4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection investment
Hope I never have reason to use it, but good value in the event I do
Published 19 hours ago by William Farrell

2.0 out of 5 stars Customer Service Concerns
Published 12 months ago by Gina G.

2.0 out of 5 stars Customer Service Concerns, November 27, 2013
This review is from: 4-Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan ($500-600) (Electronics)
I am currently considering buying a Canon EOS Rebel T3i from Amazon but want a good protection plan to go with it. I have compared Protection Plans from other places and this is by far the best price. However, I wanted to know what the process would be in the event my camera required repair. In addition to other info, I asked if I could take the camera somewhere locally, or had to ship it, etc. I called Smart Guard and they provided a website that they said would provide me all the details. I went to the website and could not locate any information at all. I asked her to walk me through the website and help me locate the info. She said to click on terms and conditions. When I clicked on terms and conditions, it congratulated me on my purchase and did not give me any details as to where I would take my camera in the event it required repair. I repeatedly asked her for assistance and even asked for her to let me talk to someone that was familiar with the website and could provide better info. After a considerable length of time and frustration, she finally told me that they would provide a box for me to ship it and I would have to pay for the cost of shipping. Given the poor customer service provided, combined with the fact that I would have to pay shipping cost, I am considering buying the camera elsewhere as I don't want the possibility of dealing with this again. Best Buy is currently advertising the camera for $50 more. Their warranty is only 3 years and I believe it may be slightly higher in price. However, Best Buy indicated that I would not have to pay for shipping in the event that the camera required repair. I would have to take the camera to the store and I believe a decision for repair or replacement would be made at that time. I am a regular customer of Amazon and have always had great customer service from Amazon. I hope they offer more protection plans in the future as I would buy the camera without hesitation from Amazon if Smart Guard's plan didn't concern me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Here's the fine print., February 26, 2014
Maeve O. (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
So many others have said things along the lines of "I don't know if this is good, but I'm glad I have it" - not particularly helpful...

I ended up buying it because the price was right. I found the fine print after I had purchased, and wished I had seen it before hand. It's not covered from "Acts of God" which are usually stipulated to be weather-related problems (e.g. if your house is flooded and your product is damaged, they can claim the flood was an act of god). Personally, I like my insurance policies to be atheist.

Here's what's NOT covered:
Pre-existing conditions or unauthorized repairs
Used items, floor samples, or products sold "As-Is"
Outdoor furniture
Products used in a commercial setting without a commercial plan
Damages resulting from exposure to outdoor elements
Damages from acts of nature or acts of God ******
Animal or insect infestation
Rot, rust, and mold
Theft and customer abuse or intentional damage
Other exclusions as listed in the Exclusions section of your terms and conditions

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure WHAT it covers!, March 11, 2014
Renee (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
I was planning to buy a camera and accident coverage from amazon today - but after reading so many reviews of this plan that read "well, not too sure, but hopefully I won't need it"….I decided to do my own research!! When I went to the smart guard website and started reading what is NOT covered, I couldn't believe it! Here are a few things that are NOT covered under this "Accident Protection Plan". Water damage of any kind - fresh or salt water - due to weather or spillage, by owner or any other person. Damage due to weather exposure - dirt, sand, moisture, etc. Power overload or surge. Accidental damage - physical, mechanical or electrical - due to Dropping. Um, ok, what on earth am I buying a protection plan for if it covers exactly NONE of the potential reasons I would have for needing an accident protection plan?!? The only reason I would buy one is to protect myself against a minor accident like something getting spilled on it, sand or dirt from the playground or beach, or it getting dropped or banged up from being in a bag or backpack. Thanks, but no. I will pay a few dollars more and get a real protection plan from my favorite online camera store. Thanks Amazon - you lost the sale on this one with this terrible plan.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE SERVICE - MAJOR SCAM, July 30, 2014
Brian Swanson (Pacific Grove, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Tremendous scam and horrible customer service. My saga continues. I bought a Canon G15 that quit working after 6 months of very little use. In June, first day of vacation, the camera stopped working. Canon tech was of little help. I told Canon that I had Smart Guard and Canon then told me to contact them about the repair. Smart Guard them tells me that since the camera is under warranty with Canon I need to have the repair done thru Canon. Great fun. I send the camera to Canon and after chasing them for a response for two weeks I am told that the camera shows signs of water damage and that this is something that they do not cover. Of course, this is why I bought the Smart Guard coverage. For what it's worth, this camera has never been near the water. I now go back to chasing Smart Guard and after repeated attempts I finally get a response. Smart Guard asks what happened and I tell them how Canon believes the camera was water damaged. I tell Smart Guard that we had never gotten the camera wet and the only way it could possible have seen water damage is thru some sort of condensation, but again, that couldn't possible have happened. And this is where it gets really crazy. I get a call from Smart Guard approving the repair thru one of their repair outlets and I will see a box for the return coming within 3 to 5 days. Seven days later, no box. I call Smart Guard and am told they are denying the claim. I had to call them. They tell me that since the camera was damaged thru condensation it is not covered under the Smart Guard warranty. Of course, I never said it was damaged that way, thru condensation, but was only speculating. The rep at Smart Guard goes one step further to tell me that if I had dropped it in water it would be covered but not for the reasons of condensation, which never happened. Anyway, suffice to say, this is a total scam, like any other insurance company. Both Smart Guard and Canon have horrible customer service. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought a GO Pro Camera and also paid for the Smart Guard Protection Plan., March 13, 2014
I have a Go Pro Camera and paid for the Smart Guard Protection Plan. I went on a cruse and went scuba diving using the same case as four other divers used and my camera flooded and killed my camera. I went to both Go Pro and to Smart Guard and neither one will stand up and take care of this. So I am out around $400.00. DON'T BUY SMART GUARD THEY ARE HORRIBLE!

2.0 out of 5 stars Read the fine print., November 28, 2013
I actually returned this policy and got a refund. When I printed the policy out, there was like one paragraph telling you what they would cover and 2 pages detailing what was NOT covered! Definitely not worth the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars what protection, July 6, 2014
You feel good? its a good deal right? well yes, it would have been a good deal if
they would plan to spend at least a penny!
You think when you have a claim they will pay you a penny? No!! They are not waiting for any claim! They want to give insurance to everyone as long as they dont have to pay anything. Your item is dropped, you call them, they find a way to fool you and will never respond to you!
My camera was damaged and I called them. They did not pay saying that this type of damage is not covered! I called them several times and the person who answers the phone just repeats the same sentences, he says this is what they told him (i.e., no matter what I say, he can only repeat the same stuff! ) So beware
I think this company can have a patent on how to get rid of all claims!
Note: All good reviews correspond to customers who never had to use the protection!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother- Camera held hostage, July 14, 2014
I wish i could give this less than 1 star. I have never seen a shoddier company with worse service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Protection plan, June 25, 2014
Very little protection is offered by this plan. It is only slightly better than the manufacturers warranty. If you drop it, forget it. I have no intention of intentionally ruining this camera but if it falls off the roof of my car, I would like to have some sort of compensation. I guess I was just expecting too much. Read the policy carefully before you pull the trigger, maybe I just did not read it like I should have

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection investment, December 18, 2014