5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and practical

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, but anecdotal, not scientific
Published on August 15, 2001 by Bart Tare

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and practical, May 30, 2000
This review is from: 5-Htp (Mass Market Paperback)
I disagree with the previous reviewer. Perhaps it was Michael Murray himself or a family member who wrote it. I have read three books on 5-HTP and without hesitation I can say Dr. Sahelian's book was the most informative, practical, and clinical. The low dosages he recommends, along with his personal and professional experiences that tolerance can develop and one should not use 5-HTP all the time without a break are all very helpful. I got sick from 5-HTP when I followed Michael Murray's recommendation of taking more than 300 mg a day. I got nauseated and threw up. I don't think other authors of books on 5-HTP have as much experience as does Dr. Sahelian.I'm doing much better now with the Medical Doctor's advice.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5-HTP Decisions, July 21, 2000
This review is from: 5-Htp (Mass Market Paperback)
Regarding the previous two reviews, each has merit. The bottom line is that both books offer considerable information on the benefits of 5-HTP. For many it is proving to be a viable solution to the conditions that plague so many. Sahelian's book offers clear cut information that is easy to understand. My sister has taken 5-HTP for a while now and is seeing great improvement without suffering from the side effects of the SSRI she had been on previously. A site where she has had great service as well as a variety of product choices is iHerb. She is pleased that they offer several choices of 5-HTP with dosages as low as 50 mg. so she could initially start with a low dosage and then find what works best for her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, but anecdotal, not scientific, August 15, 2001
This review is from: 5-Htp (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the only book I have read on 5-HTP. I have tried several different SSRIs for anxiety and depression, but I am not fond of their various "side effects." Having experimented a little with St. John's Wort, kava, passionflower, and SAM-e (which, as of October, does work for me, but inconsistenly), all to no avail, I wanted to give 5-HTP a try. I agree that Ray Sahelian's book is both hopeful and cautious. Reading it gave me hope that 5-HTP might have some benefit. However, while Sahelian does go to great effort to document evidence of this drug's success via the various (mostly European) studies and trials that have taken place with 5-HTP, it's clear that many of these studies are too small to be of any real scientific value. (Most involve only 20-30 participants.) And, because of the small scale of most of these studies, Sahelian's whole book has a very anecdotal quality to it. This is reinforced by the fact that Sahelian bases some of his conclusions about 5-HTP's effectiveness on his own successful experimentation with the drug. I also find it a little scary that, even though Sahelian does take a cautious tone, this book sort of presents 5-HTP as something that's mostly safe. However, we know very little about the long-term effects of taking 5-HTP. It would be great if our society was devoted to investigating something such as 5-HTP more thoroughly as it seems to hold such promise. Unfortunately, my few experiments with 5-HTP have not proved to be as positive as Mr. Sahelian's. I have ended up feeling extremely anxious and wired when I take 5-HTP. That's frustrating to me, as I would like to believe that 5-HTP could provide some of the benefits of SSRIs without the annoying side effects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I needed to know about 5-HTP., October 20, 1998
By A Customer
The most honest report on 5-HTP that I have every read. The author relates his personal and professional experiences in addition to explaining the research in a simple manner. I loved the practical step by step guidelines outlined to treat obesity and depression, which is what I have. I found the caution and side effect chapter to be very honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scientific, cautious, extremely informative--a joy to read., October 16, 1998
By A Customer
I was extremely impressed by the effort it must have taken Dr. Sahelian to take the complicated science of 5-HTP and serotonin and explain it in a simple, well-referenced way. I feel I now know exactly how it works. He gives step by step guidelines on how to use low doses of 5-HTP with other nutrients and herbs for depression, insomnia, anxiety, and weight loss. Just like his DHEA book, I appreciated the full and honest discussion on cautions and side effects.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful online review, December 30, 2003
G. L. Hester "codefool" (Tomball, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I have been researching 5-HTP for some time, and using the web as a vital resource. When evaluating books on the subject, this one came highly rated by an online review by Steven Wm. Fowkes, Sr. Director of the Cognitive Enhancement Research Institute (CERI):
[...]
I recommend anyone considering reading a book on 5-HTP to examine this review first. I would publish it here, but for the copyright considerations. Cheers!

3.0 out of 5 stars 5-HTP is great, but this book doesn't present it very well, December 7, 1999
By A Customer
I have used 5-HTP and it worked great for me; I had immediate and lasting better quality sleep and improved mood that far surpassed the ssri drugs. But the book is really wishy-washy when it comes down to the personal comments from users; the comments are poorly worded, sometimes have no bearing on 5-HTP, and leave the reader wondering if this supplement really has any value. A junior in high school could of written a better book. Get the Michael Murray, ND book instead, it is definitely the best book out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and entertaining read, September 14, 2008
This review is from: 5-Htp (Mass Market Paperback)
Like all Sahelian's books, this one on 5-HTP is accessible and comprehensible to all of us without qualifications in chemistry or psychiatry. An amino acid, 5-hydroxitryptophan is a natural alternative to anti-depressants like Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil. Whereas the drugs work by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin, 5-HTP raises serotonin levels in a natural way and therefore has fewer and less severe side effects. The seeds of the Griffonia Simplicifolia tree is a rich source of 5-HTP.

The author discusses the whole spectrum of the substance's application in e.g. alleviating depression, reducing anxiety, counteracting compulsive & obsessive behavior, weight loss & the suppression of food cravings, assisting with sound sleep, alleviating migraine, treating alcoholism and inhibiting hyperactivity. In addition, he appraises other supplements that have shown some efficacy in these conditions and that may enhance the therapeutic effect of 5-HTP.

Sahelian's personal experiences with the supplement are described in detail, whilst physicians that use it in practice provide a wide range of opinions & observations. The effectiveness of 5-HTP is dependent on many variables, all of which are investigated, e.g. dosages, when to take it, on an empty stomach or with food & its interaction with caffeine. The amino acid Tryptophan which has a milder antidepressant effect also receives attention.

For more information on 5-HTP, I recommend 5-HTP The Natural Alternative to Prozac by John Morgenthaler and for further information on a wide spectrum of natural memory, mind & mood enhancers I recommend Mind Boosters by Sahelian, The DHEA Breakthrough by Stephen Cherniske and the work of Ronald Klatz.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful book, December 12, 2008
This is a eye opening book if you have an understanding of natural medicine or amino acids or are just curious about the many uses of 5-HTP. Ray Sahelian is specific and clear in explaining the various theraputic uses of 5-HTP as well as the fact that all of the vitamin companies that sell it in capsule form, usually offer it in a mg. strength that is at least double or triple of what is needed to obtain the desired theraputic results. If you have tried 5H and it hasn't worked for you, or has given you nightmares or made you really sleepy, I recommend you get this book and try it again, in the doses he suggests, and with the other supplements for your given conditon. Lots of good information here.

5.0 out of 5 stars read this book before you order the 5-HTP, May 19, 2014
TAKEN 5-HTP PILLS IS VERY DANGERES!!! If your thinking of trying the 5-htp diet,,,( Don't) till you read this book or any other book on 5-htp.Lots of side affects...Two mention.. I'm glad I read the book first...Theres lots of complations if you have any kind of ailments.I just wanted to lose wt, and cillmy appertight.......but when I red the side affects ! I wont touch them. Get the book first! then decied about ordering the pills. One thing is for sure! If you have any health problems at all. Don't even consider it... Not to mention the pills can get very exspensive !!! at 3times day the higher the dose, the more danger you put your self in. buyer be warnd !!

5-Htp
5-Htp by Ray Sahelian (Mass Market Paperback - July 1, 1998)
Used & New from: $0.01