5.0 out of 5 stars 4D CityScape Puzzle

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, needs some work
Published on July 19, 2011 by mom2greatkids

5.0 out of 5 stars 4D CityScape Puzzle, December 12, 2009
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
I am certainly not into puzzles but this one takes the prize as the most fun and geographically interesting puzzle i've ever seen and put together; It does take a lot of effort to string together all pieces of the puzzle, specifically the bottom first layer and the final 120 buildings layer, but i imagine that's what puzzles are for. I became so engrossed with it towards the end of assembling the bottom layer that i ended up having a "puzzling" marathon session that lasted for 8 1/2 hours of non-stop, head-breaking matching pieces and final assemblage, almost an act of obsession !
The detail of the pieces, particularly on the tiny buildings, was rather surprising and amazing, considering their size and the price of the item.
One recommendation that i found very useful and not mentioned in the manual is to get a base (wood, plastic, etc) large enough to serve as the assembly base, as there are so many small pieces in this puzzle, so many buildings and assorted detailing, that you might as well have a base to display the end result permanently, or at least until the puzzle is fully put together and ready to be transferred to a more permanent location.
A few minor disappointments were the fact that the Metropolitan Museum building is not included in the puzzle (arguably the biggest tourist attraction in New York City and major historic building), the detailing on the bridges, compared to the detailing on all the 120 buildings, is non-exhisting, and the same can be said about the World Trade Center Twin Towers, which the manufacturer decided to include with the puzzle as well as having their own places on the final assembled puzzle, even though they don't exist any longer.
Overall, a highly recommended item; Just be prepared to become unwittingly obsessed with finalizing the puzzle and have some water or other liquid handily available, or like myself you might end up dehidrated in blissfull obsessiveness !

4.0 out of 5 stars A Creative and Fun Puzzle for Adults, December 31, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
Although this puzzle has some design/manufacture weaknesses, I must say I really enjoyed it. It has 2 layers--the bottom layer shows major streets in Manhattan, with buildings outlined in their locations. The second layer is an overlay with cut-outs for the plastic buildings that are included. The problem is that the puzzle is printed on a foam backing, which makes each piece rather maleable and because most are cut in the same basic shape, most pieces will fit with any other piece. You have to be very conscious of the color shades and fine details of the picture in order to get it right. When I got the edges finished, I found that I had one side 28" long and the opposite side was 24" long. I don't think this is a puzzle for children or people with poor vision. The 126 plastic buildings/bridges each has a very tiny number on the bottom. You have to use a magnifying glass (one is included) to see the numbers, which correspond to the name of the building on a chart. Three or four of the buildings didn't have a number, but that was no problem--at the end you could see where each one fit. I wrote the number on each piece with a fine Sharpie, and then we sorted them by the date they were built (according to a chart that's included). We started placing the buildings chronologically, so that we could see the city grow. I wanted to improve my knowledge of NYC, and this puzzle was helpful. And it was really fun to do. This is a very creative and enjoyable puzzle that will help you learn about a great city.

5.0 out of 5 stars The city comes alive in 4D!, November 3, 2012
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
A beautifully made puzzle of New York City. All the pieces are well made and I really like the fact that the WTC twin towers are included so you can choose to display with the former twin towers or with the new WTC towers, or maybe even both! Its just cool that you can display the skyline with the new WTC complex which won't even be ready in real life by 2015. With this puzzle, you can get a sneak peek at how the skyline will look with the new WTC towers. Very nice touch and the puzzle won't be outdated for a long time.

The first layer of the puzzle is really tricky, challenging at the same time. The second layer which are foam filled puzzle pieces are much easier to assemble since some of the foam parts comes pre-assembled. The final layer are of course the buildings and its pretty straightforward from then onwards. It took me about 2 days to complete the entire puzzle and the end result was well worth it! They have other 4D puzzles, but I think this one of New York is one of their best!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, needs some work, July 19, 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
My son received this as a Christmas present and is just now getting around to putting the puzzle together. I agree with several other comments that the foam first and second layers are difficult to work with. Many of the pieces will fit with each other and unless you have spectacular vision errors can and will be made. When you get to the actual buildings, which is the most exciting part of the puzzle, more frustration will occur. On the bottom of each building is a very tiny number, so tiny that you need a magnifying glass to see it. Don't fret one is included but if you wear glasses, have a glare or any number of things, this tiny number will be very difficult to find. And no the number is not in the same place on each piece nor is it the same size.
This puzzle looks great completed but the sheer frustration to get there may not be worth it. I don't think we will be purchasing any more of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique puzzle that looks great when finished, December 23, 2010
Lee Hawley (Bellingham, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
We just finished the New York Puzzle - we stayed up until well past midnight the other nighe working on it.

My mother and I had a blast with it - she's never been to NYC and we never buy puzzles! We are going to take it apart and give it to my aunt and cousins to put together.

I bought a second puzzle of NYC as a Christmas gift for a friend and am going to order a puzzle of Chicago for myself.

