4.0 out of 5 stars Low Salt, No Problem, Quick too!
500 15-Minute Low Sodium Recipes
By Dick Logue, (author of the cookbook, 500 Low Sodium Recipes.
A review by Marty Martindale, Editor, Foodsite Magazine

These are 500 welcome, quick recipes, and less salt is a bonus whether you need to or not.

Published on July 13, 2012 by Marty Martindale

3.0 out of 5 stars Potential Problem for Hypertension patients
Published 12 months ago by Penthesilea

4.0 out of 5 stars Low Salt, No Problem, Quick too!, July 13, 2012
This review is from: 500 15-Minute Low Sodium Recipes: Fast and Flavorful Low-Salt Recipes that Save You Time, Keep You on Track, and Taste Delicious (Paperback)
500 15-Minute Low Sodium Recipes
By Dick Logue, (author of the cookbook, 500 Low Sodium Recipes.
A review by Marty Martindale, Editor, Foodsite Magazine

Logue has thoughtfully divided the book into three sections: The preliminary part gives helpful tips if you are having difficulty eating less salt. Next are more tips on ingredients and sources. The last is some, not 15-minute, but 5-minute appetizer/made-aheads to better enjoy Part I, ten chapters of "15-Minute Meals from Start to Finish," followed by Part II, eleven "Fix-it-in-15 and Let-it-Cook Meals."

Here is a summary of some of the tempting recipes in this book:

SESAME FRIED CHICKEN
Calls for only low-sodium soy sauce, honey, olive oil, sesame seeds and shrimp

EDAMAME HUMMUS
Only cooked edamame, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin and sesame oil

THAI-STYLE CHICKEN TENDERS
Sesame oil, chicken breasts, fresh ginger, low-sodium Teriyaki Sauce, peanut butter, cayenne pepper and scallions

MICROWAVE SHEPERD'S PIE
Tomato sauce, ground beef, broccoli florets, mashed potatoes and Swiss cheese

PORK CHOPS MOLE
Cumin, chili powder, pork loin chops, olive oil, low-sodium salsa, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cilantro and scallions

PORK AND SLAW WRAPS
Coleslaw mix, chopped onion, mayonnaise, sugar, rice vinegar, lemon juice, celery seed, olive oil, pork loin strips and tortillas

SESAME COD
Cod fillets, unsalted b utter, lemon juice, tarragon and sesame seeds

SAUTEED ASPARAGUS
Asparagus, unsalted butter, lemon juice, almonds and black pepper

MICROWAVE BAKED APPLE
Medium apple, brown sugar, cinnamon and unsalted butter

SLOW COOKER MOROCCAN CHICKEN STEW
Chicken thighs, onion, carrots, apple juice, garlic, cinnamon, black pepper and dried apricots

Near the end of the book, Logue includes an interesting chapter of recipes for homemade breads especially tailored for use with a bread machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars well done!, April 19, 2013
My husband just was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and we had to go to a 2,000 mg sodium diet. I spent 2 hours in the grocery store looking at the sodium content on all the foods and didn't know what I could cook him. This book has everything from homemade breads to lower sodium soy sauce, make aheads and great recipes. I'm able to use his sauces with some of my recipes like the barbeque sauce, teriaki sauce, which is delicious! A must have book. Very easy and quick recipes for the everyday cook.

3.0 out of 5 stars Potential Problem for Hypertension patients, September 11, 2013
I received this book today and, consequently I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I already have a problem. Of the recipes I've checked so far, most will have to be reworked before I can use them. Unlike the author who was put on a sodium restricted diet due to congestive heart failure, my husband's problem is hypertension and the medication he's on precludes the use of potassium supplements and "salt substitutes" which are high in potassium. We've found in the months since his diagnosis that many "no salt added" products -- especially tomato products -- make up for the absence of salt with large amounts of potassium. Many of the recipes in this book call for "no salt added" products which achieve the "low sodium" designation while putting them off limits for persons on certain hypertension medications. I don't fault the author for this oversight but if you are wanting to get this book because you're cooking for someone with hypertension, be aware that depending on that person's medication you will have to rework certain recipes before you can use them. Consult with your doctor and I suggest developing a label reading habit bordering on obsessive.

