1,329 Reviews

1,874 of 1,898 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine. Great value. Not fancy.
Published on January 31, 2011 by S. Eaton

1,164 of 1,212 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly "Heavy Duty"
Published on September 9, 2010 by sew_so

1,874 of 1,898 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Love this machine. Great value. Not fancy., January 31, 2011
This review is from: SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine with Metal Frame and Stainless Steel Bedplate (Kitchen)
I have a Pfaff quilters machine that died and needs parts. It is going to cost about double the cost of this machine to repair it. So I figured what the heck. I've been sewing since grade school in the 1960s and have used all sorts of machines. I also worked at a fabric store for a number of years. I have some advice for the beginner. Various reviews of this machine complain about some problems I thought I'd speak to here.

This is a nice little machine. Initially even I had trouble with it. Discovered that the threading instruction picture in the instruction book is a bit tricky. Don't forget to thread the little bracket that is above the needle. It is step 7 in the book, but not obvious in the picture and not obvious on the machine. The thread first goes through the fairly obvious metal holder in step six, then it needs to go in that little tiny bracket, a small piece of metal that is laying on top of the needle mount. If you don't thread that, the thread will ball up underneath and mess up your sewing and lock up. I suggest stopping at a Joann Fabrics where they sell this machine and ask someone to show you if you can't find it. that's what I ended up doing.

Also for the beginner, Singer machines in particular can also tangle the thread if you don't gently hold the ends at the beginning of a seam. Sometimes, it will pull the thread down into the bobbin area and lock up. This is solved simply by holding the ends for the first couple of stitches. Eventually, after you've had to rip out a few balled up seams, you remember.

I made a heavy vinyl pouch with it as my first project, and it handled the vinyl really well. The feeddogs struggled a bit with the weight of the fabric, pulling it out of line, so I had to put the weight of the fabric on a chair so it didn't pull. Another tip for the beginner, always stop the machine with the needle in the fabric. You do this by stopping and quickly turning the wheel to get that needle back in the fabric.

Another tip here to any new sewer. First take the original needle out of that machine and throw it away. You have no idea what kind of shape it is in. Open the packet of needles that are in the little door in the free arm and use a fresh needle. Sharp needles are critical to any project. And they only stay sharp for a few projects at most.

When you are working with heavy fabric like vinyl or denim, you need to use a heavy duty needle, especially if you are going through four layers of denim. Check them out at the fabric store. Get the type of needle that matches your type of fabric. If you are not sure, ask. And sew through the thick parts very slowly, sometimes you may need to manually insert the needle and pull it up to get through a lot of layers properly to get the machine going. Take your time.

Knits need different needles, sometimes, a ballpoint needle that passes between fibers instead of splitting them as you sew. Fine fabrics also need different needles and they must be very sharp.

Whenever the stitching balls up under your piece, it is likely because the top or bobbin is threaded wrong. Make sure the thread is coming off the bobbin with the loose thread pointing to the left. It can be a bad needle. It can be a tension problem or a bad match between needle and fabric. If the stitches seem really tight, the tension can be turned a half number either way and solve the problem, but only after you have ruled out the other problems. IT happens to the best of us so don't get discouraged. Imagine me going into my old store to have them show me how to thread a machine. : )

Beyond all that, I liked sewing with this machine. it is relatively quiet, and does sew fast. This will be great for doing piecing for quilts. It isn't the quality of my Pfaff, which is all metal (the skin of this machine is plastic) and doesn't have a lot of fancy stitches, but it is a great value for what it does do and does execute well for all I've done so far. And perfect for a beginner sewer, or someone who only needs a machine once in awhile to hem pants or take care of odd little projects or someone like me who was going through withdrawal when her machine dies and is going to take some time to get fixed.

