Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on August 17, 2009
A few years ago I bought a game for my PSP titled Ultimate Board Game Collection. That should have been a terrific game, but the controls were so bad that the games were unplayable. But 50 Classic Games for the DS (different company than Ultimate Board Games) has done an excellent job!

Some of the games that are included on the cartridge are: Connect Four, Backgammon, Checkers, Chess, Chinese Checkers, Gomoku, Reversi, Mahjongg, Black Jack, Freecell, Hearts, Klondike, Texas Hold'em, Minesweeper, Simon, Jigsaws, Kakuro, Sudoku, Match 3, Find the Differences, Mastermind, and plenty more. I've spent this much on just a Sudoku cartridge, and here I'm getting so much more. In the Sudoku game, you're even able to put in pencil marks, which are essential for me.

You won't be disappointed if you buy this game!
22 comments|160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2009
I did not enjoy this game at all. I generally enjoy board games, card games and puzzle games (some of my favorite DS games being Touchmaster 1 & 2, Clubhouse Games, Cradle of Rome and Word Jong to just name a few) but was completely disappointed with the game play of this game.

I thought the game was horrible. One of my biggest problems with the game was that your progress was not saved. Why waste the time going through each game, beating your previous score, and racking up the black jack "chips" if they weren't going to carry over after the game was saved. It was a complete waste of time to play. In my opinion, if you are looking for a decent "multi-game"game to play, I would try Touchmaster 1 or 2 or Clubhouse Games.
33 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2009
As a caregiver, I spend a lot of my time in doctors offices, hospital waiting rooms, and hospitals in general. 50 Classic Games makes the "wait time" go so much faster. 50 Classic Games is a "wait time buster" and a "cup of tea" relaxer. Thank you Nintendo.
on August 8, 2010
I agree with other posts, that it is *frustrating* to play these games for hours, & have your game scores just go to the wind when you shut your NDS system off. Why doesn't it save scores? What is the point of logging in with different avatars & user names, if it never saves it when you're done? What were they thinking................................?????

Also on the downside, I find the pervasive blue & white color schemes throughout most of the games vaguely oppressive. After playing a while, I really just wish I could look at something else. A choice of backgrounds would have been nice. But the real problem is, I logged back in, & I wondered where the heck were yesterday's scores................

On the upside, this game set does present a challenging AI that is hard to beat, if you'd like to work at becoming a more experienced player to take on more advanced players. Though I say this with some reservation, because the dealer seems to get an abnormally high number of Dealer Blackjacks (21s), than any other Blackjack game I play. And you can't split doubles. And there are no Wi-Fi internet matches.......

I only paid $10 for mine in 2010, & now, I know why.......... lol What a bummer.

I have a MUCH better time playing "Clubhouse Games", which saves & ranks your scores across multiple spectrums.
on February 20, 2010
Many different games to play. It has board games, card games and puzzles.

I specially enjoy playing "Match 3". It is very similar to the game "Bejeweled". I like the sound of musical crystal breaking when you get a chain of matches. Some of the jewels are locked, unable to move. This makes it a little more challenging since you have to free them by surrounding them with two jewels of the same color.

It offers 5 different "Mahjong" games: "10 Seconds", "Countdown", "Match", "Point Race" and "Standard".

The game "Reversi" (Othello) has 3 difficulty levels: Easy, Normal and Hard.

"Superbrain" is a version of the game "Mastermind" where you have to guess in 10 turns a color combination of 6 differentcolor balls placed in a line of 4 spots.

"Peg Solitaire" looks like an impossible puzzle to solve. I have never won it.

It brings several card games: "Freecell", "Hearts", "Omaha Hold'Em Poker", "Texas Hold'Em Poker", "Black Jack" and the typical solitaire, "Klondike Deal 1" and "Klondike Deal 3".

The "Chess" game comes in difficulties of Easy, Normal and Hard. THEY ALL ARE HARD FOR ME. The computerized opponent beats me fast on the Easy level. That doesn't happen to me with the Chess game that comes with the other collection of DS games, "Club House Games"--I have been able to beat the system with this other game. Same with the PC game "Fritz Chess 2", it has allowed me to win in the beginner's level.

"Chinese Checkers" also comes with Easy, Normal and Hard levels of difficulty. THEY ALL ARE EASY FOR ME.

It brings 100 "Sudokus" that allow you to easily pencil in candidates. It also has another 100 of "Symboku" where you play with symbols instead of numbers.

This game collection, "50 Classic Games", has a few other games and puzzles that I have not mentioned:
"Backgammon"
"Puzzle Pieces"
"Puzzle Strip"
"Matchsticks"
"Spot the Difference"
"Music" (A memory game with crystal tones)
"Kakuro"
"Magic Square" (I, II, III)
"5 in a Row"
"4 in a Row",
etc.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 29, 2011
There are a few good games in this compilation, but even those have some issues.

You can create up to four profiles, but since none of the games has a way to store high scores or, for most games, keep track of your progress, what's the point? I created a profile for me and one for my wife, hoping that we could go head-to-head in some of the games and even keep track of who was winning...but that doesn't happen. If I load my profile, it just assigns a random name and picture to the other person...very frustrating.

A lot of these games have five levels, and that's it. Once you've played that game for five minutes, it's over forever. I wish the maze game and spot the difference game had a lot more levels, those are interesting and pretty well done, but sadly over much too fast.

I'm no world-class expert in any of the games like backgammon, chess, checkers, etc. by any means, but not only does the software play at a low level, it sometimes does amazingly stupid stuff. That takes a lot of the fun out of the game and takes away any satisfaction you can have from winning.

So there are just enough interesting games to keep me from returning this, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. They really need to improve the play of the games and the replay ability before I'd consider this a winning title.
on April 21, 2014
This was a gift for a grandson. It's a new slant on the old "board" games of our youth. The games in this selection are a good contrast to the other more modern-themed games of today. My grandson alternates between those newer games and these classics.
on November 25, 2012
Unfortunately, my DS has a black screen of death that seems to be irreparable. So no more DS for me (good thing I still have my NES, SNES, Cube, and Wii hooked up).

Games like this one are great because when you get bored playing one game, you can move on to the next. You pretty much know what you're getting with classic games. they aren't going to be the newest, most strategic, best graphiced games. But they are what they are: classic! And fun.
on December 2, 2012
Some of the games on this you can play against the computer (DS console) but I cannot get this to work that way I end up playing both parts...well what fun is that I win every time. I have found some other games I had never played to be enjoyable so it is worth the purchase. I got one used and it works just fine.
on August 27, 2013
Some of the games are a lot of fun. Some games, like the maze type, have only 5 variations. I wish there were more. The Backgammon is challenging, the solitaire is ok. There is no way of saving times or scores.