Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

• 5

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 24, 2011
A few years off have done good things for Lamb. Their last record (2004's "Between Darkness & Wonder") made it clear that Andy Barlow and Louise Rhodes were headed for musical splitsville. But in the interim, with Barlow doing lush jazzy lounge electro with Lowb and Lou doing her own acoustic folk, it became clear that a reunification made sense, and by 2011 they were ready to hit us with "5."

Like many bands, Lamb's instinct is to mellow with age. This is their quietest record, with only one powerful driver ("Build A Fire"), and the quietest tracks are also the best, notably "Another Language," "Last Night The Sky," and "The Spectacle." Never a belter or siren, Rhodes's voice feels most at home when she's crooning over a simple piano refrain, or an undulating bassline, and Barlow largely dials back his production to make room for her.

"5" most resembles their third record "What Sound," but stripped of much of its electro glitch breaks and replaced with more atmospherics and Latin percussion. Only "Strong the Root" in any way recalls band's breakout early days of polyrhythmic jazzy drum-n-bass. But that's not a bad thing.
on May 5, 2011
I think my review is going to be a bit biased because I'm a huge Lamb fan. I ordered the CD as a pre-order way back in October and it finally arrived yesterday. I've been patiently waiting for Andy and Lou to get back together and after several years they have come together for a piece that does not disappoint. Everything is in true Lamb fashion: moving, relaxing, and deep - a great chillout album.

Upon first listen the album starts out strong with "Another Language." Other songs to take special note of are "She Walks" and "Last Night The Sky."

Andy and Lou - Thank you for providing your fans with the music that we know and love so much. Beautiful.
on October 27, 2011
I'll keep this short, since nobody wants to read a tome about a work of art. If you're considering whether you should buy this, well, just buy it. It's cheap, and God knows that we need to support artists who write such beautiful music. Nearly every song on the album is a 5/5 as far as lyrical content is concerned. The songwriting is so incredibly strong. The songs pretty much hit you across the face with their meaning. There's no need to waste time "interpreting" what the "song could mean". It's laid right out there for you, with lyrics like

"I had a dream that all of time was running dry
And life was like a comet falling from the sky
I woke so frightened in the dawning, oh, so clear
How precious is the time we have here"

The album hit me at exactly a time when I needed it the most. The melodies all do take a few listens to get used to, but I found that to be the case with nearly every Lamb album I've heard. That being said, I found the best song by far to be "Last Night The Sky" not least because of the seamless blending of strings and hard-hitting percussion (a la Gabriel and Gorecki, from previous albums).

A very powerful album. Buy it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 22, 2011
UK Trip Hop/Electronic duo Lamb haven't released an album of new material in 8 years. In that time, each developed their creative sides on solo work or side projects.

"5" is their new album and fifth, and I must say vocalist Lou Rhodes' vocals have gotten softer and more emotive, perhaps due to her solo Folky work. The album is filled with typically brooding string-swathed pieces laced with scratchy beats and effects. Opening track "Another Language" perfectly epitomises this.

Other standouts are "Butterfly Effect" (with snare beats), "Build A Fire" (with sporadic bursts of fuzzy electric guitar), the spare "Strong The Root" (with drum machines working overtime), the tender acoustic "Rounds", the dreamy waltz-like "Last Night The Sky" (with crashing beats), the beautiful piano/string ballad "The Spectacle", and the dark and majestic waltz "Back To Beginning" which is a duet with Damien Rice.

"Wise Enough" has got to be the best song though, a tender reflective ballad with vulnerable vocals by Rhodes with lyrics seeking the reason for our existence. "We have a chance to make a difference till our dying day" she croons to a meandering shuffle which builds to a euphoric instrumental climax before dying in a whisper. Devastatingly beautiful!
44 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2011
More lovely music from Lamb. Not as different from their past as other reviews might lead you to believe. Still emotionally powerful in all aspects. This is what they do so well. Making songs that are each individual. Each has lyrics, melody and rhythm that all contribute to the song's emotional content to make one forceful statement. Each song unique in its emotional direction but all successful in this one thing that they do so well. Lamb should be the biggest band on the planet and they should have been that since their first album.

to Lamb: Please know that you are loved and that you inspire many with your incredible songs. Every person that hears Lamb for the first time are blown away and wonder why they haven't heard of you before. I have yet to find anyone who is less than amazed by your music. I hope you realize and remember how strong you really are just as I have to sometimes remind myself and others around me that we all can be.

-Karl
on November 27, 2012
This duo has been laying low doing solo work. Its great to see them release this album that has folk/jazz influences.
on May 1, 2015
grate electrictronic music
on October 11, 2012
This

melancholical music

hints of genius and serenity.

Can't say I reccomend their other work very highly though.

Hints at more of the same ...
on March 2, 2012
huge "lamb" follower-have all their work---paid full price for this album & after several listenings, concluded they should have stayed disbanded. not one track is memorable, save for 'wise enough'...all the sync percussion, phat bass lines & found sounds are there---just no center to hold it all...forgetable vocal lines..
ashame, they were one of the best drum&bass groups out of london, tho unsung stateside here. do not get this if you're truely interested in them. check out early work; lamb, fear of fours, between darkness..etc. you'll be blown away. lamb is dead-long live lamb
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2015
I set Build a Fire as my ringtone. It's satisfactorily twinkly.