5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning.....
I finished reading the last page of Ben's book at 1:45 this morning.

In one word, I thought it was stunning.

Published on April 13, 2012 by Laurie

2.0 out of 5 stars Sugary Sweet but Somewhat Boring
What can I say about this book? Uh, definitely one of my least liked books I've ever purchased. Sorry to be so harsh. I truly apppreciate and have sympathy for Mr. Petrick's condition and what he's been through. I don't mean to belittle that at all. But looking at this book objectively,I simply couldn't keep reading. I wanted to be inspired but I found it to be...
Published 15 months ago by Tracie Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning....., April 13, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Kindle Edition)
I finished reading the last page of Ben's book at 1:45 this morning.

In one word, I thought it was stunning.

I originally purchased Forty Thousand to One because I, too, have been diagnosed with early on-set Parkinson's disease. However, it immediately became evident that this book is so much more than just another Parkinson's story or another baseball story. As Ben says in his introduction, "I'm all of us. We all get thrown sooner or later. Maybe it's a death, a divorce or a job loss. We all break. You've been slammed with a cold fist. You're on your knees. Believe me, I get it."

Ben goes on to recount his journey with both honesty and vulnerability sharing stories about his highest of highs - Hitting a double on his first at bat with the Colorado Rockies, "Forty thousand fans stood and cheered. That wall of sound was so dense you could've hung a picture on it. But I didn't smile. I thought moments like these would stretch on until I told them to stop."

To his lowest of lows - In a tribute to his father Ben writes, "He gave me wings and now I was falling from a very, very high place."

Ben's fall would be halted by the lessons learned from the unconditional love of a little girl who wanted and needed exactly what her dad had to give.

After reading this book, you will find yourself rooting for Ben for reasons that have little to do with baseball and everything to do with the strength and wisdom with which he is facing the adversity in his life. For those with Parkinson's, Ben provides a powerful example of how to live our lives with courage and optimism. For those with other challenges, read the book and you will find an ally for your fight. "Believe me, I get it."

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, March 25, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Kindle Edition)
This book was hard to put down. An amazing inspirational story about a young man dealing with raising a family, letting go of his baseball career, and dealing with Parkinsons disease. It will change your outlook on life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and Inspirational story about perserverence and hope. struggles and faith. strength and amazing courage., March 20, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most inspirational stories I have read. It was hard for me to put down.
It will give everyone some amazing perspective on lifes struggles. Ben is an amazing example of perserverence. His changing perspective on life and the approach he now takes with Parkinsons will give you pause to conemplate and think. He does not take anything for granted. From being an All Star caliber Major league baseball player, to struggling to get dressed or being "normal" and being a father and husband. He puts himself out there and gives everyone a great apprciation for the little things we all take for granted. not to mention the dreams and goals that can quickly and unexpecedly change in our lives. and his stories are fun, heart breaking, and motivatng and inspiring all at the same time. it's a book about dreams, faith and family.
this is told by a very grounded and humble guy, who has done many great things and inspired countless people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Tale, June 29, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Volume 1) (Paperback)
This book is an inspirational story that will give your life perspective. I watched Ben Petrick lead the Glencoe Tide to the Class 4A Oregon state football championship when I was in middle school. I watched his baseball career progress to the Bigs with keen interest as he was a local guy that made it, while always thinking that guys like him had it made. Ben tells his story of his rise to professional sports and his struggle to cope with a debilitating condition that threatened to take it all away. My takeaway from Ben's book is to put faith and family above all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Book, May 21, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Volume 1) (Paperback)
What a wonderful wake up call to anyone not appreciating the good things happening in their lives. Thank you Ben for sharing very personal parts of your life in order to help others. Once my wife and I picked up the book we couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific person, February 22, 2013
Ed R (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Kindle Edition)
I have read this book and found it inspiring. I know Vern Petrick, and have met Ben. This is a very special family. A perfect example of how to deal with lifes adversities. My grandsons will all read this book.My very best wishes, to Ben, as he continues down his life path.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 29, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Kindle Edition)
This is an amazing book by an amazing man. While the book talks about sports and Parkinson's, it is really a story about the power of parental love - the love that is so strong that you don't know it exists until you experience it. For those of us fortunate enough to have felt it from our parents, for our children, and from God, we know that it is a feeling beyond words. Many authors have written about it but none have captured it the way Ben does. While I know Ben's story, once I started reading his book, I didn't put it down until it was finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book. Great story., April 14, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Kindle Edition)
Ben Petrick tells an uplifting tale that puts life into proper perspective. Stricken with a debilitating disease when he was set to take the baseball world by storm, Ben must face his deepest fears and admit to his long ignored failures. Ben teaches us that life is grand, wether you are a globe-trotting baseball star or a stay at home dad. And he reminds us we are not great because of what we accomplish, we are great because we keep on trying; we are not great because others think we are great, we are great because of what we think.

Read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 20, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Kindle Edition)
This is quite a story. It appealed to me as a sports fan but encompasses much more in describing a nearly insurmountable challenge. The story is really well told and walks a fine line being neither pitiable nor self-congratulatory. Just an apparently good guy telling a remarkable story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forty Thousand to One, August 19, 2012
This review is from: 40,000 to One (Volume 1) (Paperback)
An amazing book about an amazing person. Helps you define what greatness is to each person. To any daughter....Daddy is perfect. As an avid Rockies fan, I always wondered what happened to Ben Petrick. Reading what he went through, I respect him so much more as a man than as the great athlete he was was before this disease took over his body.

40,000 to One (Volume 1)
40,000 to One (Volume 1) by Ben Petrick (Paperback - March 19, 2012)
$11.99 $11.39