1,141 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality filter
I bought this filter for my Canon 50mm f/1.4. The 50mm lens consistently gives me my top images so I wanted a good quality filter for it. My main goal here is protection of my lens, but at the same time I wanted something that didn't degrade my images. I usually get lower quality filters but this time decided to splurg for the expensive one.

My first...
Published on August 28, 2007 by T. Keidl

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful about this product from Amazon
I paid a great deal of money for this filter considering the wide range of lower priced ones available and on top of it I purchased it from Amazon directly in order to be assured I received what I was paying for. In this case it appears that I received a used filter for the price of a new one. It came in what appeared to be new retail box, but upon opening it the...
Published 10 months ago by Angele Florisi

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality filter, August 28, 2007

My first impression was that this thing actually has some weight to it. It feels like you're actually getting something. When you pick it up, you can really notice a difference in lower quality filters (I usually bought Hoya or something from Best Buy in the past). This is well built.

Second impression is that this filter is *crystal* clear. My other filters are not as noticeably clear as this.

Now, when I have taken photos with this, I have still gotten the nice crisp clear shots I normally got with my 50mm. So it's protecting the lens and keeping my shots clear--exactly what I want from it. You may get exactly the same with a cheaper filter, I didn't try anything else. All I can tell you is that this filter delivered.

Also, I don't think I saw it listed in the specs, but this is the MRC model (meaning Pro grade).

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought a filter was just a filter--I was wrong!, February 14, 2008
I have always used Hoya filters because I thought they were a good value--which they are! However, I have always found Hoya filters difficult to clean. I just purchased my first B+W filters and now I plan to replace all my other filters with B+W filters. Yes, they are more expensive, and I thought the reviews were over-inflated and perhaps a little snobish. I am now a beliver! The quality of the filter construction is unmatched and they can be thoroughly cleaned without any smudges in under a minute. The photo quality is excellent as well! I love this product and it is certainly worth the extra money in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars You should have one of these on all your quality lenses!! All my Canon L glass has them!, November 27, 2007
If you have quality glass, like the Canon L series, then you need quality filters. the B+W are made from ground optical glass, not a piece of plain glass like as you see in the tiffen and hoyas filters (even the expensive ones are still cheap grade glass). Only B+W and Heliopan put the time and $$ into making filters that are designed to be used with your quality lenses and not distort and reduce the optical quality of them. I have a Heliopan as well, and I prefer the B+W a little bit more as its a brass ring and not aluminum and thus does not bind up as easy, and thats important when you want to change filters quickly! If you use a cheap filter on a pro grade lens, you are wasting your money, on the lens and the filter as the filter just hurt your image quality, and thus you lowered the quality of your lens! In filters, like lenses, you get what you pay for!!!

I shoot in all kinda of weather conditions, from sunny and warm, to windy and cold or snowy, and I have never had any major issues with any of my B+W filters acting up! I prefer the MRC, but even their entry level one is ground glass, so you still get a great quality filter at that price point.

You need a UV filter on all your lenses, as it helps to protect your front element, as I have seen many lenses saved when bumped or dropped by the UV filter. If you are outdoors shooting or around kids or food at all, you have to have a UV filter no matter what! The B+W does not degrade your optical quality from a quality pro-series lens, like a Canon L Series, where a lower grade window glass filter would, like all the Tiffen, Hoys, etc. Even the Canon filters are not ground glass, and thus why I dont use them! Just be aware if you are using good filters, you can't blame a bad image or blurry shot on the glass or filter then, you will have to own up to actually taking a bad picture every once and a while... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars great filter, May 27, 2005
this is a wonderful filter.

clean your front element, place this filter on it, and now you never have to think about it again. the thread fit is very good on both ends of it.

the canon 67mm cap fits on the front of this filter perfectly. there's even a slight raised metal lip so that the cap doesn't sit against the filter glass.

well engineered, and worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Glare!, January 30, 2010
Ryan E. Duncan (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
I have always used protective filters on my lenses. I had been a loyal Tiffen user for a long time but for the past couple years I felt the quality of some of their filters had been bad.