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED, August 14, 2012
Thank you for this book-at last there is a low sodium cookbook that uses ingredients that you probably already have and recipes that are quick and are easy to understand. This is not just a rehash of his first low sodium cookbook (which I love also) but new recipes and revisions of some older recipes and they are quick and yummy!! The only part that I will not be using is the section dealing with slow cooker recipes as i do not use a slow cooker but the rest of the book is a winner!
Even if you are not on a low sodium diet this cookbook is great because you are using all fresh ingredients and you can be in and out of the kitchen in no time-and who doesn't love that!!!!
I have purchased about fifty low sodium cookbooks in the past year due to an illness in my family and most of them use way too many ingredients and take much too long to prepare, so this will now be added of my list of favorite cookbooks-
thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars ++RECIPE CORRECTION++ and Praise, November 19, 2013
B. Leveto "BevL(QB)" (Northeastern OH, USA) - See all my reviews
When my husband's heart problems were diagnosed a few months ago and his sodium intake was severely limited to 1500mgs or less per day, this was the first low sodium cookbook I bought. It really helped educate me on what has become a journey in low sodium living. Even with recipes I haven't made yet, the ingredients in them have helped guide me and have given me new ideas.

Anyone who is also trying to re-learn to cook low sodium knows that pretty much EVERYTHING must be made from scratch. This book's concentration is quick and easy meals either start to finish or quick and easy to prep and let cook on their own. I hesitate to say 15 minutes because it's more like 15-ish minutes, some take more time, some take less.

But the book really has a WIDE scope. Everything from low sodium substitutes for high sodium convenience products like salad dressings and BBQ sauces, even teriyaki sauce, through snacks, main dishes, breads, desserts and just about any type of food and category you can think of.

FAVORITE RECIPE: Make-Ahead Salad on page 298 (2012 edition). The dressing for this veggie salad has become my go-to recipe for pasta salad (make 1st dressing batch to marinate veggies like cauliflower and broccoli for 2-24 hours; 2nd batch to stir into cooked, cooled pasta and combine with veggies just before serving; add shredded carrots, low salt fresh mozzarella pearls and low salt organic goat cheese, sprinkle LIGHTLY with low salt shredded parmesan) . It's also become our go-to salad dressing by substituting balsamic vinegar (cut sugar in half) or wine vinegar for the cider vinegar. There's ALWAYS a bottle of this salad dressing sitting in our frig, although it really doesn't last long since everyone, even my kids, prefer it over any other dressings, even commercial ones.

++RECIPE ERROR++ Old-Time White Bread page 311 (2012 edition) calls for 1/4 cups (295 ml) water. RECIPE SHOULD READ: 1-1/4 cups (295 ml) water. I'm making this for the first time today and I didn't realize my mistake until my bread machine was already mixing. I went ahead and added the extra cup of warm water but I have no idea how it's going to turn out. Oddly, I could not find this error mentioned anywhere on the author's site. If I find any other errors, I'll update this review.

I've since gone on to purchase several other low sodium cookbooks; some were recommended on Dick Logue's site (lowsodiumcooking (dot) com) or through other links on his site. Many were through Amazon recs or recs from blogs devoted to low sodium lifestyles and cooking. This is still the one I recommend as a first low sodium cookbook because its recipes are so varied and less time consuming. Think of it as your every day low sodium cookbook.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, January 19, 2014
I received this cookbook a few days ago and after paging through it I am very disappointed! There are several soup recipes that call for vegetable broth and indicate that the recipe for that is on page 232. On turning to page 232 you won't find that recipe! Also, amounts of liquid ingredients seem to be inaccurate. That makes me skeptical of amounts in all of the recipes. Wonder if this book was proof read at all before being printed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes are pretty tasty, January 12, 2013
Only tried a few recipes but you don't really miss the salt. They are easy to read and easier to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really is easy and fast, if you have the ingredients at home., January 3, 2013
JFergesen (Bremerton, WA) - See all my reviews
This book is great and so far, all the food that I've made taste great!!!! The balsamic BBQ sauce recipe is amazing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good recipes, January 11, 2013
For me being on a 1/4 teaspoon a day regiment for salt intake (fun, right?) this book is a great help. Thanx for offering it.

2.0 out of 5 stars 500 15-Minute Low Sodium Recipes, April 4, 2013
This book has many recipes that call for canned ingrediants which are loaded with sodium. If you are restricted on your sodium due to heart problems chances are you are restricted to 2000 mil. a day. It is impossible to stay under 2000 if you use canned and prepared igrediants...even the ones labeled lower sodium.

Rate and Discover Movies