5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect pre-school toy?
**I originally posted this review under the item listing where we had bought this, which is now listed as "discontinued." But it's clear that this is the same item, so I am re-posting it here where more people are likely to see my review. I don't want this outstanding toy to be overlooked!**

I had been thinking for some time of buying "counting bears" to help...
Published on November 15, 2009 by Odysseus

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Cheap
Published on January 1, 2012 by HLGStrider

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect pre-school toy?, November 15, 2009
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)

I had been thinking for some time of buying "counting bears" to help my 3-year-old daughter better connect the math equations she was (totally on her own) memorizing, with real-world understanding of counting, adding and subtracting. I only finally took the leap when I noticed that these bears were available with the free Super Saver Shipping.

OH, what a wonderful purchase. 50 bears, sturdy and plastic, and they're quite cute, sitting upright and easily balanced. The bears' colors are vivid and exactly match the colors of the cups, which are a big part of what separates this toy from others.

Let's face it, kids like to grab things, move them around, arrange them as they see fit, and this is a toy that caters to those impulses. There's no aspect of "Here is how you are SUPPOSED to play with this," no rules, no narrative, nothing to interfere with good old-fashioned manipulation and experimentation.

Almost without fail now -- for several weeks -- my daughter has woken up asking to play with her counting bears. She pours them out on her table, then dutifully sorts them by color, filling in each cup with that color of bear. She hardly needs practice in color recognition or sorting, so at first I thought she might grow bored with this. But I've been so wrong, her play has only become more involved as she's repeated the routine. I haven't needed to try to deliberately use these bears to teach elementary math -- they do it themselves. Very soon we were having conversations about the total number of bears (50), and then how there were ten bears in each of five colors.

She now has me hold open the little plastic bag after each cup is filled, and she comes over and ever-so-purposefully pours each cup's bears into the bag -- first purple, then blue, then green, then yellow, then red. As she does it, she triumphantly announces the numbers. . . "Now there are ten! Now there are twenty! Now there are thirty!" This isn't drilling or work for her, it's purely delighted play. It's a way for her to organize a little world of her own.

I just can't say enough about this wonderful toy. Kudos to the makers -- they really did this one right. Simple, unpretentious, but just enough there to delight a young mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bears to the teachers rescue!, October 15, 2003
By A Customer
I have been searching everywhere for these bears, and was thrilled to finally find them.
I'm a substitute teacher, speciallizing in preschool and elementary grade levels and a long time babysitter. These bears are wonderful tools for helping little ones learn about colors, both naming and sorting, and a whole slew of counting and math activities.
I've found that these bears are helpful for a wide range of age groups. Even if you think your child isn't quite ready for naming or sorting, just letting the child play with the bears, because of their size, can help with fine motor skills. The act of picking up the bears and getting them to stand up right can be a helpful part of play. !*real little ones should probably wait until they've stopped putting things in their mouth for this one.*!
For older children, the fun colors and cute bears make introduction to math a lot of fun, even if it's just the occassional question during play of, "Let's count the red bears that are over here, or I have five green bears, can you help me get to seven green bears?"
I highly recommend these durable and fun toys for anyone whose got a little one, especially if they are hungry to learn and you've not been sure what to use to help them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receptive Language Tool, October 21, 2011
Megan Cassidy (Westford, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)
Aside from all the wonderful, yet obvious uses for this toy (counting, sorting, color recognition, math) my 2.5 year old daughter's Early Intervention teachers use these to work on her language skills (both expressive and receptive). For example, they put bears all around the room and then say "I see a bear ON TOP of the bookshelf!" And my daughter has to listen and go find it. They work on words like "under" "over" "beneath" "between" "near" etc. She loves hunting all around the room and listening to the clues. When sorting, they work on numeracy words like "few" "many" "most" "all" "some" and "none." For example, they will ask her to put a "few" in the cup, or to find "all" the bears and put them in the cup, etc. I love toys that can be used in many, many ways and this one fits the bill! So many great uses!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Cheap, January 1, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)
My almost four-year-old loves to sort and count so I thought these would make a nice stocking stuffer for her this year. I didn't expect them to be her favorite present because I knew she would be getting flashier, larger toys, but I thought that after things had calmed down I could set her up with them at the table and she'd enjoy sorting the bears into cups. Unfortunately, the first of cups broke before she even got to play with them at all. She had taken them out of the packages and looked them over before (as expected) getting distracted by a different toy, so I picked them up and put them in the box with her puzzles and other toys that contain small pieces. A few days later when I went to get them out I discovered that the blue cup was cracked all the way down the side. I know she hadn't played with them for more than a few minutes that first day, and for them to break that quickly is really disappointing. They are about the thickness of those plastic cups that come with some egg dying kits. I can't help but think that they could've invested in somewhat stronger/thicker plastic in order to make these toys durable. I'll probably replace the blue cup with a small drinking cup and hopefully she'll still get some use out of the set, but I wouldn't advise buying this particular sorting set due to how easily this one became damaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of online activities, October 31, 2013
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)
I started using these for sorting and counting, but there are lots of free resources on blogs that you can print off to go with the bears. I also like the size of these bears.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, May 20, 2013
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)
Very poor quality. The package arrived wth the cups already broken! The bears are so tiny - nothing like the image on the item. I'm returning this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves them, July 7, 2014
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)
Loved this product! I am homeschooling my preschooler this fall, and I got these to help with basic math and sorting skills. I haven't used them for school yet, but my son keeps asking to pull them out and play with them! I thought the cups were of sufficient quality and the bears were built solidly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great educational toy, August 23, 2007
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)
This is a great toy to teach colors, numbers and counting. My son loves it! Would recommend this to anyone wanting a fun and educational game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Counting Bears Cause Car Fun, March 28, 2014
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)
My family and I had fun with the bears on a car trip. We used the bears as counters in a car scavenger hunt. If you personally saw items on a list of ten, ex. an orange car, you put a bear in your container. My only suggestion is that I wish the bears were bigger for younger children's safety. Pat Hays

3.0 out of 5 stars good toy, bad seller., December 12, 2013
This review is from: 50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups (Office Product)
Toy itself is fine but mine came in a VERY dirty package and looked like it had been rolled around on the ground. I had to wash it. Also the box was ripped. I don't suggest this seller.

50 Counting Bears with 5 Cups