5.0 out of 5 stars Best pack out there
Published on April 5, 2010 by KidElsworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the tall.
Published 20 months ago by EMT-Pete

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pack out there, April 5, 2010
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Sports)
I'm an Army officer and this is one of the best packs on the market. It works as an all-purpose, large capacity travel bag and a rough tactical 3-day pack. The build quality is the best out there (1050 denier, stronger than 1650) with sturdy zippers. The multitude of zippered, mesh storage on the inside is GREAT. The cherry on top is its low profile when it's not filled. If you are only carrying a few things the bag stays thin and doesn't look like you are going camping at Starbucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camelbak BFM vs. 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 (One Year Update), August 15, 2012
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Wireless Phone Accessory)
First, I want to say I bought the updated Rush 72, from Amazon Warehouse deals as "Like New" When I got it, it had the tags, and it was clean but it contained some candles and a love letter. Apparently it was a Christmas gift turned back into Amazon with the gifts and notes inside. So, take note, buying used can produce some interesting results.

Now to the review. I have a CamelBak BFM 100oz Black that I have used for camping, a Bug Out Bag, traveling, and for military use. It's comfortable to wear, even with a heavy load of about 35 lbs, assembled in the USA, and made of Cordura, so why buy the RUSH 72? I was curious about it and I wanted to return the BFM to it's original role as a BOB.

So for this review I want to compare the two, so shoppers can understand the similarities and differences between them. So first they both are about the same size about 48L to 51L depending on what advertisement you use, but the RUSH 72 is a little taller. They both are well organized, and both have water repellant capabilities. Now let's look at the differences.
Pleae note, these are tactical backpacks so they are not good at holding books, folders, or computers, though they can do it of course.

The BFM 500:

It's assembled in USA, where as the RUSH is made in Vietnam. Camelbak uses Corudra, and 5.11 Tactical uses standard nylon. They both have outer pockets to hold MREs, Water bottles etc. but the BFM's stick out to the side, while the RUSH 72 are sleeker, going into the pack itself. I personally like the Camelbak's version better. It's easier to insert something in them, and they don't take up pack space. On the other hand the RUSH 72 it's difficult to insert something like an MRE, only cylinder shaped things like bottles fit well. Also, the BFM comes with a water bladder.

The RUSH 72:

It's function and capabilities are similar to the BFM. The BFM has better material, and a lot better craftsmanship (The RUSH 72 has some loose thread, and after seven weeks of use, shows signs of loosening. The Camelbak's threading holds much better in place.) Now, the RUSH 72 has a yoke for the shoulder straps which takes getting use too. In fact the RUSH 72 has a learning curve. You have to get comfortable with the feel of the yoke, and depending on your frame you may have to get used to the feel of the tucked away waist belt poking into your sides. After a while you don't notice them anymore. One thing I like though in the main compartment is that the RUSH 72 has a pocket for holding a laptop computer, or radio. The BFM uses straps instead. One thing I don't really like is the RUSH's spill over compartment. If you have a helmet or something it's good to have, but in daily use it just gets in the way. You have to use all the buckles to hold it down, or it will flop open. This also means it's slower to open, close, and keep stable. It's hard to describe but look at a picture of the RUSH and you'll understand. My solution was to have some Velcro attached to hold it tighter in place.

What's the same?

The water repellant material on both packs works well, but I might have to give the nod to the RUSH. Both packs have been in rain storms, but I would say, using anecdotal evidence the RUSH 72 kept my belongings more dry. Both packs have a rear top pocket. On the BFM it's big enough for gloves, night vision equipment, etc. but it has no mesh compartments for small items. On the other hand the RUSH's top compartment is so small it's useless for gloves, and such items. However it has mesh pockets for holding small items. If only the best of both packs were used to make a big rear top pocket with a nice mesh pocket.

The Verdict

It depends on what you want. For quality it's Camlebak. For military application I like the BFM better actually. The outside pockets hold bulky items better, and the rear top compartment is big and useful. For my civilian travels I like the RUSH 72 better. The inside radio/laptop pocket holds my computer well, and keep it dry, and the rear top pocket with mesh is good for holding my iPod, and other miscellaneous items. The fleece lined eye glass holder is okay, but becomes near useless if the main compartment is full.

