Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 4GB Console forum

4GB vs 250GB

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 221 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 3:46:43 PM PST
Jay R. Wesa says:
The 4 GB model has 4 GB of built in flash memory. If you are not okay with that you can add a 16 GB USB flash drive or two. If you are not okay with that you can add a 250 GB hard drive in the open hard drive compartment because there is NOT a 4 GB hard drive in there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 1:37:21 PM PST
Kilibreaux says:
Actually, it's $116 more as of this writing. Considering the "time-value" of money, and the propensity for electronics ot come down in price, PLUS the FACT one can pick up a used, or close-out priced 1st gen HDD for substantially less and use it, I'd saying buying the console with the 250Gb installed is actually NOT the automatic deal so many seen to think. Anyone (many of us) who already have 1st gen consoles can simply transfer our current HD's over with minimal effort...so why not.

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 2:06:04 PM PST
Danysay says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 1:31:00 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 7:39:33 AM PST
Alex says:
I purchased the 4gb leggo(?) Xbox from B.B. for the 199 price and paid them another 50 for a two year warranty(not sure if that was a good move)? I was debating wether to return it and buy the 250.
I got a lot of good information from above email threads and it seems like the 4 will be enough for me to insert disk and just play games, loading disk and startuo time doesnt bother me.
My question is how do I save all my hard earned game saves to the new 4gb?
I also see on the B.B. web site that they sell refurbished 360's for just 129 with a 90 day warranty. Someone wrote they thought they installed larger fans in the refurbished to prolong the red ring delema. They have some good reviews from those buyers. I was thinking all I have to do is insert my 20gb HD and away I go. Any suggestions

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 5:04:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2010 7:53:25 AM PST
Roderick says:
Well, today I purchased a 4GB Xbox 360 Slim after reading all posts and I must say I'm TOTALLY PLEASED. I knew 4GB were not enough for many things that I may want to install or download, actually, the disc only has 2.9 GB free because the other space is occupied by system files (actually, I believed there was an internal 4GB HDD on the slot, I had no idea it was internal memory :P), so, there's no way we could install a full game on it, and that was my main concern, I didn't know if an external USB pendrive or HDD would work for it. However I took the risk. I happened to have a 160GB external USB HDD from Imation, and though the 16GB limit is still there, is more than enough to install 2 games on the disc, preventing many things, like DVD lens and disc wear, overheat, and perhaps improve loading times. I had a Xbox 360 Go Pro version with a 20GB HDD (until it RRoDed) and even though it had less free space than the external one served all my purpuses for storage. If the disk got full with DLC or other stuff, I just transferred that info to my computer with a normal pendrive and that was it. It saved me more than $100 on that deal. I might buy the 250GB in the future, but for now it's money I don't have, and to be honest 250GB is an overkill for my gaming needs.

So yes, I found the 4GB one to be an excellent deal, its matte finish is beautiful, I even got a discount because I didn't take the controller it came with (local retailer), cause I have enough from my older one, it really IS quiet. Only thing is it doesn't include a headset, but since I already had one, no need for another.

Update: I searched a little and found many claims that the original Xbox 360's HDD worked on the Slim version, you just had to remove the disc from its casing. Since my old Xbox is RRoDed, my old 20GB HDD was not going to be used for anything other than scrap, so I followed a Youtube video on how to open the casing, it was very easy as a matter of fact, the screws need a special tool, but I managed with a conventional small screwdriver that fit into the screw's head and pliers, that's all. It's a little Seagate laptop SATA HDD, nothing special, so I opened the lid on the bottom of the Xbox 360 Slim and inserted the HDD and voilà! It worked. No need to set it up, no licenses to pay, no new HDD to buy... it's working great. All the regular Xbox 360 HDD (20, 60, 120, 250 GB) models will work, and if you can get your hands on a cheap one, you should go for it. It's been said however that it will void the warranty... but what warranty do they reffer to? The HDD's? Well, that old Xbox is dead already and its warranty IS already expired, so I can do with MY HDD whatever I want. And as for the Xbox goes, I'm not opening it, I'm using an original Xbox 360 HDD, it may not be on the casing, but? It saves money, it works, so, what's the deal?

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 9:42:08 PM PST
BobcatFan says:
I have seen some what I can only assume are non microsoft brand hrad drives for the xbox slims on ebay and the like. Anyone have any experience with these? do they work or are they complete junk?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 10:29:15 AM PST
J. Feehan says:
Thank you so much for this VERY helpful explanation. I'll buy the 4 GB and extra accessories!!

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 12:28:39 AM PST
Please help!! I want an xbox 360 for my 7 yr old, mainly for the kinect games....is the 4GB model ok or do I need 250GB? We will ONLY be using it for kinect games...no online gaming, movies, etc.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 5:37:33 AM PST
Prismsk says:
@Heidi

4GB model is perfectly fine if you want to play only Kinect game. As people here said, unless you download and keep a lot games demo, games add-on, or install games, 4GB will work fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 4:49:25 PM PST
@Prismsk
thanks so much for the quick response...bought it today!

