Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 6, 2012
I bought these as a trial to see which shoe was better between this brand and Merrell. Both shoes/boots give excellent support and traction. I have to say that Merrell wins the comfort battle hands down. There is more cushioning and the feel on my feet is just better.
on October 17, 2013
This is my first pair of 5.11 and if all of their shoes perform this well I will be a life long customer. I was very skeptical of the "no break in time" I was amazed they fit well and performed well from the get go. Wore them the first time for several hours while walking around a show, no issues at all. I even forgot I was wearing brand new shoes.

The sausage laces are cool but they are a little long for my taste but its not a deal breaker by any means.

The mesh top does catch some stickers and such, but its not been a huge deal to clean up. Maybe a little more than other shoes but not so much I would say its an issue.

They are waterproof as described, but still breath pretty good.

Pro:
No break-in time as advertised
Water proof but breathable
Sausage laces stay tied and in place
feels high quality and performs well
very comfortable for long periods of standing \ walking \ hiking etc.

Con:
Mesh top does catch some desert stickers
A little heavier than the average shoe (but they are "low boot")
Sausage laces are a bit longer than they need to be.
on May 3, 2013
These shoes are light-weight and comfortable. The "sausage" shoelaces are a brilliant design to prevent the laces from loosening. I've trying to wear them everyday, even at work just so I can see how comfortable they are.

So after some wearing...try is to tape down the heel tabs so that after a while they no longer stick up and catch the back hem/cuff of your long pants... so not stylish :)
Another disappointment is about the ortholite sole liner/insert. It's cheap, and it is either the shoe design/insole, but the arch support/curve is set back a bit far towards the heel.

I was able to remedy this by buying Sofsole AIRR men's insoles. Now I walk on clouds and all the stomping and trekking is sheer joy.
on May 14, 2013
However, size 13 is a little large for me, but the shoe went on my foot with an insole and I walked over 5 miles...right out of the box. I even forgot that I had on new shoes. I bought a black pair 12 W which should have fit, the Wide being the key. They were small, toes rubbing, didn't have the "wide fit" that you'd expect. That being said, please be careful to not buy the shoe too small. The black pair I bought from another seller, not good. Better to stick with Amazon, they really try to please. The other seller had the attitude..."that's the way it goes."
on June 5, 2013
just these shoes February 27th 2013 it is now June 5th 2013 the suede part of the shoes is separating from the rubber toe tip contacted 511 they told me they will not repair or replace the shoes because I bought them from Amazon and Amazon is not an authorized dealershoe lasted just over 90 days that's about $1 per day
on July 22, 2013
I'd say these are just ok. I've had a couple of different 5.11 footwear items now, and these are pretty standard for what you get from them. Once they were broken in, the seemed to hug my feet a bit more, so knowing that I'd order a size larger next time. I've made up for it by loosening the laces out, and it seems to work for the most part. Once you start beating feet, they act like a sponge for whatever terrain you are in. The mesh on the top and tongue collect seeds and weeds very easily, and embed so well that you'll need a leatherman to pull them out. The suede will collect dirt like crazy, so expect these to always look dirty if you go off the pavement. But my feet stay dry, even after 12+ hours in the sand and rocks, and my feet don't notice the extra load of a pack as much as when I wear boots.
on January 31, 2014
I work as a paramedic and absolutely hate wearing high top boots in the summer and I hate the side zip boots/shoes that are somewhat the norm in my profession. They are comfortable and breathe very well. These and my Company Boots 2.0 are my go to shoes unless the weather is sub-zero. The laces are ridiculously long however, so I replaced them with a shorter set.
on September 9, 2013
These shoes are super comfy . Allday wear with out a worry . Not sure about the name , Trainer as they're a bit heavier than your typical trainer/sneaker/cross trainer style but for me with their intended use being shooting , outdoor , work related use / activities , they perfect ! Stylish looking , comfortable , sized as described and fortunately for me available in a wide size ! They offer good support and roll resistance which i like and do set you into a toe forward , heel up stance which i also like . So once more i'll say this , it's a 5.11 product so you know it's good to go and the quality is going to be there ! So if your looking for something more like a trail shoe , hiking boot type of shoe then this is definitely one to look at and the price point here on Amazon was major bonus as well !!!
on February 27, 2015
Purchased due to the brand and appearance. Comfort was poor, thought after wearing them for some time and breaking them in it would feel better, it did not. Wanted to wear them for range time and training and never got comfortable in them. Finally after a year of having them on one of the shoes last shoelace loop broke and no longer could use the shoes.
on May 6, 2012
5.11 Tactical Trainer

5.11 Tactical Trainer looks like a sneaker at first glance but looks are deceiving. They are much more than a sneaker; they are a tactical boot.
They are light weight and waterproof with breathable membrane inside. The boots will cushion your feet and give ankles support while you are walking or running. The company web site,, [...] says they do not need a break in period. I whole heartily agree with that. On the site I saw that the boot has a Ortholite innersole. According to the company website the Ortholite innersole is designed to help the wearer be comfortable all day wearing the boot.
The boots fit in with the environment . They don't look like a tactical footwear but something you would wear with blue jeans or casual attire. I have worn the boot for over 3 months and there has been no problem with them so far nor do I expect one
If you are looking for a pair of lightweight tactical footwear give the 5.11 Tactical Trainer a try. It is reasonable as the cost is $129.00 MSRP, however some retailers may discount this price.

See 1 answered question