Update

Well it's been about a year since I got the RUSH. I've recently replaced it with a RAPDOM Rapid 96 Hour backpack.
The RUSH has held up well even with the loose threading. After about seven months I could stop burning off unraveling thread. Having said that it doesn't look new. The right side pocket zipper pull came off, but that's no big deal. The nylon has held up well, but you see the dirt marks that are left over even after cleaning, and the uneven tone of the bag from being exposed to lots of rain, snow, mud, and sunshine. I used it a lot. So why did I replace it? One It's not comfortable to don/doff. The straps easily get twisted up when putting it on, and they snag on something coming off.One of my coats lost a button because of this. Also, the spill over pouch and the admin section only work well when the bag is loaded down. Otherwise the weight in the admin pouch will pull the back section of the bag down, making it sag. However I'm using it as a bug out bag now, and it works fine in that regard. There's enough bulk in the main cargo area to make the admin pouch and spillover pouch stay in place, and the extra pockets come in handy. Really the RUSH 72 unlike the RAPDOM and Camelbak BFM can't be comfortably worn unless it is loaded down to keep the rear section from sagging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Ruck, January 10, 2011
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Sports)
Purchased this for an upcoming deployment (fourth OIF/OEF tour), so I knew what I was looking for, and this pack is it. Picking out the right ruck and getting it "right-sized" is difficult; too large and you're dragging around a piece of luggage; too small and you're tying gear to the outside, snagging it on everything. Quality was important to me as well & 5.11 has a very good reputation.

PROS:
- qualtity is superb - very rugged - built to withstand abuse
- pockets - lots of 'em and very usable; easy to organize
- expandable - webbing allows numerous MOLLE attachment points
- built in Camelbak compatability
- Right size to accomodate a 3-4 day patrol in cold weather

CONS: NONE (it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding., January 11, 2012
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Wireless Phone Accessory)
This bag was worth every penny. I'm USAF Security Forces, and after my last bag (MOLLE 3 Day Military Assault Pack Backpack - OD Green) fell apart during my deployment, I decided it was time to look into the names of companies I knew about. That brought me to 5.11, and eventually the 72 pack. I take between 40 and 70 pounds of gear to work everyday, so I need a bag that can withstand punishment, and give me peace of mind knowing that it's not gonna break and send my gear everywhere. After I received the bag, I filled it up, and I still have room for more gear. The nylon feels tough as nails, the handle on the top of the bag feels as strong as they 5.11 claims (2,000 pound breaking point), and it is THE most comfortable bag I have ever carried. Even with my flak vest and LBE on, this bag is still comfortable enough to make me feel like I could ruck for days. The only downside I've come to notice is the tendency for the bag to want to tip forward when I put it on the ground. So, I just attached my IFAK to the lower MOLLE on the front, and fixed the issue. 5.11 came through once again, and this bag has brought me to the conclusion that I will be purchasing anything else I need like this in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bug out bag, August 24, 2011
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Sports)
I've carried a lot of civilian backpacks and military rucksacks in my day and this bag is great for its size. It's the perfect size to make a 72-hour bug out bag with endless options for pockets and the MOLLE webbing throughout the pack. I also bought the 5.11 Tactical MOAB 10 to use as a quick go-bag with the bare essentials and use the Rush 72 as a larger bag to carry food, clothing, and shelter. Using the Rush-tier strap system, you can dock your MOAB bag to any of the Rush series bags. This is a quality bag that will stand up to many years of abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged, comfortable and exactly what I was looking for., May 14, 2012
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Based on a recommendation, I bought the Rush 72 for this year's Bataan Memorial Death March. For those not in the know, Bataan is a 26.2 mile marathon march around White Sands Missle Range in New Mexico. I needed a pack that had large capacity (I carried 65 lbs in it), durability (trained and generally abused it for 3 months) and comfort. The Rush 72 delivered in all three catagories.
Throughout the entire marathon I rarely felt the weight on my back, as the kidney pads helped distribute the majority of the weight onto my hips and there was very little re-adjustment of the shoulder straps.
The amount of space is incredible, as I was able to fit canned goods (for weight and donation at the end), extra shoes and a first aid kit in the main compartment and still have lots of room to spare in the various other pouches and compartments.
One of my biggest concerns was the hydration compartment and whether or not it would protect the bladder from a 'rucksack flop' (grunts - you know what I'm talking about). I've had terrible luck in the past keeping bladders intact in previous packs/aid bags. I can honestly say that as I abused this pack with gusto and enthusiasm, I never once popped a bladder.
On a different note, I was able to use this as a carry-on (albeit with just a laptop and a few other items), so even with its large size, the compression straps squeeze it down into a very manageable size.
I have been sold on 5.11 and would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a good pack that can stand up to abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is HUGE, March 29, 2013
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Okay, I have had a Rush 24 bag for just under a year now, I use it as a daily EDC bag; school, gym, etc. Plenty of room for daily use and I could carry a lot of stuff actually, first term of school I had 40+ pounds of books (in addition to various binders, laptop, etc) and no wear, sure it gets a little dirty but it holds it great, I throw the bag with my books or clothes in it on the ground or into my car everyday and it's holding up nicely. Anyway, I decided to grab the Rush 72 since I tend to go on 3+ day trips and the 24 was just a little too small for me to bring everything I need. When I opened the package, my first thought was "Holy crap this thing is HUGE", cause it is. It dwarfs my Rush 24. I picked up the Tier straps as well so I could piggyback my 24 on the 72. I plan on going overseas this summer and I just tried fitting my stuff in the 72, plenty of room for a solid 5-6 days worth of clothing. I haven't measured it fully packed yet but it -should- be just under the carry on limit, if you're a frequent flier, which is nice.

