Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV King Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Color: BlackChange

on December 1, 2012
I was looking for a small bag to carry a laptop, an extra layer, a few tools, admin stuff, snacks and this is it. I didn't want a hip belt, and this doesn't have one - tho it does provide hardware to fashion one out of 1.5" webbing if wanted.

Main compartment is big enough for my 13" Macbook Pro, an extra layer or two, files, books ... It has a couple of mesh pouches that help organize your stuff. I have chargers in one, and a hat and gloves in the other.

The front compartment has plenty of room and compartmentation to stow tools, admin stuff, snacks, meds... and a zippered compartment big enough for folded papers, cards, cash ... Two straps with clips hold keys or small tools. Lots of nice touches.

Outstanding combo of molle and velcro panels on the outside to attach stuff. I have a Condor EMT Pouch on one side, a 5.11 H2O Carrier on the other, and a suave MilSpec Monkey patch on the velcro panel.

The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because the back panel, which opens up for easy access to a hydration bladder, doesn't have either velcro, nor molle panels to allow utilization of this space in the absence of a bladder. It would be pretty close to perfect for tools, or for concealed carry if it was so equipped ...

But workmanship is outstanding. It is a small bag, but it's nearly perfect for my requirements for an every day carry pack. See my pictures above for more details.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
0Comment87 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2014
March 2014:

Several folks have asked about the size and proportions of this backpack, I imagine because a handful of reviewers have stated the pack looks comically small on their frame. The dimensions are, very roughly, 12 inches in width and 18 inches in height. In terms of its scale, it is indistinguishable from any regular backpack you see on campus -- in fact, I have seen a number of these Rush 12's being worn by other students.

December 2014:

The backpack has survived three semesters and several road trips now with no visible wear or tear whatsoever. Zippers and stitching are still strong and intact, the bottom isn't stretching despite sometimes having to carry four or five thick textbooks and accompanying notebooks.

April 2015:

Over a year old, now, and the Rush 12 has survived day-to-day use without a single complaint. The backpack has endured everything from hauling textbooks and a change of clothes from one state to the next, to a weekend of rappelling. No tears, no zipper problems, it doesn't even get that dirty, somehow.
review image
11 comment25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2011
This bag is so well constructed that I really forget about trying to baby it. It's stitching and molle system is just awesome. I typically carry on any given day as part of my EDC:

Maxpedition Triad Admin Puch (See my review for that)
Klean Kanteen w/sleeve
Macbook Pro 13-inch
Droid X
Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight and Watertight First Aid (Custom)
Olive Green Shemagh
Paclite Goretex Shell
Frontier Pro Water Filter
Platypus 3l Collapsable
Platypus 100 oz Hydration System
Smith Pocket Knife Sharpener
RAT 3 Fixed Blade

That is just a light carry...weighing in around 10pounds or so...If I really cram it in there I can hold SOOOO much more and then some. The great thing about this bag is its small size, it is very un-assuming and can easily be carried without allot of fatigue. The harness system and yolk around your neck is probably one of the most comfortable systems I have ever used and I am a total gear and bag junkie so that is saying allot.

I just got the 5.11 Bail Out Bag and will be switching the Rush twelve to my primary Day Hike and Bug Out Bag using the the new bag as my EDC (I carry to much crazy stuff to work)...I will leave the Rush twelve safely in my car for use if the SHTF. I have had allot of bags and this is up there with one of the best I have ever owned.
44 comments63 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2011
Years ago I switched from using a brief case to a back pack for daily use at work. I'm out and about quite a bit visiting clients and like to have my hands free. This is the first time I have found a back pack that is close to perfect.

This bag is not to big and fantastically organized so that everything has a home and I still have a large main compartment for my computer (12" screen when not plugged into a dock), journal and paperwork. In particular I love the mesh pockets inside the main compartment which really help to keep stuff organized and out of the way and the admin pocket. The workmanship and materials are also top notch, so I expect that I will be using it for years to come.

A couple of tips / ideas that I have which may be of interest are as follows:
- I keep a light gortex jacket tucked away in the hydration pocket. It provides additional padding for my back and is out of the way and readily available in case of rain.
- This pack is not designed as a computer bag. Therefore, I have incorporated a neoprene computer sleeve to protect my computer in the main compartment. I've also placed a wide Sam Splint (which fits perfectly)on the bottom of the main compartment for added protection when setting the computer down. The Sam Splint also acts to keep the computer off the bottom of the bag and thus dry in case its put down on something wet or something spills.
- for quick access pens fit perfectly in the molle webbing on the outside of the admin pocket
- I've added a mini screw carabiner to the molle webbing above to admin pocket so that I can attach the cord pull from the top pocket to it. This insures that the top pocket cannot open accidentally or to easily. You could do the same thing with the admin pocket but one semi secure pocket is fine for my use.
- finally I've added a maxpedition mini rollypolly (which fits up to a one quart nalgene bottle) to the side to carry water bottles etc. as required.