1,164 of 1,212 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly "Heavy Duty", September 9, 2010
I purchased the Singer 4423 Heavy Duty because I wanted a more powerful replacement for my older but reliable Singer sewing machine. I wanted to able to sew a variety of projects using denim, canvas, leather, or other heavy fabrics with better results than what I was currently getting. I liked the simple design and straightforward operation of the 4423. It has a good selection of stitches (both functional and decorative) and some other nice-to-have features like adjustable needle position, automatic threader, and the one-step button hole which I was especially excited about. The other "Heavy Duty" Singers don't have these features.
When I started using it, the first thing I noticed was the less-than-stellar quality of some of the decorative stitches, but I figured that it wasn't really a big deal because I do a lot of hand embroidery and don't use those stitches that often. I decided to do a little "test project" on the machine: a zippered pouch with denim lining. The machine ran quickly and quietly on the pima cotton shell and putting the zipper in was a breeze. I was disappointed, however, with how poorly the machine handled the multiple layers of denim in the lining. It started knocking loudly and a few times stopped completely when sewing over a bulky seam, i.e. the feed dogs couldn't pull the fabric through. I rethreaded the machine, adjusted the stitch length, tension, and anything else I could think of that would be cause for "operator error". It didn't help. I guess the machine just isn't as powerful as they chalk it up to be.
I would recommend this machine as an excellent starter for a beginning seamstress. It's a bit more substantial than most of the other "entry level" machines but still has those nice features I mentioned earlier without a very big price tag.
For anyone who wants a TRUE heavy duty machine...this is not for you. I would recommend upgrading to a non-heavy duty machine in a better brand. That is, if you can afford it. I ended up buying a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118. 9 layers of denim, no problem! It was significantly more expensive than this Singer model, but for me, it's been worth the investment.
Hope this helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars Singer 4411, February 18, 2011
I am a self employed seamstress and I am very hard on machines, especially with hemming blue jeans and zippers in carhart coats and many other things. One thing I was looking for was an affordable product that was heavy duty. Singer is always a great brand and I watched videos on what this product can do, so I ordered it. Much to my dismay, I found that it wasn't any different than any other machine. Heavy Duty on this machine means nothing. It does do some of the things that they say but it does not go through all the layers of material that it says. Overall it is a fine machine, but it is not Heavy duty.

5.0 out of 5 stars My third Singer, May 23, 2011
I bought this little guy as a back up for my Singer Quantum 7350. I'm sew a lot of unusual fabrics and am more than a little hard on sewing machines. My daily sewing projects include costuming (vinyl, fur, etc); household uses (curtains, bedding); and formal wear. It never fails that when I'm approaching a deadline on a big project my sewing machine decides it needs to pay a visit to my friendly neighborhood sewing repair shop for a tuneup. It's about 10 years old now and if you saw what I put it through, you'd understand why. I've also dropped it twice.

I will admit, I don't actually expect this Singer to be a 'heavy-duty' machine. Not my definition of heavy-duty anyway. Not for this price. What I do expect is something that will be reliable, no frills, and hold up to my abuse. I think that's what I've got. It has only been three days and I have already made a monk's robe and caught up on my minor repair work. The needle had to be changed immediately. I don't know why, but sewing machines always seem to come with sub par, blunt needles. Once I had, it was humming along smoothly in minutes. It threads just like the other two Singers I've owned and sews a nice straight, tight stitch. It's also not as loud as some of the other reviews have said, but that may be just because I've always tended to go for the more basic, utilitarian models rather than fancy electronics and 100 stitch patterns that I'll never use and am used to a little noise when I sew.

All in all, I'm very pleased so far. I'll update this review if that changes! Happy sewing ladies and gents.

UPDATE (August 29th 2011): I might have to eat my words about this not really being 'heavy duty.' I sewed quite a bit of light to medium weight leather this past weekend and it didn't so much as hiccup. Bravo Singer!

(Be sure to use the right type of needles if you plan on doing this. Universal needles will not perform well with leather no matter how tough the machine. :))

5.0 out of 5 stars love this machine!, November 5, 2010
I had the singer simple, which broke down after only 2 years. I purchased this machine because I was looking for a sewing machine that was faster & hopefully better made. I stuck with the Singer brand since I have a lot of accessories & didn't want to buy everything all over again. I have to say this machine is very fast (compared to the Simple) and quiet. I love seeing the bottom bobbin so I know when I need to respool. Threading the machine is the same on the top thread, but the bottom is different. It is actually easier. There are more thread sewing patterns than the Simple. It also has a nice feature on the top where the top spool can be used in a vertical position, instead of always horizontal. I like to free-hand quilt, and it is just a dream. If you dont' want to spend a ton of $$ on a sewing machine, I would highly recommend this machine. For the price, it is just perfect! I just hope it lasts longer than my Simple :)

2.0 out of 5 stars 3 month update. VERY unhappy with this machine. 2 stars at the most!, April 6, 2011
I first wrote a glowing 5 star feedback for this machine, but within 3 months, I was fit to be tied with this machine. I sew for a living and have been sewing for over 40 years, so I know sewing machines and can normally figure out a problem and resolve the issue. However, with this machine, I started experiencing so many problems, there was no solution.. I've listed some of the problems below.. However, I want to give a thumbs up to Amazon, because when I contacted them to tell them of all the problems I've experienced, they told me they would make an exception to the 30 day return policy and will accept this return. Thank you Amazon!

