4.0 out of 5 stars great fun!
Published on March 4, 2008 by momof2

3.0 out of 5 stars Toy's much harder to use than you might think
Published on July 24, 2007 by K.W.

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun!, March 4, 2008
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
This toy was really better than I expected. I purchased one for both my 8 and 5 year old. They started out chipping away little pieces of the hard outer plaster . After a while, my daughter got a container of warm water and realized that the water dissolved the plaster just enough to make their hammering/sawing work a bit easier. They were so excited to extract each crystal and looked at them with the magnifying glass and had a wonderful time exploring the differences/colors/textures. This simple toy kept them busy for about an hour 1/2 and they each have the 8 crystals to keep and enjoy. Would recommend highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wear Goggles!, October 20, 2010
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
My 7-year old loves this. She is a hands-on learner. We were working together on the toy, just like 5 minutes ago, and then I came upstairs to order more for Christmas gifts because of the much fun she was experiencing with the kit. As I was at my computer and in the process of completing my order via Amazon, my child came running up the stairs, with dust all over her, looking very uncomfortable and blinking profusely; her eyes and the surrounding areas were beet red! She had accidentally blown the debris in her eyes! We did an eye rinse, followed by some eye drops, and then she went to fetch her swimming googles! Smart kid. I replied to her, "Are you going back for more?" Her reply: "Oh, yea!" LOL. Getting dust/debris in the eye from this toy is easy to do, so you should probably have some goggles on hand for your child, or even for you the adult, if you intend on helping out. I do not recall in the instructions that googles are recommended, but they should be. Fabulous toy but dusty! Wear googles!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad purchase, July 23, 2008
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
My 10 year old really liked "mining" for these crystals. She did not attempt to get all the crystals out of the block in one setting. She did a little bit of chipping away of the block, whenever she felt like it. I actually found myself chipping away at it a time or two, it was thrapeutic for me:>. Once you see a piece of a crystal it's exciting. I'm going to look for a more challenging one for her this year. I recommend this, but you must have patience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and nice gems!, June 3, 2011
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
I bought two of these, one for my daughter and one for my niece. My daughter (aged 5 at the time) had a great time chipping away at the rock to get all of the gems out. True, it did take her quite a while (and she switched off for a bit with her 7-year-old sister), but the only time I had to intervene was to suggest she wet the rock to make chiseling a bit easier. All told, it took a few hours (which, as a parent of four, was *brilliant*!) and resulted in quite a few nice polished stones. She keeps them in the included leather pouch and considers them one of her valued "treasures."

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Toy, March 2, 2012
Franz Metcalf (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
Pearl (aged seven), who also titled this review, says: I got this toy and the next day I opened it up and there was a big cube in it. At first when I digged in it, I didn't find any gems. But then, when I got a little bit farther, I started finding the gems. I loved this toy. It was kind of hard to hit it at first, though, because the cube was really hard. I used the hammer that came with it, but the hammer didn't really work so I started using a real hammer. It only took me one night. The gems are beautiful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a rainy afternoon, June 10, 2013
nietzsche (Columbus, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
First day of summer vacation, and it's raining! Happily, this arrived in the mail today. It arrived at the same time as the Mine for Gems Science kit, a product with a similar makeup but three times the price. My 7 year old used this kit, and his 5 year old brother used the other one. While the Mine for Gems kit comes with a plaster block in a tray and a metal tool, this one is a small block wrapped in plastic and comes with a plastic tool. When the boys took their kits out, my older boy was initially disappointed with his smaller block and plastic tool. However, he brightened up at the magnifying glass.

After my son flicked some of the dirt from the block into his eye, he got his pool goggles for the rest of the work. I highly recommend this, no only because eye protection is a good idea, but he looked like a super cute scientist. We also got out our actual hammer and he used the back side of the hammer to get the block into pieces. That was when he finally started finding gemstones. It took some time and patience, and I had started trying to soak pieces in water to help, but he ended up finding several when he finally got the block to break down the middle. The set says it comes with 8 gemstones, but he actually ended up with 12! I thought maybe he'd broken a couple with the hammer, but as the gemstones are tumbled and smooth, I found that that was not the case.

All in all, it was the perfect rainy-day activity, fun and educational, and I'm happy with this purchase. It's very affordable, so no complaints about the included tools, but you may want a hammer to get things going.

3.0 out of 5 stars Toy's much harder to use than you might think, July 24, 2007
K.W. (Not specified) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
I had to do the project myself as there's no way that this could be completed by a young child. The instructions read that you use the hammer part of the tool and then when you break the entire block up, use the scrapper to get the crystal out and scrap off the extra dirt. Well, as an adult, the hammer they give is definitely safe for kids because there's no way it's going to break up the block. I had to scrape the entire block until I finally found the crystals.
When you open the package, it does say something along the lines of "just like an archaeologist, you have to have patience and scrape carefully or you will scratch your crystals." Well, you must have patience because it took me some seven hours to get the crystals out. A couple times I gave up and had to put it away and come back to it. The one plus is that once you get one or two of the gems out, the others are often just underneath so it does get easier, but there's no way your item is going to look like the picture where you have mostly sand and just pick the gems out.

Oh, and if you are scraping one side and getting nowhere, turn the block over. Most of our gems were closer to one side.

Kit comes with a little gem storing page, a bag to put the gems in, and a plastic hammer/scraper. Our scraper was completely worn down once I was done.

4.0 out of 5 stars messy, educational and fun!, January 4, 2011
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
My 4 1/2 year old son and I had fun playing scientist, first digging the crystals out, then using the magnifying glass to see them up close and then learning about them.

He was a plaster mess afterwards as were the surrounding areas. But he loved every min. of it and the clean up wasn't bad.

All of the crystals were in a clump in one corner and the agate, dolomite and clear quartz weren't there. We ended up with 7 amethyst and 1 rose quartz.

Overall fun and educational for both of us and he loved the mess!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, December 26, 2011
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
This is what my son has to say about this toy:

The package said that it had 8 gems but it turned out that I found 18. I liked it because one reason why is because I like going to Topaz Mountain and chipping for Topaz and this is like the same thing only you find other kinds of gems. The gems were bigger than I thought which I liked. I really liked this toy and you should definitely buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars KIDS LOVED IT, October 7, 2008
This review is from: 4M Crystal Mining Kit (Toy)
It was a blast watching them bang away. The only recommendation I have it to do it outside, as the first wack they gave a geode caused it to go flying across the room- needs adult supervision for sure

4M Crystal Mining Kit