I'm very happy with this pack for my every day use and would recommend to a friend.
11 comment59 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2012
I don't feel I have much to add to the already glowing reviews this bag has received. The main thing I will note though, as I've seen this contradicted many places:

You can fit a 13" MBP in the hydration sleeve. I placed about a 1" thick piece of high density foam in the bottom of the sleeve and then the MBP fits in perfectly.

Since I use this primarily as an urban/school bag I do not utilize a hydration pouch, so this is a great place for my laptop since I don't need to get another sleeve and have some extra room for books in the main compartment.
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2014
My old backpack (similar to a SwissGear Model 1908 in size and form) was on its last legs and was too bulky for comfortable flying. My family called it the "Backpack of Death" when I wore it traveling as it was pretty good sized. It gave up the the ghost on my last trip and I needed a new one. I was at first concerned that I could get the entirety of my "mobile office" in the RUSH 12 pack. All I can say is - room to spare. Here's what fits comfortably in to the main compartment:

1 15 inch laptop in an Amazon Basics 15.6 inch neoprene sleeve. This shapes the back of the pack nicely
1 8.5" x 11" legal pad (same location as the laptop)
2 Eagle Creek "quarter-cube" packs containing various electronics, USB attachments, cables, external HD, mouse, pens, straight edge, etc.
1 "Classic" sized Franklin-Covey planner.

Front top pocket: First aid kit, small container of daily meds, LED flashlight, USB drive and a couple of pens.

Front "Admin" pocket - a couple of pens, note paper, small camera and lots of room to spare.

I added a Maxpedition EDC Pocket organizer with a small notepad and a pen + Sharpie in it using the MOLLE webbing and Maxpedition Tac-Tie on the side to hold my phone/wallet while going through security.

This pack will easily fit under the seat of any MD80-or-larger jet and will probably fit under the seat of the Embraer regional jets and turboprops and more easily in the upper bin of those smaller jets.

PROS: Lightweight, holds a ton of stuff, including a 15 in laptop. MOLLE webbing all over the pack will allow for a lot of customization for both travel or tactical/range use.

CONS: No computer padding (need to supply your own if you want it). Will NOT fit a 17 in laptop in a sleeve (tried that).

If you think this pack is going to be too small for you, I urge you to give it a try anyway. It is surprisingly roomy and comfortable for travel.
on September 14, 2011

A couple of tips / ideas that I have which may be of interest are as follows:

11 comment13 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2012
Looked for the right backpack to suit my needs. This one fills the bill. The only concern is that the straps are a little thick, which makes carry on one shoulder a little tedious. Both straps on - can wear it all day.
on May 5, 2015
Would give five stars, however, the clip in the front pocket that holds key rings feel off within the first week. A major purchase point for me on this backpack was durability, so I hope that the rest of the bag is well made and this one key ring holder was the only weak point. We will see, I will surely update this review if it continues to fall apart..

Also, the bag itself is heavier than I expected. But I checked the description and it is listed as 3 pounds, which seems about right. I don't have any issue with the weight though; the bag carries weight so well that all in all it seems much lighter than my other generic school backpack with the same contents.
review image
on June 8, 2012
A bit smaller than I thought this would be (thats what happens when you buy online). It's almost exactly the same size and shape as my son's Body Glove backpack. I can see using this as a book bag for school or for mountain biking. I'm 5'8" 160 and the profile is narrow on the back, and sits several inches above the waist. It would be great for an extended day mountain bike ride in the backcountry (food, medical kit, bike stuff. jacket), especially with the water bladder insert. This would really stay out of your way if you were doing lots of moving. The straps are probably the most comfortable I have experienced on a pack. A little disappointed on the depth of the main compartment, but it does have LOTS of zippered pockets everywhere in and out. Does feel very solid and should last a long time. I will load it up as best I can and if I can't use it for what I wanted it for, I will keep it to use for commuting to work, laptop, etc.

UPDATE: The pack actually holds a surprising amount of stuff. The outer pocket will ALMOST hold a size 9 pair of sneakers (you just can't quite zip it all the way). I find myself grabbing for it quite a bit. Very versatile, nice, small pack.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse