on February 13, 2011
There are some 80+ reviews on the product already - so I won't go into great detail here. Here's my brief observations for the 2010 model.

Please note that there is a newer 2011 model - *make sure you are getting the 2011 model* (see how to determine below)

PROs:
> requires less space than traditional swings
> doesn't require batteries
> contemporary 'hi tech' design aesthetic
> available in pleasing non-bright/playroom colors
> aluminum framing is nicely designed and easy to assemble
> works to calm easily soothed babies - might save your sanity (if your baby like it)

CONs:
> motor and gearbox is *loud* (addressed in 2011 model)
> harness clips are hidden behind fabric (to make it look nice) - but very frustrating to undo clips in this configuration. (addressed in 2011 model)
> can't recline to a completely horizontal position
> would be significantly more effective if it moved faster
> moves in only 2 axis - it doesn't rock back/forth
> small seating area (slightly larger in 2011 model)
> mobile is simple design and does not move/rotate. it's a shame that this was NOT fixed in the 2011 model.

THE 2011 UPDATES:
> new gear box - claim is half as loud as 2010 model
> easier to access buckles
> wrap around seat fabric - looks nicer, larger seating area
> reshaped base - nicer rounder design

HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE GETTING A 2011 (version 2) MAMAROO:
> sadly, there is no easy way to determine if you are ordering an older model.
> at this point in time (Feb 2011) both products are shipped in the EXACT SAME BOX and have the EXACT SAME SKU (barcode).
> your best bet is if the product is listed as a 2011 model.
> if you can open the box before purchase, you can easily see if the harness has the NEW or OLD logo. the old logo is two colors and has four dots over the "O". the new logo is sleeker, one color, and the "4" is in a square.
> if you look carefully on the outside of the box, there is an eight digit number embossed next to the bar code (it's almost invisible). this is the manufacturing date in the following format YYYYMMDD. any date Nov 1st 2010 (20101101) should be the 2011 model.
review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2010
My baby was a baby that had to be held ALL the time. He is a baby that loves to cuddle and the only way to get him to sleep was to cuddle him and sing to him. Since we got the Mamroo, that has changed! He will lay in it and put himself to sleep! I could not ask for a better baby item. It is a must have!
on June 8, 2010
I originally had a traditional swing and my daughter loved it. Unfortunately it stopped working after just 2 weeks so I had to look for an alternative. I stumbled on the mamaroo and was intrigued. It is small and plugs in so no batteries. I like the mp3 player feature and the white noise sounds are better than the old swing. But my daughter is what I would call a motion junkie and the mamaroo doesn't move fast enough to soothe her. Sure I can put her in it when she's already asleep but if I put her in it awake, she only lasts a few minutes. And forget putting her in it when she is upset. Also, the mobile is really lame. It doesn't move. I don't like the harness at all. I know you are always supposed to strap your child in but when they are too young to move those harnesses just get in the way. I would often put my daughter in her swing swaddled. The mamaroo makes it impossible to put your child in without the harness; my daughter would slide out. So if you already have a pretty calm baby the mamaroo is great. If your child needs a little more movement to be soothed, skip the mamaroo.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 22, 2010
I have been so busy with my 11-week-old baby that I really ought not be spending my time writing reviews, but I have to on this one. I am pretty sure there are others out there, like me, who have little ones who have trouble sleeping due to reflux.

Before I had the mamaroo, I was up at 3am, holding my little sweetheart upright for 15 minutes after a nursing, squinting at my iphone screen reading all about the Tucker Wedge, homeopathic remedies....anything that might allow me to nurse my baby and put her right back down, rather than have to add 15 minutes on to every feeding. She was about 4 weeks at the time, and fed every 2-3 hours, sometimes more often. Add 15 minutes on to every session, and there is not much time left over for mama sleepy.

I had researched lots of different bassinet options before she was born and had seriously considered the hammock-style ones that are suspended either from a ceiling hook or from a base on the floor, but then the Amby got recalled, and I thought that all of them had the risk that the Amby had for the baby who is on an incline and in a thing that flexes and moves when they move in the night: the baby scooches down to the bottom. They would need to be strapped into place somehow. So I was considering the Tucker Sling.

Now, as it turns out, I already had this good looking mamaroo my mom had gotten me as a present, and I was using it in lieu of a swing/bouncy seat in the living room. We really liked the mamaroo already. It has a sleek design and we had taken to calling it Inga's spaceship. It made our living room look so much less like a daycare to have just this one contraption and not a barrage of other seats all with their irritating Twinkle Twinkle Little Star melodies and dangling plastic toys.

