5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Resource, March 22, 2007
This review is from: 50 Ways to Pray: Practices from Many Traditions and Times (Paperback)
If your prayer life is, as Anne LaMott puts it, basically "Help me, help me, help me!!!!" and "Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!" and you want to do something about it, this book is for you. The author goes through 9 different prayer styles - contemplative prayer, praying with scripture, praying with the imagination, praying with media, to name a few - and within each style gives several different ways to pray in that particular style. She gives a very brief history of each style, and clear, step-by-step directions on the specific prayers. Also included is a leader's guide for use with groups. I am using it with my group with great results. We are a varied mix of ladies in age, education, experience with praying, and all are finding it helpful and enriching of our prayer lives. As the leader, the book is very user friendly and easy to use while maintaining the depth and integrity of the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful resource, April 19, 2007
How grateful I am to have a book that offers practical and loving instructions for prayer, without being didactic, paternal or narrow. I especially appreciated the way Blythe reminds us that what we most need to do when attempting prayer, is show up and let God take it from there. Read her introduction to "general principles of group leadership" on page 133 to see what I mean; she counsels small group leaders to call on their gifts and skills while also recognizing that God will work in ways both seen and unseen. I was also glad to be able to learn more about various spiritual exercises that I have heard about and wanted to try, but wasn't sure how or where, to start, or who to ask. As I read 50 Ways to Pray I continually thought of people I know who would appreciate this book, including teenagers. It would form an excellent basis for a group retreat or workshop, as well as personal spiritual exploration. Through her matter of fact yet reverent approach to the Mystery, Blythe offers the reader a model of how we might do the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 ways to pray, November 20, 2009
I love this book! I am a chaplain on a chemical dependency unit and one of the tasks I have given myself is to include prayer as part of the Spiritual Care Curriculum. This offers several different types of prayer--prayer is individual and offering different ways to pray provides for clients an opportunity to select their own way of connecting to their Higher Power.

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 Ways to Pray - Excellent, February 17, 2009
I am using this book for a spiritual exercise class. Most take around 1/2 hour, so it's not a big time committment. People are really enjoying the experience of meditation/silence. There are 50 exercises to choose from - all have been great so far! I highly recommend this for anyone who is interested in the more contemplative side of religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Facilitator's Tool, June 29, 2007
Blythe has gathered an incredible number of spiritual practices and disciplines, and has put them together in meaningful and useful ways. Further, the facilitator's guide at the end of the book is practical and helpful.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to all people who are facilitating spiritual growth groups or spiritual retreats.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource for Developing Patience and Tolerance, April 1, 2010
We are living in difficult times. Unemployment, financial difficulties, and two ongoing wars all lead in many ways to the stress and anger that must be properly channeled and managed. Prayer or meditation can help us deal with stressful situations. Prayer or meditation goes against our using, as human beings, adverse circumstances in angry ways to lock more tightly into our opinions about "Us "and "Them," "For" and "Against," "Friend" and "Foe." They give us the patience and tolerance necessary to free ourselves from biases locked in the notion of "Friend" and "Foe."

"50 Ways to Pray - Practices from Many Traditions and Times" gives instructions in prayer, contemplation, meditation, and discernment, although at times the emphasis is on a variety of Christian traditions. No matter what your religious beliefs are, the book can be a great resource for developing personal awareness, patience, and tolerance for others. Giving a generous understanding of the many modalities of prayer, this book is also for those who thought they only knew one way to pray.

This is a 5-Star book and is highly recommended.
--malekz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read and small group book, November 7, 2012
Ollie D. Kennedy, Jr. (Laurel Springs, NC, US) - See all my reviews
This is a book that will be beneficial for those wishing to grow in their prayer walk with the Lord. I plan to use this in a small group of ladies at my church. Originally it was a class book for a Christian Growth Institute class. Very practical guidance on how to lead and what to do during a class time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, October 9, 2008
This book is excellent in presenting several different ways to internalize scripture and apply it to everyday life through various prayer techniques. Could be used as a study source, to spark new ideas, and/or to examine one's own prayer life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, December 25, 2007
It helped to make my prayers dynamic and alive.

This book provides simplistic approaches to help build a relationship with God through prayer.

I would highly reccomend.

5.0 out of 5 stars complete study of prayer, March 17, 2010
Judith Church (Modesto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Why pray? How do we pray? Teresa Blythe answers these questions in 9 chapters that offer wonderful history of Christian prayer traditions and more than 50 exercises in practicing prayer. An excellent resource for study in a small group, this book contains a concise leader's guide in the back. It has provided me help in 2 settings: 1)during worship time in a weekly small study group and 2)for a break-out session on prayer during a 1-day event.

50 Ways to Pray: Practices from Many Traditions and Times
50 Ways to Pray: Practices from Many Traditions and Times by Teresa Blythe (Paperback - April 1, 2006)
$14.99 $12.65