4.0 out of 5 stars Great Geography Book!
My son (age 6) received this book as a gift and really enjoys looking through the pages. I find the state-by-state progression a great way to bite off chunks of learning and the format is done to make it fun for him to learn some pretty complex material without being bored. The illustrations are excellent and I am getting a bit of geography refresher myself!

My...
Published on December 29, 2011 by gezuvor

2.0 out of 5 stars Thick book, verify the information before you believe it
Published 11 months ago by S. Petty

2.0 out of 5 stars Thick book, verify the information before you believe it, September 10, 2013
S. Petty (Saline, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 States: A State-by-State Tour of the USA (State Shapes) (Hardcover)
I was pleasantly surprised when I first received this book because it was much thicker than I was anticipating. Most 50 states books tend to have one or two pages per state. This one has an average of 4-5 pages per state.It's written from the standpoint of a class of children talking about essays they wrote about the states, and is fairly colloquial(it's written as if the children are talking to each other).

I haven't read the whole thing yet. The reason I'm reviewing it now is the first sentence on page 12: "Birmingham is the capital here, isn't it?" This page is for Alabama, whose capital is Montgomery. It says Montgomery on page 10, and it's on the map as Montgomery. There is no follow-up sentence to indicate that that information is wrong, so it's apparently a mistake. There doesn't seem to be an errata page for the book either, so I have no idea if there are more mistakes in the book. I bought the book for a classroom, and now I don't want to use it in case there are more mistakes that are less obvious. It's a shame because the book is cute, and has some trivia that would have been interesting to share, if I had time to verify it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Geography Book!, December 29, 2011

My only gripe is that the puzzle pieces don't stay in our (first edition) book very well and have to be stashed in a baggie w/the book, while the holes for the (super awesome) quarter map are just small enough that they don't stay without excessive and ultimately fruitless force.

3.0 out of 5 stars USA, January 20, 2014
The book for the most part is good. It's got a lot of colorful illustrations and facts. But none of the coins would stay in their slots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has attached puzzle, December 8, 2011
This is a wonderful sturdy book and of great quality. Highly recommend it! Grandkids will sure love it for Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great State Book, November 21, 2013
The details on the pages are clean, clear and well defined unlike a lot of other state books that are overly cluttered with information. This makes it easy on the kid's eyes (and mine) to look at and really take in the bits of information shared about each state. This book also comes with a puzzle and quarter collecting section. Very Nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classroom resource., September 1, 2013
This is just what I was looking for for my 2nd grade classroom. My students will put it to good use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for Social Studies class for home school, January 20, 2013
I bought this book for S. S. class for homeschool, we were studying these United States and both I and my kids were just thrilled with it. It made the lessons fun and enjoyable. We went state by state. It is colorful and the puzzle is fun.

50 States: A State-by-State Tour of the USA (State Shapes)
50 States: A State-by-State Tour of the USA (State Shapes) by Erin McHugh (Hardcover - November 3, 2010)
$24.95 $17.56