3 MONTHS LATER: I am so dissapointed in this machine. After a month of use, it started having little problems here and there. Nothing I couldn't live with, but within a few more weeks, it just started having major problems. I have continual bobbin tangling, even though I use good quality thread, needles and the correct bobbins. I have a mess of thread at pretty much every new seam..looks horrible and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it. The thread somehow slips out of thread station #5 often, which then creates a mass of tangled, messy stitches on whatever I'm sewing. The thread station located just before the needle also comes unthreaded all the time for no apparent reason. The self threading needle worked until the first time I changed the needle, and now the self threader will no longer line up with the eye of the needle. I've tried readjusting the needle, changing to other brands, tried the replacement needles that came with the machine, nothing will now line up with the threader.. The pressure foot peddle pops off at any given time, usually while I'm sewing. I've NEVER had a machine do that before. The zig zag stitches and decorative stitches are never consistant. I started writing down the perfect settings for each stitch so I would always know exactly where to set the machine for each stitch. It doesn't matter because the stitches are never the same! Sometimes they're loose and large, sometimes tight, sometimes just a mangle messed that destroys whatever I'm sewing on... The machine "eats" my fabric every now and again, which means I have to ease the fabric out of the feeder plate carefully in order to save the fabric. The stitching occassionally just starts puckering or is so loose it starts gathering. The thread cutter is already very dull and it's like sawing the thread to get it to cut.

This machine may have metal guts, but the mechanics of it do not work correctly. I was looking for a machine to last years and years, and this is not that machine. When are these sewing machine company's going to get a clue and stop producing these machines made from the cheapest parts available and start building quality machines that are built to last?? I'm about ready to get out my 1954 Brother Sewing Machine and say good riddence to these newer machines once and for all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine, November 21, 2010
I was able to find this sewing machine at Joanne's for about $140.00. I was looking for a sewing machine that would be easy to use and learn with, since I am new to sewing, and I want to start making my own clothing.

Appearance: I have to admit that what I love about the initial design is how different it looks from other sewing machines. I love the matte grey finish on the exterior, and I love how angular the design is.

Cost: This is a great price for a beginner. I was originally going to purchase something for twice as much, but I figured since I am learning, I would want something durable as well as cost effective. Also, the features for this machine are very nice compared to the price.

Features: I have to say, although it's pretty standard, I love the needle threader the most. I was not looking forward to spending five minutes attempting to get the thread through. The rest of the features are quite standard. My friend owns a Singer Simple and the speed this machine has compared to Simple is amazing. However, it's difficult finding a good pace. The second I press my foot down just a little bit, I feel like the fabric is running away from me.

Reliability: I just purchased this product, but I have faith that it will last for years. I did a lot of research and of course a major need in anything we purchase is how long it will last. Because I will be sewing as a hobby and for making clothing, I need something that will be with me for the long haul. I will update if anything goes wrong but if I don't, that means this product is running as it should.

Weight: This machine is quite heavy, and I was surprised by its weight the second I picked it up. It's not unbearable, and I was able to haul it around but not comfortably for very long. I plan on moving my machine to and from my friend's house as we are learning together. But it doesn't affect how much I really enjoy this machine.

Overall, I think the affordability, features, and appearance of this product make it worth the purchase for someone beginning to learn. And from the amount of research I've done on the product, it can also withstand the test of time for those who are advanced sewers as well.

UPDATE 6/13/2011

I have owned this sewing machine for a little over five months now, and I only have two words: buy it. For the price, it's an unbelievable find. Great design quality, perfect if you're just learning, and suitable for a few heavy duty sewing. If you want to learn how to sew, this is definitely the sewing machine to get. It's easy to learn with and it just simply works. It's a rarity that I have a problem with it. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fills the Gap I Intended, January 16, 2011
I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. So, my expectations were not very high when I made this purchase. I purchased this machine for a specific purpose....to take to the multiple sewing groups that I participate in. I needed the machine to do one thing....sew a good quality straight stitch, and I was not disappointed. I already own two electronic sewing machines that do everything I need them to do, but I did not want to keep putting my good machines at risk by constantly moving them and subjecting them to the elements when traveling to and from the many groups I sew with.

