5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection plan
For everyone purchasing a camera should make this purchase for your own benefit. A minor repair will cost you a minimum of $200.00.
Published 1 month ago by Randy

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading
The ad said drops and spills protection. When I got the details drops and spills were excluded. in fact hardly anything was covered.
Published 16 months ago by John Maresca

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, September 19, 2013
This review is from: 4-Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan ($400-450) (Electronics)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rated very poorly on review sites around the internet. MUCH better coverage options available., December 8, 2013
1. Read the pdf carefully. Their contract is written to get them out of paying for a lot of things. NOTHING that the Warrantech people write on the review site is an actual part of the contract. READ THE CONTRACT.

2. Their badge says, "Smart Guard Accidental Protection." Since you're actually payinf for it, this is incorrect. It should either read "Accident Protection" or "Purposeful Protection."

3. Since no one on here has reported back on whether Warrantech follows through with their protection, you'd do well to do a search for reviews. Try a Google search of "Warrantech reviews." You'll find the following:

[...] (2.5 of 5 stars on Yelp)

[...] (Placed 9th out of 10 reviews - you CAN get protection that you don't purchase with your item)

[...] (40 reports filed with Ripoffreports.com)

[...] (357 complaints filed against Warrantech with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

Note that the grade on a BBB site is not the best way to judge a company. Here's why: Say you fight with a company for 6 months and finally file a complaint with the BBB. If after a year you finally come to ANY conclusion, the complaint shows resolved, and the negative rating is removed. If the company can show that they have written a contract that shows that you aren't getting the coverage you paid for, the complaint does not go against their score. The company can have a million complaints and still have an A. (See Hughesnet.com's complaints).

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned for refund, October 28, 2013
Policy has an almost unlimited number of exceptions to coverage, including use outdoors, making the policy have little value. Returned the Plan

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cover anything., November 27, 2013
After reading the fine print, I can not see how it covers anything. Really wish I hadn't spent the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Protection plan, January 5, 2014
Feel it was misrepresented. Received notification by e-mail with no hard copy without printing at home. It appears from reading that the plan only duplicates the manufacturer's warranty and does not cover accidental damage at all. Why call it an "accident protection plan" when it truly is not. I consider it a worthless purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO Not Purchase this policy, August 28, 2014
I had my new camera one week, took it on vacation and dropped it. The lens stuck open, camera still turned on but could not take a picture. Thank goodness I bought this policy, BUT after calling to file a claim and sending in my camera, immediately upon return of my vacation, first week of June. I still have not received my camera back! I have called every week since first of June and although Smart Guard customer service has been very nice, no one knows where my camera is because someone keyed in wrong camera number upon receiving my camera. When camera is received from Smart Guard it is then sent to Precision Camera. You can NEVER get anyone on phone here. Either voicemail or no answer at all. I am beyond frustrated and just want my camera back. It was a very nice one. This is now almost September and no one can help me. I have yet to receive one phone call in two months updating me on situation. Information comes from me calling every week. I highly suggest not getting this insurance policy. And I promise you, this is first bad review I have every given.

1.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING THIS WARRANTY, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!, December 21, 2014
IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING THIS WARRANTY, PLEASE READ THIS FIRST! I bought this warranty for a camera earlier this summer. I based my purchase on the "reasonably good" overall review rating of 3.5 stars. You need to realize that the majority of the 4 and 5 star reviews are from people who have never tried to submit a claim! Those who have tried to submit a claim generally submit a 1 star review and would rate it a zero if we could. Now for my experience... I purchased a Panasonic camera and this warranty in May. During a trip in August, I got caught in a rainstorm and put the camera in the front pocket of my water resistant jacket because the rain was coming from behind me. What I didn't realize is that the pocket was "gapping" open, which let the rain right into it. When I got back to the car and took my camera out of my pocket, it was completely wet. I let it dry out thoroughly before trying to turn it on again. The camera would come on, but none of the buttons would work. I called the Panasonic Repair Center and they said the camera wasn't under warranty any more, but I could still send it in to get it fixed. I had another major trip coming up in October, so I sent in the camera and got a repair estimate of $180. I also tried to file a claim under this Smart Guard warranty at the time. First, the Smart Guard website wouldn't let me register my warranty and I had to send a separate email to get this fixed. Then when I tried to submit a claim, they said my camera was still under warranty. I explained that the camera was NOT under warranty any more when I tried to submit the claim. Smart Guard just ignored the claim I tried to file. I tried a second time to file a claim, and so far they have ignored this claim also. I ended up having to buy another new camera so I would have one for my trip in October. Panasonic finally repaired my first camera at the end of October for $195.80. So... I am out the price for my second camera (>$400), the $195.80 for the repair of the first camera, AND the cost of the Smart Guard warranty which has been completely useless so far! Do not be fooled by the 4 and 5 star reviews - pay attention to those who actually tried to file a claim. This company is a complete SCAM - I hoped for better from Amazon!

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly worthless. I spent the money to buy a ..., December 4, 2014
Utterly worthless. I spent the money to buy a protection plan for my camera covering accidental damages. When I had damage a year and a half later (my camera fell over while on a tripod) they claimed that it was "environmental causes" that led to the camera damage and refused to cover the camera. Those running this plan are dishonest and will not honor the plan. Do not purchase this

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of 50 dollars, November 7, 2014
It's so hard to actually sign up for this warranty I gave up and now I'm not even covered by it. Waste of 50 dollars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Never used, but electronics drop in value so I'd self-insure next time, January 12, 2015
I haven't had to use this. I bought it for a camera that originally cost $400 because I dropped the previous one in a lake a few weeks after buying.

That was about a year ago and I noticed the price of the same camera is $159 now. That price drop was within one year. I could easily eat $159.

My advice would be not to buy this warranty unless you're sure the item you're insuring will hold its value. That is probably not the case for most P&S cameras.

As I said, I haven't had to use the warranty so I'm not saying the service is bad or anything, just that if you can afford to wait for your item to drop in price it may be worth self-insuring.