5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary second look and opinion for Smart Guard.
I initially reported never receiving protection plan via Email. I was wrong. I also had problems registering my plan. I called the given telephone number and spoke to someone quickly, on Sunday and in English I understood. The best part was that my issues were resolved in about 5 minutes. Anyone would rate it at 5 stars in view of the details. Thank You!
H Velez
Published 12 months ago by Herminio Velez

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious delays
Published 5 months ago by Jennifer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious delays, May 7, 2014
This review is from: 4-Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan ($700-800) (Electronics)
I contacted Smart Guard about a warranty repair on April 14th. A very helpful person stated I would receive additional information in a few days. After 10 days, I called back. Another very helpful person stated that jobs requiring repairs are sent to another company, Precision, and he could see that the job request did not go through from Smart Guard to Precision. He stated I would be contact by Precision in a few days. I called back a third time when another very helpful person answered. She placed me on hold while she contacted Precision. She subsequently stated that Precision would overnight a shipping box so I could send my camera in to them. Suffice it to say, the box still has not showed. Call number 4 going in tomorrow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cover my camera kit as it was more expensive than this plan..., December 19, 2013
Apparently I can't register my product because this plan doesn't cover the camera kit (Nikon D5200) I ordered because it was more expensive than the plan is. I wish I would have understood that sooner or it was made clearer to me before I bought it,

1.0 out of 5 stars can't input info, August 14, 2013
Cannot finish inputting data, never accepts info, keeps starting over when click "continue". There is no link for help on site or could not find a way to chat. No email to contact found.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT cover accidents, spills, or drops!!!!, December 6, 2013
Be warned! This "Accident Protection Plan" that is also called a "Spills and Drop Warranty," specifically EXCLUDES the following: accidents, spills, or drops. You are basically getting an extended manufacturers warranty. I called the company that provides my auto insurance and found a separate risk policy for my camera. I will pay $40 per year and theft, accidents, spills, and drops will be covered. Hopefully none of those things happen but at least I am covered if they do. Don't waste your money on this plan.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Help, June 30, 2014
When I asked for a repair, the company never responded to my requests for help. They asked for registration...I gave it. No help

1.0 out of 5 stars never got it - no response to the request for it - and no replacement of moldy items, December 30, 2013
Receipt of purchase shows the protection plan - no policy or document received to understand the protection plan - this is months after the purchase and no idea who to contact now.

WHat do I do?

1.0 out of 5 stars Will NOT cover Amazon Marketplace devices, even if Amazon suggests that you add it to purchase, August 30, 2014
This is more about Amazon than Smart Guard. If this review even gets posted, kudos to Amazon for allowing a negative experience to be on their site.

If you are buying a brand new product -- this review will NOT apply. I can't tell you about how about Smart Guard, because I purchased an open item product (camera) from Amazon Marketplace. Even though the camera didn't qualify -- for whatever reason, as soon as I hit the BUY button for the camera -- Amazon had the warranty pop as being recommended and asked if I want to add it to my cart. That's not going to be a problem with a brand new item, so the rest of this only applies to those buying open/refurbished/used products.

However, if you are not buying something brand new -- the quick and primary take away from my experience is:

1) if this warranty pops up when you choose to buy a product from Amazon Marketplace / refurbished / open box etc (reportedly backed by Amazon) -- this Smart Guard warranty will NOT COVER you -- unless Smart Guard has added coverage of opened items to their inventory (even then, I'd really make sure before you buy the warranty -- and I would not trust Amazon for that answer - you'd have to read the rest of the review as to why).

2) If you are buying from Amazon Marketplace, from my experience, it may it sound as if the product (in my case, a camera) was opened, but not much more than that, "only minor cosmetic issues." My camera (see below if interested) -- had an intermittent problem that could be serious (touch screen intermittently goes off when your finger gets within an inch of it). Camera still works and still has intermittent problems. From my experience, I believe (no evidence) that many of the products on Amazon Marketplace may have had one more problem beyond minor cosmetic issues -- probably significant problems that may not have been fully remediated.

The rest of this review is the details of my experience with Amazon begin misleading on these warranties and not backing up what later said -- even if it made a mistake in saying it -- once said, it should be done. It wasn't. If interested and you have time to kill -- here's the story -- if not -- hope you buy an awesome product and the warranty brings peace of mind, but is not needed.
______________
I bought a Samsung NX 30 Camera from Amazon's Market Place, which means camera wasn't brand new, but should only have "minor cosemetic issues." When I clicked on the Amazon Buy button, I was INSTANTLY shown this Smart Guard 4 year protection plan as a recommendation from Amazon. I figured the camera must qualify, because it came up automatically (i.e, Amazon pushed it, and I had not done a search for the warranty), so I bought it - actually it never crossed my mind that it wouldn't be covered, until there was a problem.

