Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 4 Year Camera Accident Protection Plan ($450-500)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Service plan term: 4 Year|Service plan covered value: $450-500|Change
Price:$55.99+ Free shipping

on November 6, 2013
Amazon listed this as "accidental & spill" damage protection, however the contract explicitly states that water damage of any kind (along with a very, very long list of other things that void the protection) voids the protection plan. In fact, the coverage is worded in such a way that pretty much everything voids the protection program.

If you don't believe me, here's an excerpt:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER ANY LOSS, REPAIRS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY OR RESULTING
FROM: (A) PRE‐EXISTING CONDITIONS INCURRED OR KNOWN TO YOU ("PRE‐EXISTING" MEANS A CONDITION THAT WITHIN ALL
REASONABLE MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL PROBABILITY RELATES TO THE MECHANICAL FITNESS OF YOUR COVERED PRODUCT
PRIOR TO ISSUANCE OF THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT); (B) IMPROPER PACKAGING AND/OR TRANSPORTATION BY YOU OR YOUR
REPRESENTATIVE RESULTING IN DAMAGE DURING SHIPMENT TO A SERVICE CENTER OR RELOCATION OF THE COVERED PRODUCT;
(C) INSTALLATION, REMOVAL, REINSTALLATION OR IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF COMPONENTS, UPGRADES, ATTACHMENTS OR
PERIPHERALS; (D) PRODUCTS AND/OR COMPONENTS THAT ARE USED IN APPLICATIONS THAT REQUIRE CONTINUOUS BUSINESS
AND/OR COMMERCIAL OPERATION, OR ARE USED FOR COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, EDUCATIONAL OR PUBLIC USE PURPOSES OR
OFFERED ON A RENTAL BASIS, OR COIN‐OPERATED PRODUCTS; (E) DAMAGE OR FAILURE CAUSED BY RIOT, NUCLEAR RADIATION,
WAR OR HOSTILE ACTION, RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION, ETC.; (F) DAMAGE FROM FREEZING OR OVERHEATING; (G) INADEQUATE
PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL OR GAS SERVICE; (H) INTERRUPTION OF GAS OR ELECTRICAL SERVICE; (I) NEGLECT, NEGLIGENCE, MISUSE,
ABUSE, INTENTIONAL PHYSICAL/MECHANICAL/ELECTRONIC DAMAGE, PHYSICAL DAMAGE OR MALICIOUS MISCHIEF, THEFT OR
MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE, VANDALISM, RUST, CORROSION, WARPING, BENDING, ANIMAL OR INSECT INFESTATION, ETC. TO
THE COVERED PRODUCT OR ANY COMPONENT; (J) DAMAGE OR FAILURE DUE TO CAUSES BEYOND YOUR CONTROL SUCH AS
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS OR ACTS OF NATURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FIRE,
FLOODS, SMOKE, SAND, DIRT, LIGHTNING, MOISTURE, WATER DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, WHETHER FROM FRESH WATER, SALTWATER
OR OTHER WATER INTRUSION, STORMS, WIND OR WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, OTHER EXTERNAL PERILS OF NATURE; (K)
REPAIRS NECESSITATED BY OPERATION OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURER OPERATIONAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS; (L)
BATTERY FAILURE OR LEAKAGE; (M) COLLISION WITH ANOTHER OBJECT, COLLAPSE, EXPLOSION, LIQUID SPILLAGE OF ANY KIND BY
ANY OWNER, EMPLOYEE, THIRD PARTY, REPAIR PERSONNEL, ETC.,
4646 comments|736 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2014
If you read the fine print, this coverage is basically non-existant. They have the right to substitute a refurbished product OR at their sole option a different product entirely with "similar" features. Not even the same features or specs, but what they consider to be "similar". They can even give you a product of a different Brand. If you buy a Sony, you could get a non-name brand or any brand. If they have to repair the product, they can use generic parts or parts that are not made by the company that made your product. You can wind up with re-furbished parts, third-party much cheaper parts or whatever they decide to put in the product. The reason the price is so reasonable for this warranty is that it really isn't a warranty. You could wind up with anything. They also do not cover what they deem to be abuse or mis-handling. It is solely up to them to decide if you should be covered. In fact, whatever they send you is no longer covered under the warranty you purchased. You have to buy a new warranty to cover the repaired or replaced product. Spend more and get a legitimate warranty. There are plenty of companies that sell real extended accidental damage insurance. Be careful and really read the fine print before you waste your money on this virtually useless warranty.
44 comments|295 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2014
I was planning to buy a camera and accident coverage from amazon today - but after reading so many reviews of this plan that read "well, not too sure, but hopefully I won't need it"….I decided to do my own research!! When I went to the smart guard website and started reading what is NOT covered, I couldn't believe it! Here are a few things that are NOT covered under this "Accident Protection Plan". Water damage of any kind - fresh or salt water - due to weather or spillage, by owner or any other person. Damage due to weather exposure - dirt, sand, moisture, etc. Power overload or surge. Accidental damage - physical, mechanical or electrical - due to Dropping. Um, ok, what on earth am I buying a protection plan for if it covers exactly NONE of the potential reasons I would have for needing an accident protection plan?!? The only reason I would buy one is to protect myself against a minor accident like something getting spilled on it, sand or dirt from the playground or beach, or it getting dropped or banged up from being in a bag or backpack. Thanks, but no. I will pay a few dollars more and get a real protection plan from my favorite online camera store. Thanks Amazon - you lost the sale on this one with this terrible plan.
1010 comments|288 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013

