Published 3 months ago by Francis W. Chamberand

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Coverage
Amazon listed this as "accidental & spill" damage protection, however the contract explicitly states that water damage of any kind (along with a very, very long list of other things that void the protection) voids the protection plan. In fact, the coverage is worded in such a way that pretty much everything voids the protection program.

If you don't believe me,...
Published 9 months ago by D. Ranucci

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Coverage, November 6, 2013
This review is from: 4-Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan ($250-300) (Electronics)

If you don't believe me, here's an excerpt:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER ANY LOSS, REPAIRS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY OR RESULTING
FROM: (A) PRE‐EXISTING CONDITIONS INCURRED OR KNOWN TO YOU ("PRE‐EXISTING" MEANS A CONDITION THAT WITHIN ALL
REASONABLE MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL PROBABILITY RELATES TO THE MECHANICAL FITNESS OF YOUR COVERED PRODUCT
PRIOR TO ISSUANCE OF THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT); (B) IMPROPER PACKAGING AND/OR TRANSPORTATION BY YOU OR YOUR
REPRESENTATIVE RESULTING IN DAMAGE DURING SHIPMENT TO A SERVICE CENTER OR RELOCATION OF THE COVERED PRODUCT;
(C) INSTALLATION, REMOVAL, REINSTALLATION OR IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF COMPONENTS, UPGRADES, ATTACHMENTS OR
PERIPHERALS; (D) PRODUCTS AND/OR COMPONENTS THAT ARE USED IN APPLICATIONS THAT REQUIRE CONTINUOUS BUSINESS
AND/OR COMMERCIAL OPERATION, OR ARE USED FOR COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, EDUCATIONAL OR PUBLIC USE PURPOSES OR
OFFERED ON A RENTAL BASIS, OR COIN‐OPERATED PRODUCTS; (E) DAMAGE OR FAILURE CAUSED BY RIOT, NUCLEAR RADIATION,
WAR OR HOSTILE ACTION, RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION, ETC.; (F) DAMAGE FROM FREEZING OR OVERHEATING; (G) INADEQUATE
PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL OR GAS SERVICE; (H) INTERRUPTION OF GAS OR ELECTRICAL SERVICE; (I) NEGLECT, NEGLIGENCE, MISUSE,
ABUSE, INTENTIONAL PHYSICAL/MECHANICAL/ELECTRONIC DAMAGE, PHYSICAL DAMAGE OR MALICIOUS MISCHIEF, THEFT OR
MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE, VANDALISM, RUST, CORROSION, WARPING, BENDING, ANIMAL OR INSECT INFESTATION, ETC. TO
THE COVERED PRODUCT OR ANY COMPONENT; (J) DAMAGE OR FAILURE DUE TO CAUSES BEYOND YOUR CONTROL SUCH AS
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS OR ACTS OF NATURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FIRE,
FLOODS, SMOKE, SAND, DIRT, LIGHTNING, MOISTURE, WATER DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, WHETHER FROM FRESH WATER, SALTWATER
OR OTHER WATER INTRUSION, STORMS, WIND OR WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, OTHER EXTERNAL PERILS OF NATURE; (K)
REPAIRS NECESSITATED BY OPERATION OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURER OPERATIONAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS; (L)
BATTERY FAILURE OR LEAKAGE; (M) COLLISION WITH ANOTHER OBJECT, COLLAPSE, EXPLOSION, LIQUID SPILLAGE OF ANY KIND BY
ANY OWNER, EMPLOYEE, THIRD PARTY, REPAIR PERSONNEL, ETC.,

1.0 out of 5 stars calling it drop/spill protection is a joke, July 31, 2013
I purchased it because my last camera I fell into a pool while trying to take a picture. So when I bought my replacement camera, I purchased the drop/spill protection, but when you read the actual plan, it doesn't read that drops and spills are covered! They make it sound good but misuse by owner isn't covered. So there is the loop hole so they don't have to cover the drop/spill. I wish I hadn't spent the money on the extra protection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read the fine print., December 3, 2013
Bucky Kansas (Wichita, KS United States) - See all my reviews
In reading this, apparently this company can fix your camera using recycled parts, can send you a totally different camera brand, and has many hurdles to leap to make all that happen. I returned it and found where Amazon also sells actual Nikon extended warranties. I am happy now. This plan might work for some people, but the Nikon was cheaper and much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars SMART GUARD PROTECTION PLAN WOULD LIKE A HARD COPY OF CONTRACT, December 10, 2013
It was a pain to fill out and I expected a warranty in the mail didn't appreciate that i do not get a hard copy of the warranty and i still would like one to have and hold. guess I am old school. I am 75 yrs. old

3.0 out of 5 stars The customer service was great and the rep was eager to help fix the ..., July 31, 2014
The customer service was great and the rep was eager to help fix the problem. However, the bigger problem was the protection plan takes effect 1 YEAR after the purchase date. I had to go back to the manufacturer (which was not as eager to help).

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera Protection, March 10, 2014
I bought the protection for the camera but I have not received any information on the plan. It would have been usefull to have however I did not receive any protection plan and Iam still wondering if the camera is protected.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap If You Need It, January 11, 2014
I like to think of an extended protection as money well wasted if the product doesn't break. It's like buying car insurance and hoping not to crash. The fine print is a bit concerning as it is fairly limited but it does cover accidental drops and spills. You only learn this once you purchase the warranty and read the microscopic coverage legalize.....This does not mean you can drop it in the pool. The coverage is only good for since inches of water. And don't get the idea that if you wear out the camera you can purposely damage it and be covered for a new one. This is designed for the unforeseen oops event (and in the event of replacement it is a on time coverage) and the covering body can replace the unit if needed with refurbished similar products. Read that as if you have a SONY camera they can replace it with a different and/or refurbished brand or model as long as they consider it similar. The value is in the event the digital display or the zoom drive craps out. with the warranty it's a covered repair otherwise it would be cheaper to buy a new camera. I hate throwing away money but if I didn't buy the warranty it would be this camera that would have a problem. Recommendation? How lucky are you?

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 - Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan [$250-$300], May 12, 2014
I did receive the subject plan in the time specified. Packaging of paper - what's to say? It did arrive in good shape i.e. not torn, bent or otherwise damaged in any way. I normally do not buy plans like this however, with cameras and camcorders anything can go wrong at any time - from dropping it, getting it wet, etc. SmartGuard will make money on this I'm sure however, it is nice to have peace of mind. Hopefully I will not have to use this plan and if I do I hope SmartGuard lives up to the plan terms and conditions. This is a basic insurance policy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent customer service., December 18, 2013
I returned the camera and Smart Guard immediately refunded my money for the protection plan. I assume they are just as good when honoring any claims.

5.0 out of 5 stars My review of this product is incomplete--and I hope it ..., July 11, 2014
My review of this product is incomplete--and I hope it stays that way. I had previously ordered a similar plan from Square Trade (also on Amazon) for another camera I purchased. I bought this one because it cost less. I hope I don't have to use it, and I can't really rate the product unless I do. Considering the cost, I can't understand why anyone would spend several hundred dollars on a camera and not buy a warranty extension.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›