This machine reminds me of my first machine I received when I was in the 7th grade from Montgomery Ward. This machine does exactly what I wanted it to do. The stitches are even, the tension is perfect right out of the box and setup was fairly simple. The machine is not very heavy which is good for transport, but is heavy enough that it doesn't bounce around the table when you're sewing, even at full speed.

I have had the machine for about a week and have already pieced a twin sized quilt with no problem. The machine is louder than I expected it to be but I guess I'm just used to quieter electronic machines. As long as it continues sewing a straight stitch without any problems, I will be a happy camper. Amazon had the best price and I am completely satisfied with the purchase so far. However, I'm glad I didn't pay the [...] regular price or [...] sales price that JoAnn's sells it for. The [...] Amazon price was perfect.

Bottom line is that this is a great beginner machine and I have no doubt that it will give me years of good service.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE SINGER PRODUCTS, January 10, 2011
Have been sewing since I was 8 years old and have owned Singer sewing machines. Purchased this new for my mom, who is 90 years young. Love this machine because it is heavy duty, sews 1100 stitches per minute and is easy for her to operate. I own tnree Singer sewing machines, and two sergers. My mom loves hers and quilts on it almost every day. Shopped around and found that Amazon offered the best price for this product. If you are looking for a great machine..easy to operate, has weight to it, suggest you purchase this one from AMAZON, of course. I definitely will be purchasing from them again...

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty? Maybe Utilitarian? Definitely, May 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Introduction

A lot of people want a sewing machine to hem jeans and denims. They aren't quilting, they aren't making fine tailored blouses, they are just doing home alterations because pants are very long these days. So, does this machine live up to it's billing as heavy-duty? Let's see!

Note: If this review gets a bit long for you, skip to the bottom: I usually put a quick summary at the end.

What You Get

This machine is made of plastic housing with metal here and there (like the metal bed plate under the throat) and it's an interesting shade of Army Khaki to indicate strength, I suppose. It's blocky-looking and the control knobs are large and easy to use. Even the bobbin cover is thicker gauge plastic. So is the spool cap--it's denser and has a metal disk inside rather than being a light plastic disk to sit on top of the thread spool. The threader is also metal (mostly, these are plastic on sewing machines.) I have to confess, it's a cute machine, in the same way a boxer dog is cute. The color and the blocky design and the metal are kind of Steampunk Goes Army.

There is an accessory box (the pull-down drawer kind) with accessory feet inside. Remove this and you have a free arm.

It has a two-step presser foot (lift up past the detent to allow for thicker fabric. But it won't take six layers of denim--and it won't sew that many either. More on that later.) To adjust the pressure of the foot, there is a screw adjustment on the top that can be turned with a coin to add or release pressure.

There are 32 stitches, accessed by turning the knob to various settings. Width of the stitch is set on a dial on top.

There are some accessory feet--a one step buttonhole foot, a zipper foot, button sewing foot, seam guide, regular zigzag foot. A seam ripper is also included that has a brush on one end, to remove lint from the bobbin case and feed dogs.

The feed dogs drop down with a button on the back of the free arm.

Results:

The machine is easy enough to set up and use; plug in the power and foot pedal cable and thread the machine. Wind the bobbin on the top. The bobbin doesn't wind very evenly (but none of them really do...this one gathered at the bottom of the bobbin. I just regulate the feed with my finger to make sure it winds evenly. This seems to be common among bobbin winders on machines.)

The machine is NOISY. Clump clump clump. If that is annoying to you, you can sew on a rubber bath mat to dampen the sound.

The speed is very good; it is 30% faster than my Janome. The straight stitch is about as even as they are these days.

The decorative stitches are so-so; the triple stitch (good for jeans and top stitching) is excellent, the pin stitch (for applique) and the feather stitch are ok, too. The satin style stitches (rick-rack stitch, scallop) and smocking stitches are not very dense, even on the most close-packed stitch setting, and there is no satin stitch foot (with a space underneath to pass over thicker stitching.

My tension was spot-on, right out of the box. I didn't have to adjust it at all.

I sewed on a button; this is probably best for shirt buttons.