As noted, shortly after I received the camera, there was a intermittent issue with the touchscreen shutting off when my finger came within an inch of the screen. Seemed weird to me, but I did it over and over with same effect -- however this problem often does not occur -- no clue why it happens when it does, but it eventually goes away. This problem caused me to want to have it checked and an fixed. After all I have a 4 year warranty. However, I hadn't received documents from Smart Guard. Not getting any paperwork / information from Smart Guard made me worry that the warranty didn't go through -- even though it showed it as purchased on Amazon. It also hit me that Smart Guard might not cover it because, it wasn't new. But Amazon recommended it when I hit the purchase button - so it must be, but thought it best to check with Amazon -- "I'll just check with Amazon." I used the instant chat to talk with an Amazon rep. to find out what's going on.

I asked Amazon's representative if it was, and she assured me it was covered -- I even reminded her that it was from Amazon Marketplace (i.e. not new) - and she told it was no problem -- just call Smart Guard - and Amazon would back me. Smart Guard had a different view on the camera being covered -- it was not covered, whether or not Amazon matched it with an opened product.

So I again contacted an Amazon rep who, after hearing my story, passed me on to a higher level rep. Nope, I wasn't covered by the warranty. I asked the Amazon rep, why they had the warranty pop up when they HAD TO KNOW it wouldn't cover the product, and why Amazon assured me it was covered and Amazon would back me. All I wanted was for Amazon to have the camera assessed and repaired for this one issue. I felt this was reasonable and fair, because they'd caused me to feel I was covered -- not once, but twice: The first time was their mistake in recommending the warranty during the purchase of an Amazon Marketplace camera (bad enough), but later assuring me I was covered and they would back me up.

This rep said he had to get back to me, obviously going up even one more level -- we he got back to me the answer was NOPE, we won't have it assessed and fixed. I was infuriated by Amazon recommended a product (without any inquiry on my part) and then failing to back up their statement that I was covered and they would back me. Even though I have had pretty good luck with Amazon - this really pushed my buttons. TO BE FAIR -- The Amazon rep offered to take the camera back or exchange it for another Amazon Market Place camera. By this time, I'd been burned, I didn't trust cameras that came from Amazon Market place (and still don't) and figured the next camera could develop a more severe problem than my camera, and I'd be even worse off. I just wanted Amazon to do what they said -- "Yes you are covered. We will back you." Well they weren't going to do that, although, and I'm just guessing, this wouldn't be financial strain on Amazon, and that their reputation was more important to them than that. I was so angry, I planned to send the camera back, but I cooled down and decided not to. It was a very good price, and in spite of a very frustrating problem, it works. At least it was a good price -- that is -- if it doesn't fall apart -- if it does it was a HORRIBLE price. I am still very disappointed in Amazon -- and hope this was an unusual event, but just be cautious.

let Amazon know this was not okay -- I didn't do a product search for warranties, Amazon automatically brought up the offer. If the camera had a problem down the line, I would have been under the ILLUSION THAT IT WAS COVERED. By the way I called Amazon to c
I think Amazon -- due to being very misleading on the warranty and how quickly the problem came up after the purchase -- should have covered the repair to the intermittent problem. To Amazon's credit they were willing to take the camera back, but NOT pay to have it fixed, even though they misled me into buying a useless warranty. In my frustration I was going to send the camera back, but decided to take the chance and keep it - the price was very good -- but if it the camera has an significant issue in the next year or two - then it was a horrible price. I hope Amazon stopped these warranties from automatically popping up for products that can't be covered. This review is linked to Smart Guard because you might be considering it for a product that isn't covered, unless Amazon got its act together on this. That the camera had a problem SO QUICKLY -- makes me extremely hesitant to buy from Amazon Marketplace in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary second look and opinion for Smart Guard., October 6, 2013
H Velez

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing my Review from bad to EXCELLENT, July 18, 2014
Earlier I gave a bad review to SmartGuard because I had not received information regarding the accident protection. I contacted Smartguard and their response to my problem was instant. They made good on getting the information to me. I'm very pleased with this quick response and am now giving them five stars for taking care of the situation in such a timely manner. Thank you Smart Guard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service, quick response, December 10, 2013
Received this plan and then a few days later had to return the camera it was for. Filed a request to return the protection plan and it was no problems they gave me a refund right away and cancelled the plan. I will use them in the future. Good customer service.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›