What a great product ! ! ! If you like a bit of a challenge or like NYC, you won't be disappointed.

The glow-in-the-dark feature makes makes it possible to view the city as it might be at night with traffic on the streets. Maybe they should make parts of the buildings luminescent so it will look like they are lit up at night, also?

I hope they will make puzzles of San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. Maybe Houston, and Dallas, also - or a larger map of NYC that includes parts of the boroughs?

Positives: Lots of pieces, challenging enough for an adult, and different from other puzzles. Also, the finished product looks really neat - you may not want to take it apart.

Opportunities: Some of the puzzle pieces are not uniquely die cut so you have to experiment a bit to ensure you have the right piece in some cases - but this just adds to the challenge in a positive way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but needs ALOT of improvement, December 28, 2012
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
I bought this product for myself because last year I visited New York for the 9-11 10 year memorial service. I think it is a great learning tool and it is enjoyable to put together.......for this I give it a 5-star rating. I think it needs major improvement to put together........for this I give it a 1-star rating.......but I still decided to give it a 2 star rating because I dont like the way it is designed.

There are numbers printed on the bottom of each building, and it is next to impossible for anyone to read with the eye alone.......you need a magnifying glass to see the printed number in order to identify the building/piece you are holding. The box came with no magnifying glass, so I had to go to a store just for a magnifying glass. (Toronto 4D puzzle had a magnifying glass). And even WITH a magnifying glass, there were SEVEN buildings I STILL could not identify because of sloppy imprint stamping that was just unreadable.

The second problem I encountered was the following: On the map there were printed TWO #56 buildings. The holes for the two #56 spots were different sizes and so I COULD distinguish which empty space the building went into. But the real problem was that I didnt know which other building went into the other #56 empty space. When I came to building/piece #76......there was no identifying #76 on the map. So....all that to say this.....at the corner of West 59th St. and Park Ave. is #56......this is where building/piece #76 should go......so remember that if you have that problem.

Ok.....now for the fun stuff. Here are some pointers that I am going to give. It seems like some people would have some common sense on putting jigsaw puzzles together, but common sense isnt common. ANYWAY.................Buy some puzzle glue!!! After finishing the first layer, apply puzzle glue to the puzzle and let dry before beginning the second layer. Or, you could begin the second layer apart from the first, and then move it on top of the first layer after it dries. Confused yet? No? Good....After you complete the second foam layer, apply glue to that as well. But this time, glue it down to the first layer as well......paying attention to the edges of the foam and making sure that all edges are glued down to the base layer. This also goes for ALL 4D Cityscape puzzles too! Once it dries, start putting in your buildings! Some buildings will require a touch of superglue to stay in the foam and to be more secure. Tall, skinny buildings are going to be less stable, so squirt a little superglue into the hole and then place the building in the space.

Lasty, and sadly, there is a gaping hole were the World Trade Center once stood. You would think.......that the makers of this product would make two additional pieces to fit into the empty squares. I think I have a solution to this problem-----I havent done this yet, but I am going to try it and hope it works out. I think it will. The World Trade Center buildings that were taken out can be used. I plan on cutting off the very top of both buildings.....to the same thickness of the foam layer. Then I will turn it upside down and paint the inside of it blue. These will serve as the new waterfalls that exist currently. Then just place in the spaces. I think that is a great idea!

U P D A T E : I was able to do something alot better than going through the trouble of cutting the two buildings. I went to Michaels craft store and after intensive searching for the right thing to use, I was able to find a package of small mosaic glass tiles. I found a package of different assorted colors including blue for the water. The tiles were just the right size and having superglued them in the empty spaces......it looks really nice now and looks just like it should in a model.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4D Cityscape New York City., February 10, 2011
A Kid's Review
I would have to say this puzzle Is super cool and is worth the buy with its 126 plastic replicas of the buidings. Sure New York City has 900 buidings, but it's awesome! You can build Times Square,Rockefeller Center and you can see little billboards though they don't have anything on them. You still see them, trust me I have it. Now the puzzle itself (not counting the raised land has 546 pcs and the raised land has 45 pcs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 19, 2010
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
I got this for my son and he loved it. He loves manhattan and this made him crazy. The puzzle was fun to put together and highly detailed. The glow in the dark streets were good too but how ever the buildings would not glow. Also the map of manhattan was messed up. But still recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars cool puzzlw, May 31, 2010
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
got this for our 10 year old daughter who loves jigsaw puzzles. very cool, good teaching tool as it presents new york skyline during various decades, including proposed freedom tower.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this puzzle!, February 4, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle (Toy)
My family got this puzzle over the holiday as a gift. The teen ager and the 9 year old both loved working it together and my husband and I had to muscle our way into the fun. We live in Manhattan and it was great fun to see our city come together over the steps of history before our very eyes. It was quite poignant when we put the World Trade Towers in and then 10 minutes later took them out. The foam back is a bit funky to work with and the scale of the city is seriously squished to accomodate the design but we all loved putting it together and admiring our work. Can't wait for the next city to build.

4D New York City Skyline Time Puzzle