5.0 out of 5 stars A+++, August 3, 2011
This review is from: 4Sevens Preon 1, R5, Flashlight; Black; 70 OTF lumens; 1xAAA (Electronics)
I use a flashlight everyday in my trade so I know my way around a flashlight. I'm blown away by this light. It's a must have for anyone's edc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kicks the snot out of Streamlight, October 12, 2011
Tripwire (Under the Big Sky, Montana) - See all my reviews
This light is a precision instrument with a silky smooth finish that is almost slippery. It has a very deep carry clip and is almost a third shorter than my 1xAAA Streamlight.

The 70 lumens seems about right. Not as bright as I'm used to with my other 4sevens lights, but plenty for something half to a third the size of a pencil.

No hesitations on this one if you want a AAA light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tiny little flashlight!, September 9, 2011
Don't let this little size and little power source fool you. This thing packs quite a nice punch. Its small enough to keep clipped in your pocket and you can get to the items that are at the bottom. The fact that you can also control how much light it produces is amazing. I didn't think you could pack that kind of tech into such a small light. 6 modes built in! low/mid/hi + strobe/sos/beacon . I don't even know when I'd use those last 3 but its good to know that they're there.

4.0 out of 5 stars good light, kinda pricey, September 14, 2012
this is a really good light. it is bright, runs on a single AAA battery, and the parts fit with precision. the bad: it is expensive. and it has a twist on style switch. it is expensive. and the clip is not as sturdy as the streamlight's, and did i mention that it is relatively expensive for what you're getting? if you dont mind the price, then get it, because it is slimmer than the microstream, has selectable brightness levels, and looks really cool even though the light is all black unlike the picture that has a silver clip. but if price is to be considered, and you like the simplicity of just on and off, then the streamlight is half the cost, and has a push button switch.

update: i robbed the clicker switch off of my 2AAA preon and put on this little guy. it made it a 5 star light, but i kept that star for myself since i modified it. now if 4sevens could put a clicker on the back and lower the price we could have a 5-star streamlight beater. and if you are listening, mr sevens, i would love to do some product testing for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 10, 2012
This thing is super bright for the size. It's a great size too. I love how low it rides in the pocket when using the pocket clip. The keychain part seems like it wouldn't work as well as you would expect. The keychain attachment has a very small hole; it almost seems like the supplied split ring won't even fit in it. Also the way it hangs off of a keyring seems like it's pretty awkward. If you are looking for a keychain light, look for something that is made to primarily be a keychain light.

If you want a very small, very tough, very bright (for the size) light that uses a common sized battery, this is the winner. I would imagine it would be hard to beat this one.

Also, I ordered the black one and it came with a black pocket clip, not silver like it is in the picture. I actually prefer it all black, so it works for me. Just be aware of that.

UPDATE: Beware of the pocket clip. It's retention isn't that strong, and doesn't clip the light in your pocket very well. I just lost mine today and am really upset about it. It must have just slipped off and out when I was sitting or something. It's a great light, but don't clip it on your pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!, November 25, 2011
It's hard to believe that a flashlight so small could have so many features and be one of the brightest available. The construction quality is impeccable, it's unmistakably high-end. The tail-stand flat cap comes off if you want to remove the pocket clip. A steel adapter ring is included that replaces the pocket clip and allows the flashlight to be hung from a lanyard or a keychain. Spare O-rings are also included. An optional tail is available that gives you a clicky switch to turn it on and cycle through the output settings without having to twist the front.

The light itself is a pure white with a slightly warm tint. Color rendition is very good. The Cree XP-G R5 emitter is one of the best and brightest available. Operation is simple, you tighten the front bezel with a quarter turn and it turns on the light in the low position. Do the same thing again for medium and high. Thankfully the SOS, strobe and beacon modes are not part of the basic operation. They're there but you have to cycle through all three outputs twice in quick succession to activate the flashing stuff.

I put 2 new AA batteries in my Mini-Maglite to see how it compares and was startled at how poor the light from the Maglite was. The little Preon was probably three or four times as bright with a much better spot and spill area and no dark spots or rings. I find I use all three light intensities, the brightest being useful even hiking outdoors. The smooth anodized finish, glass lens, waterproof construction, ten year warranty, switch and clip options and industry leading LED emitter put this single AAA light in a class by itself. It's an elegant piece of equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars great EDC light when size matters and great pocket clip, March 4, 2014
sometimes you only have room for a small light and the Preon is a great option. The pocket clip makes it handy and it's solidly attached. Quality product, fair price, very popular with the EDC crowd. Not nearly as bright as the CR123 lights and Lithium rechargeables, but a good choice for a AAA-sized light. Get the Eneloop NiMHs for longest life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, Bright, Reliable, and Highly Recommended!, September 2, 2013
J. Robideau "Rob" (Bhaisipati, Lalitpur, Nepal) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I now own several of these lights and they are always with me. They are so small and light that it is easy to forget that you are carrying a light. Because it is so light, I often end up carrying it on the same side as my pocket knife without it pulling down the pants pocket. The twisty head is as simple and reliable as it gets. You can cycle through 3 levels with an additional strobe and SOS also available. The high level is more than enough light for the vast majority of the tasks I undertake in the dark.

This light is definitely not the brightest out there, but for the size and weight, the Preon 1, is definitely punching above it's weight class!

I cannot recommend this light highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a cool light, April 20, 2013
Awesome EDC light. Very small and light. The texture is nice and it is waterproof. Clip works well but the black paint wears fairly fast. I recommend Eneloops to make it even brighter. $45 is a little steep for this light. I paid $35 and thought it was a fair deal. Foursevens always makes nice stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars do your self a favor and get one, December 28, 2012
Charles Rodby (Minneapolis, Mn) - See all my reviews
Very bright for it's size and uses AAA batteries so they are easy to come by. The internals are sealed with O rings to promote water resistance. I can't think of a reason not to have this light with you. I'm buying another just in case.
If you would like to know something specific about this item just ask and I'll try to respond within a day or so.