4.0 out of 5 stars Won Over A Skeptic Like Me
This is a daily devotional based on the author's book, The 4:8 Principle: The Secret to a Joy-Filled Life (based on Philippians 4:8 in the Bible). The idea is to transform thoughts from negative to positive as the apostle Paul encourages believers to do in that verse.

Published 21 months ago by Books and Chocolate

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll get out of it what you put into it
How badly do you want to change your life?

During my "past life" in direct sales, I read countless self-help books. But I can tell you, reading a book is not going to change your life. Only YOU can do that, of course with God's help. My point to my prelude is this: Change takes effort, focus, a ton of hard work and a lot of prayer.

So, if you are...
Published 21 months ago by Victory Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll get out of it what you put into it, October 2, 2012
Victory Girl (Northwest Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life: Living the 4:8 Principle (Paperback)
How badly do you want to change your life?

So, if you are ready for some work, this book is a good start. In addition to the 40 daily life lessons and prayers, there is homework. This is where you can truly engage and really make some progress...or check out. The amount of effort you put into this will directly effect the reward. I found that most lessons and their homework took only about 10-20 minutes, and remembering the Thought of the Day helped to reinforce the earlier lesson.

All in all, I do believe that our thoughts can determine our outcomes and that God created us to be powerful, purposeful, and positive people. And just like anything else, our dreams and attitudes need some exercise from time to time. This book is a good workout.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I was provided with a free copy of this book by Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for my honest opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Won Over A Skeptic Like Me, October 7, 2012

I'm not naturally a "Pollyanna" type personality and confess that books like this tend to irritate me more than encourage me but I was pleasantly surprised as I read this one. The approach isn't a chirpy rah-rah speech every day (thank you, Mr. Newberry!) but rather takes a realistic approach to helping the reader discover a way to think more positively in specific circumstances while acknowledging that it doesn't come easily for most of us. I appreciated the "think this, not that" approach with suggestions I could comfortably embrace; things like thinking compassionate thoughts rather than harsh ones, bold instead of comfortable, serving instead of self-centered, victory instead of defeat, etc.

Each day offers a 2-3 page reading on a specific topic, followed by an application exercise, thought for the day, and a prayer. One reading that I especially appreciated was on Day 8: Stop Identity Theft. This devotional dealt with seeing ourselves in the positive light and truth of scripture and what God says about us rather than being defined by worldly influences. Other topics include Take a Vacation From Yourself, The Gift of the Present, Feeling vs. Fact, Harboring Gratitude, Whatever Your Hands Find to Do, to name a few.

I do like this devotional and look forward to continuing my journey through it. With Christmas coming up, this would be a great gift to give to friends and family.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher as part of their blog review program but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, October 2, 2012
Marie Layton (ORANGE CITY, FL, US) - See all my reviews
Great practical ways to apply God's principles of joy in our lives! If you read this book and do these exercises, you will train your mind to have the joy God wants you to have.
I loved the 4:8 Principle and it changed me in so many positive ways. I learned that my feelings always follow my thoughts, and I am in charge of what thoughts I dwell on. As I taught the book, I realized that some people who do bewtter with "hands on" learning had some difficulty making it stick. This book is perfect for them and anyone else who did not have the opportunity to read the first one. *****Awesome book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 40 Days...OOPS !, October 2, 2012
....So good - I read it in a day :(

You need this book....your friends need this book....AMERICA needs this book!

The power of positive thinking (and ACTION to achieve your goals) from a Biblical perspective. A MUST HAVE for success-oriented professionals that believe in themselves and want to build on the blessings in their lives.

The format is perfect for your 'morning ritual' - get fired up and make it happen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy is NOT an accident!, October 2, 2012
This book is filled with excellent encouragement and practical application. It is more than a "how to book for joy". It is a transformational tool for actually experinceing a joy-filled life. I found that simply taking the time to do the application excercises st the end of each day's reading (the "drills") proved to be a significant tool in a visible increase in my own personal joy level. This book delivers as promised and to take a phrase from one of Tommy Newberry's previous books, it proves "joy is not an accident"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got JOY?, October 5, 2012
Tommy Newberry has done it again! 40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life WILL change your life and the lives of others. The daily challenges, along with the thought-provoking ideas and examples, will bring a smile to your face and an excitement to your day. Joy is all around us, Joy is in each of us, Joy is a gift to be given and received. This amazing book will be something I use with my own clients. What are you waiting for? Go get some Joy in your life today and share Joy with others!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, October 2, 2012
Tommy Newberry's new book is one of the most life-changing books I've ever read. It's uplifting, encouraging, challenging, convicting - what more can I say? Don't just think about putting this book on your wishlist. Buy it now! You can't get started on the most important 40 days of your life too soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your days!, October 2, 2012
This is an incredible step by step process to changing the way you think. It's well written, thought provoking and encouraging. You will benefit greatly from this book. Every day is a 2-3 page lesson regarding overturning negativity and learning something important about the life God truly wants you to live. At the end of each chapter is an exercise designed to put this lesson into practice. They are practical and insightful. There is also a "sticky note" thought of the day you can replicate and stick on your computer, bathroom mirror or dashboard to remind you that change is deliberate.
This is the kind of book that can change your life! I highly suggest you buy a copy. You will thoroughly enjoy this journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Transform your thought life & don't let it cripple you anymore!, October 10, 2012
I have a history of being victimized and crippled by my own negative thoughts. Over-thinking and allowing damaging self-talk affects how we live and the quality of life. God knew this when He told us to take every thought captive, to renew our minds, and be thankful in all things. But practicing thought control has not been an easy task for me, so I was attracted to this book.

The cute happy face on the cover of the book might give the notion that this is a fluffy positive-thinking book with little depth, but it's not! The book is a companion to The 4:8 Principle, which I read a couple years ago, but either one can certainly stand alone. Basically, Newberry breaks down the same ideas in The 4:8 Principle into 40 short chapters of easily digestible chunks to help you absorb and exercise the concept of 4:8 thinking (based on Philippians 4:8 - Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy, think on these things).

While this book is biblically based, it is not filled with Scriptures and the name of Jesus is not prolific, so I wouldn't substitute it for another devotional. (Interestingly, The 4:8 Principle is more explicit in its Christian-ness.) I read the book in a few days from cover to cover, but now I want to assimilate the principles into my life, so I am currently reading it again and working through the exercises over the next 40 days. This book is a constructive tool to use in transforming your thought life. I am hoping that being a 4:8 thinker will become a more natural habit in my life as a result of the Holy Spirit working in me through this book.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for my honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars 40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life, October 8, 2012
40 Days to a Joy-filled Life: Living the 4:8 Principle is an easy read and quickly helps you to set your sights on finding JOY in your day. The key principle is to take time for yourself to spend some time with God. Tommy Newberry has offered a guideline for reconnecting your heart to what truly fills us with joy. The hard part will be to put this book down because once you start on this journey you won't want to stop!

40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life: Living the 4:8 Principle
40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life: Living the 4:8 Principle by Tommy Newberry (Paperback - October 2, 2012)
$14.99 $13.49