If you don't believe me, here's an excerpt:

ANY OWNER, EMPLOYEE, THIRD PARTY, REPAIR PERSONNEL, ETC.,
99 comments|240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2014
Tremendous scam and horrible customer service. My saga continues. I bought a Canon G15 that quit working after 6 months of very little use. In June, first day of vacation, the camera stopped working. Canon tech was of little help. I told Canon that I had Smart Guard and Canon then told me to contact them about the repair. Smart Guard them tells me that since the camera is under warranty with Canon I need to have the repair done thru Canon. Great fun. I send the camera to Canon and after chasing them for a response for two weeks I am told that the camera shows signs of water damage and that this is something that they do not cover. Of course, this is why I bought the Smart Guard coverage. For what it's worth, this camera has never been near the water. I now go back to chasing Smart Guard and after repeated attempts I finally get a response. Smart Guard asks what happened and I tell them how Canon believes the camera was water damaged. I tell Smart Guard that we had never gotten the camera wet and the only way it could possible have seen water damage is thru some sort of condensation, but again, that couldn't possible have happened. And this is where it gets really crazy. I get a call from Smart Guard approving the repair thru one of their repair outlets and I will see a box for the return coming within 3 to 5 days. Seven days later, no box. I call Smart Guard and am told they are denying the claim. I had to call them. They tell me that since the camera was damaged thru condensation it is not covered under the Smart Guard warranty. Of course, I never said it was damaged that way, thru condensation, but was only speculating. The rep at Smart Guard goes one step further to tell me that if I had dropped it in water it would be covered but not for the reasons of condensation, which never happened. Anyway, suffice to say, this is a total scam, like any other insurance company. Both Smart Guard and Canon have horrible customer service. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
11 comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2014
So many others have said things along the lines of "I don't know if this is good, but I'm glad I have it" - not particularly helpful...

I ended up buying it because the price was right. I found the fine print after I had purchased, and wished I had seen it before hand. It's not covered from "Acts of God" which are usually stipulated to be weather-related problems (e.g. if your house is flooded and your product is damaged, they can claim the flood was an act of god). Personally, I like my insurance policies to be atheist.