Recently I purchased a new lens and ordered the Tiffen UV Protector per usual. Unfortunately, I immediately noticed that my images had really bad glare in low light situations. I knew Tiffen had better quality (or supposed)filters so I "upgraded" to their Digital Ultra Clear protective filter but got the exact same issues...I had really bad glare in low light.

After some research and recommendations from other people I found B+W MRC filters. I purchased this filter and immediately put it on my lens when it came in. After several test shots (I have a room in my house that could reliably generate the same glare with the Tiffen filters) I could not find any glare at all!!!

Lesson learned...multi-coated is the way to go and even though they are higher priced...B+W MRC are very good quality that will not impact image quality.

Do NOT put cheap filters on your lenses...I used to and will never again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great filter, does NOT vignette at 18mm DX..., August 22, 2009
I needed a good quality filter for my Nikon 18-200 DX lens. At first I was convinced by one of the other reviewers that this would vignette on my lens, so I looked into the 'slim' version of this filter. The slim version doesn't have any front threads however, so that was out.

I work at a camera shop, so today I went in and threw this filter on an 18-200 on a D300. No vignetting. Simple as that. I went outside and took several test shots of the overcast sky, blank walls, etc. both with and without the filter and could not tell the difference. This is good news because I want this filter but also still want to be able to use my Nikon lens cap. Maybe the other guy was noticing the natural falloff that tends to happen with any zoom lens this wide...

FYI: I checked this filter with a polarizer stacked on top of it and that setup DOES vignette at 18mm. This is easy to fix as all you have to do is remove this filter and then attach the polarizer, but that may annoy some people.

5.0 out of 5 stars B+W UV-Haze 1X MRC filter, December 24, 2007
Purchased the 58mm version of this to protect the lens on a Cannon S5 IS (I am of the old school of protecting lenses). The construction is as solid as a rock and the filter element is crystal clear. I went with the B&W because of the brass outer ring. This filter will mate to an aluminum Lensmate adapter (highly recommended). Aluminum to aluminum can seize. Aluminum to plastic will bind (under certain conditions) but brass does not have that interactive problem under normal (non-maritime) conditions. Therefore, this filter can buffer between the Lensmate adapter and anything I want to screw into the female threads of this filter. Brass and B+W are a good thing (so Martha would say).

5.0 out of 5 stars No Glare!, January 30, 2010
Ryan E. Duncan (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews

Recently I purchased a new lens and ordered the Tiffen UV Protector per usual. Unfortunately I immediately noticed that my images had really bad glare in low light situations. I knew Tiffen had better quality (or supposed)filters so I "upgraded to their Digital Ultra Clear protective filter but got the exact same issues...I had really bad glare in low light.

Do NOT put cheap filters on your lenses...I used to and will never again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Product, May 18, 2007
If you are using a $1200 lense, you want a filter that won't distort. B&W makes highly superior filters. You'll pay a little more for this filter but you'll never have to worry about the quality. I purchased mine to protect the lense from wind blown sand and possible bumps. I've been more than please with my photos with this filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best UV filter..do not buy non-coated filters, October 5, 2009
Bought this filter after loosing some great shots to haze & reflection even after using the Tiffen 52mm UV Protection Filter. I bought the Tiffen 52mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit since it is very low-priced and I was a novice in the DSLR photography. After using those filters for more than an year, I was of opinion that UV filter doesn't work, till someone told about the multi-reflective coating filters. And B+W is the best in this. These are certainly expensive but worth the money spent. I have seen the difference myself on comparing the Tiffen & B+W filters at same place on same camera settings. You can see my pictures in the customer images here.

This filter has a very sturdy construction and provides an awesome picture quality. Need I say more..???

Rate and Discover Movies