But then, when my baby was 6 1/2 weeks old, my two friends who are (1) a pediatric cardiologist and mom of two and (2) a mom of three were visiting, I was talking (barely coherently) about my lack of sleep the night before and how I had put my girl down after only 5 or so minutes instead of 15 and being flat on her back had made the milk come gurgling up and out and had irritated her throat and made her cry.

"Have you had her sleep in a swing?" asked one of them.
"Uh, no. I thought that wasn't necessarily safe or recommended," I said.
They shook their heads at my Beginner's Idealism and pointed at the spaceship. "You could even have her sleep the night in that."

It was the proper angle for her back (or rather, I could set it to be, about 30 degrees) just as the Tucker Sling would be. It had a way to strap her in so she wouldn't oooch down throughout the night and end up down at the bottom. It already had the white noise built in, so I could reclaim my phone in the evening hours from having to be in her room playing the white noise app. And it rocked and swayed all night long. Just like the motion she is used to when she takes her daytime naps in the Moby or the Bjorn on me.

I tried it that very night, and my baby's longest stretch of sleep increased FROM THREE HOURS TO SIX THAT VERY NIGHT! Now, at 11 1/2 weeks, we are up to eight hours some nights (that first chunk between 7/8 pm and anywhere from 1-4 am), and almost always at least six.

Have you clicked away from this review yet to hit "order"-->"expedited delivery"??
on March 17, 2011
This little infant seat is okay, but only okay. For almost $200, I would have expected more than okay-- thus one star.

First, the seat has to be positioned just right or else the motor will be very, very loud. If the "motion" function is changed, you have to tinker with it some more to prevent it from sounding like a meat grinder. You can usually get it so the gears don't grind so loud, but it takes some doing. Maybe not a deal breaker for a lot of people, but for the price, I'd expect better.

Second, the seat's useful life is pretty short. It's not really suitable for very young babies because there is no head support and the seat doesn't recline enough to prevent the inevitable head-flopping which occurs with these little guys. It's also not suitable for older babies because the harness doesn't go over the shoulders. Once your little guy can sit up, he probably shouldn't be in this seat.

Third, support is awful. FAQ's nothing but a marketing pitch, emailed questions to support, no answer.

In my opinion, it would be worth buying this if it were less than $100.00-- not at the current price.

A final word of caution-- be very, very skeptical of some of the positive reviews you might see. Once the grinding motor became to much to bear and I got ZERO response from the company, I started seeing if other people had some tips on how to fix the problem. I found one five star review after the other, all singing the praises of this modern miracle. I also noticed, that by some startling coincidence, they all seemed to be worded identically. No wait, not seemed, they WERE worded identically. How weird!

For example, all some reviews that start with "I just received our new mamaroo a couple of days ago, and I absolutely love it. It is very stylish...it looks even nicer than the pictures show" are posted here:

[...]

The review that starts with "I was a little skeptical at first and was concerned .. . " is posted on about 10 different sites. And on, and on.

It could be that all of these people were so thrilled with their purchase that they took the time to register, create profiles, and cut and paste the identical review on a bunch of different sites, but I doubt it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2010
So I've been eyeing the Mammaroo a couple of months now (already have the 4Moms tub which I love), but we didn't "need" it as we already had a swing and a bouncy from our first child. Well, the swing called it quits after we unpacked it from storage last week so I was in the market for a replacement. I read tons of reviews before finally feeling OK about shelling out $200+ for another baby product. What pushed me over to the purchase were reviews about "burnt out motors" on certain swings (which is what happened to mine)...and I just plain hated the look and size of regular swings. We live in the city and our baby products live in our living room...which I'd like to not look like a playroom ALL the time ;). So this streamlined lil product was just what I wanted....and I was really hoping it would be what the baby wanted.

I ordered it Saturday night and it was delivered this afternoon (Tuesday)...woo hoo to Amazon Mom shipping! My 3 month old woke from her nap, I fed her and then put her in the Roo so that I could go and play with my toddler and make dinner. The SECOND I put her in the Roo she got the biggest grin on her face...we've tried all the settings and she doesn't seem to have a preference...but does smile even more on the "Car Ride" and "Tree Swing" settings. I put on the "ocean" sounds and my Toddler said "mommy we're at the beach" and the baby started "talking" (she does love the ocean). So...Happy Mom...Happy Baby! Wish I had purchased this sooner!