Here's what's NOT covered:
Pre-existing conditions or unauthorized repairs
Used items, floor samples, or products sold "As-Is"
Outdoor furniture
Products used in a commercial setting without a commercial plan
Damages resulting from exposure to outdoor elements
Damages from acts of nature or acts of God ******
Animal or insect infestation
Rot, rust, and mold
Theft and customer abuse or intentional damage
Other exclusions as listed in the Exclusions section of your terms and conditions
88 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2014
I hate complaining about a poor customer experience but I was so annoyed with my experience with this company. I purchased this plan with my NIkon Coolpix 520. I dropped the camera in February while on vacation and needed to get it repaired. The first contact explained how the process will work. They will send out a box I will send my camera back, Once it it received, the average turn around would be 3 days. My camera would be fixed or replaced. Call #2 was a couple weeks later and I was informed they never sent out a box and they'd do so straight away. Call #3 was a week after that. The box was sent, they said, they'll have to trace it. They'll initiate a trace on the box and get back to me in 1-2 days. Calls #4,5 and 6 were me following up, as I did not receive notice on what was going on. On call 6, I was told a supervisor would call me that day or the next at the latest. 3 days later I got one. Its now 6 weeks after my initial claim and Im told that they'll email me a mailing label to send it back. I'll have to go buy the packaging etc. Its now 2 weeks past then. Call #7 to check on the status of my claim. They received the camera and I'll have my check in 7-14 business days. Confused, I asked why I am not getting my camera (or a replacement coolpix 520) I was told. That was just the decision made. So I asked if they had notified me, and was told that a supervisor should have called me. I received no email, no phone call. No contact of any kind. I suppose I should be glad I am getting my full price paid, but what I wanted was the camera. Its now been roughly 9 weeks and I *should* have my reimbursement in1-2 more weeks :( I expect to have to call.
22 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2013
The ad said drops and spills protection. When I got the details drops and spills were excluded. in fact hardly anything was covered.
44 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2013
This "Protection plan" does not cover any sort of damage. From their terms and conditions under the section "WHAT IS NOT COVERED":

; (I) NEGLECT, NEGLIGENCE, MISUSE,
ABUSE,  INTENTIONAL  PHYSICAL/MECHANICAL/ELECTRONIC  DAMAGE,  PHYSICAL  DAMAGE  OR  MALICIOUS  MISCHIEF,  THEFT  OR
MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE, VANDALISM, RUST, CORROSION, WARPING, BENDING, ANIMAL OR INSECT INFESTATION, ETC. TO
THE  COVERED  PRODUCT OR ANY  COMPONENT; (J) DAMAGE OR  FAILURE DUE  TO  CAUSES  BEYOND  YOUR  CONTROL  SUCH AS
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS OR ACTS OF NATURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FIRE,
FLOODS, SMOKE, SAND, DIRT, LIGHTNING, MOISTURE, WATER DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, WHETHER FROM FRESH WATER, SALTWATER
OR OTHER WATER INTRUSION, STORMS, WIND OR WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, OTHER EXTERNAL PERILS OF NATURE; (K)
REPAIRS NECESSITATED BY OPERATION OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURER OPERATIONAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS; (L)
BATTERY FAILURE OR LEAKAGE; (M) COLLISION WITH ANOTHER OBJECT, COLLAPSE, EXPLOSION, LIQUID SPILLAGE OF ANY KIND BY
ANY  OWNER,  EMPLOYEE,  THIRD  PARTY,  REPAIR  PERSONNEL,  ETC.,  UNLESS  COVERED  UNDER  A  SERVICE  AGREEMENT  WHICH
SPECIFICALLY  INCLUDES  ANY  OF  THE  DEFINED  CAUSES;  (N)  ACCIDENTAL  DAMAGE;  INCLUDING  PHYSICAL  /  MECHANICAL  /
ELECTRONIC DAMAGE CAUSE BY DROPPING, UNLESS YOUR PRODUCT QUALIFIES FOR ADH COVERAGE; (O) DAMAGE, WARPING,
BENDING OR RUSTING OF ANY KIND TO THE HOUSING, CABINETRY, SUPPORTS, OUTSIDE CASING OR FRAME OF THE PRODUCT; (P)
IMPROPER OR  INADEQUATE  STORAGE;

There are literally no examples of what is covered in their terms or anywhere on their website. Do not purchase this plan, it is a scam through and through.
99 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2013
Smart Guard "Accidental Protection" 4 years???????

Accidents are the main thing people buy these plans for, but guess what ISN'T covered? you got it......accidents. You drop it in water while hiking or climbing, too bad. You go to beach and it gets sand in it, too bad.
Get stolen at home? it will cover that, but so will my homeowner's insurance, same for my car.
So what do they cover that isn't covered by home or auto insurance (and renter's insurance if don't own home).....still trying to figure that out.
Can't believe Amazon allows this, .....folks, wait till you try to register on their website. ????????
who set up their website? a 10 year old kid down the street?
I can't get it to register my product, and I am technically proficient

scam scam scam
99 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse