camera or something else crazy. If you have to send your product in for repair, you are responsible for shipping it there and it arriving undamaged; Smart Guard will then pay for the return. You may want to check with your homeowners' insurance policy because you may already be covered for more than the coverage in this service agreement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service, November 24, 2013
I purchased this to cover my new Sony NEX-6 bundle that included the 55-210 lens, but when I went to the registration page I could only select the base camera. Since the warranty price was based on the bundle price - and I really wanted to include the lens - I called the company. It was Sunday evening yet someone answered quickly and even spoke English!! I explained the situation so she noted in the registration that I purchased a "bundle" and confirmed that the warranty covered everything on the invoice - not just the camera and lens!

Hopefully I never have to make a claim, but so far they are off to a good start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Response, December 19, 2013
GodfatherX (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
I haven't had a claim yet, so I can't really make a jusgment on the actual product, but I can say that they are very responsive and give you the information that you need. I called them PRIOR to the sale, ecasue I had a question. There was practically no wait time, the representative was American and spoke proper English and she answered all my questions to my satisfaction.

One thing to know about the product: The 4-Year protection plan is really a 3-Year protection plan for repairs, becasue in the first year, they won't cover that. Instead they will simply refer you to the manufacturer's warranty. However, in the first year, they DO cover the ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE (drop and spills), so that's why they call it a 4-Year coverage.

3.0 out of 5 stars After Complaint On Line, September 24, 2013
Their site isn't worth going to. I tried several times and failed. But I must say after a poor review they did contact me within hours after posting and my items were registered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time will tell, August 17, 2013
Registration was a challenge, but called the 800 number and the representative took care of it. I will let you know about the coverage if i ever have to use it. seems like a good value for the price and coverage term

3.0 out of 5 stars Not clear, March 23, 2014
It was not clear to me that I was going to get the protection plan information in the mail or by attachment in an email. Until I use, which I hope I don't have to use the protection plan. It is difficult to rate the plan at this time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review for services yet to rendered, October 11, 2013
Until I need this insurance, IE something happens in the field to my camera, it would be hard to rate this service. With that said what I can say is that after reading the contract that was emailed to me I had concerns. Flat out, I'm not to good at translating these type of things. I contacted them for clarification. It may seem like a small thing, but a lot can be learned about a company by the way they handle incoming calls and product inquiries.

I was surprised that a human being answered the phone (no machine, no wait time). This is much more important then you might imagine. I was also pleased this person was 'state side' and spoke perfect English. I am not a xenophobe, but very frustrated by the language barrier that often exists when dealing with firms outside of the US. What's more, my contact there was bright, patient, and understood the product fully. This too was at one time, par for the course. But, these days, it's rare indeed.

From this initial experience I am confident that they will do as they say. Repair my camera if an accident should occur. I don't know how helpful this will be, but Amazon seems to insist on reviews, I like to chat... there you have it.

2.0 out of 5 stars You need to read the contract, June 7, 2014
Fortunately I read the whole contract before deciding to get my money back. The caveats (one is that you have to use the camera indoors only) mean that the contract doesn't cover anything if you do any kind of wildlife photography. And they say they can replace the camera with any similar make or model if they can't fix your camera. Wait! What if they try to replace it with a Nikon and I have only Canon lenses? Not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got a full refund and purchased another one right away!, November 22, 2014
It was easy to sign up. Just type in your Amazon order number and they can access the Amazon order and see what you bought. We bought a drone for $1200, and flew it around a few times. As new drone fliers will tell you, it's easy to crash into a tree, or upon landing. The camera part got injured in a landing. We called Smart Guard and they said to send in everything and they would cut us a check for the full amount. We re-ordered another drone, and had our check within 2 weeks. Fantastic Customer Service! Couldn't have been faster or easier!

3.0 out of 5 stars The large number of exclusions in the fine print worries me, August 22, 2014
thankfully havent needed to us it yet!
The large number of exclusions in the fine print worries me,
but no real alternitives that i know of.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›