Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: MP3 Music|Change

on February 10, 2011
As a fan of deadmau5's previous studio albums (Random Album Title and For Lack of a Better Name), I knew I wanted to buy this album, if only for the sake of having another one. The track "Some Chords", released as a single previously, was good enough that I had high hopes for the rest of the album. In the end, I have discovered that "4x4=12" represents a new style for deadmau5. Joel Zimmerman's experiments with collaborative tracks and alternate genres (dubstep) have turned out well, mixing up the sound while still maintaining the distinctive flavor that his fans know and love.

The album begins with "Some Chords", a track that any fan of "Ghosts N Stuff" will immediately enjoy. The balance is shifted, though, with "Sofi Needs a Ladder". This track, one of two in the album featuring fellow artist SOFI, sets itself apart with aggressive beats and angry female vocals. While not a typical deadmau5 track at all, it still has some potential, though I personally didn't enjoy it as much.

After this departure is finished, the album kicks back into the mau5's usual territory with the rowdy "A City in Florida". Deep, fast-paced beats and full bass create a wild ride, which blends into a more stacatto track, "Bad Selection". Next up is a collaborative track entitled "Animal Rights", one of my favorites from the album. With a sound reminiscent of Daft Punk, this one is full of win, with arpeggiated electronic noises and eccentric melodic bits.

The lighthearted mood shifts with the next track, "I said", another collaborative piece. The lights go out for this one, which has a creepy, visceral feeling. The surreal tones continue with the intense original track "Cthulhu Sleeps", whose wobbling, pulsing vibe carries the beat well. The album hits a peaceful section for a moment with the next track, "Right This Second", featuring a synth-heavy melodic intro that builds up tension and drops into an urgent beat.

Next comes a notable switch in the form of the track "Raise Your Weapon". Featuring vocals by Greta Svabo Bech, the track is soothing, a bit mournful, and skillfully executed. Halfway through, deadmau5 hits listeners with a grinding dubstep beat that throws the piece into chaos and eventually resolves itself into a calm flow of sound.

That calm is broken by SOFI's second appearance with "One Trick Pony", a track that threatens to rip the album apart with its grating rap lyrics and unvaried roughness. Anyone brave enough to listen to the whole track is subjected to an onslaught of violent noise tied together by Sofi Toufa's angry rapping.

Perhaps the chaos can be appreciated, though, when the final track is reached. "Everything Before" settles the noise down into a classic deadmau5 house beat, with some eerie melodic elements to complete the mood. The track's execution recalls Joel's work in "Random Album Title" and is easily recognized by longtime listeners. With this return to his roots, deadmau5 closes an album that is quite the ride.

Overall, this is an album worth buying. Several tracks are absolutely mind-blowing, and though one or two lack the same appeal deadmau5's work usually has, the compilation still manages to shine. I give it 4 out of 5.
on March 10, 2016
I love this album! I love lots of Deadmau5's music, but this one has always been one of my favorites.

Picked this up to go with a new turntable I got (which ended up not being very good). The album sounds great on vinyl, do not regret my purchase.

However, my copy arrived warped, giving me a different kind of "wobble" than I was expecting... hahah.... (Because the record wobbled from the warp.)
VINE VOICEon September 7, 2015
My review of "Random Album Title" included comments to the effect that after a few months of repeated listenings, it had continued to stay on top and would easily remain in my short stack of favorites. After about four years I could easily write these same comments. However, I also wrote at the time that I could not find any other deadmau5 albums which measured up to "Random Album Title". My later discovery of "Animal Rights" led to my purchase of "4x4=12", released about two years after "Random Album Title", which (for the most part) ended up changing my mind. In addition to "Animal Rights", my other favorites in this collection are "Everything Before", the last track, followed by "Some Chords", the first track, as well as the tracks with vocals from Sofia Toufa that include "Sofi Needs a Ladder", "Raise Your Weapon", and "One Trick Pony". The main reason I do not listen to this album as much as "Random Album Title" is the presence of heavy, concentration-breaking vocals beyond simple voice loops akin to "Sometimes Things Get, Whatever" in the earlier release. And keep in mind that deadmau5 delves into multiple music genres here, so over time you will likely find yourself repeatedly listening to individual tracks rather than the complete collection.
on April 18, 2013
Simply one of the best workout or kickstarting set of tracks on the market. I like Combichrist, and a friend introduced me to Deadmau5 and I've since acquired 4 albums on MP3. I'm 43 years old and my eight year old wants Deadmau5 on her Ipod and Ipad.
on January 7, 2013
Deadmau5 has perfected the peaceful and trance like nature of electronic music. I would recommend this album to anyone that enjoys getting lost in their music or just looking to enjoy relaxing and neutral ambiance music.
on January 20, 2013
In our normal Base-10, decimal number system each digit is a power of 10.

4x4 = 16 = 1x10 + 6x1

In a Base-14, tetradecimal number system each digit is a power of 14.

4x4 = 12 = 1x14 + 2x1

The album title is only true if you are using a very awkward numbering system invented by someone with 7 fingers on each hand.
44 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2015
This is probably my favorite release of all the current Deadmau5 set (While 1<2 is most current when I wrote this). I think this is the most imaginative collection he has released in terms of originality, and each song builds so nicely from the other. I can never get 'Bad Selection' out of my mind, such an earworm of a track. Raise Your Weapon and One Trick Pony seem out of place in this collection - I realize this is personal taste. Thoroughly enjoyed and as always, crystal clear mastering on CD, thank you. Very high energy CD.
on September 13, 2015
The kids (5 & 7) love deadmau5, and I like him just fine. However, this album has some profanity, and I didn't catch that until I bought it. Unfortunately, because I was looking for an album I could just let them play unfiltered.
on August 25, 2013
This review is for Deadmau5 newcomers, like myself. I've heard sprinklings of Joel's work since it began dominating the dance scene. It has taken me a while to differentiate genres and really discover the artists I like. I consider myself hard to please when it comes to this kind of music. For an outrageous album like 4x4=12 to win me over takes a good injection of raw musicality. This is the reason I am becoming a Deadmau5 fan.

My discovery of this "Progressive House" album happened backwards. There I was reading the June 2012 issue of Sound On Sound where a review of some killer studio monitors mentions the use of 4x4=12 as a sonic benchmark for breaking-in and testing new speakers. This perked my interest. I had unfortunately lumped Deadmau5 in with other artists I do not enjoy, and a solid listening to 4x4=12 began to change that. I have been won over and somewhat trained by this album and now consider myself a Progressive House fan, not just the House fan I was before.

This is not the minimalistic tasty house music style of guys like the amazing Ricardo Villalobos, but rather an obnoxious journey into face-smashing beats. This is solid electronic "house" music that should be reserved for bone-rattling parties where Four On The Floor is being called for. It is important to digest this album on a quality stereo system with a subwoofer, not headphones. I feel tested by this album, slowly warming up to the more over the top tracks like A City In Florida. The end result is a discovery of something new I didn't previously like. Some listeners will be better prepared than I.

In summary I really appreciate the composition and musical value of this not-for-the-faint-at-heart album. For those already versed in the ways of Deadmau5 I'm sure you already own this album. Either way I would call 4x4=12 to be one of the gold standards of modern electronic dance music. It will supercharge you!
on January 12, 2014
$5? Are you kidding me? That's just insulting! This album is so awsome! Animal Rights, Bad Selection, Cthulhu Sleeps, Sofi Needs a Latter, Some Chords, Right This Second, Raise Your Weapon, One Tricky Pony and Everything Before rock!