Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Style Name: 4-PackChange

on June 29, 2013
I was looking for some inexpensive bulbs for bedside lamps, so I didn't want a harsh type of light. I found these and so far have been happy with them.

Brightness: Because they are a bit dim, I'd say they're great for bedside use but in general you might want the option of a brighter light elsewhere in the room. On the box GE lists the range of 600-1049 lumens as "comfortable, inviting light". These bulbs are 840 lumens. In my experience it's light enough for, say, reading a book before falling asleep, but for doing your homework late into the night you'll probably want a brighter bulb.

Packaging: The bulbs came with adequate packaging to ensure they aren't likely to be broken in transit. However, I found them a little it difficult to remove from the box, and sometimes had to actually tear the retaining piece of cardboard off to remove a bulb. It's not a big deal for me, but someone with arthritis (for example) might have some difficulty.

The box says these bulbs are made in China. The word "China" is also stamped directly onto each bulb along with the other general information on wattage and lumens.

All in all not much to say about these bulbs. They do what you expect them to do and at $5.99 are a pretty good deal. Let me know if you found this info helpful!
0Comment60 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2012
Love these incandescent bulbs I can see clearly with these for both reading and working around the house. I don't have to worry about any dangerous and hazardous chemicals in my home to clean up if one breaks, and to depose of I can just throw it in the trash (not driving 10 miles to a special disposal locations).
99 comments81 of 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2012
In my experience, if you turn one of these on in a dark room, you will then be able to see the things in the room. I couldn't be happier.
55 comments102 of 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2013
These particular bulbs GE 48415 are stated on the packaging as being made in Europe and there must be something wrong with them because they burn out within days after first being used! You have now been warned!
11 comment19 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2014
These are not good light bulbs. Don't be fooled by the GE label. They are made in Eastern Europe and are junk. I bought a couple of cases in a panic -- the whole "we'll never be able to get these again!" thing at the end of 2013. What a mistake. These burn out in a matter of days; many did not work at all. Total rip off. The only thing that can be said in their favor is that if you absolutely must have 60 w incandescent bulbs and can't find them anywhere else, there'll be at least a few in the case of 48 that will work.
0Comment29 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
I was pretty excited when I got my case of incandescent bulbs so I could thumb my nose at those who would legislate them away from me. I screwed in the first bulb, pulled the lamp's chain and "BINK", it burned out. Hmm... it must be an anomaly. I replaced it with another and basked in the glow of the soft yellow light for about five minutes. "BINK" OK, I'm starting to see a pattern here. Third bulb provided illumination for an hour until I turned off the lamp. The next day when I turned it on, "BINK". This is annoying. Bulb four followed the same pattern as the first with a "BINK" as power is applied. The remaining bulbs were returned. What junk.
0Comment48 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 19, 2009
Well, I finally used up the last of the whale oil that I inherited from my great grandpappy, and I found that the only gadget giving off light in my house was this here computer monitor. But computer monitors are way too expensive to put in every room, so I went looking for another way to get light into my house at night.

For years I had marvelled at these strange looking socket type thingies with what look like screw threads, only bigger, sticking out of the ceiling of many of the rooms of my house. What were they for? I desperately started searching the Internet until I stumbled on these here "lamps". They look awful funny for lamps. My lamps are way bigger and have pedestals and openings for lighting the wicks, but not these. These are like bulbs, flower bulbs, but they supposedly give light. "Gee", I thought. Maybe they should be called "light bulbs". Just an idea.

So, I ordered a big box of these "lamps" and as soon as I got 'em I started screwing them into these funny socket things in my ceiling. Some of them went on as I got them screwed all the way in, and some only went on after I jiggled these little plastic things that stick out of many of the walls in my house. Guess I figured out what they're for too!

Anyhoo, now I've got light wherever I want it an whenever I want it. Some of my friends are into electrically generated light too, but they get their light from these piggy tail looking things. They're envious of the fact that my bulbs have much softer light and come on immediately and don't make strange buzzy noises. They're amazed to find out that when I accidentally break one of these new "lamps", I can just sweep it up and throw it away without worrying about the gas inside them. Maybe they should switch to these! Now that I have, I don't know what I'd do without them.
88 comments147 of 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
GE Soft White Long Life 60 Watt light bulbs are perfect for any lamp in your household that needs a 60 watt light bulb of medium strength. This light bulb burns brighter than a dimmed light bulb; and it is less harsh on the eyes than a light bulb of greater strength. The bulb lasts 1,500 hours--great value and efficiency! The glass is rather well constructed so that if you accidentally drop the bulb before you use it you just might save it from ruin, especially if you drop it onto a carpeted floor. A single light bulb lights a 10 foot by 10 foot room fairly well. Excellent!

Insert a new light bulb into the socket of the lamp (or whatever needs the light bulb) and screw it in until you feel that the bulb is snug and secure in the socket. Then turn on the lamp or whatever device you're using and--voilà! Your bulb works for the next 1,500 hours. That can be many months if you're careful with your energy bill.

The bulbs stay fresh for several months at least after you buy them; this is a great feature if you need to stock up on light bulbs for any reason. Obviously, these electric light bulbs must never go near water and or any other liquid. Dispose of them carefully so that any glass won't break and hurt anyone if they walk around barefoot in the house.

Overall, these 60 watt light bulbs by GE fit the bill very nicely. They are economical, easy to install and remove and they stay "fresh" for months after you purchase them. They take up very little room in any closet while you're waiting to use them, too.

I highly recommend these light bulbs for lamps or vanities that require 60 watt light bulbs.
0Comment16 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2013
Incandescent light bulbs will soon be a thing of the past due to the new laws. I'm really cheap so I've opted to keep buying them until "the man" forces me to start buying the new expensive bulbs. These arrived intact and work as advertised (i.e. they produce light when you screw them into something). Great value.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2013
each bulb died after two days...worse bulbs I have ever seen. I bought more at the supermarket for just a little over a dollar each and the first one I used is still going strong. Proving once again that a name product is not always as good as it used to be. Would not buy a GE product again.