The buttonhole foot is a standard one-step with a space for the button and a pull-down lever to interlock with the foot to regulate the length and direction. In order to make this work, you have to remember to push back the pull-down lever's tab before starting, and grab the upper thread as you start stitching. Out of the gate, my right side stitches were spaced too widely; there is a screw on the side of the machine that you can adjust with a coin or the screwdriver.

The buttonhole was a bit wonky and stubborn with closely spaced stitches (Tight satin stitch.) I was testing this on the same washed jeans denim, considering that is the fabric many people will want to be sewing on. The feed dogs dont' work well in tight satin stitch in the buttonhole. The buttonhole was easier when I chose more widely spaced stitches.

The machine can handle four layers of men's Levi's denim (I cut an old pair of men's jeans to try this out.) It squealed a bit, hummed at me and complained a bit, but it sewed it. Six layers were right out. It stopped in its tracks.

The manual is English on one page, French and Spanish on the opposite page. It's very basic. But acceptable.

Concerns:

This machine really is not a quilters' machine. I tried some free motion and it wasn't so easy.

The thread cutter is absolutely, positively oriented in the wrong way. The blade is at the top, so you swing the threads up and over and then down to cut. The blade SHOULD be oriented horizontally and back; you bring the threads back and then towards you and cut. This cutter always take several tries to get the thread up and then down onto the blade. Bad design. This was annoying! All they had to do was rotate it 90 degrees. This sounds trivial, but it's annoying on a task you do very frequently.

The bobbin wanted to grab threads. When I stopped sewing a seam and raised the needle, then pulled out the thread, a second thread kept getting in a loop from the bobbin. It didn't jam, but it wasn't quite right. This seems to be a problem with loose winding of the bobbin by the winder. I rewound and solved this issue.

The machine struggles with any decorative stitch or buttonhole in tightly spaced stitches (ie, satin stitch). Either it isn't as tight as you'd want to see, or it doesn't feed well past the feed dogs. I will try a specific satin stitch foot to see if this improves it, but as the machine is set up, it is only middlin' with this application.

The presser foot ankle was not square or doesn't look square on the presser bar and I tried remounting it with the screw but it was just crooked. A bit unnerving. Didn't affect the sewing, apparently.

I've heard less than favorable remarks about dealing with customer service on the phone. People report long waits and unsatisfactory conversations about the warranty--essentially, if it's under warranty, you ship it back at your expense, and if it's out of warranty, you are out of luck. It's viewed as a "low end" machine but it's priced twice what you could pay for a machine and still get no better quality. You could pay a 20 pct more and get a better machine from some other makers who are reported to have better quality reputations and customer service. Singer recently was taken over by SVP (which stands for Singer-Viking-Pfaff) and is manufactured in Shanghai.

SUMMARY

This machine is heavy duty within reason and does many useful tasks and would work for someone who wants to alter their jeans, do basic sewing, applique on clothing, some decorative stitching and some mending. It's mechanical, so there is less to go wrong. Much of the machine is metal construction and it stitches very fast (1,100 stitches per minute, compared to the Janome Decor for example, at 860 stitches per minute.) It isn't as good on tight satin stitches and tight buttonholes. The thread cutter is not designed well. The needle threader IS designed well and is one of the best and simplest I've seen.

Who Would Like This Machine?

Young sewists would like it. It's easy to use. The knobs are large and easy to turn.

Men would like it (it looks very masculine in color and shape and sound. Whirr Whirr Clump Clump! Zippy-fast.)

People who mend jeans or alter their jeans--does a good job and you can do funky applique, patches and decorative stitches with the 32 stitches available. The triple stitch works for top stitching on jeans.

Someone who wants a back-up, utility machine for heavier tasks or to take around when traveling; it's not light as some machines but it has a good sturdy carry handle on top.

Who Wouldn't Like This Machine?

Quilters (not smooth enough for free motion, in my opinion.)
Decorative and "hand-sewing" crafter, who do smocking and use a lot of the decorative stitches on their machine.
Someone who would prefer the features of an electronic (computerized) sewing machine.

End Remarks: This machine functions well but it's not as smooth as the Janome Magnolia, which would compete with it. It's fast and it looks nice and I was able to get it to do all of the promised functions except tight satin stitches. I do not know how durable it is, and it's a budget machine, which these days means in the two-hundred range. I'm going to recommend it with reservations noted.

Rate and Discover Movies