This bag would be way overkill for daily use, but if you're going somewhere and need a pack that can swallow tons of gear, this is it. I have tons of 5.11 gear and their stuff lasts and is well designed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the tall., April 29, 2013
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Sports)
First, this bag can haul a serious amount of gear and is very well organized. I was tired of carrying multiple bags to the station and don't like duffle bags, so this was almost the perfect solution. A heavy 17-inch gaming laptop, a queen size down comforter, and an extra pillow in addition to changes of clothes, multiple textbooks, and food (I like to be comfortable on shift). If you actually need to attach bags or compartments to the outside of this thing because you need the room, just go buy yourself a wagon instead. There's plenty of room.

I remove one star for a slight break in the stitching at the edge of the yoke. This occurred as I was putting the pack on fully loaded. In its defense, it was carrying a moderately heavy load (~40lbs). But I don't think it would be any lighter if I had packed it with "3 Days" of survival gear or anything else for that matter. The stitching should have held.

I remove another two stars for the belt design. I do some backpacking and have some expectations when it comes to hipbelts. I love that it can be tucked away when not needed; this is a cool feature I hope to see in other designs. As padded as it is, I expected this belt to be useful for proper load distribution. But I am 6'2" and because it has no vertical height adjustment, it is useless to me. The belt comes together somewhere around my navel, meaning it does nothing to distribute the pack weight to my hips as a padded hipbelt should. If you were going Bear Grylls and running through a jungle for no good reason (seriously, why is he always running?), this belt would keep your pack from flopping. That's it. Your shoulders would carry all the weight and your back would suffer (after ducking all those trees, or zombies, or enemy fire, or whatever). Otherwise, I estimate you should be between 5'9" and 6'0" if you want to get some utility out this belt. And maybe that was by design; maybe 5.11 made the right decision to build the bag for the average-height male. Or maybe it is just a heavily padded "waistbelt" and not a "hipbelt." Either way, it's not for me.

I still have the bag even though I don't use it for my original purposes anymore. My stitching and hipbelt grievances make it closer to a piece of luggage than anything else. I also have a Rush 12 which I love. No grievances there.

5.0 out of 5 stars great 3 day assault pack, July 6, 2013
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Sports)
the fabric is good even though its made in Vietnam, I like the design and the shoulder strap that really fits perfect and comfortable, plus the main compartment of this bug has a lot of pockets, which amaze me. I normally used this for travel around, and it looks good in all the shirt or polo shirts that I wear. (O.D)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel bag: sturdy, comfortable and versatile, October 9, 2013
This review is from: 5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack (Sports)
Bought this for a 3 week trip through Europe and couldn't have been happier. The main compartment was plenty large enough for a week's worth of clothes, but not so large to be a problem on public transit. The chest strap and waist straps kept the bag comfortably on shoulders, and the top handle took plenty of abuse.

On our various stops, the smaller outside bags were great for immediate access to toiletries and other frequently used items. The side sizing straps also made the pack very usable for day hikes.

My only complaint was losing the chest strap to an airline baggage system snag - I should have used a cover bag. But 5.11's excellent customer service quickly got me a replacement.

5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack