5.5 vs. 6.0 (Classic) which one is better? Now, I still see few "dissents" who prefers the 5.5 gen EVEN after the vast fixes that 6.0 underwent. Anyone can gives a valid reason WHY 5.5 is still better than ipod Classic?
asked by classical newb on March 16, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
votes
for me, 5.5 > 6 because the alternative firmware rockbox supports gen 5.5 but not gen 6.
Amazon Customer answered on April 20, 2009

A
votes
I second the motion towards Rockbox. I just got an 80gb 5.5 on ebay specifically to put Rockbox on it, and it's fantastic. If anyone out there has a 5.5 and you're at all annoyed by iTunes, and/or by its limitations on file formats supported, and the fact that it doesn't actually let you transfer your own files onto the player, you should seriously consider checking out Rockbox and upgrading your player to a digital powerhouse. Even after you've put Rockbox on, you can still boot into the original Apple firmware rather easily, if you're concerned about that.
Mike Schmitt answered on January 14, 2010

A
votes
There are severe engineering "flaws" which greatly affect the audio quality on the 6th gen classic. It has to do with the cirrus dac which is being used in the newer ipods. im not sure when or if apple has fixed or intends to fix this problem, but until something is done about it, i intend to stick with my 5.5g ipod.
J. Medinilla answered on May 9, 2009

A
votes
Audio output quality is superior to 6 & 7 generation models. I understand there are frequencies the human ear cannot hear under/over a given range. When it comes to low frequencies however what cannot be "heard" can be "felt" by speakers designed to reproduce the lowest frequencies. The difference is noticeable with my stock car audio speakers and the after market JBL speakers I replaced them with clearly demonstrated with model would work best for me. I suppose it's preference but I imagine that those who prefer the previous or earliest generations know what specific type of sound we want out of our audio system.
David M Lucio answered on April 25, 2014
‹ Previous   1   Next ›