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 8:17:28 AM PST
Gee Emm says:
I too have been wrestling with this dilemma, as the only Xbox's I see in the stores at this point are the 4 GB Kinect bundles. I have bought one of those, but have been on the lookout for a 250 GB bundle (without Kinect if need be) as my son mainly wants to use it for gaming and not for Kinect stuff. My ex is in favor of the larger HDD as a salesman told her brother that was the way to go. The salesman I spoke to gave me a different perspective. His comment was that you can always add the larger HDD (or a USB as i'm seeing now) later, and it will be available and if new, only at a small premium over buying it as part of a bundle ($120 versus $100). The Kinect by itself on the other hand is expected to be in short supply for quite awhile, as people are buying bundles and also buying any solo Kinects for older Xbox's. In addition, buying the Kinect solo will be about $140-150 versus paying just $100 as part of the bundle. I'm gambling that it will be cheaper and easier in the long run to add memory if and when I need it...than to buy the Kinect if and when I need it. Does this rationale make sense...or help anyone out?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:31:17 AM PST
Gee Emm says:
Alex, I did the same thing, and good luck even finding a 250 GB console. All of the B.B.'s around here are sold out, and only have the 4 GB Kinect bundle. And they have dozens of those! I was thinking of returning my 4 GB if I could find the 250 GB, but after talking to a salesman and reading posts here I think I may keep the one I have. I think it will be cheaper and easier to upgrade the storage, either through a Flash drive or HDD (either new or used) than to find a standalone Kinect. The Kinect by itself is $150, if you can even find one. I think the availability will be limited for quite awhile as all existing Xbox users add it as an accessory. The stores I have been in have no Kinects..but many 250 GB HDD's.

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 12:18:42 PM PST
M. Farrow says:
I am so drawn to the X w/Kinect and my dilemma is that or the Wii??? I know, apples and oranges.... Someone steer me in a particular direction... please!!! LOL!

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 12:19:13 PM PST
M. Farrow says:
I am so drawn to the X w/Kinect and my dilemma is that or the Wii??? I know, apples and oranges.... Someone steer me in a particular direction... please!!! LOL!

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 2:36:43 PM PST
The 4g is not a small hard drive. It is only an internal flash drive. You will NOT be able to play old xbox games even if you update the software because the older games have to have a hard drive. I found this out the hard way after trying to get the 4g to play an old game. I went back and forth with customer support and finally found it stated in the online support pages buried deep down. Many people I asked for help at local gaming stores were baffeled as well. So the 4g is not only considerably smaller amount of memory but it isn't a hard drive at all. Spend the extra up front and get the 250g.

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 9:10:00 PM PST
B. LeBlanc says:
250gb Xbox 360 slim is going for $299 and the 4gb Xbox 360 slim is going for $199. Why not just buy the 4gb for $199 and then purchase a xbox 360 slim hdd hard drive for $48?

$299 (250gb) vs $199 (4gb) + $48 (250gb hdd) = $247

Saves you $52.

However, if someone can comment on whether the generic 250gb hdd's for sale for the xbox 360 slims have worked. I've seen a few comments about people doing this online and they have said the non-microsoft 250gb hdd's have been working. Just wondering if anyone else can verify this.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 5:30:17 AM PST
Keita says:
Or just buy a cheap 16gb flash drive and pay for what you use... 250 Gb makes sense if youre a power user... Casual gamers - not so much.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 2:39:53 PM PST
blu-steel says:
I would say if your a hardcore gamer go with the 250 gig unit. If its a deal breaker than just go the 4 gig unit. It all depends what you can afford IMO. Since the disc drive in these new units are so quiet you dont need to install, but it is faster loading when your games are installed on the HDD.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 3:35:59 PM PST
G. Goyal says:
I think there are two primary types of people who use xbox360
- People who spend a lot of time downloading stuff, playing games, buy or rent tons of them and are basically power users
- People who play occasionally. Use their console for Kinect games. Maybe own 2-5 games because they are so damn expensive and maybe dont have that much interest in gaming. Stream movies etc using connection to netflix. Let me call these light users.

I personally belong to the latter group and think that the 4GB model is targeted for people like me. I believe OP also falls into this category.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 12:49:05 PM PST
We're looking at an Xbox 360 w/Kinect mainly as a means to stream Netflix movies and secondly as a gaming system. Would the 4G version serve this purpose? Also, does the Xbox play DVDs or Blu-Ray?

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 1:37:50 PM PST
Additional question. Does the Xbox come with cables to connect to TV for HD?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2011 7:15:26 PM PST
Keita says:
4gb is fine for Netflix only...although wouldn't a Roku serve you better for half the price? Xbox does DVD's only... but there is an HD-DVD add-on floating around somewhere on your local Craigslist if you have some of those laying around.. or must have TrueHD audio for the few dozen movies that were released in that video format.

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 3:18:03 AM PST
Cyprus says:
Keep in mind that Netflix requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription for $40/year:

Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership Card

If you're not going to be doing online gaming (the biggest reason to get a Gold subscription), then a Roku player might be a better bet. You have the upfront cost for the hardware, but there's no additional fee to use it. If you are going to be doing online gaming and would get a Gold subscription anyway, then you had might as well use the 360.

The unit does NOT come with HD cables, but you can pick up any old HDMI cable on Amazon for about $5 and it will work fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 9:53:25 AM PST
What would be the advantage of the 250G? Is it only for hardcore gaming?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  141
Total posts:  221
Initial post:  Jul 20, 2010
Latest post:  May 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 50 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Xbox 360 4GB Console
Xbox 360 4GB Console by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (1,062)