Other Pros-
Product was VERY easy to assemble (took me 3 minutes and one screwdriver)
Small Footprint (takes up much less space than a swing)
Takes place of both swing & bouncy (even more space saved)
Plugs in (no searching for batteries while baby screams)
Looks GREAT!
*Not sure about cleaning it yet, but the seat just zips out so I imagine that it will be VERY easy to clean.

Cons-
Other than the pricetag, I do wish it had one speed faster than the fastest speed. This is why I have given it a 4 vs. a 5

I don't usually post reviews, but since the reviews on my search were what helped me to decide I felt I should share as well.
on February 2, 2012
I have a 3 year old and a one month old. One kid was a lot of work. Two is insane. I can't even go to the bathroom when I need to anymore. I get home from work only to immediately be put back to work. I'm telling you all this because being able to put a baby down for a minute so you can cook dinner, or do dishes, or take out the trash, or just take a freaking piss is HUGE. This damn thing is expensive, but having an extra 30 minutes a day really adds up. I can't say my daughter loves this thing though. She often cries when I put her in it. It's very robotic and I don't get a warm cozy feeling when I put her in it. After the coolness of it wears off you start to see just how limiting it is. I have no doubt this is the future, but the technology just isn't there yet.

The other day, out of the blue my wife bought another sleeper: Fisher-Price My Little Sweetie Deluxe Rock n' Play Lightweight Plush Sleeper. At first I was pissed at her for buying another sleeper but the Fisher-Price one freaking works. My daughter loves sleeping in it and I don't feel bad putting her in it because it just looks so damn cozy. My wife is a super green hippy that hates Fisher-Price but she loves that thing. She puts down an "organic" blanket so everything is OK. Anyways, save your money, buy the Fisher-Price one, its Big Al approved.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 23, 2011
This product is a life saver ! Our baby is 4 weeks old and he loves sitting in the mamaroo. This product has allowed us to sit him down so he can watch us around the house and he is still a happy baby. ITs the ultimate sleep machine. As far as the claims that it is too slow moving. If it was any faster it would not be safe. Great Product Cool design ! If this one broke tomorrow. I would buy a replacement ASAP
on May 14, 2010
My family has been chomping at the bits for the release of this item. My (now 12 week old son) was very picky up until about 8 weeks. He refused to go into bouncers or swings, and demanded that he be held, and sometimes bounced on an excerise ball. Naturally, we couldn't wait for the Mamaroo to help simulate the bouncing motion that he loved so much. Around 8 weeks of age he became more trusting of his swing and bouncer, but we still had high hopes for the Mamaroo. So far, so good. Has it made the earth stand still in our house, not quite. Has it totally replaced the obnoxious looking swing in our living room, unfortunatly not. However, he does seem to like it so far.

The Great:
- IPOD hook up! It becomes a speaker for all of his favorite music and lullabys.
- Attractive! Much better looking, and less space than lime green swing

The Good:
- Mobile. I was suprised to my son's response to it. It looked a little 'bare bones' to me, but he really enjoys staring at the artwork (more than the swing's mobile).
- The variety of motions. I am not riding in it, so hard to speak to this one.

Would like to see improved:
- The speed. Even at it's maximum speed, it still seems so slow. All of my family have asked, 'does it go faster?'. Granted, I understand the safety of America's children is at stake. However, my son doesn't seem satisified with the speed, and it doesn't come close to replicating my bounce.

At the end of the day, I think if we had introduced this to him before other products, it would be the only 'toy' we used. However, due to its release time, we tried a variety of other items that he became equally/more attached to.
on January 16, 2012
The mamaroo does an amazing job keeping our 5 month old content while we eat meals or get household stuff done, and it's worked well since she was about 3 months old.... When she was younger, we would try to put her in the mamaroo when she was upset, hoping it would soothe her, and it never, ever worked to calm her down. We had to work much harder to soothe our upset baby (5 S's from The Happiest Baby on the Block). Instead, the mamaroo keeps our calm baby calm longer than swings or bouncers do. I wouldn't recommend purchasing this item without first seeing how it works in person. Also, it's quite an investment, so you may want to get to know your baby before dropping the $. Now that our baby is a bit older, we use it daily, and it's sleek design looks great in our house. Overall, I'd recommend it as a great place to put your happy baby when you need to get stuff done.

See 1 answered question